IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 07:57 PM   #3561
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If Warren were twenty years younger and male I think she'd be unstoppable.
And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:02 PM   #3562
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
OK, so he said "ďMy name is Joe Biden, I'm a Democratic candidate for the United States SenateĒ.

That is the kind of verbal slip up I have been making all my life, even at a time that I was getting distinctions and high distinctions in a university maths course.

So what?
That slip is far from the only one, he makes them regularly now. And he didnít before. Itís the change which is significant. If he had always made such slips, as you say you do, it wouldnít mean much. If you didnít previously make such mistakes and now you did on a regular basis, would you brush it off? Or would you go see a neurologist?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:03 PM   #3563
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Sorry, but Bernie has way more charisma than Biden.
Yeah, I just don't understand the idea that Biden can beat Trump. I think Bernie would have a WAY higher chance of beating Trump than Biden would.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:03 PM   #3564
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
We were promised Trump would bring the apocalypse. It never arrived.
Actually, it may have. You just missed it.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:05 PM   #3565
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
If Bernie had been effective at building a national following, McConnell's obstructionism would have been an asset he could have used as a selling point. Bernie has his niche voters but he has not been effective at broadening it. He's a good, small state pol but ineffective on the national level.

Honestly, I'm not sure about that, and even if it's correct as stated, I still don't blame Bernie for it. I think you're ignoring the reality of the extreme echo chambers we have today and how many in the GOP base simply refuse to listen to "unauthorized" sources.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:08 PM   #3566
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO Charisma is the only thing that counts in elections?
Sadly, yes.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:09 PM   #3567
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
This. Anyone who thinks Biden can win must not have been watching him very carefully. The guy is very weird in an uncomfortable way. Trump gets away with being crazy because that's his thing. It won't work for Biden.
Sadly true. I'm betting at this point that he tanks as soon as the front runner spotlight gets on him and he is more the focal point of a few debates. I get the sneaking suspicion that the best case scenario might be for neither Biden or Bernie to clinch the first ballot and then both drop dead (or maybe temporarily incapacitated? That better?) just before the convention.

Anyone have Al Gore's number? Asking for a friend.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:15 PM   #3568
Suddenly
No Punting

Sadly, yes.
Presidential politics became professional wrestling four years ago, and Biden would be the guy with no nickname wearing a simple singlet and complaining about the rules as he gets hit in the head with a trash can for the second time.

Bernie would at least wear steel-toed boots and understand that the ref is never going to see anything.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:19 PM   #3569
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Nonsense. If wishes were horses, beggars would dine like Frenchmen. Some day I'm going to release a book correcting all these mistaken adages.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:24 PM   #3570
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Did Mitch do anything illegal? No? You mean he used the rules of institution to block legislation? Oh, so it was competition after all.

. . .

That implies he cheated or something. Did he? No?
I've got to step in at this point. The constitution says that the President shall have Power, .... and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint ... Judges of the Supreme Court, McConnell's Senate did not do this. Thus, I would argue what he did was unconstitutional. If not, then it was at the very least cheating. That is not simply competing.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:26 PM   #3571
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Should we fear Joe Biden

Thought about starting a thread with that title, but I'll just leave it here.

There seems to be many pitfalls ahead if Biden is the nominee.

The Democratic Partyís risky bet on Biden (Vox)
Old 4th March 2020, 08:27 PM   #3572
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
He's of course exactly right, and I have been baffled for quite some time that "progressives" bought her shtick, with her complete fake history. I called it a long time ago that the "Pocahontas" nickname actually finished her.
What is that "fake history"? State two or three clear examples.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:29 PM   #3573
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
There seems to be many pitfalls ahead if Biden is the nominee.
I'm sure Biden will bring his customary grace, charm, and quick-thinking to overcome any obstacles. It's not like he's not famous for his polished speaking, swift wit, careful planning, and sparkling charisma. He and Cary Grant are that close! in age.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:35 PM   #3574
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Trump is a classic case study for the phenomenon of psychological projection. He certainly can and does attack people for things that he himself is weak on. There was ammo last time too; it just didn't affect enough voters in a couple of swing states.
I know he can, and he will. I'm saying the second time around his con will work on less people.

Speaking of Trump, he couldn't help himself gloating over Bloomberg dropping out. Trump can't stop himself. Bloomberg still has billions of dollars with which to denigrate Trump everyday on big ads. Trump would have been wise to shut up. But nope, because he can't stop himself.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:37 PM   #3575
Suddenly
No Punting

I've got to step in at this point. The constitution says that the President shall have Power, .... and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint ... Judges of the Supreme Court, McConnell's Senate did not do this. Thus, I would argue what he did was unconstitutional. If not, then it was at the very least cheating. That is not simply competing.
The boss move there is to decide silence equals consent and Obama tells Garland to go take his seat.

It would have kicked off a constitutional crisis, but really that was inevitable once the Senate decided to act in bad faith. Might as well have done it then and got it over with. Show some guts.

I'm not sure how that would shake out. Probably end in some compromise better than the clown show of a judiciary we are saddled with now.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:37 PM   #3576
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Surely you are kidding me with this. Now that Biden is back in the limelight, the political prosecution of Hunter Biden will resume without a lost step.
I think people are misunderstanding me. Of course Trump will attack Biden on all these fronts. That's a no brainer. What I'm saying is we can attack back and it will stick.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:38 PM   #3577
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You must be joking.
No kidding. Trump gets more senile by the day and Sanders' physical decline is showing.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:40 PM   #3578
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He did say "decline" and Trump started off as incomprehensible idiot.
Some people think Trump is declining. I can only say he appears worse than he was several years ago.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:40 PM   #3579
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure about that, and even if it's correct as stated, I still don't blame Bernie for it. I think you're ignoring the reality of the extreme echo chambers we have today and how many in the GOP base simply refuse to listen to "unauthorized" sources.
Actually, I do recognize that reality. But the GOP base would never have been Bernie's target had he sought to widen his base. Rather, think suburban women. Rust belt employees. Small business types who get clobbered by health care costs. Ignore the bible thumpers and Deplorables.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:41 PM   #3580
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You still don't get it:
Biden's supporters are embarrassed by Biden's gaffes.

Trump's supporters celebrate Trump's gaffes to show the liberals how stupid they are for caring about them.
But that's just Trump's base. The middle is less likely to be conned again.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:42 PM   #3581
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I know he can, and he will. I'm saying the second time around his con will work on less people.

Speaking of Trump, he couldn't help himself gloating over Bloomberg dropping out. Trump can't stop himself. Bloomberg still has billions of dollars with which to denigrate Trump everyday on big ads. Trump would have been wise to shut up. But nope, because he can't stop himself.
How much did that "Baby Trump" hot air balloon cost to make? I bet Bloomberg could get hundreds of those made, and have an ominous circle of them hovering in the sky, staring at Trump wherever he goes. He could buy all the land around Mar-a-Lago and tether thousands of the things there. They'd be packed so closely together you could hear the thrumming sound when the wind knocks them gently against each other. All the wrong people have money, I could do such wonderful things with that kind of dough!

Except I wouldn't make the balloons comical. I'd make them creepy as hell, with empty, bleeding eyesockets. Thrumm, thrummm, thrummmmmmm.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:56 PM   #3582
Suddenly
No Punting

Awesome. More people who think it is bad that Trump eats burned steak and cheats at golf will hear about it more.

Insulting Trump will at best have zero effect. At worst he looks sympathetic. He needs to concentrate on the down ballot races where money is way more of an issue. Or spend it in some really nefarious way to cripple Trump. Like hire away his whole campaign staff a few times. Be creative.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:01 PM   #3583
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I think people are misunderstanding me. Of course Trump will attack Biden on all these fronts. That's a no brainer. What I'm saying is we can attack back and it will stick.
Who do think will just ignore this malarkey?

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Just a bit earlier:

So selfish for Elizabeth Warren to stay in the race. She has Zero chance of even coming close to winning, but hurts Bernie badly. So much for their wonderful liberal friendship. Will he ever speak to her again? She cost him Massachusetts (and came in third), he shouldnít!

Trump is going to keep doing his "I know you are, but what am I" schtick and Biden will take the bait every time and Bernie's just going to keep doing his Bernie schtick and ignore it.

And just keep going.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:07 PM   #3584
xjx388
Philosopher

The Senate makes the rules by which advice and consent is given. I am not at all disputing that it was a dick move; but, I donít think it can be argued that it violated the Constitution. Cheating would imply breaking the rules and Mitch makes the rules.

In this case, it was in the interest of the Republicans to hold off on confirmation of Garland. It was in the interest of the Dems/Obama Admin to get their nominee confirmed. Is this a case of exploiting the rules to gain an advantage? Hell yes it was. But thatís fair game in any competition.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:07 PM   #3585
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if this link will work, it's to a political cartoon in the middle of the "News in Cartoons" feature that shows up in the MSN home page, the one that you get if you are too lazy to set a different home page.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...andhp#image=10

So, here's a verbal description.

The caption is "Democrats Unite Behind Sanders". It has Bernie in the foreground, and behind him is a line of Democrats (recognizable by their donkey heads) holding up a sign that says, "Vote Biden".

That's kind of how I feel. I didn't want Biden, but he'll do, and I'm planning on voting for him. With everyone else out, it's time to unite around the candidate that isn't Bernie Sanders.

(Bernie isn't awful. I'll vote for him if he wins the nomination, but I definitely don't like him, and yes it is because of the S word. If I were sure that Republicans would retain control of the Senate, I might even happily vote for Bernie.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:08 PM   #3586
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

dupe

Last edited by Meadmaker; 4th March 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:13 PM   #3587
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Nah, people liked that. I think she just wasn't polarizing enough. The Biden and Bernie people screaming at each other sucked all the oxygen out of the room.
It's what you and I like about her. The voters, not so much.

Obama wasn't polarizing.

I absolutely love Elizabeth Warren, but I thought she was a terrible politician. I thought she wasn't going to win the moment she took a DNA test to prove her heritage. That was never ever going to help her, only make her look weak.

And I wanted to be wrong. Like Hillary, I thought Warren would make a great President.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:19 PM   #3588
Suddenly
No Punting

But that's just Trump's base. The middle is less likely to be conned again.
That isn't how people work.

People who get conned tend to go to any length to convince themselves they weren't conned.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:21 PM   #3589
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I absolutely love Elizabeth Warren, but I thought she was a terrible politician. I thought she wasn't going to win the moment she took a DNA test to prove her heritage. That was never ever going to help her, only make her look weak.
It's amazing how such a small thing can make such a big difference. I really think that is what sank her candidacy, and it is so trivial.

And yet, after she did that, I had a hard time taking her seriously.

Old 4th March 2020, 09:24 PM   #3590
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

No kidding. Trump gets more senile by the day and Sanders' physical decline is showing.
While Elizabeth Warren just gets smarter and prettier with each passing day!

Maybe its Maybelline or a painting in the attic.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 4th March 2020 at 09:30 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:31 PM   #3591
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The nickname didn't finish her.
I thought she wasn't going to win the moment she took a DNA test to prove her heritage.

Old 4th March 2020, 09:34 PM   #3592
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's amazing how such a small thing can make such a big difference. I really think that is what sank her candidacy, and it is so trivial.

And yet, after she did that, I had a hard time taking her seriously.

Was it trivial? It was sort of like some Young Republican type claiming to be African American because once you go back far enough we are all genetically African. Except she really, really should have known better.

Had she done this with a more politically active marginalized group it would have been immediately fatal to her career.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:46 PM   #3593
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
The Senate makes the rules by which advice and consent is given.
Where is that written? If the Senate neglects to even consider a nominee, it doesn't make much sense to say they are following constitutional procedure.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:51 PM   #3594
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

It's what you and I like about her. The voters, not so much.
The voters too. That's been her running tragedy this election: Warren was everyone's first pick, but everyone felt they needed to support someone else to make sure some third group voted against Trump.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:52 PM   #3595
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Nonsense. If wishes were horses, beggars would dine like Frenchmen. Some day I'm going to release a book correcting all these mistaken adages.
I'd buy it.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:53 PM   #3596
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak" is how I've heard the joke told.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 10:40 PM   #3597
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That slip is far from the only one, he makes them regularly now. And he didnít before. Itís the change which is significant. If he had always made such slips, as you say you do, it wouldnít mean much. If you didnít previously make such mistakes and now you did on a regular basis, would you brush it off? Or would you go see a neurologist?
For the sake of the country and his own health, I hope Trump follows your advice.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:22 PM   #3598
Cabbage
Banned

Actually, I do recognize that reality. But the GOP base would never have been Bernie's target had he sought to widen his base. Rather, think suburban women. Rust belt employees. Small business types who get clobbered by health care costs. Ignore the bible thumpers and Deplorables.

I'm starting to wonder what the point of this is. I feel like I'm just being begged to admit something/anything negative about Bernie. It was brought up that if Bernie had been effective at building a national following "McConnell's obstructionism would have been an asset he could have used as a selling point"---as if I am now expected to hold this against him.

OK.

So I suppose I'm expected next to shift my support to some other Democrat who, incidentally, has also failed to build a national coalition to take McConnell out of office?

My point is that it certainly seems a double standard is at play here. Why does Bernie get this unique distinction?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:36 PM   #3599
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Awesome. More people who think it is bad that Trump eats burned steak and cheats at golf will hear about it more.

Insulting Trump will at best have zero effect. At worst he looks sympathetic. He needs to concentrate on the down ballot races where money is way more of an issue. Or spend it in some really nefarious way to cripple Trump. Like hire away his whole campaign staff a few times. Be creative.
No, that's not what I meant at all, it's my bad for not being clear enough.

What I mean is those insults thrown back at Trump will neutralize the attacks on Biden.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:37 PM   #3600
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I still wonder what Tulsi Gabbard is up to, and why her rhetoric so often seems to mirror Trump's.

Gabbard attacks Warren as 'fake indigenous woman of color'

Yeah, she's still nominally in the race, even if nobody cares. Someone on Fox News mistakenly said that Warren was "the only woman" left in the race.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics