ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th November 2012, 10:35 PM   #81
mutile
Muse

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I guess if I had enough of a problem, I wouldn't do it.

Your own implication though, is that we are all scum.
No it isn't.
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 11:59 PM   #82
Modified
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mutile View Post
No it isn't.
Do you not understand the meaning of the word "implication", or do you not understand the way the English language is generally used? Note that, according to you, I am not implying anything by asking this question.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 03:50 AM   #83
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Well not so much convinced, but blessed to receive the gift of being able to believe despite all empirical evidence to the contrary.
Which, in the context of other beliefs, we consider a sign of mental illness.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 04:08 AM   #84
mutile
Muse

Do you not understand the meaning of the word "implication", or do you not understand the way the English language is generally used? Note that, according to you, I am not implying anything by asking this question.

There can't have been an implication that we are all scum, when there were definite stated exemptions.

If I say all men are scum, there is not an implication that all women are scum.

Despite whatever language difficulties I may have, I think you are wrong on this point.
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 06:36 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I guess if I had enough of a problem, I wouldn't do it.

Your own implication though, is that we are all scum.
No it is that there is nothing wrong with supporting evil institutions.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:56 AM   #86
Warrior1461
Critical Thinker

"We had ẗhe "Eight of May Movement", but they disbanded themselves because most of their members had left the church, disillusioned."

They left because they realized and said "F--K It" and just moved on. Like many more are doing today.
Warrior1461 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 12:08 PM   #87
Robaato
The Noble Sportsman

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Care to name a movement of people within the RCC that works for change within?
The Nuns on the Bus, perhaps?

Huffington Post article
Website

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy