IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 19th October 2021, 10:33 PM   #281
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah, i had forgotten about this. There was some good comedy.
Classic examples of the feets don't fail me now move over there.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 19th October 2021 at 11:00 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 12:49 PM   #282
Drewbot
Philosopher

Here is the list of the actual charges.
6 counts, all related to section 4 in my post above. Class 4 felonies.

Nothing listed about the crushed aspirin, these charges are all related only to false claims to an officer.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...Statement.html
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 08:11 AM   #283
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Trial starts today:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...o-empire-actor
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 08:32 AM   #284
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Motion to move thread to Trials and Errors?

And if we are keeping the title, can we at least tag it with "pooch screwing"?

I move to retitle the thread The Osundairo Connection.

eta: autocorrect objected violently to that last name

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 29th November 2021 at 09:18 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 09:43 AM   #285
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Could be interesting. Maybe we’ll be treated to seeing Mr. Smollett breaking down in tears again as he describes the details of that fateful night.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:06 AM   #286
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Could be interesting. Maybe we’ll be treated to seeing Mr. Smollett breaking down in tears again as he describes the details of that fateful night.
I wonder if Elizabeth Loftus will be called as an expert witness?
Old 29th November 2021, 10:14 AM   #287
Warp12
Illuminator

I think being an actor might be a benefit if he does testify. Also, he called himself the "Gay Tupac". So, there are definitely some intangibles.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:15 AM   #288
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he'll pitch his voice awkwardly low on the stand.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:23 AM   #289
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Maybe a bunch of racists trolls will dance around acting like this gives them an excuse to be racist trolls.

He lied. He got caught. Now he's going to trial. Why didn't happen the way it was supposed to?

It's not like the DA covered it up and we had to have nationwide protests to get him arrested. It's not like it happens every day.

"Lookit everyone the black guy did something wrong! That means I'm really not a racist troll!" isn't a valid message to get out of this.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:38 AM   #290
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Maybe a bunch of racists trolls will dance around acting like this gives them an excuse to be racist trolls.

He lied. He got caught. Now he's going to trial. Why didn't happen the way it was supposed to?
The interesting and significant part of this whole affair was never that he lied and got caught. From the start, the interesting and significant part was how people responded to it. In particular, the credulity of people who thought he was telling the truth, and were so certain that the people who doubted him did so out of some form of malice. This thread offers numerous examples.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 11:49 AM   #291
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

It's not like the DA covered it up and we had to have nationwide protests to get him arrested. It's not like it happens every day.

"Lookit everyone the black guy did something wrong! That means I'm really not a racist troll!" isn't a valid message to get out of this.
Ya or maybe it's just fun to watch **** blow up in the face of people who 100% brought the **** storm on themselves.

*Roddy fiddles awkwardly with his cel phone*

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 12:02 PM   #292
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well that escalated quickly.
Old 29th November 2021, 12:17 PM   #293
Warp12
Illuminator

That is pretty much exactly the way it didn't unfold. It took quite a bit to get us to the point we are at. Including some song and dance from the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, who was accused of bias. You may also recall that all of his charges were initially dropped, in exchange for a small amount of community service, and forfeiture of his bond.

Your rant is nonsensical...at best.
Old 29th November 2021, 04:58 PM   #294
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The interesting and significant part of this whole affair was never that he lied and got caught. From the start, the interesting and significant part was how people responded to it. In particular, the credulity of people who thought he was telling the truth, and were so certain that the people who doubted him did so out of some form of malice. This thread offers numerous examples.
Kamala Harris bought it hook, line, and sinker…or pretended to. According to her
it was an “attempted modern-day lynching".
Old 29th November 2021, 08:48 PM   #295
Bogative
Master Poster

Now it's an attempted modern day judicial lynching… or something.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:26 PM   #296
Warp12
Illuminator

Kamala Harris bought it hook, line, and sinker…or pretended to. According to her
it was an “attempted modern-day lynching".
Of course she did; she wanted to get her "Anti-Lynching" bill passed...in whatever form. Because, it was about time we made lynching illegal.

What a zany coincidence that timing was.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th November 2021 at 11:31 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 07:52 AM   #297
Drewbot
Philosopher

Jussie was a real victim of a real crime.

-Sincerely,
His Attorney
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 08:02 AM   #298
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Jussie was a real victim of a real crime.

-Sincerely,
His Attorney
It's hard to get justice in MAGA country.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 03:02 PM   #299
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I requested mods move this to Trials and Errors. But that was days ago.

Fun stuff so far, including a NY Post report that claims defense attorneys moved for a mistrial because the judge physically "lunged" at them. No reports of the judge wearing a MAGA hat.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/02/jussie...t-one-of-them/

Old 3rd December 2021, 03:08 PM   #300
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I requested mods move this to Trials and Errors. But that was days ago.

Fun stuff so far, including a NY Post report that claims defense attorneys moved for a mistrial because the judge physically "lunged" at them. No reports of the judge wearing a MAGA hat.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/02/jussie...t-one-of-them/
Quote:
Attorney Heather Widell said they had the legal grounds to ask the questions and also accused the judge of visibly “snarling” in front of the jury any time he sustained an objection from the prosecution and wanted to make sure his non-verbal cues were on the record.

“I’ve noticed snarls multiple times,” Widell said.
"Snarls".

The hilarious part is that Smollett played the victim card, and now his attorneys are doing it, too.

Last edited by Warp12; 3rd December 2021 at 03:17 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 03:15 PM   #301
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

No confirmation if Judge Werewolf has had his rabies shot.

Old 3rd December 2021, 03:43 PM   #302
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's not like the DA covered it up
This is the funniest part of that rant, since it is indeed kinda like the DA covered it up.
Old 3rd December 2021, 04:26 PM   #303
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Actually, it is like that. Public pressure is the only reason this trial has gone foward.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 04:59 PM   #304
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

We're down to the last three or so people who find this attack horrifying. Not counting those who are now horrified by Judge Cujo.

Old 3rd December 2021, 05:38 PM   #305
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We're down to the last three or so people who find this attack horrifying. Not counting those who are now horrified by Judge Cujo.
It's not that they find the attack horrifying. It's that they find the fact that he's being called out over it horrifying.

---

"There's been a massive wave of attacks."

"Some of these aren't plausible. And some are surely hoaxes."

"Only a racist would point out the hoaxes!"

"Okay, but this one, at least, is an obvious and egregious hoax that causes trouble nobody needs, and politicians are buying into it and doubling down on the trouble. We really should call it out and repudiate it and everyone who bought into it, and every politician who tried to exploit it or sell it."

"Shut the **** up you ******* racist! How dare you make things worse for black people!"

Narrator: In fact it was Jussie Smollett and Kim Foxx who made things worse for black people.
Old 4th December 2021, 11:50 AM   #306
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod InfoThread moved to Trials and Errors
Posted By:Agatha
Old 5th December 2021, 08:43 AM   #307
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The Juss Man is at bat on Monday. Not known if he will take the stand or not.

It was pointed out that the only real evidence we have of a hoax is the testimony of the brothers Osindario. Smollett could theoretically discredit their version with an entirely different one of his own. Being an actor, he might come across as very convincing. Monday could very well flip the table.

Eta: my phone is confident that every other time I type "the", I really mean "TBE". No idea why or how to clear it from the phone's memory.

Last edited by Thermal; 5th December 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 5th December 2021, 08:57 AM   #308
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
The Juss Man is at bat on Monday. Not known if he will tame TBE stand or not.

It was pointed out that the only real evidence we have of a hoax is the testimony of the brothers Osindario. Smollett could theoretically discredit their version with an entirely different one of his own. Being an actor, he might come across as very convincing. Monday could very well flip the table.
I wonder what physical/visual evidence there is for the "dress rehearsal" that's said to have happened before the "incident" itself?
Old 5th December 2021, 09:05 AM   #309
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I wonder what physical/visual evidence there is for the "dress rehearsal" that's said to have happened before the "incident" itself?
AFAIK, no evidence other than the Bros testimony. Spitballing: Smollett could say they met and had an argument about something unrelated (scoring Molly, acting or security positions, or even the theory that one of the brothers was jilted by Jussie). Then the Osindarios cooked up the attack and when it backfired, they blamed Smollett for coming up with it.

Pretty far out there, but it would turn the fight to he said/they said for the jury. Tough reasonable doubt decision.

Old 5th December 2021, 09:13 AM   #310
Warp12
Illuminator

AFAIK, no evidence other than the Bros testimony. Spitballing: Smollett could say they met and had an argument about something unrelated (scoring Molly, acting or security positions, or even the theory that one of the brothers was jilted by Jussie). Then the Osindarios cooked up the attack and when it backfired, they blamed Smollett for coming up with it.

Pretty far out there, but it would turn the fight to he said/they said for the jury. Tough reasonable doubt decision.
The mystery issue is how did they know he was going to be walking from a Subway at 2am on an arctic evening? That would be extra lucky.
Old 5th December 2021, 09:23 AM   #311
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The mystery issue is how did they know he was going to be walking from a Subway at 2am on an arctic evening? That would be extra lucky.
Again, purely on the spitball: Smollett could say they must have been stalking him all day to catch him at the right moment. I think there were some Uber driver records that might conflict with that, not sure. I'm thinking that since he is an actor, he might be able to come off as sincere in almost anything he says.

Old 5th December 2021, 09:29 AM   #312
Warp12
Illuminator

Again, purely on the spitball: Smollett could say they must have been stalking him all day to catch him at the right moment. I think there were some Uber driver records that might conflict with that, not sure. I'm thinking that since he is an actor, he might be able to come off as sincere in almost anything he says.
Well, I hope it gives it a go at perjuring himself, at least. That might get him some jail time.
Old 5th December 2021, 10:05 AM   #313
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Again, purely on the spitball: Smollett could say they must have been stalking him all day to catch him at the right moment.
I don't think that spitball covers as much ground as it needs to. You've moved from "somehow they knew he was gonna be walking to Subway at 2am" to "somehow they knew to camp outside his friend's place all night just in case he went somewhere on foot at 2am".
Old 5th December 2021, 10:07 AM   #314
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I hope it gives it a go at perjuring himself, at least. That might get him some jail time.
It'd be nice to see Foxx get some jail time for this, but oh well.
Old 5th December 2021, 10:23 AM   #315
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I thought there was one video and record of the brothers buying the ‘noose’ and the bleach, wasn’t there?
Old 5th December 2021, 10:37 AM   #316
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I thought there was one video and record of the brothers buying the ‘noose’ and the bleach, wasn’t there?
Yes, but that wouldn't stop JS from claiming they were acting on their own.

Old 5th December 2021, 12:19 PM   #317
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think that spitball covers as much ground as it needs to. You've moved from "somehow they knew he was gonna be walking to Subway at 2am" to "somehow they knew to camp outside his friend's place all night just in case he went somewhere on foot at 2am".
Meh, could be easier than those two. The Juss Man could say the Osindarios knew he was a night owl and often walked at his regular 2AM or so dinnertime to grab a sammich somewhere. It's all ridiculous, but a jury just has to nose past reasonable doubt, not most reasonable explanation.

Old 5th December 2021, 12:23 PM   #318
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The brothers decided to get revenge on Smollett (for some reason) by dressing up as cartoon MAGA loonies and the causing virtually no injury at all? And staking out his condo all night waiting for him to leave alone, on foot, for some reason, and accidentally performing this "attack" at the perfect spot to be recorded? And all of this work with no chance for any material gain? Gonna need some flat earthers on this jury.
Old 6th December 2021, 07:57 AM   #319
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
The brothers decided to get revenge on Smollett (for some reason) by dressing up as cartoon MAGA loonies and the causing virtually no injury at all? And staking out his condo all night waiting for him to leave alone, on foot, for some reason, and accidentally performing this "attack" at the perfect spot to be recorded? And all of this work with no chance for any material gain? Gonna need some flat earthers on this jury.
Smollett doesn't have to explain anything really. His whole approach could be "I dunno, man. Ask those Osindario nutjobs what they were doing and why. Not my department"

Brazen, yes. But if his acting skills are just good enough to sway a juror that something doesn't fit, da J-man walks. Presumably at 2AM in subzero temperatures to get sammiches.

Old 6th December 2021, 08:16 AM   #320
Warp12
Illuminator

I don't know how I missed this:

Nigerian brother who Jussie Smollett claims is a violent homophobe is seen dressed as Trojan warrior at 2015 Chicago Pride Parade
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ior-Pride.html

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors