IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags DeSantis , electioneering , florida , immigration

Old 18th September 2022, 01:01 PM   #201
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ain't that the truth.
But that's all it's done. Outside the rightie tighties' squirrel cage, it's done a lot to open decent people's eyes to the cynicism and stupid cruelty of the On Beyond Trumpism crowd.

Squirrel cage. I thought about saying sty, slum, mob stronghold, Reich, etc. Suggestions are welcome.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 01:14 PM   #202
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
But that's all it's done. Outside the rightie tighties' squirrel cage, it's done a lot to open decent people's eyes to the cynicism and stupid cruelty of the On Beyond Trumpism crowd.

Squirrel cage. I thought about saying sty, slum, mob stronghold, Reich, etc. Suggestions are welcome.
Den of Delusion?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 01:31 PM   #203
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
This sentiment came and went pretty quick in this thread because it just couldn't stand up to the facts of what actually happened. However, I keep seeing it pop up on the other social media sources out there. Is there some justification for this that I'm just not seeing or is it just completely made up propaganda?
The latter. Overall, Liberals recognize the huge contribution that migrants make to the US Economy.

Immigrant workers are prepared to do the jobs that American won't do. They play a critical function in supplying essential labor in the service and agricultural sectors, as well as other parts of the economy. No immigrants = no harvest = no food.

Immigrants are not only workers, they are also consumers. According to an analysis of 2019 American Community Survey (ACS) data by the New American Economy, immigrants (14% of the US population) wield US$1.3 trillion in spending power. In some of the largest state economies the contributions of immigrants are substantial.

CA - immigrants are 27% of the population with a spending power of US$318 billion.

NY - immigrants are 22% of the population with a spending power of US$130 billion.

TX - immigrants are 17% of the population with a spending power of US$120 billion.

FL - immigrants are 21% of the population with a spending power of US$105 billion.

Immigrants are more likely to be of prime working age (between 25 and 54 years old), balancing out the relatively older native-born population. If you are retired in the US, your lifestyle is ultimately dependent to a large degree on the work of immigrants

Immigrants are less likely to be children: only 6% are under 18 years old, compared with 25% of the native-born.

Immigrants with STEM degrees have made up an increasing share of the
innovators responsible for new US patents. Foreign-born innovators are responsible for more than 75% of patents from the top ten patent-producing US universities.

Immigrants are more likely than the native-born to start businesses or pursue other forms of self-employment, encouraging future economic dynamism, innovation and long-term economic growth.

Immigrants help fuel economic activity through their attachment to the labor market, their spending power and their entrepreneurial spirit behind much
of our innovations.

Since the US was founded immigrants have played a vital role in creating a diverse, dynamic and growing US economy.

It must surely be terrifying to be a racist, bigoted, white-privileged conservative rube right now in the US, to know that those "hordes from the south" are smarter, harder working and more enterprising than they are.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 02:01 PM   #204
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Oh, ok. So it is only "effectively" a sanctuary state, but not an official one.

Glad we cleared that up.
Which makes no difference at all to why they should fly immigrants to Martha's Vineyard, instead of to one of the many sizeable cities in which it might be possible for a group of disoriented immigrants actually to find some useful services.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 02:15 PM   #205
ZiprHead
Muse

Every day, Martha’s Vineyard needs to be sent more illegal aliens.-Ted Cruz

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 02:24 PM   #206
sackett
Philosopher

We've been hearing for at least a generation about an immigration crisis. I'm patiently waiting for even the first shoe to drop, let alone the other one.

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 02:33 PM   #207
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Which makes no difference at all to why they should fly immigrants to Martha's Vineyard, instead of to one of the many sizeable cities in which it might be possible for a group of disoriented immigrants actually to find some useful services.

It is a symbolic gesture, bruto.
Old 18th September 2022, 02:37 PM   #208
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seems like good optics so far. The progressive one percenters on the island aren't really doing their faction any favors in all this.

It's almost like any American who actually wants more illegal immigrants only really wants them somewhere else.
I did not expect to find you cheerleading for this, given that you're usually pretty rational on other threads.

I try to put myself into other viewpoints, but I'm hard pressed to understand how this was anything but a cynical "gotcha" move containing zero by way of compassion towards those moved, or if compassion's not your thing, any kind of practicality of the best way to address their particular issues. This seems to be divorced from any rationality, with emotional appeal being the only plus.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 02:39 PM   #209
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe we should recognize that the people who were flown there should not have their lives be props for someone else's "symbolic gesture"?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 02:44 PM   #210
sackett
Philosopher

What does it symbolize?

Old 18th September 2022, 02:45 PM   #211
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

What does it symbolize?
Virtual signalling.
Old 18th September 2022, 02:55 PM   #212
arayder
Master Poster

You said people have the right to immigrate and apply for asylum. But when that lawful application processes is denied by kidnapping them off to another state you call it "a symbolic gesture".

You sell our liberties cheap!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 03:37 PM   #213
sackett
Philosopher

A long wait

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Virtual signalling.
I'd say it's DeShmuckiss indulging in a greasy smirk. But Warp12 is still composing his reply, so let's wait.

Old 18th September 2022, 03:53 PM   #214
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

What does it symbolize?
Fear of brown skin.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 07:12 PM   #215
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's a political stunt for his own personal political gain. Much like Trump's walk through Lafayette Square for a photo op with a Bible he's never opened in front of the parish house of church he's never attended.

"TWO Corinthians". Hell, I'm a atheist and I knew it was Second Corinthians.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 07:14 PM   #216
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Virtual virtue signalling.
Fixed your typo.
Old 18th September 2022, 07:22 PM   #217
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what it REALLY symbolizes...

Perhaps if someone kidnapped DeSantis and shipped him to...let's say...Venezuela, unannounced with no papers or passport, what do you think that might "symbolize"? That he needs a holiday?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 08:03 PM   #218
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It's a political stunt for his own personal political gain. Much like Trump's walk through Lafayette Square for a photo op with a Bible he's never opened, which he held upside-down, in front of the parish house of church he's never attended.

"TWO Corinthians". Hell, I'm a atheist and I knew it was Second Corinthians.
FTFY
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 09:19 PM   #219
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FTFY
Actually, he didn't hold it upside down. From Snopes:

Quote:
Video of the event shows Trump somewhat awkwardly fumbling with the Bible, but photographs from Getty Images and The Associated Press show that Trump was holding this Bible the right way up when he was photographed
He did have a 50-50 chance. He lucked out.
Old 18th September 2022, 11:48 PM   #220
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I stand corrected, but

Old 19th September 2022, 01:32 AM   #221
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I stand corrected, but

Happy Birthday!
Old 19th September 2022, 02:40 AM   #222
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Happy Birthday!
Old 19th September 2022, 02:45 AM   #223
Susheel
Master Poster

He really lucked out...he could have also held it back-side front. That would have cut down the chance by abit.
Old 19th September 2022, 05:13 AM   #224
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Maybe we should recognize that the people who were flown there should not have their lives be props for someone else's "symbolic gesture"?

It's not as if they're real people. They're not white, after all.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 06:34 AM   #225
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I know that. It's a symbol of stupidity and error.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 07:06 AM   #226
sackett
Philosopher

Now Bruto, I already said that Warp is composting his answer, so let's wait.

Composing his answer, sorry.

Old 19th September 2022, 07:58 AM   #227
Warp12
King of Kings

Now Bruto, I already said that Warp is composting his answer, so let's wait.

Composing his answer, sorry.

You are still on about this?

Well, it could be that it symbolizes the duality of man.

Or it could be that it symbolizes that Dem immigration policies suck, and that the GOP won't be ignored on the matter.

You decide. I'll remain neutral on the matter
Old 19th September 2022, 08:02 AM   #228
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Or it could be that it symbolizes that Dem immigration policies suck, and that the GOP won't be ignored on the matter.

It could also symbolize DeSantis's racism.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 08:40 AM   #229
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
It could also symbolize DeSantis's racism.
It could just be DeSantisís indifferent inhumanity towards his fellow man. The poor and underprivileged are mere objects to be used for his own ends.
Old 19th September 2022, 08:49 AM   #230
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It could just be DeSantisís indifferent inhumanity towards his fellow man. The poor and underprivileged are mere objects to be used for his own ends.
It's certainly hard to argue that it symbolizes America's "sucky" immigration laws when the people in question were making the good faith effort to apply for asylum - unless one's position is that we shouldn't allow anyone to apply for asylum at all. I wonder what would have happened if some Norwegians had decided they would rather live in a ****-hole county than Norway and had been flown from Massachusetts to Florida... Forget it.
Old 19th September 2022, 09:02 AM   #231
sackett
Philosopher

What's that smell?

Chicken **** isn't compost, but apparently that's all we're getting.

Old 19th September 2022, 09:24 AM   #232
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Get these people out of Florida? The fifty immigrants flown to Massachusetts at Florida's expense came from Texas.

DeSantis wants to run for president in 2024. This is all campaign 'optics.'
Clearly florida hates refugees, I look forward to seeing the new stance sending cubans back home.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 09:27 AM   #233
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Who isn't one of the communities that will support people seeking refuge, who want to help others? Anyone who doesn't, isn't American.
Please we refused jews fleeing the holocaust, why should we treat them any better? There is nothing american about helping others.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 09:35 AM   #234
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Talk about a race to the moral bottom.
In a race to the moral bottom, the folks who live there have an unfair head start.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 10:57 AM   #235
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You've taken to places the likes of which the world has never seen before.
Old 19th September 2022, 11:08 AM   #236
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis has decided that the road to the 2024 Republican presidential nomination is basically a contest to see who is the biggest *******. He's probably right.
Old 19th September 2022, 11:55 AM   #237
stanfr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
DeSantis has decided that the road to the 2024 Republican presidential nomination is basically a contest to see who is the biggest *******. He's probably right.
Well yeah, being a ******* is good for your poll numbers, it riles up your base. Trump is probably incensed that he has been out--************* -ed
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 11:56 AM   #238
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
So, a replay of 2016 then.
Old 19th September 2022, 11:58 AM   #239
Warp12
King of Kings

So, a replay of 2016 then.

We can only hope that the GOP has similar success. The question is, will DeSantis be theIr man?

Last edited by Warp12; 19th September 2022 at 11:59 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:00 PM   #240
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We can only hope that the GOP has similar success. The question is, will DeSantis be theIr man?
So which big dick are you supporting?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics