IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Old 4th September 2022, 05:27 PM   #121
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
My point is that Russia isn't isolated.
Russia is tragically isolated. In every direction, its access to global markets is mediated by foreign powers, or natural obstacles, or both. Between accidents of geography and abject failures of diplomacy, Russia has persisted for over a century as one of the most isolated nations on the planet.
Old 4th September 2022, 06:07 PM   #122
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

I don't know who "thought" that but as you can see comparing the three examples of the statistics I posted, the claimed "curve is flattening". 131 planes in early April, 237 in early July and as of today 287. Even more extreme with the helicopters, I don't have to put those numbers on as you can read them.
You posting "statistics" is meaningless. I can find no source online that states that Ukraine had 287 or more airplanes at the beginning of the war, er, special military operation.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 06:18 PM   #123
Wildy
Adelaidean

Iirc at one point Russia claimed to have shot down more Ukrainian Bayraktars than the Ukrainians actually have.
Old 4th September 2022, 06:36 PM   #124
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Heck, they said they blew up all the HIMARS before they arrived.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 06:56 PM   #125
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

You can find that "funny". I don't. The actual official numbers are

If true then every one represents a crime committed by Russia. We will cite these numbers when seizing assets and demanding reparations for the damage. Every time Russia makes another claim of destroying property or killing innocents (including Ukrainian soldiers who have done nothing wrong) we will add it to the bill. Criminal charges will follow. Arguing that they inflated the figures or flat-out lied will not be a defense. We already have their confessions.
Old 4th September 2022, 07:25 PM   #126
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at more news...

Apparently, Russia's shelling Udy and Kozacha Lopan up near Kharkiv, among other places. Kozacha Lopan, in particular, is a high priority place right next to the border that Russia's been dug in at, IIRC. For Russia to be shelling there likely means that Ukraine's had at least partial success in driving them out. There's nothing solid to be said based on that, of course, though.

Near Izyum, it looks like Russia is continuing to be driven back.

On the Donbas front, apparently, Ukraine's finally rotating out relatively poorly armed and trained territory defense forces with trained forces armed with NATO weapons. Tactical offensives seem to already be happening. Also, multiple armor columns are supposedly on their way to the front lines, which may well hail another counteroffensive push.

Near Zaporizhzha, looks like Ukraine's pushing forward towards important rail junctions. Liberating them would severely impede the already problematic Russian logistics.

Near Kherson, more territory has been reclaimed on the northern end and in the cut through the middle. In the middle, of particular note is that Russia apparently put a pontoon bridge at Blahodativka to try to flank the Ukrainian forces and Ukraine pretty much just went... "Nice bridge, we'll take it!" So, now Ukraine has another crossing under their control in that area.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th September 2022 at 07:32 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 08:19 PM   #127
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Near Kherson, more territory has been reclaimed on the northern end and in the cut through the middle. In the middle, of particular note is that Russia apparently put a pontoon bridge at Blahodativka to try to flank the Ukrainian forces and Ukraine pretty much just went... "Nice bridge, we'll take it!" So, now Ukraine has another crossing under their control in that area.

Yes, but Russia has destroyed 1,216 other Ukrainian bridges near Kherson, as well as 389 tunnels, 420 aqueducts, 252 carnival rides, 9,323 military-grade parking meters, and 1,761 Karaoke machines.
Old 4th September 2022, 10:10 PM   #128
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Are you sure about that? I found some "factcheckers" before I posted about the Polish planes and they "debunked" that Poland sent planes to Ramstein so that the Yankistanis could send them to the Ukraine. That claim they say is false. That was in March. But they didn't "debunk" that Poland sent planes to the Ukraine,
Yes, I am positive. Poland sent all kinds of stuff, but no planes.
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/0...-military.html

If you have evidence to the contrary, I am all ears.

and as you agree all kinds of wonderful weapons were sent there, including the magnificent German "Panzerhaubitze2000" (I love that name) which apparently broke without any Russian involvement because "the Ukrainians" fired rounds like there was no tomorrow, and it turned out there was indeed no tomorrow.
The Ukrainians seem to be very happy with PzH2000's performance. They ordered 100 more of these systems. *shrug*

Nothing. They will be replaced by nothing.
They are being replaced already.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 10:36 PM   #129
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I was in iso when this dropped, but here is the latest in this series of excellent visual overviews of the war. Covers the month of July.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 4th September 2022, 11:49 PM   #130
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Perun's videos are getting longer and longer - if only they weren't so interesting and informative.

Here's his summary of the first 6 months of the war, it's nearly an hour and a half long

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 01:18 AM   #131
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
You posting "statistics" is meaningless. I can find no source online that states that Ukraine had 287 or more airplanes at the beginning of the war, er, special military operation.
There is a vaguely suggested, entirely unsubstantiated, meek claim that Ukraine received many (hundreds? dozens? one or two? thousands? Better not commit to numbers lest a skeptic ask follow-up questions!) of MiGs from central European NATO members since the beginng of the war, and Russia shot those down, too.
Old 5th September 2022, 01:19 AM   #132
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...-22/index.html

The offensive in the south of Ukraine that CE said wouldn't happen and then said would fail, took two towns near Kherson and inflicted casualties in the city itself.
Old 5th September 2022, 01:24 AM   #133
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Perun's videos are getting longer and longer - if only they weren't so interesting and informative.

Here's his summary of the first 6 months of the war, it's nearly an hour and a half long

I AGREE
I fell asleep halfway through, having learned nothing that I wasn't at least vaguely aware of before.
(Got to admit though I started a quarter to midnight, so I was naturally tired by 0030 anyway)
Old 5th September 2022, 01:27 AM   #134
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The videos I've been posting are only 20-25 minutes long - perfect for those of us with short attention spans. And they clearly visualise how little the front has moved in the last few months.
Old 5th September 2022, 02:57 AM   #135
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
The Ukrainians seem to be very happy with PzH2000's performance. They ordered 100 more of these systems. *shrug*

They are being replaced already.
That will never happen because Rheinmetall will collapse when the Western Financial System collapses because of the sanctions that are affecting the economic hyperpower of Russia will cause all the money to end up there instead of in the West.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...-22/index.html

The offensive in the south of Ukraine that CE said wouldn't happen and then said would fail, took two towns near Kherson and inflicted casualties in the city itself.
Of course it didn't happen and failed. What you're seeing is the Pre$$titute$ lying to you, what actually happened was Russia voluntarily withdrew from those places as a concession for the future peace talks where Russia gets pretty much everything it wants.
Old 5th September 2022, 03:06 AM   #136
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Pre$$titute$

There's the dollar inflation for everybody to witness.
Old 5th September 2022, 03:18 AM   #137
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

₽ress.
Old 5th September 2022, 04:08 AM   #138
Abooga
Muse

Hi CE, I think you really should travel to Russia someday, witness what a nasty corrupt place it really is. Sometimes it´s good to see things for yourself, in order to assess whether the information you get through other channels is an accurate description of reality or not...

Last edited by Abooga; 5th September 2022 at 04:09 AM.
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 05:20 AM   #139
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
Hi CE, I think you really should travel to Russia someday, witness what a nasty corrupt place it really is. Sometimes it´s good to see things for yourself, in order to assess whether the information you get through other channels is an accurate description of reality or not...

Well, I guess the most corrupt and nasty place I have been to is Berlin, closely followed by London. But as you and a_unique_person are lining up to finance me a trip to St. Petersburg, maybe I should start a fund raiser to see if it is worse there, which I doubt. I have modest living style, so it should be no problem. And I'd do close reporting for you of course...
Old 5th September 2022, 05:30 AM   #140
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

I disagree and think I know way better than you. If you think the Russian propaganda is worse than the Ukrainian, you haven't been paying attention or are a bad analyst.
I think the situation on the ground tells us who has the most believable propaganda. The fact is that we are six months into this five day special military operation and the Russians have made almost no progress in the last three months.

As Perun put it (link to video posted above by somebody else), in August, Russia took 0.08% of Ukrainian territory. Effectively, the war is static now. So whose propaganda better reflects the actual situation? I'd say it's Ukraine's.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 07:14 AM   #141
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree and think I know way better than you. If you think the Russian propaganda is worse than the Ukrainian, you haven't been paying attention or are a bad analyst. The reason why you tend to believe them is clearly that the "Western" media parrots their laughable nonsense 1:1 while demonizing Russia.

Do you know Arestovic, one of the actor's sidekicks and propaganda honchos? You should spend a bit of time paying attention to what he puts out. The good thing about him is that he's often very honest about his contempt of his fellow Ukrainians and how he makes up propaganda to fool them and his "Western" backers. Lately he said he sold his soul long ago and likes to be subversive. I blame it on the white powder. Great guy. I can't tell you where to find his stuff in English translation, I get it with German subtitles over the telegram channels I observe.
Or you just like the idea of genocide.
Old 5th September 2022, 08:55 AM   #142
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It's all news from the Upside Down Topsy Turvy Universe, where up is down (obviously), black is white, right is wrong, wet is dry, and all factual numbers are randomly drawn from a little black (white) bag. Isn't it all clearly opaque now?
Old 5th September 2022, 09:08 AM   #143
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There's the dollar inflation for everybody to witness.
Our inflation rate is a staggering 8.5%. That sucks. It's terrible.

Russia's inflation rate is about 15%.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 09:19 AM   #144
sackett
Philosopher

Now sing of Boris Goodenough!

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It's all news from the Upside Down Topsy Turvy Universe, where up is down (obviously), black is white, right is wrong, wet is dry, and all factual numbers are randomly drawn from a little black (white) bag. Isn't it all clearly opaque now?
On the contrary! Isn't it obvious by now? The Russians have won, achieved all their goals, dictated peace in Kyiv, and gone home. The western border of Elvendom, I mean Slavdom, is now a shining path at the edge of the Polish incursion. (Dirty damn monngrel pollačkis! They're next & they know it!)

Soon the world will turn on its true axis!

Oorah.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 09:23 AM   #145
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

As for China watching, I'm sure they are, but my guess is that they'll take away from this that Russia's army is a bad joke, which will be shattered regardless of the outcome of this conflict.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started leaning on Mongolia and India, both of which counted on Russia as a counter to China.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 10:24 AM   #146
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
On the contrary! Isn't it obvious by now? The Russians have won, achieved all their goals, dictated peace in Kyiv, and gone home. The western border of Elvendom, I mean Slavdom, is now a shining path at the edge of the Polish incursion. (Dirty damn monngrel pollačkis! They're next & they know it!)

Soon the world will turn on its true axis!

Oorah.
I see your Boris Godunov and raise you two false Demetris.

Last edited by Doubt; 5th September 2022 at 10:31 AM.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 11:33 AM   #147
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Well, I guess the most corrupt and nasty place I have been to is Berlin, closely followed by London. But as you and a_unique_person are lining up to finance me a trip to St. Petersburg, maybe I should start a fund raiser to see if it is worse there, which I doubt. I have modest living style, so it should be no problem. And I'd do close reporting for you of course...
If you're the adventurous type you should take a trip to Bucha and explain to them that they've been lied to all this time!
Old 5th September 2022, 03:13 PM   #148
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
If you're the adventurous type you should take a trip to Bucha and explain to them that they've been lied to all this time!

It's called "Butcher" for a reason and the people there have never heard about the lies you have been told. There are some "funny" reports from the ground. One of the most obvious hoaxes ever. Even that the Russians attack the nuclear power plant they control since several months is more believable than that story. It is Skripal territory.
Old 5th September 2022, 03:53 PM   #149
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...f86d318660c826

The Ukrainian offensive you said wouldn't happen and that you now admit did happen but is unsuccessful, retook a town in Kherson over the weekend. The unsuccessful offensive also took out a bridge and ferry, cutting off Russians from retreating. The Russian appointed governor has announced that the "referendum" on joining Russia has been postponed due to the unsuccessful Ukrainian offensive.

Last edited by Craig4; 5th September 2022 at 03:59 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 03:54 PM   #150
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's called "Butcher" for a reason and the people there have never heard about the lies you have been told. There are some "funny" reports from the ground. One of the most obvious hoaxes ever. Even that the Russians attack the nuclear power plant they control since several months is more believable than that story. It is Skripal territory.
You even lie about genocide. Have you ever had integrity?
Old 5th September 2022, 03:57 PM   #151
Wildy
Adelaidean

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...f86d318660c826

The Ukrainian offensive you said wouldn't happen and that you now admit did happen but is unsuccessful, retook a town in Kherson over the weekend. The unsuccessful offensive also took at a bridge and ferry cutting off Russian from retreating. The Russian appointed governor has announced that the "referendum" on joining Russia has been postponed due to the unsuccessful Ukrainian offensive.
Just imagine what we'll see when Kherson is liberated. No doubt about how it was a masterful tactics that only helps Russia in some way.

Last edited by Wildy; 5th September 2022 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Phone decided to act up and post early
Wildy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 04:14 PM   #152
Aridas

You even lie about genocide. Have you ever had integrity?
Stage 10 of genocide is denial for a reason. CE's hardly unique.
Old 5th September 2022, 04:19 PM   #153
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...37b6b3871474f5

The unsuccessful offensive also resulted in the destruction of an FSB base in Kherson. Nope, no Ukrainian military successes happening here. No sireeee. Just your normal accidental explosive detonations on ferries, bridges and FSB offices.
Old 5th September 2022, 04:34 PM   #154
Aridas

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...37b6b3871474f5

The unsuccessful offensive also resulted in the destruction of an FSB base in Kherson. Nope, no Ukrainian military successes happening here. No sireeee. Just your normal accidental explosive detonations on ferries, bridges and FSB offices.
The weather was a bit hot, apparently, and you know how that makes Russian ammunition randomly explode. Nothing to see there, just Russians messing up.
Old 5th September 2022, 08:00 PM   #155
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Ukraine now has the whole advanced technology package for the M777. Computer aided targeting and guided shells.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 09:06 PM   #156
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Ukraine now has the whole advanced technology package for the M777. Computer aided targeting and guided shells.
Oh, now the party can REALLY get started!
Old 5th September 2022, 09:14 PM   #157
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Yeah, but the Russians already blew those up. Ukraine needs 78 new M777 packages just to get to zero.
Old 5th September 2022, 09:58 PM   #158
Aridas

Supposedly, Russia's now buying huge numbers of artillery shells and rockets from North Korea. Guess those vaunted Soviet stockpiles are running out. May they all be dedicated as offerings to Saint HIMARS.

Last edited by Aridas; 5th September 2022 at 09:59 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 10:48 PM   #159
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

You mean utterly implausible Russian lies?

There was commercial satellite imagery that showed some of the locations of some of the massacres in Bucha before the Russians left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60981238

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 11:11 PM   #160
Abooga
Muse

I know Berlin and London, even lived there for a while, it´s not comparable. In Russia most public facing officials and workers lack any type of courtesy, everyone seems depressed and nasty. You need bribes to even get medical attention. Water that comes out of faucets is undrinkable in many cities. Pollution. Children left to die of neglect in orphanages, etc, etc. Not comparable at all. I´m not going to fund you a trip there. I already funded myself for a trip to the US this summer, which is much less corrupt and ****** and makes for a nice place for a holiday. Most people are kind and nice to you there. Travelling really makes one get a feeling of what places really are like, to compare with what you may be reading online, which could be propaganda and making you believe a skewed version of reality.

So yes, Europe and the US are corrupt too, but that doesn´t mean Russia´s much worse corruption has to be dismissed.
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics