IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Old 3rd September 2022, 09:47 AM   #41
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If Russia sucked less they might have control of a financial system and not have to put so much money outside in more reliable countries.
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:50 AM   #42
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
G7 countries have financial systems. It's hardly their fault Russia isn't trustworthy enough to build one of it's own and has to depend on the ones other countries have built.

Again, look at the mocking map from the Chinese guy. It is not Russia who is isolated, it's us. Our criminal "elites". And the rest of the world is building their own systems at high pace.
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:52 AM   #43
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
You can close your eyes to the attempted or executed crimes against humanity all you want, won't change the facts. You can also read the daily briefing at the known place. Here is the first half of the first of two posts today:

That's the first half of the first half of the proverbial "clobbing list". It is senseless cannon fodder feeding as the clown in Kiev and his sidekicks are not allowed to negotiate because of their "Western" overlords. These are people dragged from the streets dying every day, not professional soldiers. I thought you love "the Ukrainians" so much?
The only thing stopping Ukraine from negotiating is that they know they need to bring Russia to heel first. There's not point in trying until Russia needs to make the pain stop. The Ukrainian government knows that you can't take a Russian's word; it has no value. The only way negotiating will work is if Russia suffers serious losses.
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:52 AM   #44
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

For the record and before someone accuses me of hypocrisy (if it hasn't already happened), I consider my own country, Germany, a colony of the Empire of Lies as well, and I would like it to be really sovereign.

The "G7 countries" have a tiny fraction of the population on this planet, and times when countries like Canada or Italy have been "great" in that sense are long gone, it only is a measurement of the overrated Dollar and its ugly child, the Euro.

And you really should pay attention to what the Chinese are pulling out these days, not only that guy who posted the map and is something like the foreign minister or his second man in line of a country that has more people than the whole of the "red area" alone.

On a planet being decimated by human overpopulation I'm not sure that having a large population or even high population densities should be considered a sign of "greatness".

Not that Russia is a population juggernaut itself, it's got low population growth to begin with, no one wants to move there and all the smart talented people want to, and are, leaving.
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:53 AM   #45
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Again, look at the mocking map from the Chinese guy. It is not Russia who is isolated, it's us. Our criminal "elites". And the rest of the world is building their own systems at high pace.
Then why did Russia park their money in our banks if we're so isolated? We're not isolated if they're coming to us.
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:04 AM   #46
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

On a planet being decimated by human overpopulation I'm not sure that having a large population or even high population densities should be considered a sign of "greatness".

Not that Russia is a population juggernaut itself, it's got low population growth to begin with, no one wants to move there and all the smart talented people want to, and are, leaving.

LOL @ "no one wants to move to Russia". Smart and capable people are lining up to move there. It is the number one location for people who try to flee the clown show. Number two here is Africa, Tanzania in particular, then traditional locations like Portugal. But Russia is by far number one.

I'm not lining up as I think the problems we have cannot be fled like this, as they are global, and I want to take part in solving them in the country I was born in and love. But saying no one wants to move to Russia ... just breath-taking unawareness of what is actually happening.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd September 2022 at 10:07 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:07 AM   #47
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Isolated from what? Are you under the delusion that Africa or South America actually support Russia? I can assure you, it's more a case that they simply don't care about either Russia. Russia is irrelevant to them, it may as well not exist and they wouldn't notice if it disappeared tomorrow.

Do you think China supports Russia? I assure you China wants to turn Russia into an actual colony of it's own empire and with Russia's weakness exposed that doesn't look to be too far off.

India? Well it has mirrored the growing fascism in Russia over the last 2 decades ideological similarity only take you so far. India views Russia as an ally to the growing threat of China, but again with Russian weakness being so clear I don't see that relationship holding up.

None of these, not even India has anywhere near the relationship with Russia as they do with the G7, the notion that the G7 is somehow "isolated" is absurd.
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:15 AM   #48
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

LOL @ "no one wants to move to Russia". Smart and capable people are lining up to move there. It is the number one location for people who try to flee the clown show. Number two here is Africa, Tanzania in particular, then traditional locations like Portugal. But Russia is by far number one.
Yeah, not so much...
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...e-war-drags-on
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rain-underway/
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...rd-rate-a78437

I'm not lining up as I think the problems we have cannot be fled like this, as they are global, and I want to take part in solving them in the country I was born in and love. But saying no one wants to move to Russia ... just breath-taking unawareness of what is actually happening.
Russia's problems are purely Russian and can easily escaped by leaving Russia, which is what smart educated people are doing is droves.
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:17 AM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The mind boggles at the thought of all the stable geniuses lining for Russia and Africa in an attempt to escape... Western Europe.
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:29 AM   #50
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The mind boggles at the thought of all the stable geniuses lining for Russia and Africa in an attempt to escape... Western Europe.

Yeah it does, but it is the case. Our minister of economy is on record saying that Germany makes him vomit and he could never positively relate to it. The chancellor is a corrupt communist. The Foreign minister is a complete douchebag, dumb as a rock. And the list goes on.

These people have nothing but contempt for us. And I don't know where lomiller is from, I assume US-American, but if he is from Canada or Australia or "Great" Britain, is it any different?

The head of the EU is also a totally corrupt douchebag, Uschi von der Leyen earned herself a number of unpleasent nicknames like "Zensursula" and "Flintenuschi". Unelected. "Complimented" away.

And yet we are to hate people who clearly love their people like Hungary's Orban, Turkey's Erdogan, I have to add Trump in that list, and of course VV Putin?

And love that green-shirted actor Zelenskyyy whose (un-)actions senselessly kill hundreds of his people every day?

Something doesn't add up here.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd September 2022 at 10:33 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:44 AM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the frying pan does get pretty uncomfortable on low heat. You'd even want to pat yourself on the back for jumping out, if the floor weren't lava.
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:52 AM   #52
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

For the record [...] I consider my own country, Germany, a colony of the Empire of Lies as well [...]
The chancellor is a corrupt communist.

Of course.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:07 PM   #53
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
Of course.

The problem is not that he is a communist, and I don't use the term lightly as you might think as certain US-Americans use it, he is a communist as you can see by his vita. The problem is that he apparently is corrupt. There is an ongoing investigation into the so-called "Cum-Ex Scandal" in which he had to testify twice already, and made himself famous by saying around 30 times "I can't remember" in his very recent testimony. This is crawling slowly to the surface and we will likely all hear about it soon. But that's for a different thread.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd September 2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:24 PM   #54
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

The problem is not that he is a communist, and I don't use the term lightly as you might think as certain US-Americans use it, he is a communist as you can see by his vita.
[...]I consider my own country, Germany, a colony of the Empire of Lies as well[...]
Of course.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:35 PM   #55
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
Of course.

Anything on the mounting evidence the Russians present about the Biolabs in the Ukraine?
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:11 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Unfortunately, there are two big problems with renewables. The first is the issue of intermittency (Germany is one of the least sunny and least windy countries in Europe), and the second is a serious shortage of many of the materials required for renewable energy generation and storage. This shortage is aggravated by the fact that a lot of those materials are controlled by China and other countries hostile to the West.

That said, there's no reason that Russian gas and oil can't be completely and permanently replaced by other energy sources, including more renewables where feasible. But realistically, nuclear and natural gas (and at least some oil) are going to have to be part of that replacement for the foreseeable future.
Problem with renewables is we are not quite there when it comes to generating the amount power needed.
You also have a political problem in that the pain from a quick transistion is simply too great; people will revolt.
I also think the "Green Movement" made a huge,stupid mistake in their blind oppostion to Nuclear power. it seems to be to be based more on emotion then anything else.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:19 PM   #57
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Anything on the mounting evidence the Russians present about the Biolabs in the Ukraine?
What countries don't have at least a BSL3 lab? Just about any hospital has a BSL2 lab.

Is the Ukraine running an active bio-weapon program the way Russia does? Almost certainly not, but like just about every other country with a significant military they will be looking for countermeasures against Russian bio-weapons.
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:34 PM   #58
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:38 PM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The only worthwhile YouTube punchline ends in XcQ.

This isn't it.
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:00 PM   #60
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

What countries don't have at least a BSL3 lab? Just about any hospital has a BSL2 lab.

Is the Ukraine running an active bio-weapon program the way Russia does? Almost certainly not, but like just about every other country with a significant military they will be looking for countermeasures against Russian bio-weapons.

The BTWC has been signed by almost every country on the planet except for the usual suspects like Israel and some other rogue nations in Africa and the Middle East. Including the USA, it signed it as well. You have zero, I repeat zero evidence that Russia actively runs a biological weapons program, you just believe some nonsense in the UK yellow press about "Novichok" which apperently is the most deadly agent but actually kills nobody. While Russia is pounding out batches and batches of evidence with names and addresses for that the USA is up to some very fishy stuff in Georgia and the Ukraine and elsewhere. Which will be discussed starting Monday in Geneva.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd September 2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:00 PM   #61
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
If true... Uh huh.

Ukrainian wunderwaffe are being used to attack the nuclear power plant so that it just looks like the Russians attacking it, eh?
Isn't that a live shell?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:10 PM   #62
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

The BTWC has been signed by almost every country on the planet
Russia signed a treaty to respect the boarders of Ukraine, how'd that turn out?
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:24 PM   #63
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Russian Colony.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:28 PM   #64
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Now back to the war. We read about various weapons being donated (or sold on credit? dunno) to Ukraine, often in small batches. How are the Ukrainians managing this heterogenous assembly of equipment? No doubt it's welcome, but it must be logistically complicated. Shades of Republican Spain!

Anybody got links to knowledgeable sources that keep up with the materiel side of the war?
I'm wondering if some vehicles just don't get serviced.
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:30 PM   #65
a_unique_person

You can close your eyes to the attempted or executed crimes against humanity all you want, won't change the facts. You can also read the daily briefing at the known place. Here is the first half of the first of two posts today:

That's the first half of the first half of the proverbial "clobbing list". It is senseless cannon fodder feeding as the clown in Kiev and his sidekicks are not allowed to negotiate because of their "Western" overlords. These are people dragged from the streets dying every day, not professional soldiers. I thought you love "the Ukrainians" so much?
How many Himars have been destroyed now?
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:32 PM   #66
a_unique_person

Why aren't you there yet?
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:37 PM   #67
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Isn't that a live shell?
I believe it is an unguided cluster munition carrier.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:39 PM   #68
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Why aren't you there yet?

Feel free to read the second paragraph of what you quoted.
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:59 PM   #69
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Feel free to read the second paragraph of what you quoted.

Btw, I know some people will not believe me again, but I have never been to Russia and don't know two relevant words. I also have never been to Turkey and only know a couple of words because here around me are a lot of them. But if you ask me to "go over there", actually a running gag in Germany in the times we have been divided by a wall and a fence and weapons, to live under a "strong man" who actually just cares about his people, I would choose Hungary where I have been many times and failed to learn the language exactly as often, although I tried as many times. What a difficult language, not Romanic, not Slavic, related only to Finnish, but I love the country and the people. But as you can read in the mentioned paragraph, I love Germany more, and I know the language quite well, thank you very much.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd September 2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:25 PM   #70
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Those are Russian claims. They don't matter.
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:31 PM   #71
sackett
Philosopher

I'm wondering if some vehicles just don't get serviced.
Certainly there's way more to donating equipment than just crating and shipping. Spare parts, appropriate tools, tech manuals in languages people can read, specialized lubes and fluids, training -- I'm no doubt leaving out stuff by the truckload.

But war is wasteful under any conditions. I hope that weapons in particular are sent where they're needed, and expended prodigally.* As it is, we read about Ukrainians improvising with, e.g., missile platforms. That arises, I assume, from them receiving incomplete systems. Maybe that's unavoidable? I Jesus hope so.

* Hey, no skimping on Mr. Pustin's order! Pile his little plate! He loves his people so!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 3rd September 2022 at 04:33 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:33 PM   #72
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-3rd-...-putin-1739649

The 3rd Army Corps is delayed getting to the front. Formed in June, on the way to Ukraine in August. A bunch of dead men walking.
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:58 PM   #73
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Another great piece by b: The Ukrainian 'Counteroffensive' Was Destined To Fail - Today It Did So

Conclusion:

Originally Posted by b
[...] Heads in Kiev should and will likely roll over this. But that is not enough. Those in London who came up with this lunatic idea should be removed from their positions.

Meanwhile U.S. President Joe Biden has asked for $13.7 billion in additional money for Ukraine.

He wants to fight Russia down to the very last Ukrainian. A fight Russia does not want but is assured to win.

Can Biden be held to account for this?

Which is of course a rhetorical question. Almost mean.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd September 2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:02 PM   #74
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Another great piece by b: The Ukrainian 'Counteroffensive' Was Destined To Fail - Today It Did So

Conclusion:

Which is of course a rhetorical question. Almost mean.
It only failed in your world.
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:18 PM   #75
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/russia-3rd-...-putin-1739649

The 3rd Army Corps is delayed getting to the front. Formed in June, on the way to Ukraine in August. A bunch of dead men walking.
I saw a tweet thread about them a week or so ago. They are well equipped with newer variants of T-80s and T-90s and bunch of other more modern stuff. They may the best equipped group of that size yet sent into Ukraine.

But they are old, a bunch of (relatively) old men in their 40's and 50's. And their officers are just local bureaucrats, police captains, fire brigade chiefs and such from the area that the men are sourced from. And they don't have a huge amount of recent training although most served years (and years and years and years) ago.

Dad's army with the equipment the kids should have been equipped with seven months ago.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:41 PM   #76
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

How many Himars have been destroyed now?
376, of course. Also, 4652 artillery pieces, 573 aircraft, 434 helicopters, 121 ships, 1231 tanks, 700 thousand military buildings, and 105K soldiers enhanced with supersoldier serum, among other things. Russia's the underdog here, but it's acquitting itself admirably against the drugged up Nazi invaders.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd September 2022 at 05:44 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:56 PM   #77
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
376, of course. Also, 4652 artillery pieces, 573 aircraft, 434 helicopters, 121 ships, 1231 tanks, 700 thousand military buildings, and 105K soldiers enhanced with supersoldier serum, among other things. Russia's the underdog here, but it's acquitting itself admirably against the drugged up Nazi invaders.

You can find that "funny". I don't. The actual official numbers are

Far more tanks than you could have imagined.
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:05 PM   #78
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, the "rubble" didn't collapse and yes, the Russian foreign reserves declined. The latter is because "the West" stole them.
The west froze some of them, but they are still on Russia’s books. The decrease in foreign currency reserves isn’t from assets freezes. It’s from Russia spending that money to buy rubles to prop up the value of the ruble.

Quote:
Here is what a high-ranking Chinese government official posted - the "non-red" countries are those who didn't participate in anti-Russia sanctions. The rest is the "international community".
What’s your point? Are you trying to argue that the sanctions don’t matter? Or is this argument as populum?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:06 PM   #79
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Far more tanks than you could have imagined.
Obviously not, since these numbers were imagined.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:10 PM   #80
a_unique_person

Btw, I know some people will not believe me again, but I have never been to Russia and don't know two relevant words. I also have never been to Turkey and only know a couple of words because here around me are a lot of them. But if you ask me to "go over there", actually a running gag in Germany in the times we have been divided by a wall and a fence and weapons, to live under a "strong man" who actually just cares about his people, I would choose Hungary where I have been many times and failed to learn the language exactly as often, although I tried as many times. What a difficult language, not Romanic, not Slavic, related only to Finnish, but I love the country and the people. But as you can read in the mentioned paragraph, I love Germany more, and I know the language quite well, thank you very much.
How about we all put in so you can go to the land of paradise at least once in your lifetime.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics