ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags internet issues , net neutrality

Old 13th June 2018, 08:34 PM   #81
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Now I live in a district where our rep would crawl on his hands and knees over broken glass just to piss in Turmp's diet soda (of course from the Steele Dossier, he may like that so the analogy may need some work). I don't get the feeling he needs my encouragement to destroy anything Trump is for.
This is a bit of a tangent, but the pee thing in the Steele Dossier involved women peeing on a bed that Obama slept in, not them peeing on Trump. The "Golden Shower" thing repeated by a bunch of the media is just wrong or overtly misleading.
Old 13th June 2018, 08:42 PM   #82
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
"Free market" doesn't really apply to internet data taken as a whole because it is much closer to being a natural monopoly (average cost of supply falls as supply increases). But specifically it is the fixed cost of the infrastructure that makes it that way, like it does for stuff like electricity, and even to an extent gas.

Over many years of discussing this here I have accepted that if (for whatever reason) the US will not separate transmission infrastructure from internet data service, such that the combined thing is an effective natural monopoly, then it should be treated as a utility which should mean at least a minimum speed for all traffic if not full neutrality.

If (as in many countries) infrastructure is separated and "unbundling" (sharing) it is made mandatory, then there are much lower barriers to competitive entry of data service providers. In that case they tend to provide neutrality for those who want it and speed tiered by content for those who don't. Although "labelling" in this regard is not exactly clear. (I suspect many people have little idea if their mobile data is network neutral or not)

In the UK (at least) I think there is emerging but not "hard" regulation on sharing of fibre infrastructure (much of which is built by private operators) right now.
I benefit from the use of differential pricing by the power company. I'm not sure why this one particular form of differential pricing by a utility is so much more egregious.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 02:49 AM   #83
Francesca R
Girl

If you mean a different electricity unit price at different times of day (which has been in operation for a long time in the UK), then it's qualitatively different from internet data where connection speed is differentiated by content or source. But both are demand or price management techniques, and once could imagine a movement getting up in arms about more expensive peak time electricity. I don't know that that has happened; there are some calls to regulate other types of dynamic pricing (EG Uber) and to some extent service providers are learning that whatever the economic efficiency of it the public/consumers are somewhat opposed anyway.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events