ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2020, 07:28 AM   #1
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Questions on using our Google Nest

We got a Google Nest hub for Christmas, and are just starting to figure out things to do with it.

I know about all the standard features, but the one thing we really want to be able to do with it is to somehow get it to do notifications from our school bus app (the bus has a GPS on it, and so the bus app tracks it and gives us a push notification when the bus is nearby; it's absolutely awesome, because the kids know exactly when the bus is coming and aren't standing at the bus stop forever waiting).

We can get the notifications on our phone, but we'd really like to have that notification pop through the Google Nest. The app is not a Google app, so I think the only thing we can really do is to have that push notification get recognized by the Google aspect of our phone.

Does anyone have experience using the Google Nest and would know if there is a way to do this?
Old 5th February 2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Worm
Illuminator

No direct experience, but could you link it through IFTTT?

https://support.google.com/googlenes.../6378178?hl=en

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 10:59 AM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
No direct experience, but could you link it through IFTTT?

https://support.google.com/googlenes.../6378178?hl=en
I'll look into it.

Funny thing was, at that google support webpage you have there that describes using IFTTT, I tried to chat with a helper, who says, "I see you are looking at the information on IFTTT. Is there anything I can help you with?" and so I describe what I am trying to do, and they say, "Well that's something you have to ask IFTTT about, I can only help with your speaker."

They have IFTTT directions on their google support webpage, but they can't actually help you with it.

Meanwhile, the IFTTT folks don't have much useful customer support.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:04 AM   #4
Worm
Illuminator

I suspect IFTTT support is pretty community led. Online forums are probably the places to go

Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Worm
Illuminator

I wouldn't be massively surprised to find that someone has done pretty much what you're after

Old 5th February 2020, 12:46 PM   #6
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I wouldn't be massively surprised to find that someone has done pretty much what you're after
Probably not that specific app, but some other app that could be easily modified to do this one.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet