IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:37 AM   #201
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Anyway, whilst ‘Really old lady dies’ should not be a news story (at least not for very long) this will be milked for bloody weeks… I’m going to be really grateful for streaming and YouTube…
There are not many news events that will knock practically every other item off the air (in the US) for quite some time. This is one of them. I don't know why -- she hasn't been a high-profile figure in the news much at all. I think the last time I saw any reporting was when The PDJT made a state visit.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:38 AM   #202
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Edited out. Sorry, my post was nonsense.

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 8th September 2022 at 11:44 AM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:39 AM   #203
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I'm wondering if someone in the Royal Navy needs to go officially rename all their ships?
Aren't they all mostly just called HMS Whatever? That won't need to change.

Last edited by Matthew Best; 8th September 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:39 AM   #204
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet;13896972[HILITE
]I thought Liz had decreed Camilla was not to be called that?[/hilite]

At least "His" and Her" both begin with Haitch.
She's dead. The King decides.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:40 AM   #205
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Best headline, on Fark, of course:

Queen reunites with Freddie Mercury
Old 8th September 2022, 11:41 AM   #206
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Oh FFS!

On another forum one of my internet alter egos frequents, on which politics is not allowed to be discussed, there is such an outpouring of sycophantic, myth-swallowing bollocks...And all from non-Brits, who, of course, know everything.

This is part of what pisses me off about the whole circus: hello other parts of the world, if you like this bunch so much, please take them...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:45 AM   #207
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I thought Liz had decreed Camilla was not to be called that?
I had to look it up. I remember there was a lot of resentment from Diana fans when Charles and Camilla married and remarks that Camilla shouldn't be queen. It was originally intended that she would be "princess consort" but the late queen said just this year she wanted Camilla to take the title "queen consort".
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:45 AM   #208
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I thought Liz had decreed Camilla was not to be called that?

At least "His" and Her" both begin with Haitch.
No, it was announced a little while back, when I heard it I was pretty certain they thought she was on her last legs as Charles wanted it clear what Camilla would be known as i.e. Queen Camilla.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:46 AM   #209
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
She has been a great monarch possibly the greatest.
The best monarch is a dead one
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:47 AM   #210
Rolfe
Adult human female

It's really serious. They've cancelled tonight's Prom.

Although I saw a tweet from Scottish Opera saying that their show will go ahead tonight.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:48 AM   #211
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Oh FFS!

On another forum one of my internet alter egos frequents, on which politics is not allowed to be discussed, there is such an outpouring of sycophantic, myth-swallowing bollocks...And all from non-Brits, who, of course, know everything.

This is part of what pisses me off about the whole circus: hello other parts of the world, if you like this bunch so much, please take them...
It's like playing with other people's kids and pets: they're quite fun when you know you can hand them back.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:48 AM   #212
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Is this what caused the Oval Test to be rained off?
Old 8th September 2022, 11:50 AM   #213
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
It's really serious. They've cancelled tonight's Prom.

Although I saw a tweet from Scottish Opera saying that their show will go ahead tonight.
Not just tonight's. Proms season has ended early.

Tonight they just got the national anthem*, Nimrod, then quietly leave the stage.

*American orchestra I think. So they got My country tis of thee instead.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:51 AM   #214
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Look on the bright side - if nothing else has diminished public desire for keeping the Royle Family in luxury, that homeopathic-loving, murderous regime-loving wanker who owns most of Cornwall being king should do the job very nicely.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:51 AM   #215
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oh FFS!

And of course we now seem to have collective amnesia about how close she brought the country to republicanism with her response to the death of Diana.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:53 AM   #216
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Film in the village hall, Elvis, is cancelled.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:53 AM   #217
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So, bye then, Her Maj

A whole era has ended.

Thank you, Ma'am.

So, hello, King Charles III

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 11:55 AM   #218
wobs
Master Poster

Will John Lydon re-record the Sex Pistols song?
Old 8th September 2022, 12:10 PM   #219
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Not just tonight's. Proms season has ended early.

Tonight they just got the national anthem*, Nimrod, then quietly leave the stage.

*American orchestra I think. So they got My country tis of thee instead.
At least we don't have to change the words...
Old 8th September 2022, 12:11 PM   #220
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Will John Lydon re-record the Sex Pistols song?
If he did, it would be to say how monarchists are the real punks now.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:11 PM   #221
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Paging Sir Elton!

Seems to me, she lived her life
Like a very very long candle in a very slight wind...
Old 8th September 2022, 12:13 PM   #222
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Grrrrrrr.

Don't you just hate they are calling it 'the passing of the Queen'.

Just say, 'death', dang you.

Did she pass you in the street? No. Did she pass an exam? No. Did she pass a driving test. Er, yes.

But as the Liverpudlian famously said, on seeing a lifeless dog in the street, "The ******'s de-eed'.

Last edited by zooterkin; 8th September 2022 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Rule 10
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:16 PM   #223
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She's been a respected international figure for longer than most of us have been alive. Not really a time to sneer.

And latest official announcement refers to "the King and Queen Consort." Sounds like they move fast.
Hardly sneering, just observing. I have no time for the monarchy but amongst all of them I had a modicum of respect for the Queen.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:18 PM   #224
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Grrrrrrr.

Did she pass you in the street? No. Did she pass an exam? No. Did she pass a driving test. Er, yes.

I don't think anyone is getting confused about the meaning of "passing" in that context.
Old 8th September 2022, 12:18 PM   #225
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Oh FFS!

Well, I do feel sorry for our British members.
After all, both the funeral and the coronation will need to be done in full Imperial style to show the rest of the world, and especially the EU, the greatness that is the UK.

And well, that money will need to come from somewhere and taxing the rich is out, so I guess all those promises about helping with the cost of living crisis are out the window now.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:21 PM   #226
Mid
Graduate Poster

So when do we get to see Charles pull the magical sword out of the stone to prove he's the real next king?
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:36 PM   #227
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Grrrrrrr.

But as the Liverpudlian famously said, on seeing a lifeless dog in the street, "The ******'s de-eed'.
Hmmm….

I suspect she has departed.

Last edited by zooterkin; 8th September 2022 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Rule 10
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:38 PM   #228
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
No, the Royal Standard does not change (although there's a minor variation in the version flown in Scotland).
Happy to stand corrected
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:44 PM   #229
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Her Majesty is a pretty nice girl
But she doesn't have a lot to say
But she changes from day to day
I wanna tell her that I love her a lot
But I gotta get a belly full of wine
Someday I'm gonna make her mine, oh yeah
Someday I'm gonna make her mine
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:47 PM   #230
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Grrrrrrr.

I have to wonder then if the thread starter was Liverpudlian.
Quote:
UK Queen deed? Dying?
I'll concede that it may be a common joke that I'm unfamiliar with on this side of the pond.

Last edited by zooterkin; 8th September 2022 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Rule 10
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:48 PM   #231
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Bye bye Brenda. The most sane of the lot by a long way.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:51 PM   #232
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder then if the thread starter was Liverpudlian.

I'll concede that it may be a common joke that I'm unfamiliar with on this side of the pond.
I was thinking "deed" is how they'll announce it down under
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:53 PM   #233
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Thank **** Trump wasn't President, I can only imagine the speech in which doubtless he would have claimed that she said he would have made a great king and that she was maybe a six.

Last edited by The Don; 8th September 2022 at 01:01 PM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:58 PM   #234
Ron Obvious
Muse

Well, no ads on BT Sport's coverage of the Europa League tonight.

Had she died a day earlier, we it would have been during the Champions' League. Still, can't have everything.

Interestingly, "The scheduled program will resume shortly" was just corrected to "scheduled programme". One assumes the American intern was just clipped on the ear for that one.

Very subdued so far, but a perfectly-observed minute silence. I'll give them that. Likely no Premier League this weekend, I imagine.
Old 8th September 2022, 01:00 PM   #235
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Well, no ads on BT Sport's coverage of the Europa League tonight.

Had she died a day earlier, we it would have been during the Champions' League. Still, can't have everything.

Interestingly, "The scheduled program will resume shortly" was just corrected to "scheduled programme". One assumes the American intern was just clipped on the ear for that one.

Very subdued so far, but a perfectly-observed minute silence. I'll give them that. Likely no Premier League this weekend, I imagine.
Hmm when our president had his brain splattered in Dallas, the NFL still went on as usual the next Sunday. Different cultures I spoze.
Old 8th September 2022, 01:15 PM   #236
Francesca R
Girl

I have a dinner date tomorrow around Covent Garden. Hoping the place doesn't close out of respect and that the crowds from The Mall don't reach back that far.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:17 PM   #237
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Thank **** Trump wasn't President
Thank **** BloJob wasn't PM. Recon she was hanging on until he finally ****** off.

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:17 PM   #238
Ron Obvious
Muse

Hmm when our president had his brain splattered in Dallas, the NFL still went on as usual the next Sunday. Different cultures I spoze.
It's still being discussed at an emergency meeting, I understand. The result will tell us a lot about modern British culture.
Old 8th September 2022, 01:22 PM   #239
Francesca R
Girl

Shirley they already decided this yonks ago. At least Amazon will still show the US open
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:27 PM   #240
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

There was discussion of canceling football, but TPTB felt that JFK would have wanted the games to go on. Unfortunately, they failed to consider that a lot of people didn't think it was appropriate, and the NFL was heavily criticized as a result.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events