IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th July 2022, 06:38 PM   #41
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I got my diploma in building bike wheels, picking simple locks from YouTube U. Currently learning gold refining there.

When I get any computer up and working that is where I will try to learn to use Linux in whatever variety gets loaded.
Not always the infallible source but using common sense, it gets me there.

Installing and using Linux is actually cake work these days, but if you want to look under the hood, watch the video in my previous post by Luke, who really has an unusual ability to relay condensed information.
Old 24th July 2022, 07:13 PM   #42
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

I'm posting this from a 24 year old Dell desktop with only 300 MB of memory and which was originally a Windows 98 machine. It does have an upgraded 1.2 Ghz Celeron processor, however, which may be from around XP times. So, I do have a little bit of experience with this sort of thing.

I've gone back to this machine after my newest one recently crapped out on me, and it was only 15 years old!! Of course, I basically got it from the dump more than 10 years ago, so I guess I got my money's worth out of it.

I would highly recommend using Puppy Linux. It is one of the most streamlined versions of Linux that I've personally tried and that works well on older equipment. (I haven't tried the MXLinux, however, so I can't really speak about that one specifically.) I also happen to use the desktop theme that probably looks the most like a Windows 95 machine - "Original Pup."

As far as web browsers go, not only are new major browsers memory hogs that sometimes require over 1 GB just to run, but they also rely upon features that older CPUs like the one in this machine don't have. I was luckily able to find portable versions of both Seamonkey and Firefox, however, that someone had managed to get working anyway with some of the older GNU C libraries (search for the Firefox and/or Seamonkey "glibc tweak" and Puppy Linux), so I can actually shop ebay and do captchas and pay some bills online still. With such limited memory, though, I can only handle about three open tabs on a site like ebay without it freezing up. I sometimes forget this and end up having to kill the browser and start again.

There are, of course, some websites that are just too bloated for this machine to handle, so I try to avoid the ones I know about - like youtube and some news sites. I do have ways of watching youtube videos, though. I know which format I can watch on this slow machine with its limited video memory and have a utility that can download them for me. (youtube-dl, format 18)

Basically, I can't play videos with more than 640x480 resolution, though I can sometimes play larger ones by scaling them down using a filter in my command line video player.

I personally use a version of Puppy Linux based upon Slackware that they call Slacko, but there are ones based upon other major distributions, too. Also, some processors in XP times were 64 bit, but it may be more likely you'll need to run a 32 bit version of Linux. The machine that crapped out on me could run either 32 or 64 bit operating systems, but it seemed to me that it ran a bit better with the 32 bit version of Linux.

After I get a new machine, I'll probably go back to trying other versions of Linux including MX Linux, but at the moment I can't risk screwing up what I currently have working. It's been awhile since I've been able to run an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink distribution of Linux, so I am kind of looking forward to that.

I do suspect that getting a decent browser running could be an issue for you with MX Linux if someone hasn't specifically addressed that problem. Not everyone seems to be interested in keeping old hardware running for some reason.

Anyway, I hope this is of some help.

https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/

Last edited by Shepherd; 24th July 2022 at 07:18 PM.
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 07:44 PM   #43
8enotto
Master Poster

Wednesday I get a refurbished Andy 11 phone back. That's my modern option and by far the cheap one. Very easy to get big memory in it. The SD cards are easy to get.
But, no USB, mouse or keyboard.

Then begins in earnest the computer project. A repair shop has to be contacted and he expects to get paid. The more it needs the more he costs. That is why I want to find the "easy" bits myself.
Then once anything can work it goes to software.

It won't be used outside of my home so a weak battery or external accessories are fine. A bigger external HD type storage is planned, eventually. Depends on what can be found. Less reliance on aging internal parts.

I sure wish my time and income allowed me to just get on with this. So much useful help in this thread and all I can do is slowly plod ahead.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 08:00 PM   #44
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
After I get a new machine, I'll probably go back to trying other versions of Linux including MX Linux, but at the moment I can't risk screwing up what I currently have working.

I love Puppy Linux but it has always been just a kind of "proof of concept" for me. MXLinux is actually a bloat-free daily driver.
Old 24th July 2022, 08:23 PM   #45
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I do suspect that getting a decent browser running could be an issue for you with MX Linux if someone hasn't specifically addressed that problem.

No, there is no problem with that. Many universities around the world are maintaining the (debian-based) repositories, and you can add some to your sources without problems. I just this afternoon (at my, not Bill Gates' willing) did a major update with some special sources like Vivaldi and Brave browsers without problems (after the machine being 26 days up).

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 24th July 2022 at 08:28 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 08:25 PM   #46
8enotto
Master Poster

Shepherd, I used to be able to find a collection of every version of Firefox. I used to have to run a then ancient version on my old desktop units a decade ago.
So it should still be possible.

I can recall the days of reduced expectations. That ended on Blackberry phones. Since then it's been slightly more advanced capabilities, with this Andy 9 phone videos are even possible again.

It only took ten years to get that back. Now if my mobile data package supported that....

I was able to salvage two 160mb hard drives and a slew of 256mb DDR memory sticks from scrap yard machines. All desktop stuff useless to my two laptops.
I can see where keeping an old desktop and even upgrading it a bit could be cheaper than laptops.
I get this stuff free.
I suspect resale stores in any populated area would have some cheap units too.
Here they all get scrapped pretty quick.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 08:50 PM   #47
8enotto
Master Poster

Ok, some time well spent on YouTube has revealed in some markets I can possibly buy a used modern minicomputer for about the same money as getting these old clunkers looked at. Possibly even repaired. That throws a wrench in the thought process.

Two things remain, shipping to Mexico and possibly if some are already here for sale.
I could forget a lot of future issues and an eventual need to upgrade.
A major plus is I can get the keyboard and monitor I prefer.

So now the search for parts continues and the new search for a possible other unit.
Money is set aside but probably not enough just yet. That will come.

As will a result of some sort. I hope.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:12 PM   #48
marting
Illuminator

How about an IMSAI with a Chromemco Z80, 64K ram. Oh, and a Tarbell cassette for bulk storage.
Old 9th August 2022, 07:50 AM   #49
johny76239
New Blood

My dad has one laptop with Windows XP in his workshop. It runs great and looks way more cohesive than 8, 10 or 11.
johny76239 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 06:42 AM   #50
8enotto
Master Poster

Ok a temporary solution is in place.
Via the venerable YouTube media others have put a dongle on tablet and replaced laptop units in real office needs and uses. But they used iPad and top line Samsung units. I can't afford that.

I got a new Android 9 tablet and dug out a heap of cables from my stash, hooked in a tablet keyboard and it works. Even threw in a 16gb SD card to bump it up to 32gb. USB thumb drives to handle file storage needs.
It's bit slow, doesn't carry a heavy software load (anymore) and is a current model with decent specs.
It doesn't hurt both my phones are also Android 9 now so not much change in unit to unit movement.

I can factory reset it myself if need be. I screwed up setting it up, had to learn quickly how to do that to get it back in service.
Very useful skill to have. The software load doesn't have much beyond basic android 9 load, no financial or banking details will ever be on it. I don't think it will become a prime target for hackers.

Last edited by 8enotto; 21st September 2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 21st September 2022, 01:40 PM   #51
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
XP? What are you, some kind of bleeding edge early adopter? I've got one with DOS6 and Win3.1!
Okay, it's in a box in the old garage and I haven't got around to tossing it. I do have an XP one, to which the same applies.
Ok, I brought the box with the old Canon laptop up to take on the next run to the dump. But on a whim I plugged it in and turned it on.

It works perfectly. Probably got it about 1986.
Old 21st September 2022, 09:08 PM   #52
8enotto
Master Poster

Makes me feel like I'm really reaching high using a tablet. A cheap one at that.

I loved the old stuff I used to have. Starting with a 2kb Time Sinclair 1000 and a RS pocket computer with 2kb of ram and one line of text display.

But today I have five functional devices capable of going online. All of which are a million times more capable than the first ten combined. And they cost about the same as the early ones.

The problem is in the last year two of them became fairly close to obsolete, through no fault of their own. They can't even do FB full version now.
That's why I get them so cheap.
Old 24th September 2022, 08:21 PM   #53
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

The departure and arrival information at Pisa Airport. I know because they had to reboot it while I was waiting for our flight info
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:03 PM   #54
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ok, I brought the box with the old Canon laptop up to take on the next run to the dump. But on a whim I plugged it in and turned it on.

It works perfectly. Probably got it about 1986.
ACK! Throw it out??!!! What are you THINKING!

There are museums and enthusiasts everywhere who would love to take it off your hands and keep it going. We They are weird, sure. But a piece of computing history, even from only a few decades ago, is now considered not just "legacy" but "vintage". In a few more years it will be "antique" and "historic".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:52 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
ACK! Throw it out??!!! What are you THINKING!

There are museums and enthusiasts everywhere who would love to take it off your hands and keep it going. We They are weird, sure. But a piece of computing history, even from only a few decades ago, is now considered not just "legacy" but "vintage". In a few more years it will be "antique" and "historic".
Now that I see it works, it's not going anywhere unless a collector makes me an offer.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet