IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Old 3rd September 2022, 06:22 PM   #81
GraculusTheGreenBird
Muse

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
How about we all put in so you can go to the land of paradise at least once in your lifetime.
I vote Crimea.
GraculusTheGreenBird is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:00 PM   #82
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
You can find that "funny". I don't. The actual official numbers are

Far more tanks than you could have imagined.
Did you make up this lie or are you spreading someone else's lie?
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:12 PM   #83
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
How about we all put in so you can go to the land of paradise at least once in your lifetime.

If you want to sponsor me a trip to Russia, I won't say no. I would especially like to see St. Petersburg. I'd be back though.
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:16 PM   #84
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What’s your point? Are you trying to argue that the sanctions don’t matter? Or is this argument as populum?

My point is that Russia isn't isolated.
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:10 PM   #85
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Yeah, not so much...
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...e-war-drags-on
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rain-underway/
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...rd-rate-a78437

Russia's problems are purely Russian and can easily escaped by leaving Russia, which is what smart educated people are doing is droves.
A lot of Russia's population issues come down to treating women like crap. It hasn't gotten better over time. Ten years ago they were trying to offer incentives for having more than one baby. I guess giving the happy couple a new refrigerator is not enough. Especially when they did things like decriminalize first offenses for wife beating.

The cold, hard reality is that educated women generally don't immigrate to places like Russia even when Russia is doing well. Many women want out, of course, which is why the mail order bride industry did so well.
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:40 PM   #86
Wildy
Adelaidean

If you can't see that China actively helps Russia to forge a multipolar world order, there is no point.
They're not helping Russia forge a multipolar world. They're working to make themselves one of the poles, with the ideal being that they take the place of hegemon that the US has held since the end of the Cold War.

We're going to end up in a multipolar world again, but Russia won't be one of the poles.

Quote:
France is in South America now? Now there's some good news.
French Guyana.
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:17 PM   #87
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
A lot of Russia's population issues come down to treating women like crap. It hasn't gotten better over time. Ten years ago they were trying to offer incentives for having more than one baby. I guess giving the happy couple a new refrigerator is not enough. Especially when they did things like decriminalize first offenses for wife beating.

The cold, hard reality is that educated women generally don't immigrate to places like Russia even when Russia is doing well. Many women want out, of course, which is why the mail order bride industry did so well.
Russia has lots of laws and polices that the civilized world started leaving behind 100 years ago, but I expect the main reason for shrinking population is the same as it is everywhere else. When women have access to birth control they choose to have fewer children and populations drop unless bolstered by immigration. Since no one wants to move to Russia it's population will continue to fall.

The exodus of it's smart young professionals is almost a separate issue. While it contributed to Russia's declining population, Russia's population would be falling anyway..
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:02 PM   #88
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

What mostly amazes me about that list is not the amount of airplanes or tanks that they fantasize about. I mean sure, many more planes than Ukraine ever had. Sure, they now have to lump tanks with other armored combat vehicles.

No, what amazes me the most is the number of MRLS that say they have destroyed****.

824 is just a number far beyond crazy. Oryx* lists 22 visually confirmed AFU losses in this category. That means, the Russian claim is only backed by 2.67% evidence.

For comparison, Ukraine claims*** (as of yesterday) 293 MRLS. Oryx** lists 60 destroyed and 27 captured of those systems. Which gives us a percentage of 29.69%.

Comparing tanks is a little bit more tricky, because as I said above Russia lumps them with other armored combat vehicles. Whatever they mean by that exactly. I'll try nevertheless. I won't count damaged or abandoned equipment.

Russian Claim: 4776

Oryx* numbers -- strict:
237 Tanks
130 Armoured Fighting Vehicles
200 Infantry Fighting Vehicles
----
567 ==> 11.87% backed by evidence

Or alternatively, being a little bit more lax with the categories:
237 tanks
130 Armoured Fighting Vehicles
200 Infantry Fighting Vehicles
94 Armoured Personnel Carriers
4 MRAP
132 Infantry Mobilily Vehicles
----
797 ==> 16.69 % backed by evidence

(Keep in mind, when putting APCs, MRAPs and IMVs into Russia's "Tanks and other Armoured Combat Vehicles", they'd be missing when tallying up "Special Military Automotive equipment")

For comparison Ukrainian numbers for Tanks alone***: 2034
Oryx numbers (again, only counting destroyed or captured)**: 911

==> 44.79 % backed by evidence

-------------------
* https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/0...ukrainian.html
** https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/0...equipment.html
*** https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/com...r_the_ongoing/
**** In their fantasies.
Lord Emsworth is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:20 PM   #89
Lord Emsworth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Did you make up this lie or are you spreading someone else's lie?
These number really come from the Russian MoD.
Lord Emsworth is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 12:13 AM   #90
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Another great piece by b: The Ukrainian 'Counteroffensive' Was Destined To Fail - Today It Did So

Conclusion:

Which is of course a rhetorical question. Almost mean.
This is of course the counteroffensive which would not happen and is not happening
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 01:09 AM   #91
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Those are Russian claims. They don't matter.
from April and earlier Russian claims countered by Russian biologists

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-li...redirect=false

English section

Quote:
<snipped reasoning>

We demand to stop the false, absolutely unfounded and hate-provoking statements about supposedly found evidence of the development of biological weapons in Ukrainian laboratories. We demand to publish a refutation of false information.

Biologists, graduates of Russian universities.
Or as you say, "they are Russian claims. They don't matter"

Obvious lies to fool the scientifically illiterate and credulous.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 02:04 AM   #92
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Also, the Ukrainian forces are not going to simply rush into the area. Why would they? when they have cut the supply lines far more than before and they look to have stepped up the Russian losses significantly.

With Ukraine again being able to fly Bayraktars due to the suppressed Russian air defences.

I expect more of the same with the Russian forces (something like 20,000 men) getting shorter of supplies all the time.

https://twitter.com/BarumDean/status...BLB-ne-NtNHg6Q

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 02:27 AM   #93
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
The BTWC has been signed by almost every country on the planet except for the usual suspects like Israel and some other rogue nations in Africa and the Middle East. Including the USA, it signed it as well.
Are these rogue nations part of the international community you were talking about yesterday? Or does that definition shift depending on whose propaganda you are spouting at the time?

You have zero, I repeat zero evidence that Russia actively runs a biological weapons program,
You misspelled 'Ukraine'.

you just believe some nonsense in the UK yellow press about "Novichok" which apperently is the most deadly agent but actually kills nobody.
Utter nonsense.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/wh...-so-deadly.htm

While Russia is pounding out batches and batches of evidence with names and addresses for that the USA is up to some very fishy stuff in Georgia and the Ukraine and elsewhere. Which will be discussed starting Monday in Geneva.
What specific 'fishy stuff' will be discussed in Geneva, and by whom?

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 02:34 AM   #94
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The BTWC has been signed by almost every country on the planet except for the usual suspects like Israel and some other rogue nations in Africa and the Middle East. Including the USA, it signed it as well. You have zero, I repeat zero evidence that Russia actively runs a biological weapons program, you just believe some nonsense in the UK yellow press about "Novichok" which apperently is the most deadly agent but actually kills nobody. While Russia is pounding out batches and batches of evidence with names and addresses for that the USA is up to some very fishy stuff in Georgia and the Ukraine and elsewhere. Which will be discussed starting Monday in Geneva.
Dawn Sturgess was killed by it.

but a nice try for hahaganda

Quote:
A final resort in disinformation, typically when confronted with compelling evidence or unassailable arguments, is to make a joke about the subject, or to ridicule the topic at hand.

The Skripal poisoning case is an excellent example of this strategy. Russian and pro-Kremlin disinformation outlets have continued their attempts to drown out the assassination attempt with sarcasm to turn the entire tragedy into one big joke. A similar approach has been employed in the case of the attempted assassination of Alexei Navalny, where pro-Kremlin media has competed on delivering “fun” stories on how to better kill the Russian dissident.

Old 4th September 2022, 05:17 AM   #95
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
What mostly amazes me about that list is not the amount of airplanes or tanks that they fantasize about. I mean sure, many more planes than Ukraine ever had. Sure, they now have to lump tanks with other armored combat vehicles.

No, what amazes me the most is the number of MRLS that say they have destroyed****.
For me it's the planes. According to FlightGlobal (the source for Wikipedia's numbers), Ukraine only has 192 airplanes total, including transports, trainers, and recon. Russia is claiming to have disabled all of them, plus another 94 that were never on the books.

Russia is also claiming to have disabled ten times more helicopters than Ukraine had in inventory. Russia is also claiming to have disabled 1,867 of Ukraine's paltry drones.

I wonder if Russian military planners realize that most of the troops claiming to have shot down a Ukrainian helicopter have probably never seen a Ukrainian helicopter.

---

Source (PDF):

https://www.flightglobal.com/download?ac=83633

Ukraine is on page 32.

FlightGlobal claims its data comes from Cirium. This appears to be a data mining services company for people with aviation industry interests. Cirium claims to use manufacturer records, bills of sale, and other publicly available data to generate its reports. They're probably not entirely accurate about what Ukraine has, but they're probably not off by orders of magnitude.
Old 4th September 2022, 05:19 AM   #96
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

You can find that "funny". I don't.
Alright, I'll bite.

I don't find the actual death and destruction funny. The Russian BS factories are risible to start with, though, and Russia's given those who report the numbers multiple forms of incentive to lie on top of that at multiple points. Your misdirected virtue signalling is not impressive.
Old 4th September 2022, 05:54 AM   #97
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

In case you didn't notice, practically all of Eastern Europe has been sending their Soviet-Era stuff to the Ukraine where Russia is turning it into scrap metal, including planes from Poland and who knows what else. Talking about demilitarization.

The Russian MoD has published these statistics every couple of days since the beginning of the operation. You can find them all on their telegram channel and feed them into a program to create some fancy graphs. I guess someone has been doing that anyway, but I know of nobody.

Here, I pulled two examples from there, one from April and one from July.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 4th September 2022 at 05:56 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 06:01 AM   #98
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

You mean they only grabbed what they could get their hands on?
I remind you that Russia is in the process of stealing sovereign territory from Ukraine. Do you think they should get away with this unpunished?

Quote:
If you can't see that China actively helps Russia to forge a multipolar world order, there is no point.
China is not supplying arms to Russia. It's not actively helping Russia in this war. Most likely they understand that Russia is the bad guy here.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 06:06 AM   #99
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

LOL @ "no one wants to move to Russia". Smart and capable people are lining up to move there. It is the number one location for people who try to flee the clown show. Number two here is Africa, Tanzania in particular, then traditional locations like Portugal. But Russia is by far number one.

I'm not lining up as I think the problems we have cannot be fled like this, as they are global, and I want to take part in solving them in the country I was born in and love. But saying no one wants to move to Russia ... just breath-taking unawareness of what is actually happening.
Even Russia's number one apologist doesn't want to go to Russia. I'd have thought you would jump at the chance to end your isolation here in the West.

Last edited by jeremyp; 4th September 2022 at 06:07 AM.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 06:07 AM   #100
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

So you're boasting Russia has a more vivid imagination than us. Okay.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 06:15 AM   #101
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yes yes, I know. Russians always lie, and Ukrainians never lie. Except those Ukrainians who have risen up against the coup regime, those also always lie. But they are practically Russians anyway...

You really shouldn't be surprised that people just point and laugh at this willful ignorance at this point. A state that one famous philosopher from what is now Kaliningrad once encouraged people to overcome.
Old 4th September 2022, 06:24 AM   #102
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Yes yes, I know. Russians always lie, and Ukrainians never lie. Except those Ukrainians who have risen up against the coup regime, those also always lie. But they are practically Russians anyway...
Well, I treat official Ukrainian claims with some scepticism but I dismiss official Russian claims out of hand because they do lie all the time. They've been lying since before the war began and their lies are facile and easily detected. But then, they are not directed at people like me but to keep the faithful on side.

Quote:
You really shouldn't be surprised that people just point and laugh at this willful ignorance at this point. A state that one famous philosopher from what is now Kaliningrad once encouraged people to overcome.
Now you are talking about your own posts right? Either that or you need better self awareness.
Old 4th September 2022, 07:12 AM   #103
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The latest "clobbing list" of the last 24 hours has been published and it has been a bloody day again. Losses in lifes amount to easily over 500, including 50 "foreign mercenaries" at two different camps. Also interesting, they pulverized the HQs of the "Kraken" Nazi militia near Kharkov. The numbers mentioned in the detailed report match the numbers in the also updated statistic graphic of the form I posted above. Planes up one SU-25, tanks etc up 28, most of them from the trapped "counteroffensive" as described by b in the article I posted yesterday.

Also interesting, the IAEA mission is now at the power plant, and they have over 60 international journalists with them. Apparently they already witnessed several attempted drone- and artillery attacks. Will be interesting to see what of them will make the pages of your favorite "Western" propaganda rags and if they will come to the conclusion that it are indeed the Russians who bomb the power plant that is under their control since months and full of witnesses at the moment...
Old 4th September 2022, 07:33 AM   #104
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Here you are projecting a straw man; a facile argument that nobody has made. I don't assume Ukrainian claims are accurate. I observe that Russian claims are so commonly outright lies that it's pointless trying to glean whatever kernel of truth might or might not be present. They have built their reputation over many years and it's one of being utterly and sometimes hilariously untrustworthy.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 4th September 2022 at 07:35 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 07:51 AM   #105
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Here you are projecting a straw man; a facile argument that nobody has made. I don't assume Ukrainian claims are accurate. I observe that Russian claims are so commonly outright lies that it's pointless trying to glean whatever kernel of truth might or might not be present. They have built their reputation over many years and it's one of being utterly and sometimes hilariously untrustworthy.

I disagree and think I know way better than you. If you think the Russian propaganda is worse than the Ukrainian, you haven't been paying attention or are a bad analyst. The reason why you tend to believe them is clearly that the "Western" media parrots their laughable nonsense 1:1 while demonizing Russia.

Do you know Arestovic, one of the actor's sidekicks and propaganda honchos? You should spend a bit of time paying attention to what he puts out. The good thing about him is that he's often very honest about his contempt of his fellow Ukrainians and how he makes up propaganda to fool them and his "Western" backers. Lately he said he sold his soul long ago and likes to be subversive. I blame it on the white powder. Great guy. I can't tell you where to find his stuff in English translation, I get it with German subtitles over the telegram channels I observe.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 4th September 2022 at 07:53 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 08:48 AM   #106
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

So your argument against my belief that Russia systematically lies is that a Ukrainian propagandist I don't follow also lies. Impressive. (Oh, no! Now I'm doing it.)
Old 4th September 2022, 09:44 AM   #107
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Who are these people pointing and laughing? Near as I can tell, it's just Russians and their supporters. Who cares if they laugh? No one of value is on that rather short list.
Old 4th September 2022, 10:47 AM   #108
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

More progress in Kherson Oblast - Vysokopillia is apparently officially liberated, now, which means that the battlefront is likely significantly further south now and on significantly less defensible for the Russians territory.

Also, Ukraine supposedly crossed the river in the northern part of the eastern front and reclaimed a couple settlements, meaning that Russia no longer controls that entire side of the river. Ozerne and Yampil, in this case. I wouldn't expect Ukraine to hold them if Russia makes a serious counterattack, but... that also sorta begs the question of how much force Russia can actually bring to bear there, at this point? Also, what the cost would be.

Further, well...

Quote:
Peskov: Putin is ready to negotiate with President of #Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy on how the "special operation" will be terminated and the observance not of conditions, but of Russia's interests.
If true, Putin's likely just trying to head off massive defeat, by the look of it. Russia could possibly pretty well be a completely spent power by year's end, after all.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th September 2022 at 10:54 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 11:03 AM   #109
Lord Emsworth

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
For me it's the planes. According to FlightGlobal (the source for Wikipedia's numbers), Ukraine only has 192 airplanes total, including transports, trainers, and recon. Russia is claiming to have disabled all of them, plus another 94 that were never on the books.
That claim is completely out of this world too. Although, I do have the hunch that the AFU never had 824 MLRS either.

They wish they had all that equipment that Russia claims to have destroyed.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Russia is also claiming to have disabled ten times more helicopters than Ukraine had in inventory. Russia is also claiming to have disabled 1,867 of Ukraine's paltry drones.
Well, Ukraine also claims fairly high numbers here. 864 as of yesterday. I think that may have something to do with counting all kinds of consumer drones, too. Oryx on the other hand only lists military drones (33 vs 123).
Old 4th September 2022, 11:33 AM   #110
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That claim is completely out of this world too. Although, I do have the hunch that the AFU never had 824 MLRS either.

They wish they had all that equipment that Russia claims to have destroyed.

Well, Ukraine also claims fairly high numbers here. 864 as of yesterday. I think that may have something to do with counting all kinds of consumer drones, too. Oryx on the other hand only lists military drones (33 vs 123).
FlightGlobal lists ~122 military drones (mix of Bayraktars and RQ-11 Ravens) at the start of the current conflict.
Old 4th September 2022, 12:16 PM   #111
Lord Emsworth

In case you didn't notice, practically all of Eastern Europe has been sending their Soviet-Era stuff to the Ukraine where Russia is turning it into scrap metal, including planes from Poland and who knows what else.
It is true, there has been a lot of aid from eastern European countries to Ukraine. And while there are certainly several hundred pieces of equipment given away, it is not nearly enough to explain the fantasy numbers that Russia feeds to their congregation.

Oh, and Polish planes were not given to Ukraine.

Talking about demilitarization.
Just what do you think the T-72s and MiG-29s etc will be replaced with? Talk about upgrading and reshaping. Upgrading to F-35s, maybe K2s, or what have you.

The Russian MoD has published these statistics every couple of days since the beginning of the operation. You can find them all on their telegram channel and feed them into a program to create some fancy graphs. I guess someone has been doing that anyway, but I know of nobody.

Here, I pulled two examples from there, one from April and one from July.
And they have been lampooned for their crazy claims for a long time.* But the evidence -- e-v-i-d-e-n-c-e, look it up -- is just not with them. You know, photos and videos of destroyed or captured tanks, or artillery pieces, or helicopters, or planes. You know, military equipment.

And Russia certainly isn't shy -- neither is Ukraine -- of bragging with the stuff that they have destroyed or captured. They put it on display, they show it on television, videos are posted on telegram etc. (You may recall that episode with the "Bushmaster" that you were successfully lied to about?) And of course, all of this eventually ends up on Orxy too. (As does your vehicle. You did ask what is was, didn't you?)

What's more, you do not even have to look at the evidence in such great detail. You just have to look at the Russian performance on the battlefield. And ask yourself, why their advance is ever getting slower and slower and has virtually has come to a standstill of late (They still haven't taken Seversk), when they are allegedly destroying mountains of AFU equipment?

Old soviet equipment donated to them? You 'rebutted' that yourself, it is all turned to scrap.
Wunderwaffen? Nah, they are garbage, and destroyed or bought anyway. Or something.
The spade? This seems to be the go-to vatnik excuse as of late. "They-had-eight-years-to-dig-in-as-that-is-why-we-are-not-able-to-advance"

Your choice. As always.
Old 4th September 2022, 12:37 PM   #112
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Interesting. That's about 100 more airplanes than Ukraine was thought to have when the war, er, special military operation began.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 12:43 PM   #113
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Interesting. That's about 100 more airplanes than Ukraine was thought to have when the war, er, special military operation began.
Oh, you know how aircraft are, they breed like rabbits.
Old 4th September 2022, 01:22 PM   #114
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It is true, there has been a lot of aid from eastern European countries to Ukraine. And while there are certainly several hundred pieces of equipment given away, it is not nearly enough to explain the fantasy numbers that Russia feeds to their congregation.

Oh, and Polish planes were not given to Ukraine.

Are you sure about that? I found some "factcheckers" before I posted about the Polish planes and they "debunked" that Poland sent planes to Ramstein so that the Yankistanis could send them to the Ukraine. That claim they say is false. That was in March. But they didn't "debunk" that Poland sent planes to the Ukraine, and as you agree all kinds of wonderful weapons were sent there, including the magnificent German "Panzerhaubitze2000" (I love that name) which apparently broke without any Russian involvement because "the Ukrainians" fired rounds like there was no tomorrow, and it turned out there was indeed no tomorrow.

Just what do you think the T-72s and MiG-29s etc will be replaced with? Talk about upgrading and reshaping. Upgrading to F-35s, maybe K2s, or what have you.

Nothing. They will be replaced by nothing. The "Western" ran financial system is at its absolute end, broken like the Panzerhaubitze2000, and in the forming new multipolar world, there will be no need for it. And while that is forming, the concern will be that people in "the West" won't freeze to death in their apartments or under a bridge or at least will have enough soap and water to not stink like the "Western" propaganda system.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 4th September 2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 4th September 2022, 01:31 PM   #115
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Oh, you know how aircraft are, they breed like rabbits.
A current example:

Slovakia's air force had, as of February 19th, 2022 per Wikipedia(en) entry, 23 aircraft, among them 11 ageing MiG-29.

In 2018, contracts were signed to replace the MiG-29 with 14 F-16 (a slightly older design, but newly built).

Just a bit over a week ago, the MiG-29 were retired, while the F-16 won't be delivered before 2024. In the meantime, Slovakia arranged for NATO partners Poland and Czechia to patrol (and, if needed, defend) Slovakian air space.

It can be expected that the retired MiG-29 will make their way to Ukraine.

So Slovakia is essentially gifting, loaning or selling their entire air force to Ukraine

(And Russia, I understand, has already shot down 27 of those 11)
Old 4th September 2022, 01:38 PM   #116
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post

I don't know who "thought" that but as you can see comparing the three examples of the statistics I posted, the claimed "curve is flattening". 131 planes in early April, 237 in early July and as of today 287. Even more extreme with the helicopters, I don't have to put those numbers on as you can read them. It has been over for a long time, hence the negotiations in late March with an offer the green-shirted clown retracted two days later, obviously because some Brandon told him what will happen if he doesn't do so. And since that, hundreds of people are dying every day senselessly, as cannon fodder in a war that can't be won against the Russians and in which Russia has all the time they want to take.
Old 4th September 2022, 02:01 PM   #117
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

...about the Polish planes and they "debunked" that Poland sent planes to Ramstein so that the Yankistanis could send them to the Ukraine. That claim they say is false. That was in March. But they didn't "debunk" that Poland sent planes to the Ukraine, and as you agree all kinds of wonderful weapons were sent there, ...

Nothing. They will be replaced by nothing. The "Western" ran financial system is at its absolute end...
CE, can you provide us some detail:
How many Soviet-era combat planes did Poland send to Ukraine yet?
How many Soviet-era combat planes did Slovakia send to Ukraine yet?
How many Soviet-era combat planes did Bulgaria send to Ukraine yet?
Or a bulk number for how many Soviet-era combat planes did all of NATO send to Ukraine yet?

Is that number different from zero?

It is my understanding that Poland offered the US all their MiG29, if the US could give them something of equal or better value instead, such as F-16 (Poland already had 48 F-16). But as the US did not have 23 F-16s lying around to give to Poland on short notice, the Polish government decided to order Korean FA-50 instead, as those can be delivered as early as next year. CE, are you saying Poland will not be buying 48 KA-50, because Poland won't have the money to pay for them, or Korea not the economy to produce them? Anyway, the KA-50 will replace the MiG-29. They are not "nothing", contrary to CE's fantasy tale.
It is further my understanding that Poland already had an order in the books with the US for the purchase of 32 F-35, deliveries to start in 2024. CE, are you saying Poland will cancel that order?
Old 4th September 2022, 03:21 PM   #118
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
More progress in Kherson Oblast - Vysokopillia is apparently officially liberated, now, which means that the battlefront is likely significantly further south now and on significantly less defensible for the Russians territory.

Also, Ukraine supposedly crossed the river in the northern part of the eastern front and reclaimed a couple settlements, meaning that Russia no longer controls that entire side of the river. Ozerne and Yampil, in this case. I wouldn't expect Ukraine to hold them if Russia makes a serious counterattack, but... that also sorta begs the question of how much force Russia can actually bring to bear there, at this point? Also, what the cost would be.
But the counteroffensive failed. How can Ukraine be capturing anything if they all died?

Are you sure about that? I found some "factcheckers" before I posted about the Polish planes and they "debunked" that Poland sent planes to Ramstein so that the Yankistanis could send them to the Ukraine. That claim they say is false. That was in March. But they didn't "debunk" that Poland sent planes to the Ukraine, and as you agree all kinds of wonderful weapons were sent there, including the magnificent German "Panzerhaubitze2000" (I love that name) which apparently broke without any Russian involvement because "the Ukrainians" fired rounds like there was no tomorrow, and it turned out there was indeed no tomorrow.
There was Russian involvement, they were the targets.

Quote:
Nothing. They will be replaced by nothing. The "Western" ran financial system is at its absolute end, broken like the Panzerhaubitze2000, and in the forming new multipolar world, there will be no need for it.
Why won't there be a need for it in the new multipolar world?
Old 4th September 2022, 03:22 PM   #119
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

My point is that Russia isn't isolated.
Congratulations, Botswana won’t refuse to sell semiconductors to Russia.

Botswana doesn’t HAVE semiconductors to sell to Russia, but it’s a great comfort knowing they would.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 04:47 PM   #120
Doubt
Philosopher

In case you didn't notice, practically all of Eastern Europe has been sending their Soviet-Era stuff to the Ukraine where Russia is turning it into scrap metal, including planes from Poland and who knows what else. Talking about demilitarization.
Reality has an internal consistency with itself. Lies do not.

The obvious BS in your claim is that these countries are not sending air crew for those planes. For the claim to be true there would be either foreign pilots to go with the aircraft Or Ukraine has a magical new technology that allows them to clone pilots.

If there were foreign pilots the Russians would be screaming about it in their propaganda coverage and opening news broadcasts with it. But they are not.

One could claim that the pilots are the crews of aircraft previously destroyed. But that would make the Ukrainians the most effective at rescuing air crew in the history of flight.

In the end, this is the sort of thing that make the lies you repeat transparent. The only question is what purpose does it serve? You end up defeating the credibility of your own sources by engaging in speculation that tries to make the lies true and just ends up making it look even less credible.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics