IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags DeSantis , electioneering , florida , immigration

Old 21st September 2022, 03:26 PM   #361
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Shipped back out in less than 48 hours! How NIMBY! One of the wealthiest areas in the US can't deal with 48 people. Imagine living in Texas.

DeSantis is a genius. I hope and pray Migrants are settled all across the US in every state. Open borders for all as it should be.
Thank you for your reporting from the Bizarro Universe of Lies.
Old 21st September 2022, 03:27 PM   #362
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Skipped learning anything about what happened before commenting, eh?
No, he knows the truth but, as always, he just doesn't give a ****.
Old 21st September 2022, 03:50 PM   #363
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nonetheless, their basic human needs are being looked after there, housed and fed on that base... and more...

https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/n...n/10400680002/
"Bourne Public Schools Superintendent Kerri Anne Quinlan-Zhou said Monday that the district's administrative team has been in contact with representatives from Joint Base Cape Cod regarding the migrant children."
"Waquoit Congregational Church members have been at Joint Base Cape Cod since Friday when the 50 migrants who arrived on Martha's Vineyard unexpectedly last Wednesday were brought to the base for longer-term accommodations.

The church, in Falmouth, has brought 10 or 12 Spanish-speaking members of the community to help with translation for the people housed at the base, many of whom don't speak English"
Cape Cod and other organizations in the region are joining forces to help the 50 migrants, including four families, who are now being housed at Joint Base Cape Cod after unexpectedly finding themselves on Marthaís Vineyard.

Alisa Magnotta, chief executive officer of the Housing Assistance Corporation in Hyannis, said her staff will work with Father Bills & MainSpring in Brockton to help figure out next steps regarding shelter assistance and permanent housing options.
I guess it must really chap your arse that these people are being treated with kindness and compassion by caring people. As for accommodation, this is an example of what Joint Base Cape Cod will use to house these people...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nafb8utn2i...tyle.png?raw=1

... and this is the Trump/GOP solution
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiorc9bhoh...tyle.png?raw=1
Not very impressive. That cage photo is from 2014 during the Obama/Biden Admin. Chain link fence enclosures have been the norm for some time in detention facilities.

These people were being treated with kindness and compassion all the way to the Bus Stop. But in the same sentence the press was told: "They'll have to go somewhere else."

Hipocrisy has been exposed and Immigration brought to the forefront of the Nation's attention. Well done DeSantis!
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 04:01 PM   #364
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by Darat:  Moderated content removed.

Not very impressive. That cage photo is from 2014 during the Obama/Biden Admin. Chain link fence enclosures have been the norm for some time in detention facilities.

These people were being treated with kindness and compassion all the way to the Bus Stop. But in the same sentence the press was told: "They'll have to go somewhere else."

Hipocrisy has been exposed and Immigration brought to the forefront of the Nation's attention. Well done DeSantis!

THESE are the 2014 photos that were wrongly used..https://apnews.com/article/immigrati...ecdd226df2faa8

The photo I posted was taken by the photographer working for the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General on June 10, 2019, at Border Patrol's McAllen, Texas, station.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...cates-n1025961

Withdraw your claim unconditionally!

Last edited by Darat; 23rd September 2022 at 03:03 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 04:29 PM   #365
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
And I would add: Desantis could have flown a bunch of migrants into an active volcano and the right-wing response would be largely the same.
"But, you know, DHS was part of it, so it's legit, right? Not just an old crappy backwards racist using brown people like pawns on a human-sized chess board. Har Har"
Old 21st September 2022, 05:01 PM   #366
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I think the Migrants (or Immigrants as the case may be) should be allowed to settle anywhere they wish in the US. It's a hard sell that there is no housing or jobs available at Martha's Vineyard.

I'm certain none were expecting to be living at a Military base.
I tend to agree they should be free to settle where they wish.

They also shouldn't be tempted with lies when choosing where to live. Especially not for cynical political points.

As far as I know, they're free to leave the base, but I don't know much. I presume that none of them have friends or relatives around the Cape and they have little money, so there aren't a lot of options for where to live. Maybe they could have found friends or relatives in Texas or Florida, but ain't a lot of Venezuelan immigrants on the Cape or Islands.

As far as jobs on the Vineyard, first, I don't think that asylum seekers can work without some sort of permit (but perhaps others know better). Second, it's the off-season. I think the year-rounders pretty much fill out all the employment available in the off-season.

And as far as housing, there's not a lot of free housing on the island. The cheap housing is often taken in the winter months by the locals, in the "Island Shuffle" (shuffling from really crap housing to newly cheaper decent housing when tourists leave[1]). There may be more, but I don't know whether the immigrants could afford it.

It's an island that makes its money off of summer tourism. It's a stupid place to send immigrants unless you're just being an *******.

[1] I read about the Island Shuffle thanks to this recent kerfluffle. Don't mistake me for someone who really knows much about the Vineyard.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 05:24 PM   #367
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm puzzled by what you mean here. It sounds like you're saying the DHS themselves participated in moving the migrants to Martha's Vineyard. I don't see any hint that this is true. So far as I know, the only reference to DHS "participation" has to do with processing the migrants as they entered the country.

As far as what a Massachusetts attorney should know about how the DHS processes migrants on the southern border, it seems to me plausible that she can competently do her job without ever seeing such a form. I'll bet that most asylum seekers who come to Massachusetts entered the US in a different way or already with an address where they planned to stay.

Why on earth should Massachusetts do that? It's an option, sure, but I don't see that it's required for moral consistency or anything.

And, keep in mind that the sanctuary state status is a matter of a court ruling, not a legislative choice. There is no court ruling that the treatment of asylum seekers must be on par with the treatment of refugees.

Finally, no matter what MA should do, the fact is that the brochure was simply a baldfaced lie. When considering which parties aren't living up to basic moral convictions, I suppose I'd point the finger first at those who deceived the migrants in order to score political points.
What I mean is DHS has their way of doing things that I'm sure made sense to whoever wrote the policy. Those ways may not make sense to us, but they don't have to, they only have to make sense to the policy writers. Front line workers are told to do what the policy book says and they do it, collect their paychecks every second Friday and wait for retirement. Such is life in government.

Self probably can do her job well but her raging on TV about fake addresses isn't a good look and she's involved herself in the spread of misinformation. That's typical for these kinds of stories though. Initial reporting and details are clarified and collected later but at the time her take was supposed to be gospel due to her professional standing.

It matters not how MA achieves their sanctuary status. Through the courts of legislation. If you're happy with MA dipping their toes in sanctuary waters then you're happy with it. MA probably won't see many more asylees....unless this group contacts asylees remaining in San Antonio and shows them pictures of their accommodation and tells them about the $175K.

Sure beats three days in a migrant shelter then being dropped off at the bus station with instructions to "sleep here".
Stout is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 05:40 PM   #368
Stout
Illuminator

As far as jobs on the Vineyard, first, I don't think that asylum seekers can work without some sort of permit (but perhaps others know better). Second, it's the off-season. I think the year-rounders pretty much fill out all the employment available in the off-season.

And as far as housing, there's not a lot of free housing on the island. The cheap housing is often taken in the winter months by the locals, in the "Island Shuffle" (shuffling from really crap housing to newly cheaper decent housing when tourists leave[1]). There may be more, but I don't know whether the immigrants could afford it.

It's an island that makes its money off of summer tourism. It's a stupid place to send immigrants unless you're just being an *******.

[1] I read about the Island Shuffle thanks to this recent kerfluffle. Don't mistake me for someone who really knows much about the Vineyard.
It's actually worse than that island shuffle article. I read a story about a doctor who couldn't afford to live in MV. But, yes, it is the shoulder season with most places milking those last tourist dollars out of anyone they can before (hopefully) moving into some of that tourist accommodation for the winter. A recent influx of retirees has made this more challenging.

That church the asylees ended up at, that's actually a homeless shelter that wasn't open for the season yes. There's second one as well. The people who actually helped the migrants were the working class, not the rich people that were supposed to be targeted in this cheap stunt. They tell of making donations in the hundreds of dollars which makes me wonder if this $175K pledged will ever actually show up now that the asylees have been housed and fed.

How do I know this? I spent a couple of hours pretending I wanted to move to MV with $5000 in my wallet. I wouldn't do it, no way no how.
Stout is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 05:53 PM   #369
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
What I mean is DHS has their way of doing things that I'm sure made sense to whoever wrote the policy. Those ways may not make sense to us, but they don't have to, they only have to make sense to the policy writers. Front line workers are told to do what the policy book says and they do it, collect their paychecks every second Friday and wait for retirement. Such is life in government.

Self probably can do her job well but her raging on TV about fake addresses isn't a good look and she's involved herself in the spread of misinformation. That's typical for these kinds of stories though. Initial reporting and details are clarified and collected later but at the time her take was supposed to be gospel due to her professional standing.
I think you're right that the made-up addresses on the forms were a red herring, apparently part of the rules followed at the southern border. Self probably was unfamiliar with it and mistook it for part of the mistreatment leading up to the relocation.

Quote:

It matters not how MA achieves their sanctuary status. Through the courts of legislation. If you're happy with MA dipping their toes in sanctuary waters then you're happy with it. MA probably won't see many more asylees....unless this group contacts asylees remaining in San Antonio and shows them pictures of their accommodation and tells them about the $175K.

Sure beats three days in a migrant shelter then being dropped off at the bus station with instructions to "sleep here".
Perhaps the migrants are better off on the Cape, but that doesn't make what DeSantis did all right. He didn't give a damn about the migrants. His people lied to get people onto that plane in Texas, to ship them to Florida (so he could pretend that this was about immigrants in Florida) and then to a wildly inappropriate place to "settle" them. It is only fortunate that the people of the Vineyard and Cape have reacted quite positively to the unfortunate situation.

As it goes with these things, the charitable attitude would probably diminish as more immigrants come. At least, the per-person contributions would decrease.

That said, it would be great if those who are granted asylum settle around the area.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 05:56 PM   #370
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It's actually worse than that island shuffle article. I read a story about a doctor who couldn't afford to live in MV. But, yes, it is the shoulder season with most places milking those last tourist dollars out of anyone they can before (hopefully) moving into some of that tourist accommodation for the winter. A recent influx of retirees has made this more challenging.

That church the asylees ended up at, that's actually a homeless shelter that wasn't open for the season yes. There's second one as well. The people who actually helped the migrants were the working class, not the rich people that were supposed to be targeted in this cheap stunt. They tell of making donations in the hundreds of dollars which makes me wonder if this $175K pledged will ever actually show up now that the asylees have been housed and fed.

How do I know this? I spent a couple of hours pretending I wanted to move to MV with $5000 in my wallet. I wouldn't do it, no way no how.
Good to see we agree on the point that the Vineyard was a particularly (and perhaps purposefully) bad choice. Even Falmouth, just across the Sound, would have been a lot better destination.
Old 21st September 2022, 08:24 PM   #371
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's being deliberately obtuse and wrong for the DHS to just randomly assign places and dates for immigrants that are thousands of mile away and impossible for them to attend. It's cynically undermining genuine applicants solely because they are from their home countries, have arrived at the entrepot they did, or simply have brown skin. What is this? Befehl ist befehl? That got shut down by the USA 75 years ago.

Even if SS-Oberst-GruppenfŁhrer DeSantis hadn't flown these unwitting immigrants anywhere, it's still ****-house racist DHS policy that should have been firmly stamped out by departmental management the moment it was spotted.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 21st September 2022 at 08:27 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 09:42 PM   #372
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As expected, the stunt was primarily about paying back political donors with taxpayer money.
Old 21st September 2022, 10:36 PM   #373
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That certainly is a seething post. It's no surprise that many in a certain political party share the views expressed in your post. Rather than any attempt of discussion to solve a specific issue, some would rather focus on personal attack, bigotry and ignoring the issues at hand. Bravo!
"Seething"? "Bigotry"? Hmmmm...interesting perception.

As for "discussing a specific issue" in an attempt "to solve" it your contribution has basically been:

[quote=ChrisBFRPKY;13908093]NIMBY is going to be the new slogan for the Democrat Party.[/QUOTE]

Because Republican states are just begging for migrants/refugees to come to their states and live in their back yards, right?

How about acknowledging the picture you claimed was from Obama's time as POTUS was taken in June, 2019...well into Trump's administration?

Pssst: it's Democratic, not Democrat Party.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 21st September 2022 at 10:49 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 11:10 PM   #374
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

After filing an application for asylum, and then a minimum of 150 days (just under 5 months) has passed, a migrant can then file for a work permit. Until it is granted, a migrant cannot legally work. I don't know how DeSantis thinks these people could find a job in MV. But I don't think he cared if they did or not.

Quote:
You may apply for employment authorization 150 days after you file your asylum application instead of waiting 365 days.
You may file a Form I-765 based on your pending asylum application 150 days after you file your asylum application. You are not eligible to receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) until your asylum application has been pending for a total of 180 days. The 150-day waiting period and the 180-day eligibility period, commonly referred to as the 180-Day Asylum EAD Clock, do not include delays that you request or cause while your asylum application is pending with an asylum office or with the immigration court.
https://www.uscis.gov/laws-and-polic...rks-v-mayorkas
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:47 AM   #375
Blank
Scholar

This.

Immigrants should be placed in every state and jurisdiction within the US. We cannot expect 2 or 3 states to handle the current influx entirely on their own.
Funny, but I somehow think this is the exact opposite of what Abbott would want.

After all it would take away A LOT of federal jobs from Texas and cause a big loss of employment to a sector that employs people that generally support him.
Blank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:16 AM   #376
Lurch
Master Poster

NIMBY is going to be the new slogan for the Democrat Party.
NIMBY already is the slogan of the GQP. It is why DeathSentence is shipping people out of state.

Actually, their slogan is nearer to NIMC.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:26 AM   #377
Lurch
Master Poster

Three things:

1. Bandwagon Fallacy
The bandwagon fallacy assumes something is true (or right or good) because others agree with it. In other words, the fallacy argues that if everyone thinks a certain way, then you should, too.

2. Red Herring
A red herring is an argument that uses confusion or distraction to shift attention away from a topic and toward a false conclusion. Red herrings usually contain an unimportant fact, idea, or event that has little relevance to the real issue.

3. The fact is that in less than 48 hours 48 human beings were placed on a bus and shipped away from the area they arrived for settlement. Shameful! Doesn't really matter who one voted for, the facts in this case remain the same. There is obviously a problem somewhere that cannot be ignored.
Sure. Let's overlook the causative act of dropping these 48 people on a tiny, kind of isolated community completely unannounced, and which *was not* the place they were led to believe they were going, and up to thousands of miles from the places they had to report to in just 3 days.

Yeah, that's completely immaterial. Those darned Libs moving these folk into a more supportive situation, caring for them as they waited, is just so much more horrific.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 04:21 AM   #378
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Funny, but I somehow think this is the exact opposite of what Abbott would want.

After all it would take away A LOT of federal jobs from Texas and cause a big loss of employment to a sector that employs people that generally support him.
Indeed. There are over 1.4 million Federal employees in Texas, and about 1/3 of them work in jobs related to migrants and immigration. Also, Texas has about five million immigrant residents who pay more than $40 billion in annual taxes. On top of all that, Texas is currently suffering an acute labor shortage. That shortage is in jobs that Americans don't want to do, but immigrants are willing to do.

Facts need to be faced - if Texas shipped all its immigrants to other states, it loses 18% of its tax take and and public spending power. Its economy could collapse, or at least, be severely impacted. Any way you slice it, wealthy Texas get to live the privileged lives they do on the backs of immigrants.

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd September 2022 at 04:23 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:24 AM   #379
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So I keep seeing republickers claiming that MV is a "sanctuary city" and so should have....given all the immigrants sent there jobs or something.

[RhetoricalQ]Do they even know what 'sanctuary city' means?[/Rhetorical]
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:42 AM   #380
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
So I keep seeing republickers claiming that MV is a "sanctuary city" and so should have....given all the immigrants sent there jobs or something.

[RhetoricalA]It means the exact same thing as "woke", "CRT", and "BLM". Namely, "we don't know but we hate it and it must be stopped".[/RhetoricalA]
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:43 AM   #381
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

[Realise it is rhetorical but...] They know what they seem to THINK it means, and are prepared to be dicks as a result. What they don't know is they are quite wrong.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:37 AM   #382
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
No, it's being deliberately obtuse and wrong for the DHS to just randomly assign places and dates for immigrants that are thousands of mile away and impossible for them to attend.
According to DHS, the migrants had just entered the country when this occurred. They were assigned nearby addresses and courts. It is not the fault of DHS that they were subsequently transported far away.

All of the above depends on DHS telling the truth, of course, but it seems plausible and I don't see a good reason to doubt it yet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:49 AM   #383
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I'm going to break from my typical mantra about these antics. In this case, the cruelty is not the point. The cruelty is meant to be a distraction from the half-million dollars embezzled from the Florida state budget with every flight.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:07 AM   #384
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Desantis' whole stunt was based on the assumption that "The left is just as racist I am and once they see a bunch of brown people show up they will kick them out SO FAST!" When that didn't happen, they just made up a lie that it did anyways. The right gobbles it up because believing absurdities is a requirement for that lot.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:36 AM   #385
Warp12
King of Kings

Desantis' whole stunt was based on the assumption that "The left is just as racist I am and once they see a bunch of brown people show up they will kick them out SO FAST!"

You really think that is what he expected to happen, and that was his motivation??
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:47 AM   #386
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
You really think that is what he expected to happen, and that was his motivation??
Of course, it was. That's why he sent word to Fox News instead of local authorities and had the NIMBY stories ready to go, despite the locals' actual reaction.
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:49 AM   #387
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Has it been mentioned the the racists have done this before? When slavery was abolished, Southern governments started bussing black people to the north in the same way with the same kinds of lies. The Great Migration was more like The Great Trafficking.

Republicans, keeping racism alive and well.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:56 AM   #388
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Has it been mentioned the the racists have done this before? When slavery was abolished, Southern governments started bussing black people to the north in the same way with the same kinds of lies. The Great Migration was more like The Great Trafficking.

I don't think that your view of history is correct. Far as I understand it, there really was a voluntary Great Migration, with (per WP) the first one beginning in 1910 and the second in 1941.

There were also "Reverse Freedom Rides" which are a lot like the DeSantis stunt, but this came a lot later (1962) than the abolition of slavery or the start of the Great Migrations.

I reckon you're confusing the Reverse Freedom Rides with genuine migration patterns of a much longer time period and with greater numbers.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:03 AM   #389
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Southern governments were not run by Republicans back in those days. And seriously, the reverse freedom rides (however odious they might have been) were a drop in the bucket compared to the Great Migration.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:07 AM   #390
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Of course, it was. That's why he sent word to Fox News instead of local authorities and had the NIMBY stories ready to go, despite the locals' actual reaction.

Why would he send the news to anyone but Fox, to start? They are the ones that are going to support the right's narrative about Democrat policies on immigration. That just makes for further publicity after Fox stokes the fire.

The NIMBY thing is an aside. And, in fairness, they did boot them out in a couple of days and likely breathed a sigh of relief in watching them leave. And the left screeched to high heaven in the process. Just watching the video in the OP makes me chuckle, now. This sort of thing brings a lot of satisfaction to the base.

News Flash: The right does not care about Dem claims of righteousness, and certainly is not touched by any so-called "acts of kindness" when it comes to Dem-supported policies on immigration.

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd September 2022 at 09:10 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:11 AM   #391
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Reread my post slowly if you're struggling.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:12 AM   #392
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

they did boot them out in a couple of days
This is false.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:15 AM   #393
Warp12
King of Kings

This is false.

They were conveniently removed. Then the residents held a party, no doubt. Nobody wants 50 random immigrants camping out in the neighborhood. Nobody with half a brain, anyway.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:16 AM   #394
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Back on page 2
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:18 AM   #395
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

They were conveniently removed. Then the residents held a party, no doubt. Nobody wants 50 random immigrants camping out in the neighborhood. Nobody with half a brain, anyway.
So youíre not even trying to mask your racism now.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:22 AM   #396
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
So youíre not even trying to mask your racism now.
Or the hypocrisy. This is the same position that he was incredulous that DeSantis actually has.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:26 AM   #397
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
So you’re not even trying to mask your racism now.

Call it what you want. If you are saying you want 50 homeless, jobless, poorly-vetted random strangers (many you can't even communicate with) showing up in your neighborhood, so be it. They can stay the hell out of mine, thank you very much. Most reasonable people would feel the same.

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd September 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:47 AM   #398
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Call it what you want. If you are saying you want 50 homeless, jobless, poorly-vetted random strangers (many you can't even communicate with) showing up in your neighborhood, so be it. They can stay the hell out of mine, thank you very much.
And, yet, let's examine this for a minute. What did the people of MV actually do? They came together to help these random strangers who were unexpectedly and unceremoniously dumped on their proverbial doorsteps. They gave them new clothes, supplies, and phones. AP Spanish students showed up to help translate. They gave them a comfortable place to stay while everyone figured out what to do. Lawyers and councilors gave free help and advice.

Most reasonable people would feel the same.
You seem to have a very low opinion of "reasonable people".
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:48 AM   #399
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

They were conveniently removed.
This is still false. You can either do some basic fact-checking or be an unpaid advertiser of Republican lies. Your call.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:53 AM   #400
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As a wise woman recently said:
Quote:
Ron DeSantis is Donald Trump at an earlier stage of syphilis.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics