IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 01:23 PM   #3481
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Particulary when you live in an echo chamber
Who is in the echo chamber? Sanders followers? Just want to clarify what you meant.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:24 PM   #3482
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
That, while absolutely true, goes down like a cup of cold puke with Bernie Bros.

Lots of Sanders' supporters are every bit as illogical and bigoted as Trump's.

Talk is cheap, and that appears to be the extent of Bernie's abilities. A NZ columnist put it very neatly when he described Sanders as an old man shouting at the wind.

I always thought his chicken was crap, too.
I have no opinion about that.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:25 PM   #3483
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I contend you should just go into the street and pick up the baby rather than stand around with Ted and Bill having a three stooges slap fight!
Beats playing 52-pickup after a "multi-card pileup".
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:25 PM   #3484
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Damn it. My state's primary is next Tuesday. I wanted to get a chance to vote for a candidate I actually like at least once!
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
She'll still probably be on the ballot, so you can still vote for her.
In addition to ten candidates, we actually have None of the Above, er, Uconmmitted Delegates on ours. I may just vote for that.
Old 4th March 2020, 01:26 PM   #3485
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Who is in the echo chamber? Sanders followers? Just want to clarify what you meant.
A lot of the Bernie Bros.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:27 PM   #3486
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I was surprised to see that too.
Candidate from Hawaii finding supporters in Samoa doesn't seem that surprising to me.
Old 4th March 2020, 01:30 PM   #3487
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Bloomberg officially out, no word on endorsements.
He endorsed Biden.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:32 PM   #3488
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He endorsed Biden.
I love it when you can tell someone is reading and replying to the thread in order.

You'll get there in about two posts.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:38 PM   #3489
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There's no doubt Biden has some seriously worrisome flaws.

But no other candidates were rising to the top. So unfortunate.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created … by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Joe Biden

The thing about Joe's recent "gaffes" is that they're different than they used to be. Earlier in his career he'd just lie or say something stupid or offensive. But now he's regularly losing his train of thought and getting confused. These are signs of a serious cognitive decline. And no other candidate in the race, including Trump and Sanders, is showing anything like this sort of decline. It's sad, really.

But don't worry, it doesn't actually matter who wins the primary. None of the Democrat candidates had any shot.

Quote:
Hopefully Trump's attacks will have lost a lot of effect now that people can see what an incompetent POTUS he's been.
“If the question is when markets will recover [from Trump's election], a first-pass answer is never.” - Paul Krugman

We were promised Trump would bring the apocalypse. It never arrived.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:39 PM   #3490
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I love it when you can tell someone is reading and replying to the thread in order.

You'll get there in about two posts.
I counted three.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:42 PM   #3491
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He endorsed Biden.
And said he is not retiring from the fight, which means that Biden's campaign fund is about to get fatter ….

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 01:54 PM   #3492
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
“We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created … by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Joe Biden

The thing about Joe's recent "gaffes" is that they're different than they used to be. Earlier in his career he'd just lie or say something stupid or offensive. But now he's regularly losing his train of thought and getting confused. These are signs of a serious cognitive decline. And no other candidate in the race, including Trump and Sanders, is showing anything like this sort of decline. It's sad, really.

But don't worry, it doesn't actually matter who wins the primary. None of the Democrat candidates had any shot.

“If the question is when markets will recover [from Trump's election], a first-pass answer is never.” - Paul Krugman

We were promised Trump would bring the apocalypse. It never arrived.
As much as I may not wish to, I must agree that Biden is showing signs of a much more rapid decline than any of the other geezers vying for the POTUS position. He is fighting it, but it seems clear that he is fading.

On a more positive, and light hearted note, Trump is seeming to me to be wearing down pretty quickly of late- and we can't rule out a happy (for the world, of course, not for him)
cardiac event in the near future.
Old 4th March 2020, 02:04 PM   #3493
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In addition to ten candidates, we actually have None of the Above, er, Uconmmitted Delegates on ours. I may just vote for that.
One of the candidates should have legally changed their name to "Not Trump". They might have done very well in the primaries.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:08 PM   #3494
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Saying "We would rather not have Bernie as a candidate" is not the same as "Bernie is evil and so are his supporters".

I must admit I don't get your point. Where's this coming from? I never said anyone said that.

Quote:
I must have missed it... when did Chris Matthews become a major Democratic leader?

Yup... just what we want from a Democratic nominee for president: Someone who gets slighted and then lashes out against everyone. Reminds me of someone, but I can't remember who...
Well, he's on TV, that counts for something, whether you're prepared to admit it or not. There have been lots of other comments running around as well; I've heard comments attributed to Obama about blocking Bernie from the nomination. Don't try gaslighting me and telling me this is all in my head; it's not.

And you're being disingenuous as hell if you think any of Bernie's reactions are comparable to Trump. Yeah, I know you didn't mention Trump specifically, but you know the reference is very clear.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:14 PM   #3495
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nobody's talking about McConnell obstructing Sanders' bills in the Senate. This is about Sanders lifelong lack of success at building a coalition or a voting bloc. Where's Sanders' version of the Blue Dogs? Nowhere. It's just him. Where's Sanders' version of the Squad? Nowhere. It's just him.

That isn't McConnell's fault.
Bull.

Nobody's talking about McConnel? I was. Yeah, I know I'm probably no one to you, but recall the original post that inspired this tangent:

I'll just note the obvious point that when Trump is accusing the Democratic Party of ripping off Bernie, Bernie is their preferred guy to face in the election. I saw an excellent piece the other day that exposed Sanders' complete lack of success in 1000 years in the Senate and it made me realise he's a pretty hollow character.

That was what was originally said. I can respect you were talking about something else, but you can't blame me if this is what I had in mind: It was there from the beginning. And McConnell does indeed bear much of the blame for Sanders being blocked in the Senate.

But not to ignore your point: What do you mean, "It's just him"? Last time I checked, quite a few people are very enthusiastic about voting for Bernie. They even have a name: Bernie Bros. Perhaps you've heard of them? Yes, I'll admit they aren't enough in number to guarantee the nomination for Bernie. They are sufficient to expose "It's just him" as ridiculously incorrect, however.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:19 PM   #3496
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The billionaires with with Biden or Trump. Lets not anger the Market God and let the system keep screwing over the workers for profits.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:20 PM   #3497
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
McConnell represents just such a competing interest. Bernie hasn’t convinced enough people throughout the nation, in places like Kentucky, that his progressive platform is worth supporting over others like the platform McConnell represents.

Therefore, Bernie has not been successful, in his long career as a politician, in advancing his agenda.

What you call “obstruction,” is simply competing interests, you know . . . competing. If Sanders’ interests were winning, he would be the one “obstructing” McConnell and we’d all have free healthcare, college and ponies by now.

No, it's not the same as just competing. There are instances of Republicans withdrawing support from their own bills they introduced (once Obama supported them). That's not competing, that's just hyperpartisan-I-refuse-to-compromise-with-anyone obstruction. Competing is when both parties engage in good faith efforts to legislate for the betterment of the country. That is not what today's GOP is about, at all.

For your first part, please note your own goal post move: Your original comment was:

If Sanders had been successful at builing a nationwide coalition of voters who want the same things he wants, there would be no Mitch McConnell to contend with.

I continue to claim he has. You have now shifted to:

Therefore, Bernie has not been successful, in his long career as a politician, in advancing his agenda.

No further comment necessary.
Old 4th March 2020, 02:20 PM   #3498
carlitos
"más divertido"

Trump can't attack Biden based on Hunter because Trump's got a whole book of corruption that can be thrown back in his face. And there are dozens of videos of Trump slurring his speech and misspeaking. There's ammo this time around.
Trump is a classic case study for the phenomenon of psychological projection. He certainly can and does attack people for things that he himself is weak on. There was ammo last time too; it just didn't affect enough voters in a couple of swing states.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:29 PM   #3499
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Trump can't attack Biden based on Hunter because Trump's got a whole book of corruption that can be thrown back in his face.
Surely you are kidding me with this. Now that Biden is back in the limelight, the political prosecution of Hunter Biden will resume without a lost step.
Old 4th March 2020, 02:30 PM   #3500
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I contend that if there's a baby playing in the street and Ted and Bill stop to have a big showy moral debate about whether they should rescue the baby because it's the right thing to do or whether they should do it to decrease the chances of the baby causing a multi-card pile up instead of one of them just going into street and getting the baby they should both be slapped.
What if the baby's wearing a MAGA hat?

Last edited by Mike!; 4th March 2020 at 02:34 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:30 PM   #3501
Belz...
Fiend God

The thing about Joe's recent "gaffes" is that they're different than they used to be. Earlier in his career he'd just lie or say something stupid or offensive. But now he's regularly losing his train of thought and getting confused. These are signs of a serious cognitive decline. And no other candidate in the race, including Trump and Sanders, is showing anything like this sort of decline.
You must be joking.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:31 PM   #3502
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You must be joking.
He did say "decline" and Trump started off as incomprehensible idiot.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:40 PM   #3503
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Surely you are kidding me with this. Now that Biden is back in the limelight, the political prosecution of Hunter Biden will resume without a lost step.

You're apparently still wrongly assuming that there is nothing to the charges. On top of Biden's brain turning into sauerkraut, and his creepy episodes with little girls, there's endless material on how he played viceroy in Ukraine in a very ugly way.

If the DNC machine nominates that freak, it means four more years of Trump fit them more than any distraction from their corporatist corrupt agenda. Which is what you will get.

Or sleepy creepy uncle Joe drools over himself so much and publicly that they must resort to reanimating zombie Killary - same result, but maybe even more hilarious to watch.
Old 4th March 2020, 02:41 PM   #3504
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Not a flaw in this election when one considers why Biden has a better shot than Sanders.

When Sanders' charisma is getting the Liberals in CA, and TX all happy (without doing a damn thing that will change the outcome of the election WRT those two States) it is also getting the moderates and fence-sitting conservatives in MI, PA, and WI riled up in the opposite direction, possibly costing us those States n the General- and by extension, the General itself.
But I don't agree that Biden has a better shot than Sanders. And I already said that I think Trump's going to win. However, you are setting me up for a classic win-win. If Biden wins in November, I win, and if he loses I get to tell you I told you so - so much winning.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 02:52 PM   #3505
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
But I don't agree that Biden has a better shot than Sanders. And I already said that I think Trump's going to win. However, you are setting me up for a classic win-win. If Biden wins in November, I win, and if he loses I get to tell you I told you so - so much winning.

See there? Trump delivered on his promise!
Old 4th March 2020, 03:34 PM   #3506
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Re Biden versus Trump in the gaffe department:
Biden puts his foot in his mouth on occasion. Trump keeps it there 24/7.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:36 PM   #3507
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The incident on stage with Biden in L.A. brings up a real concern:There needs to be better security . Last night the demonstrator was pretty much a harmless kook; the next one might not be so harmless.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:39 PM   #3508
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

He did say "decline" and Trump started off as incomprehensible idiot.
Well, yes. Trump is much the same as he always was. Biden isn't what he used to be. You don't have to like Trump or hate Biden to be able to see that.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:39 PM   #3509
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You still don't get it:
Biden's supporters are embarrassed by Biden's gaffes.

Trump's supporters celebrate Trump's gaffes to show the liberals how stupid they are for caring about them.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 03:44 PM   #3510
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's not so much that Biden's gonna run on a platform of out-Trumping Trump; it's that he has no choice.

Not that it's going to work. I don't think there's ever been a presidential candidate who won by trying to be more like their opponent.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:44 PM   #3511
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The billionaires with with Biden or Trump. Lets not anger the Market God and let the system keep screwing over the workers for profits.
Bingo!

Just keep the drift rightwards going.

Quite funny how the Democrats are right of BoJo and the Tories nowadays.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:47 PM   #3512
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

yeah, replacing the Market with a Command economy worked so damn well in the Soviet Union.
I think if Bernie had been elected President you would have been bitterly disspaointed because he seems to be nowhere as far to the left as you are.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:48 PM   #3513
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Bingo!

Just keep the drift rightwards going.

Quite funny how the Democrats are right of BoJo and the Tories nowadays.
You hate the United States anyway so like it matters.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:52 PM   #3514
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You still don't get it:
Biden's supporters are embarrassed by Biden's gaffes.
No, Keith, you don't get it.

When Biden says you need an Indian accent to work at 7/11, that's a gaffe. He's been doing those forever, and it's baked into the public's opinion of him already.

When he can't remember what office he's running for, that isn't a gaffe. That's a sign of senility, and it's new.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:54 PM   #3515
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I would still be disappointed if it was Warren having the surge but Biden? Really?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 03:56 PM   #3516
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Candidate from Hawaii finding supporters in Samoa doesn't seem that surprising to me.
She was born in Samoa.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 03:57 PM   #3517
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would still be disappointed if it was Warren having the surge but Biden? Really?
Just more proof you never really understood American Politics and American voters.
Hint: They were nowhere near as far to the left as you thought.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:58 PM   #3518
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I note a couple of Bernie's overseas Bros here seem never to have really grasped some facts about American voters and the American Political system.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:59 PM   #3519
carlitos
"más divertido"

When he can't remember what office he's running for, that isn't a gaffe. That's a sign of senility, and it's new.
No, it's a sign that he's been running for Senate for about 40 years and his speech is on autopilot. See - I can mind-read and remote diagnose too!
Old 4th March 2020, 04:01 PM   #3520
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

No, Keith, you don't get it.

When Biden says you need an Indian accent to work at 7/11, that's a gaffe. He's been doing those forever, and it's baked into the public's opinion of him already.

So the smear campaign begins. Dear Leader is proud of you.

Robert Heinlein.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics