IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Old 6th September 2022, 05:52 AM   #201
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Note the quote marks around "rules" to imply that the current government either does not really rule or does so illegitimately.

Exactly, it came to power in a "Western"-backed putsch eight years ago and has become only more ridiculous over the time, including in terrorizing Ukrainians who didn't go along with the putsch. All controlled by the CIA and MI6.

Note also the use of the Ukraine rather than just Ukraine, so as to refer only to a geographical area and thus avoid mention of Ukraine's status as a sovereign nation.

Just LOL. Pretty desperate, aren't we?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th September 2022 at 05:54 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 05:57 AM   #202
Reformed Offlian
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Exactly, it came to power in a "Western"-backed putsch eight years ago and has become only more ridiculous over the time, including in terrorizing Ukrainians who didn't go along with the putsch. All controlled by the CIA and MI6.

Just LOL. Pretty desperate, aren't we?
Zelensky was elected democratically in 2019. There was no "putsch". I could almost see one thinking that about Porochenko (I assume you're thinking of Maidan), but not Zelensky.

Last edited by Reformed Offlian; 6th September 2022 at 05:58 AM.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 06:00 AM   #203
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It's like the detached ravings of a fever induced dream.
Old 6th September 2022, 06:09 AM   #204
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I won't speak for MI6, but our CIA isn't nearly that competent. Maybe they once were, but definitely not now.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 06:09 AM   #205
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
Zelensky was elected democratically in 2019. There was no "putsch". I could almost see one thinking that about Porochenko (I assume you're thinking of Maidan), but not Zelensky.

it is a situation that developed since the putsch in 2014. The absolute corruption, the brutality of the regime against the people in Donbass, the total censorship of opposition media, the political murders, the history of the green-shirted clown in Kiev and who brought him to power, all that didn't happen because CNN and the BBC didn't tell you about it. "The war" started on February 24, 2022. No history, no context. I know.
Old 6th September 2022, 06:14 AM   #206
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I won't speak for MI6, but our CIA isn't nearly that competent. Maybe they once were, but definitely not now.

They don't have to be competent as they are abusing a much weaker player. And it's not only the CIA which totally controls the SBU, it is all in the open. Victoria "**** the EU" Nuland was there on the Maidan with cookies, they selected the putsch president and the putsch prime minister. All leaked, all know. And now she sits in the State Department again. While her relatives run the "Institute for the Study of War" some really gullible people parrot here. Read my posts from 2014.
Old 6th September 2022, 06:23 AM   #207
Drewbot
Philosopher

If Russia is going to NKorea for help, then they are really in bad shape.
Worse shape than I thought.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 06:23 AM   #208
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The putsch president they chose btw was not Poroshenko, but this guy with the nickname "the bloody pastor":

Old 6th September 2022, 07:04 AM   #209
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Still butthurt about Putin’s puppet being bounced I see.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 07:10 AM   #210
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
If that happens, it will be a milestone - but not yet a decisive one, just like the flight of the losing Orcs from Kyiv and the North didn't do much to reverse the occupation of Donbas, Crimea and the South.

Winning back the West bank of the Dnipr is the easy part, helped by the river being such a formidable and easily disrupted bottleneck for Ruscist resupplies. Ukrain will face the reverse problem if and when they try to win back territory on the East bank. That will require a whole now offensive, probably coming down from the North.
I'd say that the Ukrainians will most likely halt at the Dnipro for a while since it's the most defensible position while use the additional range gained by that control to strike at Russian supply lines.

It's still going on, meaning poor people dragged from the streets of Western Ukraine are still sent to the meat grinder and die in huge numbers.
Huh, I thought the counter-offensive was a failure? I seem to remember you posting a thing that said that. Oh wait, it's right here:

Another great piece by b: The Ukrainian 'Counteroffensive' Was Destined To Fail - Today It Did So

Conclusion:

Originally Posted by b
[...] Heads in Kiev should and will likely roll over this. But that is not enough. Those in London who came up with this lunatic idea should be removed from their positions.

Meanwhile U.S. President Joe Biden has asked for $13.7 billion in additional money for Ukraine.

He wants to fight Russia down to the very last Ukrainian. A fight Russia does not want but is assured to win.

Can Biden be held to account for this?
Which is of course a rhetorical question. Almost mean.
There's also this post by you in the previous part where the Russian MoD was talking as if it already failed.

So I'm a little confused, how can it still be going when you've posted multiple times saying that it's already failed?
Old 6th September 2022, 07:14 AM   #211
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly, it came to power in a "Western"-backed putsch eight years ago ..
I could have sworn that there were actual elections in Ukraine since then, which actually changed the President and the composition of parliament.
While in the meantime, the Führer in Moscow continued to destroy all opposition and had his underling yes-sayers say yes here and there.

You may thus safely put quote marks around "rule" and "president" etc when refering to "Russia" (Putistan)
Old 6th September 2022, 07:17 AM   #212
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

it is a situation that developed since the putsch in 2014. The absolute corruption, the brutality of the regime against the people in Donbass, the total censorship of opposition media, the political murders, the history of the green-shirted clown in Kiev and who brought him to power, all that didn't happen because CNN and the BBC didn't tell you about it. "The war" started on February 24, 2022. No history, no context. I know.
Textbook projection

What cynical lies!
Old 6th September 2022, 07:28 AM   #213
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

They don't have to be competent as they are abusing a much weaker player.
Are you now claiming the FSB is a much weaker player?

Quote:
And it's not only the CIA which totally controls the SBU, it is all in the open.
If you can do it out in the open, you don't need the CIA.

Quote:
Read my posts from 2014.
No thanks. Why would your posts from 2014 be more accurate than your posts from earlier this year? Your track record doesn't inspire confidence.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 08:01 AM   #214
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Huh, I thought the counter-offensive was a failure? I seem to remember you posting a thing that said that.

Do you understand that you just insisted that sending poor people dragged from the streets of Western Ukraine to the meat grinder to die in huge numbers is not a failure?
Old 6th September 2022, 08:04 AM   #215
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Why would your posts from 2014 be more accurate than your posts from earlier this year? Your track record doesn't inspire confidence.

My posts from back then have been indeed as accurate as my posts now, and they couldn't be more accurate and consistent. Here is the thread that documents it all:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=269584
Old 6th September 2022, 08:12 AM   #216
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Do you understand that you just insisted that sending poor people dragged from the streets of Western Ukraine to the meat grinder to die in huge numbers is not a failure?
Did you perhaps mean Eastern Ukraine??

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-sol...ne-war-1739773

The Institute for the Study of War (ISW), a U.S. think tank, noted that Russian forces formed the 127th Regiment of forcibly mobilized personnel in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblast in early April, alongside four other DNR regiments: the 103rd, 109th, 113th, and 125th.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 08:21 AM   #217
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
My posts from back then have been indeed as accurate as my posts now, and they couldn't be more accurate and consistent. Here is the thread that documents it all:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=269584
Really? So when you said this, you think this was accurate?

Quote:
btw, there was one of those "who is the greatest threat to peace in the world" surveys lately. USA won of course, with I think 17% average. The country results are available. In Ukraine, Yankistan wins with a whopping 33% with Russia without chance on place 6 (5%). And even the Czechs don't share Klimax' comic-like fear and let reason prevail with Russia (8%) behind China (10%) and Yankistan "winning" on par with North Korea (14%).
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...26#post9733026

So, since 2014, the US has withdrawn from Afghanistan, and massively reduced its presence in Iraq. (It would have withdrawn completely, but the Iraqis begged them to stay). I am not aware of America having invaded any countries since.
Now, about Russia, that supposed non-threat to world peace.....

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 08:27 AM   #218
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Did you perhaps mean Eastern Ukraine??

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-sol...ne-war-1739773

The Institute for the Study of War (ISW), a U.S. think tank, noted that Russian forces formed the 127th Regiment of forcibly mobilized personnel in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblast in early April, alongside four other DNR regiments: the 103rd, 109th, 113th, and 125th.

No, I meant Western Ukraine. They are trying to drag young men from the streets in remaining Eastern Ukraine as well, but they have to deal with their women there. Hilarious videos.

That you post some Newsweek spam about what the "Institute for the Study of War" claims shows that you generally aren't paying attention. I mentioned it only a few posts above. Go study who Victoria Nuland is, into which Family she married, and who runs the "ISW". Good luck.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th September 2022 at 08:28 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 08:28 AM   #219
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

My posts from back then have been indeed as accurate as my posts now
Then there's no point in looking at them.
Old 6th September 2022, 08:37 AM   #220
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Then there's no point in looking at them.

Substandard here, Ziggurat.
Old 6th September 2022, 08:52 AM   #221
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I'd say that the Ukrainians will most likely halt at the Dnipro for a while since it's the most defensible position while use the additional range gained by that control to strike at Russian supply lines.
Quite possibly. Still, if their advances around the Zaphorizhzhia front manage to cut off rail supply lines, any delay there might be short. It might be more sensible, though, to leave a fraction of the forces there as a defense once that side of the river is secured and simply send much of those forces to accelerate the gains on the other fronts.
Old 6th September 2022, 09:18 AM   #222
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Note the quote marks around "rules" to imply that the current government either does not really rule or does so illegitimately. Note also the use of the Ukraine rather than just Ukraine, so as to refer only to a geographical area and thus avoid mention of Ukraine's status as a sovereign nation.
https://euvsdisinfo.eu/key-narrative...,and%20so%20on.

Quote:
Since then, there have been many more examples of this narrative proliferating in pro-Kremlin outlets: for example, Ukraine is ruled by foreigners and the Baltic states are not really countries. Pro-Kremlin disinformation outlets also claim that with their accession to NATO, Finland and Sweden are now about to lose their sovereignty and that they are acting under foreign (US, NATO) pressure. Further examples for this narrative abound: the EU is directed by Washington, Japan is a vassal state, Germany is an occupied territory, decisions in Ukraine aren’t made by its president but by the US, and so on.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 10:43 AM   #223
Jimbo07
Illuminator

So... Russia's looking to buy North Korean ammo, eh?

You know you're a winner when...

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 10:47 AM   #224
sackett
Philosopher

If those N. Korean munitions are sent by rail, will they move on Closely Watched Trains? Gosh, you'd hope so, given the lengthening nights in Siberia. And the lonely stretches of taiga and forest that the routes run through. And the vulnerability of the tracks and ties and switches and culverts and power lines.

Just thinking about it makes me go CIAish all over.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 10:59 AM   #225
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post

Ammunition from the DPRK,

Drones from Iran (I have seen some Russian milbloggers suggesting that could help turn the course of the Southern battlefield)

Mercenaries from Syria (and indeed an S-300 returning from there)

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 11:20 AM   #226
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post

I wonder if the ammo might have been made in Russia originally and sold to the Norks. If so, it's probably not any worse than their regular stuff. If not Russian, could also be Chinese made.
Old 6th September 2022, 11:39 AM   #227
crescent
Philosopher

Quite a lot of video on twitter today.

Dead Russian soldiers in the northern part of Kherson oblast. Captured Russian soldiers in the same area. Ukrainian troops in recently liberated towns in Kherson and Kharkiv oblasts - in some cases walking past the dead bodies of Russian soldiers.

Most encouragingly, lots of copy/paste from Parlor of Russian accounts claiming that the Russian troops in the Kharkiv oblast have totally not panicked.

NSFW video and description:
There's one floating around that's split into three parts.
1: Russian soldiers standing around in a forested/brushy area, talking. The one with the camera does most of the talking.
2: Same area, but now the trees and brush are shredded and most of the soldiers are dead. Narrator is lamenting their death.
3: Ukrainian forces apparently follow through with a ground attack. One of the Russian fighters gets shot and seems to be dying, the narrator is telling him to move but the wounded man just moans. The narrator is returning fire and the video ends.

It's with some sort of wearable camera, like a Gopro or something.

https://twitter.com/OnkelKelle/statu...16878656884737
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 11:47 AM   #228
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Dead Russian soldiers in the northern part of Kherson oblast. Captured Russian soldiers in the same area. Ukrainian troops in recently liberated towns in Kherson and Kharkiv oblasts - in some cases walking past the dead bodies of Russian soldiers.

Most encouragingly, lots of copy/paste from Parlor of Russian accounts claiming that the Russian troops in the Kharkiv oblast have totally not panicked.

1: Russian soldiers standing around in a forested/brushy area, talking. The one with the camera does most of the talking.
2: Same area, but now the trees and brush are shredded and most of the soldiers are dead. Narrator is lamenting their death.
3: Ukrainian forces apparently follow through with a ground attack. One of the Russian fighters gets shot and seems to be dying, the narrator is telling him to move but the wounded man just moans. The narrator is returning fire and the video ends.

Looks like a counteroffensive has been officially announced in Kharkiv, then. The concentration of Russians at Izyum likely faces being cut off from resupply. That's a significant second major concentration of Russians in serious peril.

Last edited by Aridas; 6th September 2022 at 11:49 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 12:45 PM   #229
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Ammunition from the DPRK,

Drones from Iran (I have seen some Russian milbloggers suggesting that could help turn the course of the Southern battlefield)

Mercenaries from Syria (and indeed an S-300 returning from there)
And I have seen it pointed out that China is conspicuously absent from this.

Old 6th September 2022, 01:11 PM   #230
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

China is too busy cozening its own shenanigans, probably. And their whole trajectory has been the other direction: Cozy up to Russia long enough to acquire baseline tech on a "frenemies" basis, then develop indigenous versions and upgrades and kick their partner to the curb. As Russia has fallen behind, China has started looking elsewhere even for the baseline tech. Giving back to Russia was never really in their interest, and is probably never going to be part of their long-term plan.

A hollow shell of a regime at their back in Central Asia is probably ideal for them, while they square off to contest the South China Sea and the nations on its shores.
Old 6th September 2022, 01:40 PM   #231
Reformed Offlian
Graduate Poster

it is a situation that developed since the putsch in 2014.
No, it's a situation that developed since the democratic election of 2019, the result of which you didn't like. An election, moreover, that Poroshenko ran in and lost.

You might as well say it was a "situation that developed since the Khmelnitsky uprising,", for all the relevance and cogency your observations have.

Last edited by Reformed Offlian; 6th September 2022 at 01:43 PM.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 01:52 PM   #232
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
China is too busy cozening its own shenanigans, probably. And their whole trajectory has been the other direction: Cozy up to Russia long enough to acquire baseline tech on a "frenemies" basis, then develop indigenous versions and upgrades and kick their partner to the curb. As Russia has fallen behind, China has started looking elsewhere even for the baseline tech. Giving back to Russia was never really in their interest, and is probably never going to be part of their long-term plan.

A hollow shell of a regime at their back in Central Asia is probably ideal for them, while they square off to contest the South China Sea and the nations on its shores.

I would have thought that China could have found it useful to weaken NATO?ANZUS etc by supporting Russia in Ukraine.

Old 6th September 2022, 02:05 PM   #233
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
If that happens, it will be a milestone - but not yet a decisive one, just like the flight of the losing Orcs from Kyiv and the North didn't do much to reverse the occupation of Donbas, Crimea and the South.

Winning back the West bank of the Dnipr is the easy part, helped by the river being such a formidable and easily disrupted bottleneck for Ruscist resupplies. Ukrain will face the reverse problem if and when they try to win back territory on the East bank. That will require a whole now offensive, probably coming down from the North.
I think that's entirely rational. We saw the irrational panic the attack on the air base in occupied Crimea caused. I don't expect Russians and their stooges in Crimea to be anything approaching rational if Kherson falls and there is a mass capture of Orcs.
Old 6th September 2022, 02:08 PM   #234
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I would have thought that China could have found it useful to weaken NATO?ANZUS etc by supporting Russia in Ukraine.
I can see it going either way. I guess China decided that the current trade-offs break against helping Russia.

Probably because NATO, ANZUS, etc. aren't much weakened by supporting a proxy war in Ukraine. The main strength of the USN and the USAF isn't even been tested here, let alone taxed or consumed.
Old 6th September 2022, 02:18 PM   #235
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I can see it going either way. I guess China decided that the current trade-offs break against helping Russia.

Probably because NATO, ANZUS, etc. aren't much weakened by supporting a proxy war in Ukraine. The main strength of the USN and the USAF isn't even been tested here, let alone taxed or consumed.
True

Old 6th September 2022, 02:19 PM   #236
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Secondary sanctions would be a disaster for China, so they are treading very carefully.
Old 6th September 2022, 03:05 PM   #237
Wildy
Adelaidean

That's a very fluid definition of "failure" you've got there. Originally the whole counteroffensive failed but now it's a failure because people died in war. I guess you have to be flexible in order to maintain the narrative you want to push.

Interesting that you're now referring to the Ukrainian soldiers as untrained conscripts when earlier you said that they were soldiers rotated out of the Donbass.

My posts from back then have been indeed as accurate as my posts now, and they couldn't be more accurate and consistent
I agree. Your posts now are just as inaccurate and inconsistent as they were back then so well done on maintaining your accuracy and consistency.
Old 6th September 2022, 03:55 PM   #238
Reformed Offlian
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

It's starting to appear that the counteroffensive CE told us would not happen is having the success CE told us it would not have in pushing back the Russian forces CE told us would not invade.
Old 6th September 2022, 04:38 PM   #239
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
It's starting to appear that the counteroffensive CE told us would not happen is having the success CE told us it would not have in pushing back the Russian forces CE told us would not invade.
Good observation. Hey CE! Which side won the referendum in Kherson?
Old 6th September 2022, 05:01 PM   #240
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
I currently live in Berlin, have now for over 3 years, and interact with a wide variety of people across the board. If CE thinks Berlin is more corrupt than any city in Russia, or London, he's clearly delusional.

Hell, just one DAY in Moscow and you are exposed to a year's worth of Berlin-level corruption.
CE is a "red sock", someone who grew up in East Germany and longs for the good old days to return, so ,yeah, he consider Berlin and Germany in general to be corrupt and evil for rejectiong the glorious way shown by the GDR....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics