IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 08:08 AM   #3401
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Bloomberg has won America Samoa which is a weird sentence to type.
Hey, Tulsi got a delegate there though!!!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:14 AM   #3402
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Bloomberg officially out, no word on endorsements.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:24 AM   #3403
Doubt
Philosopher

Bloomberg officially out, no word on endorsements.
The best thing Bloomberg can do right now is ignore the remaining candidates and spend his money on PACs attacking Trump. And make sure Trump knows it. Be the rodeo clown to keep the president distracted.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:25 AM   #3404
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Can't help but have a tremendous sense of dread as the party gets ready to launch Hillary 2.0 into the Trump machine.
The only silver lining is that more people are voting not-Biden than Biden.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:25 AM   #3405
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Update: Bloomberg to endorse Biden.

“I’ve always believed that defeating Donald Trump starts with uniting behind the candidate with the best shot to do it. After yesterday’s vote, it is clear that candidate is my friend and a great American, Joe Biden.

I’ve known Joe for a very long time. I know his decency, his honesty, and his commitment to the issues that are so important to our country – including gun safety, health care, climate change, and good jobs.

I’ve had the chance to work with Joe on those issues over the years, and Joe has fought for working people his whole life. Today I am glad to endorse him – and I will work to make him the next President of the United States."

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-results-2020/
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:28 AM   #3406
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

“I’ve always believed that defeating Donald Trump starts with uniting behind the candidate with the best shot to do it. After yesterday’s vote, it is clear that candidate is my friend and a great American, Joe Biden.

I’ve known Joe for a very long time. I know his decency, his honesty, and his commitment to the issues that are so important to our country – including gun safety, health care, climate change, and good jobs.

I’ve had the chance to work with Joe on those issues over the years, and Joe has fought for working people his whole life. Today I am glad to endorse him – and I will work to make him the next President of the United States."

"As a plutocrat, I'm going to support the guy who slavishly serves the financial interests of the plutocracy. This surprises all of you. Now you shall applaud."
Old 4th March 2020, 08:30 AM   #3407
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Slavery got abolished because the minority became the majority. Because one became two became four, and those four fought fought for what they believed in, and became nine. The abolitionists won converts to their cause. That's why their cause ultimately prevailed. What's Bernie been up to, his whole political career?

Looks to me like he's trying to build a coalition of voters.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:32 AM   #3408
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The only silver lining is that more people are voting not-Biden than Biden.
There is also this:

https://people.howstuffworks.com/wha...idate-dies.htm
Old 4th March 2020, 08:32 AM   #3409
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
The best thing Bloomberg can do right now is ignore the remaining candidates and spend his money on PACs attacking Trump. And make sure Trump knows it. Be the rodeo clown to keep the president distracted.
I agree, and said that a few days ago also.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:35 AM   #3410
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
The point being that "try" isn't the same as "do", and (unlike, say, the abolitionists) he's been trying for a long time without much success converting that into doing.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:39 AM   #3411
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Have to admire the pragmatism of the centrists. They've identified their champion and unified in support, giving Biden the best opportunity to win this thing for them.

Warren needs to drop out. She's a smart person, she understands quite well that her continued candidacy only weakens the chances that a progressive will secure the nomination.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:43 AM   #3412
Cabbage
Banned

The point being that "try" isn't the same as "do", and (unlike, say, the abolitionists) he's been trying for a long time without much success converting that into doing.
Actually, that wasn't the point. The point was not blaming the minority for being blocked by the majority.

And I thought you didn't care about the opinions of sci-fi muppets.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:48 AM   #3413
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Bloomberg is out.

I guess the Dems can pat themselves on their backs for a bit for not letting someone buy their nomination.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:57 AM   #3414
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

CNN reports that an unnamed Warren aid states that she is "Assessing the path forward" so... I kind of think the writing is on the wall.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:00 AM   #3415
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, that wasn't the point. The point was not blaming the minority for being blocked by the majority.
I don't think the original comment was blaming Sanders for the actions of the majority. It seemed like it was just pointing out that his entire political career, Sanders has sucked at converting his minority into an influential plurality at the national level.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:01 AM   #3416
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm just glad I'll still be able to buy a soda bigger then 20 ounces.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:02 AM   #3417
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Bloomberg is out.

I guess the Dems can pat themselves on their backs for a bit for not letting someone buy their nomination.
I've said some pretty nasty things, here and elsewhere, about centrist dems. I would like to humbly acknowledge that the heart of the party is not entirely cold and dead.

Watching the entire debate stage cooperatively beat Bloomberg to death on live TV is probably one of the great examples of party unity and fellowship in recent memory. Anti-Bloomberg solidarity is strong.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:06 AM   #3418
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm just glad I'll still be able to buy a soda bigger then 20 ounces.
And the price of insulin goes up. The system works!
Old 4th March 2020, 09:33 AM   #3419
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"As a plutocrat, I'm going to support the guy who slavishly serves the financial interests of the plutocracy. This surprises all of you. Now you shall applaud."
Well it was quite unlikely that someone like Bloomberg would ever support someone like Sanders.

Therefore, for Bloomberg, the obvious choice for his support would be for Biden.

By the way, with all of this sudden Biden support, then I sure do hope that this becomes known as the moment where Trump actually does lose the presidential race.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:55 AM   #3420
Cabbage
Banned

I don't think the original comment was blaming Sanders for the actions of the majority. It seemed like it was just pointing out that his entire political career, Sanders has sucked at converting his minority into an influential plurality at the national level.

And I don't think that's necessarily the fault of Sanders. Do you think anyone can compromise with someone as obstinate as Mitch McConnell, for example? I don't.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:59 AM   #3421
xjx388
Philosopher

And I don't think that's necessarily the fault of Sanders. Do you think anyone can compromise with someone as obstinate as Mitch McConnell, for example? I don't.
If Sanders had been successful at builing a nationwide coalition of voters who want the same things he wants, there would be no Mitch McConnell to contend with.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:07 AM   #3422
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think anyone is blaming Sanders for not compromising with McConnell.

I think the point is, Sanders has not been successful at building the kind of voting bloc that can effectively press his policy at the national level.

The abolitionists were never going to compromise with Jefferson Davis. They didn't have to, though, because they were able to grow their movement from an ineffectual minority to a majority that was willing and able to go to war to prevent Davis from getting his way.

I don't know that it's necessarily Bernie's fault that he hasn't been able to accomplish a minority-majority conversion at the national level. But the fact is... He hasn't.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:24 AM   #3423
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The eventual winner should ideally have a majority of the voters and delegates hind them before the convention (not just a plurality).
What do you recommend if that candidate simply does not exist? Sincere question.
I don't really have an answer or a solution for that.

In a brokered convention, either Sanders wins, or he loses (and probably Biden wins).

If Sanders wins, a good chunk of the moderates will sit out on election day. If Sanders loses, BernieBros will once again complain about how they were robbed. And since BernieBros tend on average tend to be more irrational than other democrats (witness the percentage who said they wouldn't automatically support the eventual winner) the problem would be worse.

The one solution that would minimize the backlash would be to give it to Warren (she'd be slightly more appealing to moderates than Sanders, and might minimize the BernieBros whining "Waaahh! Nobody loves us progressives") But since she's likely to end up a distant 3rd in delegates (even if she makes it to the end) it wouldn't be fair to do so.

Yup.... Democrats are screwed. A field of over a dozen candidates (Many of whom had a decent track record) and they have to gravitate towards 2 senior citizens... one gaff prone, another an aging hippy with heart problems.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 10:32 AM   #3424
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Anyone notice that the more Sanders feels he is certain to win, the more he speaks out about the Democratic Party being 'other', not one of his crowd?
Quote:
He has been seen as the other to the Democratic Party and enemy for a while now. Might as well lean into it.
Quote:
Uhhh... no. He may end up being the Democratic nominee. He will need all possible resources to battle Trump. Pissing off a good chunk of those resources is not the way to go.
Yeah, it's OK only if you piss off the good chunk that supports Bernie.
First of all, your argument seems to come down to "whataboutism"... "Bernie and supporters were treated bad, so its ok for Bernie to treat others bad". Not exactly an argument that is very smart to make.

Secondly, we aren't talking about some individual posters on some on-line forum. We are talking about the activities of the party leaders. Sanders himself is painting things as an "us or them" in an attack against certain democrats. Maybe I overlooked it, but I don't recall either Hillary (in 2016) or any of the current Democratic front runners claiming that Democrats who support Sanders are somehow "not democrats".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:13 AM   #3425
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
...... A field of over a dozen candidates (Many of whom had a decent track record) and they have to gravitate towards 2 senior citizens... one gaff prone, another an aging hippy with heart problems.
It's kind of amazing.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #3426
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
It's kind of amazing.
It's disappointing, is what it is. It's like 2016 didn't happen and the Democrats aren't in need of a fresh, powerful candidate.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #3427
Suddenly
No Punting

I don't really have an answer or a solution for that.

In a brokered convention, either Sanders wins, or he loses (and probably Biden wins).

If Sanders wins, a good chunk of the moderates will sit out on election day. If Sanders loses, BernieBros will once again complain about how they were robbed. And since BernieBros tend on average tend to be more irrational than other democrats (witness the percentage who said they wouldn't automatically support the eventual winner) the problem would be worse.

The thing about the BernieBros, when we are talking about the more unhinged of the Sanders supporters that make a lot of noise and act like morons, not many of them were Democrats in the first place and would have never voted for a Democrat if Sanders weren't involved. Sanders' path to victory was never by traditional party unity. It was crossover appeal.

Consider Reagan in 1980. He ran towards right wing loons and disillusioned labor democrats and won comfortably even though there was a third party candidate (John Anderson) who was a moderate (by 1980 standards) Republican taking 7% of the vote.

Same idea with Sanders. Except the left and, well, that same disillusioned labor demographic.

The concern over Biden shouldn't be losing votes to his left that the Democrats would have never had anyway; it should be losing those disillusioned labor votes the same that Hillary did.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:18 AM   #3428
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And last night showed he has a long way to go.
He has to appeal to people outise his progressive base. And I submit he has done a not very good job of it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:20 AM   #3429
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

First of all, your argument seems to come down to "whataboutism"... "Bernie and supporters were treated bad, so its ok for Bernie to treat others bad". Not exactly an argument that is very smart to make.

Secondly, we aren't talking about some individual posters on some on-line forum. We are talking about the activities of the party leaders. Sanders himself is painting things as an "us or them" in an attack against certain democrats. Maybe I overlooked it, but I don't recall either Hillary (in 2016) or any of the current Democratic front runners claiming that Democrats who support Sanders are somehow "not democrats".
Bernie is attacking the very people whose help he will need to win in November if he gets the nomination. Not a bright move.
If the Berniebros think they can do what Trump did, basically take over the party and drive the moderates out, they have another thing coming.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:22 AM   #3430
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well it was quite unlikely that someone like Bloomberg would ever support someone like Sanders.

Therefore, for Bloomberg, the obvious choice for his support would be for Biden.

By the way, with all of this sudden Biden support, then I sure do hope that this becomes known as the moment where Trump actually does lose the presidential race.
I can't see the future, of course, but Biden, with all his flaws,..and he is a long way from being my first choice ... has a much better chance of beating Trump then Sanders does.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:23 AM   #3431
carlitos
"más divertido"

Look at the bright side - our next President will feel right at home with the rest of the world leaders, like Pierre Trudeau, Silvio Berlusconi and Paul Keating.

Seriously - Vladimir Putin, Angela Merkel, heck even Tony Blair won't turn 70 until 3 years into the next POTUS' term.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:24 AM   #3432
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
More Belz posturing and pontificating. Good for you.
People who live in glass houses, etc...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:27 AM   #3433
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Bernie is attacking the very people whose help he will need to win in November if he gets the nomination.
And again this is my biggest issue. It's not even like he doesn't understand that openly insulting and being hostile to the very people he's demanding help him isn't a good idea, it's that he completely understands it's a bad idea but doesn't care because he thinks such piddling human concerns don't apply to him because he has "morals."
Old 4th March 2020, 11:30 AM   #3434
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And this is why Republicans laugh at the Democrats screaming about them being "hypocrites."

"Yeah we support Trump out of one side of our mouth and evangelicals out of the other. That makes us hypocrites. You know what is also makes us? An organization with two morally opposed groups... both on our side."

Meanwhile the Dems are running cause purity tests an anyone who thinks health care and college should be subsidized at 99.99% instead of 100% free and driving them out of the club.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th March 2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:34 AM   #3435
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Her good buddies Putin and Assad must be happy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:40 AM   #3436
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's disappointing, is what it is. It's like 2016 didn't happen and the Democrats aren't in need of a fresh, powerful candidate.
It seems like there's a lot of appetite on both sides of the aisle for a "fresh" candidate. Dunno about "powerful", but as far back as 2008 Democrats were choosing the fresh Obama over the experienced Clinton. Again in 2016, Clinton loses to the fresh Trump (as do all the tired old GOP candidates).

Bernie's message would have been fresh enough, I think, except that he's been around so long it's not actually fresh anymore.

But maybe "fresh" isn't the right word. Williamson and Mayor Pete both seemed pretty fresh, but not fresh enough. Or maybe it's that unlike Obama and Trump, they lack the "powerful" ingredient?
Old 4th March 2020, 11:41 AM   #3437
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Warren is "reassessing" her campaign.
Time to get a betting pool started on how long until she quits. I think she will be gone by Friday.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:41 AM   #3438
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I can't see the future, of course, but Biden, with all his flaws,..and he is a long way from being my first choice ... has a much better chance of beating Trump then Sanders does.
Thanks much and I quite agree.

I will most definitely support Biden and I sure hope he kicks Trump's stupid, greedy, lying ass from sea to shining sea. However, I was hoping that a younger person would have got a chance to take on Trump because we already have so many aged leaders (Trump, Pelosi, Sanders, McConnell, Supreme Court Justices, and so on) that we are well over-due for some new leadership.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:41 AM   #3439
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Warren needs to drop out. She's a smart person, she understands quite well that her continued candidacy only weakens the chances that a progressive will secure the nomination.
When a smart person does something that doesn't make sense to you (like Warren staying in the race despite not having a chance and hurting Bernie), don't assume that they're being stupid. Instead, consider that maybe you don't understand what their actual goal is.

I don't know what Warren's goal is, but it may not be making sure a progressive wins the nomination.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:42 AM   #3440
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It seems like there's a lot of appetite on both sides of the aisle for a "fresh" candidate. Dunno about "powerful", but as far back as 2008 Democrats were choosing the fresh Obama over the experienced Clinton. Again in 2016, Clinton loses to the fresh Trump (as do all the tired old GOP candidates).

Bernie's message would have been fresh enough, I think, except that he's been around so long it's not actually fresh anymore.

But maybe "fresh" isn't the right word. Williamson and Mayor Pete both seemed pretty fresh, but not fresh enough. Or maybe it's that unlike Obama and Trump, they lack the "powerful" ingredient?
If Warren were twenty years younger and male I think she'd be unstoppable.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics