IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:45 PM   #3321
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Not free stuff. Health care and higher education for all paid for by our taxes, just as it is in most other advanced countries, and the same way we pay for a $750 billion military budget.
When I crank up the sarcasm like that, ever the dreamer, I hope that this kind of stuff is dialectically revealed out of opposition to its absurdity.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:47 PM   #3322
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You know how paranoid it sounds when people believe no one is voting for Biden, they are all only voting against Sanders?

Not saying that isn't true for some or isn't partially true for some. I'm not sure voting for the lesser of two evils counts as only voting against Sanders.

I'll be voting against Trump. That's my priority. If there was a better candidate than Biden, I'd be voting against him too. I'm still holding out some hope Warren can gain some traction.
Yet pragmatic strategic voting has been one of the strongest themes in this thread.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:54 PM   #3323
Cabbage
Banned

You know how paranoid it sounds when people believe no one is voting for Biden, they are all only voting against Sanders?

Do you know how biased you sound when you attribute such a comment to Beelzebuddy when in fact he/she said no such thing?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:57 PM   #3324
The_Animus
Illuminator

I think Biden is going to win Super Tuesday today. The combination of his strong showing in SC, the democratic establishment and more importantly the corporate media's dislike of Sanders and the way they cover the election, Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropping out and endorsing Biden, and Warren staying in the race. All of this will amount to a boost for Biden that will net him the most delegates after today.

In this case I'd prefer to be wrong, but that's what I see happening.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:09 PM   #3325
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
I think Biden is going to win Super Tuesday today. The combination of his strong showing in SC, the democratic establishment and more importantly the corporate media's dislike of Sanders and the way they cover the election, Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropping out and endorsing Biden, and Warren staying in the race. All of this will amount to a boost for Biden that will net him the most delegates after today.

In this case I'd prefer to be wrong, but that's what I see happening.
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:48 PM   #3326
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'll just note the obvious point that when Trump is accusing the Democratic Party of ripping off Bernie, Bernie is their preferred guy to face in the election. I saw an excellent piece the other day that exposed Sanders' complete lack of success in 1000 years in the Senate and it made me realise he's a pretty hollow character.

Since Liz Warren clearly has no chance, and given that beating Trump is the main priority, it's obvious to me Biden is the best hope of deposing The King.

Yes, I've said before he would be a terrible choice, and I still think that, but the other choices seem to be worse. (Except Warren, who's probably a victim of good old US misogyny. I don't see many blokes at her rallies.)
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:52 PM   #3327
Elagabalus
Philosopher

"They"

A lot of Democrats support Sanders, a lot of them feel he's an Independent running in the Democratic Party Primary and should be running as an Independent. And some of us simply feel he's going to lose to Trump and that's a risk we don't want to take.

Biden is only a little less risky, but he is less risky.

Some of us feel that none of the them can beat Trump.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:55 PM   #3328
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'll just note the obvious point that when Trump is accusing the Democratic Party of ripping off Bernie, Bernie is their preferred guy to face in the election. I saw an excellent piece the other day that exposed Sanders' complete lack of success in 1000 years in the Senate and it made me realise he's a pretty hollow character.

Since Liz Warren clearly has no chance, and given that beating Trump is the main priority, it's obvious to me Biden is the best hope of deposing The King.

Yes, I've said before he would be a terrible choice, and I still think that, but the other choices seem to be worse. (Except Warren, who's probably a victim of good old US misogyny. I don't see many blokes at her rallies.)
So you read a Warren supporter hatchet article.
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:20 PM   #3329
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's like the Oscars.

"You don't deserve Best Picture this year, but we're giving it to you anyway because you deserved it last year and we gave it to someone who didn't deserve it because we shafted them the year before when they did deserve it."
It's her turn!
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:21 PM   #3330
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If the slimeballs in the mainstream media did a little bit of critical thinking they wouldn't have a story.
This sounds like something Trump could say. Well, except for the critical thinking part.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:28 PM   #3331
Venom
Illuminator

I'd also like to be wrong about Biden winning but it appears he has great momentum.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:29 PM   #3332
Marcus
Illuminator

I have always thought that Biden, despite his shortcomings, has the best chance of beating Trump. I have a feeling that tonight we will see him pull ahead.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:35 PM   #3333
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Bloomberg has won America Samoa which is a weird sentence to type.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:42 PM   #3334
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Bloomberg has won America Samoa which is a weird sentence to type.
I saw that amongst a list of predictions on Twitter yesterday. Thought it was interesting at the time.
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:43 PM   #3335
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'd also like to be wrong about Biden winning but it appears he has great momentum.
Joe-mentum?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:51 PM   #3336
SezMe
post-pre-born

//Doublepost//

/hijack/ Is anyone else doubleposting a lot more then normal lately, and not just in the long threads?
No, but let me offer two possible explanations:
  1. Your opinion is worth twice everyone else's opinion so it should be state twice; or
  2. Your opinion is worth half as much as everyone else's so it has to be posted twice to make up for the discounted value.
Your choice.

PS: I'm just kidding. I don't want to start yet another pissing contest.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:24 PM   #3337
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

told the seniors at the nursing home i work at that the van is broken down and i can’t take them to the polling place. that’s 60 less votes for biden lol
https://twitter.com/tonybeast1957/st...024121877?s=21
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:25 PM   #3338
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Voting for my preferred democrat.
Warren it the smartest and most organized of the lot.

I don't understand at this point voting for who you think will win. Jumping on a bandwagon so you can say you voted for the winner?

After the Democratic candidate is selected, will you still vote for who you think will win in the general election?
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:30 PM   #3339
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Voting for my preferred democrat.
Warren it the smartest and most organized of the lot.

I don't understand at this point voting for who you think will win. Jumping on a bandwagon so you can say you voted for the winner?

After the Democratic candidate is selected, will you still vote for who you think will win in the general election?
You could try harder for a charitable take on what our advocates of pragmatic choices have argued in this thread.

Mine is they hate Bernie and they are pumping anyone that isnít him.
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:33 PM   #3340
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One thing is clear;Sanders is not going to land a knock out blow tonight.
Now it is going to be trench warfare between Biden and Sanders.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:37 PM   #3341
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This might be it for Warren though. She's only getting about 23% in Mass. so far and she's trailing Bloomberg for even 3rd everywhere else.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:43 PM   #3342
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This might be it for Warren though. She's only getting about 23% in Mass. so far and she's trailing Bloomberg for even 3rd everywhere else.
As President, maybe. But as a VEEP if Biden gets the nod, she has a lot of upside.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:55 PM   #3343
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
So you read a Warren supporter hatchet article.
Nope. Her results are what matters and she's not getting the right ones.
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:58 PM   #3344
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

told the seniors at the nursing home i work at that the van is broken down and i canít take them to the polling place. thatís 60 less votes for biden lol
https://twitter.com/tonybeast1957/st...024121877?s=21

Uh, I were a Berniebro, I would not be making jokes about senior citizens....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:11 PM   #3345
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Uh, I were a Berniebro, I would not be making jokes about senior citizens....
Who is making jokes?
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:19 PM   #3346
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yeah, Warren losing Massachusetts will be humbling. She should have dropped out before as she will have less credibility if she wants to be a running mate now. You canít claim to bring votes with you if you lose your own home state.

Biden is probably going to win this now. If he finishes Super Tuesday ahead then I think everyone should concede.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:20 PM   #3347
The_Animus
Illuminator

Just like if there was 1 person who disagreed with slavery, and 9 who wanted to keep it so slavery continued to be the norm, it's absolutely that 1 guys fault nothing got done and there is still a civil rights problem because hes obviously a pretty hollow character. Those 9 guys who worked to keep the status quo, well it's not their fault at all!

Also
https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...t-achievements

Last edited by The_Animus; 3rd March 2020 at 07:23 PM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:33 PM   #3348
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, Warren losing Massachusetts will be humbling. She should have dropped out before as she will have less credibility if she wants to be a running mate now. You canít claim to bring votes with you if you lose your own home state.

Biden is probably going to win this now. If he finishes Super Tuesday ahead then I think everyone should concede.
Sanders should stay and fight this out to the end. Keep pushing a positive vision for America. Even if he doesnít win this youthful groundswell will continue and influence the political landscape while opposition will fade away.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:37 PM   #3349
Distracted1
Philosopher

Primaries over folks- an entire 1/3 of the votes have been cast. The rest of you can just live with what the wiser folks in Iowa and New Hampshire decided.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:41 PM   #3350
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Primaries over folks- an entire 1/3 of the votes have been cast. The rest of you can just live with what the wiser folks in Iowa and New Hampshire decided.
Iím having trouble reading this as either serious commentary or as parody. What do you mean?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:47 PM   #3351
Distracted1
Philosopher

Iím having trouble reading this as either serious commentary or as parody. What do you mean?
Commentary on the ridiculousness of the process. The calls for everyone to withdraw, etc.

If we are going to keep voting as a part of the primary process, it should be done everywhere simultaneously, Democrats in later States should have the same slate of candidates to choose from as those in early States. The way it is, voters place too much import on a candidates' momentum. And the primary ends before it has even begun in 2/3 of the Nation.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:47 PM   #3352
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Just like if there was 1 person who disagreed with slavery, and 9 who wanted to keep it so slavery continued to be the norm, it's absolutely that 1 guys fault nothing got done and there is still a civil rights problem because hes obviously a pretty hollow character. Those 9 guys who worked to keep the status quo, well it's not their fault at all!
Srsly? Using slavery as an analogy for a free vote?

Wow.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:54 PM   #3353
Cabbage
Banned

Srsly? Using slavery as an analogy for a free vote?

Wow.

Nope. He's pointing out "Don't blame the minority for being blocked by the majority".

You're Welcome!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:59 PM   #3354
xjx388
Philosopher

It is extremely perplexing to me that my county in Texas, a Democrat stronghold, voted heavily for Bloomberg; I expected Sanders to walk away with an easy win here. The results aren't totally in yet but it's 30% Bloomberg, 25% Sanders and 20% Biden. It's rather surprising to me . . .
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:11 PM   #3355
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Even if he doesnít win this youthful groundswell will continue and influence the political landscape while opposition will fade away.
You should see our youth. Ten percent of them are making plans to shoot up their school.
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:18 PM   #3356
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You should see our youth. Ten percent of them are making plans to shoot up their school.
You should see the 84% percent of boomers who repost every scary made up statistic they see online. What was it like in your day?
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:27 PM   #3357
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

When I was a kid nobody shot up the school.
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:45 PM   #3358
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
When I was a kid nobody shot up the school.
You and I both know the NRA would never have a bar of a blackpowder muzzle-loader only restriction.
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:51 PM   #3359
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We need a Democrat candidate running on a platform of making all pistols illegal and door-to-door confiscation. There are too many shootings.
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:51 PM   #3360
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Nope. He's pointing out "Don't blame the minority for being blocked by the majority".

You're Welcome!
Glad someone gets it
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics