IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags DeSantis , electioneering , florida , immigration

Old 19th September 2022, 12:01 PM   #241
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Well, we can tell what kind of person you prefer to be in charge.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:02 PM   #242
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So which big dick are you supporting?

Too early to say. What I can say is, I will not vote for Trump. Even if I have to sit it out. But I don't think there is any chance of him getting the nomination, anyway. Of course I didn't think there was any chance of him winning in 2016, either.
Old 19th September 2022, 12:07 PM   #243
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Well, we can tell what kind of person you prefer to be in charge.
Someone just like them. A racist white supremacist who doesn't believe that *checks notes* women and brown people are actually people.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:13 PM   #244
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Please we refused jews fleeing the holocaust, why should we treat them any better? There is nothing american about helping others.
The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:17 PM   #245
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Too early to say. What I can say is, I will not vote for Trump. Even if I have to sit it out. But I don't think there is any chance of him getting the nomination, anyway. Of course I didn't think there was any chance of him winning in 2016, either.
No, but you've made it plain you're glad he did.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:17 PM   #246
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure you'll have plenty of dicks to choose from, one of whom will mirror your own beliefs. Maybe even one who thinks raped children should be forced to give birth and letting homeless people die for lack of insurance is fine, too.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:23 PM   #247
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/martha...enefits-report

Quote:
Migrants who were last week flown to Martha’s Vineyard were allegedly given a brochure containing lies about the benefits they could expect to receive in Massachusetts, according to a report. Around 50 Venezuelan and Colombian people were flown on two planes from Florida to the popular vacation spot last Wednesday, with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis taking credit for what he trollishly termed the “​​relocation program to transport illegal immigrants to sanctuary destinations.” Amid previous reports that the migrants were misled about where they were going or what they could expect upon arrival, Popular Information on Monday published images of a brochure which was allegedly given to the migrants who agreed to board the flights. The document, which was reportedly sourced by a legal organization representing 30 of the migrants, claims arrivals in Massachusetts can expect “8 months cash assistance,” “assistance with housing,” “food,” “job placement,” and other benefits. The benefits described are in fact only available to specially designated refugees, and not migrants currently in the process of seeking asylum.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:30 PM   #248
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Can't have a split tail win! Especially one whose business associates in a land deal were convicted of a crime. Oh, wait....

(Thanks, smartcooky)
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 12:32 PM   #249
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Clearly, this was just an accident.
Old 19th September 2022, 12:38 PM   #250
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So like all political discourse we've devolved right back to:

"Prove to me why I should care about other people"

vs

"America did bad things in the past, so it's not allowed to do good things now."
Old 19th September 2022, 12:48 PM   #251
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It could just be DeSantis’s indifferent inhumanity towards his fellow man. The poor and underprivileged are mere objects to be used for his own ends.
Homo homini lupus est. It is rarely true, but de Santis is one of the cases where it is.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:03 PM   #252
autumn1971
Illuminator

These dumb analogies are built around a fear-mongering core. I guess this is what they call a Godwin. Glad you cut to the chase and invoked it early.
Well in this analogy not all the “Germans” acted like republicans
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:21 PM   #253
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
And the nation always hated immigrants despite one city putting that on a statue.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:25 PM   #254
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So like all political discourse we've devolved right back to:

"Prove to me why I should care about other people"

vs

"America did bad things in the past, so it's not allowed to do good things now."
I think america should do good things now, but we shouldn't pretend that there is something about american culture that includes doing such things. FDR new about the holocaust and wouldn't permit jews fleeing the germans from seeking asylum in the US in 1943. The extent everyone knew about the holocaust and then acted all surprised and hypocritically said "oh if only we knew".
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:49 PM   #255
Warp12
King of Kings

Practically anything was better than the alternative. Now, I might be able to see myself voting for DeSantis, depending on what the Dems come up with.

Last edited by Warp12; 19th September 2022 at 01:51 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 02:00 PM   #256
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And the nation always hated immigrants despite one city putting that on a statue.
You seem to forget that you are a nation OF immigrants - you're all British, Irish, Polish, German, Dutch, Chinese, Finnish, French and/or Swedish, et al - well at least, those of you who aren't Native American.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 02:13 PM   #257
Venom
Philosopher

One of my coworkers brought it up this morning what a ********. I had to almost convince her to care about live human beings used as playthings in this cynical political game and that anybody would be shocked if a caravan of unfamiliar people were dropped off at your neighborhood.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 03:01 PM   #258
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Massachusetts attorneys who work with immigrants and refugees say the information in the brochure given to the Texas migrants by Florida officials is inaccurate. It pertains to "refugees who have been referred by the United Nations and authorized to live in the United States." The website Popular Information dot com acquired a copy.

The website reports:
Quote:
DeSantis has been adamant that the migrants were not misled. He claims that migrants were provided with a map showing the destination was Martha's Vineyard and describes the flights as "all voluntary." Appearing on Fox News on Sunday Morning, Florida Lt. Governor Jeanette Nunez (R) called allegations that the migrants were misled "categorically false." Link to Popular Information dot com
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 03:16 PM   #259
sackett
Philosopher

The fallacy of the absolute

You seem to forget that you are a nation OF immigrants - you're all British, Irish, Polish, German, Dutch, Chinese, Finnish, French and/or Swedish, et al - well at least, those of you who aren't Native American.
The americaphobe American goes back to the mid-60s, when it was chic to be rabidly hateful about anything and everything USAian. You absolutely weren't cool if you didn't talk that talk.

Walking the walk? Well, making the protest scene was close enough. If you could get teargassed, you were really heavy, man. Doin' a number on the stablishment's head. Grooveh.

Me, I wore bell bottoms and Earth Shoes to my office job at the university. So you see? Outer side, bruth.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 03:21 PM   #260
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It occurs to me to wonder, if it turns out that De Santis is not breaking the law doing what he's doing, doesn't that mean that the governor of another state could simply fly a bunch of immigrants to Florida and drop them there? Maybe on the doorstep of Mar a Lago, or some other one of the many high-zoot neighborhoods that exist in Florida.

Of course, as usual, I presume that no sane or decent governor would do this, because it's stupid and wrong, but as usual the right wing counts on their opposition being foolishly attached to principle, so they know they can get away with it.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 04:00 PM   #261
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Practically anything was better than the alternative. Now, I might be able to see myself voting for DeSantis, depending on what the Dems come up with.
Of course, you see yourself voting for DeSantis: he's the Trump mini-me. You get to vote for "Trump" all the while claiming the high ground of not voting for Trump. Win-win for you.

Name one Democrat you'd vote for over DeSantis. And he (won't include any women for obvious reasons) can't be a Democrat from pre-1960's.
Old 19th September 2022, 04:03 PM   #262
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Well, the statue is herself an immigrant so of course she'd say pro-immigration things!
Old 19th September 2022, 04:03 PM   #263
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It occurs to me to wonder, if it turns out that De Santis is not breaking the law doing what he's doing, doesn't that mean that the governor of another state could simply fly a bunch of immigrants to Florida and drop them there? Maybe on the doorstep of Mar a Lago, or some other one of the many high-zoot neighborhoods that exist in Florida.

Of course, as usual, I presume that no sane or decent governor would do this, because it's stupid and wrong, but as usual the right wing counts on their opposition being foolishly attached to principle, so they know they can get away with it.
Could we just drop huge piles of steaming dog poo on the doorstep of Mar a Lago instead?
Old 19th September 2022, 04:29 PM   #264
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The website Popular Information (it won an award for excellence in journalism in 2020 from the Online News Association) gives more information about DeSantis' 'stunt.'
Quote:
The charter flights appear to be inspired by a Tucker Carlson monologue from July 26, in which the notoriously xenophobic host suggested sending migrants to Martha's Vineyard in "huge numbers." DeSantis reportedly sent a videographer along for the ride, and Fox News obtained "exclusive footage of the migrants’ arrival."

The migrants were used as political pawns in the hopes of provoking a negative reaction from a liberal community. "When people are brought to their front door, they go berserk," DeSantis said. "Their virtue signaling is a fraud." But the people in Martha's Vineyard did not go berserk. Instead, they rallied together to provide shelter, food, clothing, and other necessities for the group. Link to Popular Information report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monkey see Monkey do.jpg (138.8 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 05:02 PM   #265
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
DeSantis’ Migrant Planes Have Financial Ties To GOP And Russian Govt.

Quote:
The aviation company Ron DeSantis hired to fly migrants to Martha’s Vineyard buys equipment from Russia, donates to Florida Republicans and received a PPP loan while Trump was still in office.

Forensic News’ Scott Stedman did a deep dive into the disturbing financials of Vertol Systems Company Inc. (VSC), the Destin, Florida aviation company awarded $615,000 by the Florida Department of Transportation for “relocation program of unauthorized aliens.”

Stedman writes:

Quote:
Archived versions of VSC’s website, which was deleted sometime after the last capture on August 2nd, show that the company claimed that it was “the only civil company currently operating Russian helicopters in the United States.”
Quote:
Stedman notes that shipping records support this claim. Most records indicate VSC has imported parts and equipment from a “little-known Ukrainian company called Avexcom, whose ultimate beneficiary could not be established.” However other records show that VSC has “imported helicopters directly from Russian government-owned corporations.” That includes a 2018 transaction for $48 million, in 2018, with a company that’s a subsidiary of a state-owned and controlled holding company.

That company and its subsidiary were sanctioned in 2022, by the Biden administration, for producing helicopters used by Russia in its war against Ukraine.

Under Donald Trump, however, the U.S government awarded the company a Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan of $255,585 on April 13, 2020.

According to Judd Legum, VSC also donated $10,000 to the Republican Party of Florida, in 2019 and nearly $8,000 directly or to a PAC in support of Rep. Matt Gaetz:
Well, isn't that special!
Old 19th September 2022, 05:16 PM   #266
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"When people are brought to their front door, they go berserk," DeSantis said. "Their virtue signaling is a fraud." But the people in Martha's Vineyard did not go berserk. Instead, they rallied together to provide shelter, food, clothing, and other necessities for the group.

Old 19th September 2022, 05:59 PM   #267
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Proposal: Massachusetts should offer free bus tickets to Tallahassee to homeless people who volunteer (adults only, no children). Don't lie to them, make the risks clear to them, but offer free bus tickets, food and clothing, and offer to pay for 2-3 months housing and expenses for them when they get there, to establish them while they look for jobs.
Old 19th September 2022, 06:35 PM   #268
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Proposal: Massachusetts should offer free bus tickets to Tallahassee to homeless people who volunteer (adults only, no children). Don't lie to them, make the risks clear to them, but offer free bus tickets, food and clothing, and offer to pay for 2-3 months housing and expenses for them when they get there, to establish them while they look for jobs.
Socialistcommielibtard!
Old 19th September 2022, 07:12 PM   #269
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Name one Democrat you (as in Warp12) would vote for over DeSantis. And he (won't include any women for obvious reasons) can't be a Democrat from pre-1960's.
David Wu? Cal Cunningham? Anthony Weiner? John Conyers Jr.?
Old 19th September 2022, 07:59 PM   #270
Warp12
King of Kings

Name one Democrat you'd vote for over DeSantis. And he (won't include any women for obvious reasons) can't be a Democrat from pre-1960's.

Obama 2.0. Whoever that is.

It's not cryptkeeper Biden or token Harris, that's for sure.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:15 AM   #271
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

If you are defining Harris as a token, can you explain why Pence was not a token Christian designed to draw religious people who saw through Trump’s ******** and recognized him as the lying, cheating, self-centered, conspiracy-loving, scientifically-illiterate, attention-whore that he is
Old 20th September 2022, 04:42 AM   #272
Susheel
Master Poster

No you wouldn't.

We have read enough of your posts to know that your sudden "love" for Obama is basically an attempt at diversion from the fact that the people you actually like are having a pretty bad time and like your hero, the orange bloat, you don't like to be linked with "losers."
Old 20th September 2022, 07:02 AM   #273
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Red states already use Greyhound therapy.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:04 AM   #274
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But so many of them are the wrong color of immigrant. Like how Ben Franklin complained that this was no longer a nation of proper white people because all those swarthy germans were immigrating to Pennsylvania.

"That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind."

Ben Franklin.

Hating the next immigrants is one of the most american of traditions that people learn on coming here.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:14 AM   #275
Donal
Illuminator

You just described housing first initiatives which have been really successful in the cities they are tried. Given how rough New England winters can be, they should start that in Massachusetts.

Don't get into these pissing matches. It doesn't matter what the actual outcome is, the GQP and their little Goebelles wannabes in the media will spin it in their favor. And they will get their lies out first, so it doesn't matter what facts you present.

And, most importantly, don't use human beings, irrespective of their citizenship status, as leverage like that.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:22 AM   #276
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
No you wouldn't.

We have read enough of your posts to know that your sudden "love" for Obama is basically an attempt at diversion from the fact that the people you actually like are having a pretty bad time and like your hero, the orange bloat, you don't like to be linked with "losers."

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from portraying me as a villain. But if DeSantis runs, I will sooner vote for him than any Democrat that is on deck right now. I believe, if he doesn't screw himself, he will be able to attract most of Trump's base.

This latest stunt really just endears him to that demographic. Smart politics on his part. No Dems are going to switch over to vote for him, anyway.

Last edited by Warp12; 20th September 2022 at 08:25 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 09:58 AM   #277
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Secretary Mayor Pete then?
Old 20th September 2022, 10:18 AM   #278
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Secretary Mayor Pete then?

I don't know his views that well; but if he gets the nomination, he would at least have my attention. Unlike those other two. We are getting pretty far away from discussing DeSantis, though.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:50 AM   #279
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sure you would. Pull the other one, Warp.

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from portraying me as a villain.
No one else needs to do that.

But if DeSantis runs, I will sooner vote for him than any Democrat that is on deck right now. I believe, if he doesn't screw himself, he will be able to attract most of Trump's base.

This latest stunt really just endears him to that demographic. Smart politics on his part. No Dems are going to switch over to vote for him, anyway.
Like I said, DeSantis is just a Trump mini-me/wannabe who appeals to the exact same people for the same reasons. People who claim they don't support Trump but would vote for DeSantis are deluding themselves, but no one else, that they don't support Trump.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:56 AM   #280
Warp12
King of Kings

Like I said, DeSantis is just a Trump mini-me/wannabe who appeals to the exact same people for the same reasons. People who claim they don't support Trump but would vote for DeSantis are deluding themselves, but no one else, that they don't support Trump.

I don't know that he is a Trump "mini-me". He seems sharper and not as much of a loose cannon. I mean, he hasn't even hosted The Apprentice. And he doesn't have a past loaded with questionable business dealings. Plus he is a lot younger.

Last edited by Warp12; 20th September 2022 at 11:00 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics