IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags trial , evolution , intelligent design , dover id trial

Old 18th October 2005, 09:09 AM   #41
Mojo
Mostly harmless

There's an amusing column about Behe's testimony by Mike Argento.

Some more of Argento's columns are linked from the ACLUPA blog.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2005, 05:47 PM   #42
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Argh! I have become a transcript junky! I need my fix!
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2005, 07:47 PM   #43
Ed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Argh! I have become a transcript junky! I need my fix!
Wait for the cross, wait for the cross
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 06:30 AM   #44
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Another Mike Argento column about Behe.

ETA: And one from New Scientist.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 06:37 AM   #45
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Nice.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 06:38 AM   #46
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

...but it is mere methadone...I need my transcripts...
Old 19th October 2005, 06:43 AM   #47
Pastor Bentonit
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
For deeper scientific insights into ID Creationism and the Dover case, try The Panda´s Thumb. Granted, the above column is fun to read, and these IDC clowns get all the ridicule they deserve.
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

"Scientist" is a profession. Science is a method. "Scientism" is neither a political ideology, nor a religion.
Pastor Bentonit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 06:50 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Could someone get a list of all these good links together so I can add them to the box on the forum homepage? - TIA
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 08:13 AM   #49
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Witness says God isn't only possible designer
Quote:
Behe testified Tuesday that intelligent design, unlike creationism, does not make references to religion or religious text. Although he said he believes that the intelligent designer is God, he said the intelligent design movement does not identify the designer and that there could be other causes.
Because any other, non-supernatural, designer then has the sticky question of the origins of the designer, doesn't it?

Anyway, this is really why I linked the article:
Quote:
But during the cross-examination of Behe, ACLU attorney Eric Rothschild reminded the court that the National Academy of Scientists, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and even the biology department at Lehigh University, have denounced the idea of intelligent design.

''So you have not been able to convince your colleagues,'' Rothschild said to Behe after reading a statement from Behe's peers.

The statement, posted on Lehigh's Web site, reads in part:

''While we respect Prof. Behe's right to express his views, they are his alone and are in no way endorsed by the department. It is our collective position that intelligent design has no basis in science, has not been tested experimentally, and should not be regarded as scientific.''

Behe said the department's statement has no scientific importance. ''Intelligent design is certainly not the dominant view of the scientific community,'' he said, ''but I'm very pleased with the progress we're making.''
Old 19th October 2005, 09:03 AM   #50
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Perhaps the problem is that the Church of England has lacked extremist, fundamentalist, waggly beard bigots for so long that the folk down south have forgotten what religious bigotry is like.
I hate religious bigotry. In fact, I despise all forms of inlaid decoration.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 09:33 AM   #51
tsg
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
...but it is mere methadone...I need my transcripts...
I feel your pain. I've still got a hole in my soul from the missing transcripts of Days 2(am), 3(am) and 4...

In the beginning there was nothing. And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!" And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.
tsg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 01:04 PM   #52
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

I think the plaintiffs should call Hovind to the stand.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 01:39 PM   #53
Ed
Philosopher

or Jack Chick

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1051/1051_01.asp
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2005, 03:25 PM   #54
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
I think the plaintiffs should call Hovind to the stand.
Thank you for editing out the apostrophe!

Old 19th October 2005, 11:52 PM   #55
c4ts
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Classic Chick! It has freaky looking kids, evil Semetic teachers, unsupported nonsense which is basically hate speech... But I liked it better when it was called Big Daddy. I miss the part about atoms being held together by Jesus!
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 01:03 AM   #56
Odin
Atheistic Aesir

I want to known on which day did God created Suzy, since she appears to be becoming intelligently designed into a hamster.

And if YOU believe in Evolution instead of Jesus (and how in Chickworld could you believe in both?) you'll end up in hell. So thats almost everyone I've ever known, most of whom are Christians, in Hell. What a nice loving religion Chick has, the worship of the appeal to fear.

"Then we didn't evolve! The system has been feeding us THE BIG LIE!"
-Jack T Chick

"Educators are actually evil
for refusing to teach students
Nature's 4 World Time Cube."
-Gene Ray

"Leo Jean has attained the highest spiritual status of any person on Earth. His spirit is one of the oldest and most powerful in the universe, and is the most powerful on Earth."
-Leo Jean
Odin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 02:15 AM   #57
chran
Muse

Originally Posted by Odin View Post

And if YOU believe in Evolution instead of Jesus (and how in Chickworld could you believe in both?) you'll end up in hell.
I love all the references to precious blood. That's surely something that all the kids will like!
chran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 02:32 AM   #58
Yahweh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Because any other, non-supernatural, designer then has the sticky question of the origins of the designer, doesn't it?
Of course the intelligent designer doesnt have to be God, only someone with the basic skillset and powers to create an entire functioning universe and humans in his image from the ground up.
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 02:32 AM   #59
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
Of course the intelligent designer doesnt have to be God, only someone with the basic skillset and powers to create an entire functioning universe and humans in his image from the ground up.
And is so simple that it didn't need to be designed.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 02:34 AM   #60
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And is so simple that it didn't need to be designed.

Hold on if it was so simple it didn't need a designer to design it that means that complexity can arise from simplicity.. oops...
Old 20th October 2005, 02:52 AM   #61
catbasket
Graduate Poster

From the New Scientist article (Mojo's link above) -

Talking about Behe's cross examination - "“You've got to admire the guy. It’s Daniel in the lion’s den,” says Robert Slade, a local retiree who has been attending the trial because he is interested in science. "But I can’t believe he teaches a college biology class.""

Sorry, Mr. Slade, I just cannot admire Behe.
catbasket is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 04:04 AM   #62
Euromutt
Graduate Poster

Well, it's a fine line between courage and stupidity, and I think I know which side Behe's on. Still, I think Mr. Slade's incredulity concerning Behe's academic chops is of more import to this case than his admiration of Behe's guts.
"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

by birth, by choice
Euromutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 04:52 AM   #63
catbasket
Graduate Poster

Agreed. Personally I read into Mr. Slade's comments that possibly the only thing he admired about Behe was his guts.
catbasket is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 05:21 AM   #64
Melendwyr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bighairygoat View Post
Agreed. Personally I read into Mr. Slade's comments that possibly the only thing he admired about Behe was his guts.
He certainly couldn't admire his brains, that's for sure.
Melendwyr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 06:07 AM   #65
Moose
Self-Propelled Road Hazard

Okay, I think I'm officially in "transcript withdrawl". These short articles aren't doing it for me anymore.
Moose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 06:23 AM   #66
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

I'm not sure if I can admire Behe's guts. If he had them, he'd come up with a testable ID hypothesis and test it.

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 06:32 AM   #67
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BronzeDog View Post
I'm not sure if I can admire Behe's guts. If he had them, he'd come up with a testable ID hypothesis and test it.
If he had guts, he would state clearly what he wants: A religious tyranny.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 06:52 AM   #68
catbasket
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BronzeDog View Post
I'm not sure if I can admire Behe's guts.
On display in a natural history museum as an example of some of the wonderful things evolution has produced? "This, children, is the alimentary canal."
Old 20th October 2005, 06:57 AM   #69
Dr Adequate
Banned

"And this is the theory of intelligent design, which emerges from this end."
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 07:58 AM   #70
catbasket
Graduate Poster

Transcripts for days 7, 8 and 9 are available here.
Old 20th October 2005, 08:17 AM   #71
catbasket
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Could someone get a list of all these good links together so I can add them to the box on the forum homepage? - TIA
ACLUPA blog
A "creationist science" text book becomes an "intelligent design" textbook
Dover trial transcripts (Not yet updated with days 7, 8 and 9)
Audio analysis
Mike Argento column
Mike Argento column 2
New Scientist column

How's that?
Old 20th October 2005, 08:57 AM   #72
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Great thanks
Old 20th October 2005, 09:07 AM   #73
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The first session of Behe is up as well now, but no cross yet.

Old 20th October 2005, 09:16 AM   #74
Moose
Self-Propelled Road Hazard

W00t! My hero!

[edit:] Wait. Where? All I'm seeing are the two transcripts for day 6 on the ACLU:Pennsylvania site.

[edit again:] Never mind, I found em. They hadn't updated the transcript page yet.
Moose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 09:28 AM   #75
Melendwyr
Master Poster

Arrgah! I can't stand it when people try claiming that science and religious faith are compatible. They're nothing of the sort, which is precisely why it's inappropriate to teach religious doctrines in a science class.
Melendwyr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 09:55 AM   #76
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

I'm not a scientist, but I do look like one.

In glancing through Behe's testimony, nuch is made of the fact that biological structures are referred to as machines, and that this is not a metaphor, but a definition of the structure. Behe then says that because it is a machine, that means it's designed.

If I toss a loose deck of cards into a corner, one or more of the cards may be propped against the wall. That propped card is an inclined plane, a simple machine. Would Behe's "inductive reasoning" lead him to believe that it was designed, or would he concede that a machine can be produced through random processes?

The other point I'd like to make is about the "simple test" that neither side will do: take a bacteria with no flagellum and, over the course of a couple of years, apply selective pressures over 10,000 generations. If the bacteria develop flagella, that would, according to the article, "prove" evolution.

To me, this a very poorly designed test that would prove nothing to either side.

Outcome 1: No flagellum.
ID: See? God/Designer did it.
Evolutionist: What made us think we could apply just the right combination of selective pressures to produce the predetermined outcome? This is stupid! It proves nothing.

Outcome 2: Flagellum.
ID: See? God/Designer did it.
Evolutionist: Wow! I did it! Man, I hope someone else is able to read my notes and replicate this sucker!
Old 20th October 2005, 12:47 PM   #77
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/new...10_18_2005.asp

please read the last paragraph carefully...
This is really, really troubling. Frightening, even...
science standing in the way of an education?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2005, 03:56 PM   #78
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/new...10_18_2005.asp

please read the last paragraph carefully...
This is really, really troubling. Frightening, even...
science standing in the way of an education?
Frightening, yes. But also illustrative of the fact that ID is one big hoax--they know it's not science.
Old 20th October 2005, 06:56 PM   #79
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Frightening, yes. But also illustrative of the fact that ID is one big hoax--they know it's not science.
One thing that bothers me about all the legal wrangling is that logic goes out the window.
The "Watchmaker" bit about assuming a designer bothers me. If I see an inanimate mechanism, yes, I assume a designer. A Chevy small block canot reproduce, or we'd all be up to our ears in them.
some things-An arch, for example, I can ascribe to natural processes-the Desert Southwest is full of the bloody things. But the anthropomorphization (Huh?) of watches and such by comparing them to living beings escapes me.
Maybe I'm not logical enough?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2005, 03:18 AM   #80
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
One thing that bothers me about all the legal wrangling is that logic goes out the window.
The "Watchmaker" bit about assuming a designer bothers me. If I see an inanimate mechanism, yes, I assume a designer. A Chevy small block canot reproduce, or we'd all be up to our ears in them.
some things-An arch, for example, I can ascribe to natural processes-the Desert Southwest is full of the bloody things. But the anthropomorphization (Huh?) of watches and such by comparing them to living beings escapes me.
Maybe I'm not logical enough?
I feel the same way about mousetraps. The most damning aspect of the mousetrap as a useful analogy is the fact that it requires a human (or a clever orangutan, perhaps) to set it and bait it in order for it to have any capability whatsoever for trapping mice. How can this be compared to a living thing?
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight