ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer

Old 5th February 2020, 05:37 PM   #1
michael44
Critical Thinker

The cancer miracle isn't a cure...

Its not a coincidence that air and water pollution alone aren't enough to cause the aforementioned cancers, but yet some of us continue to expose ourselves to the excesses. This article makes perfect sense, in that while some cancers can be attributed to bad luck, others may be totally avoidable. Examples: both my mother and grandmother succumbed to cancer. My mom from breast cancer, and my grandmother intestinal. Both were taken to the excesses. Most notably, alcohol, tobacco (grandma didn't smoke), and prescription drugs. And well, their diets were questionable as well.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazin...9QWoxxPgs2Uh3g
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
We cannot treat our way out of the rising cancer caseload. The only solution is a full-scale defense, so that nobody suffers the disease in the first place.
I understand what she's saying, but ultimately what she's saying is that if everyone would just live a healthy lifestyle (don't drink, don't smoke, don't be obese) we could prevent about half of cancers.

Also, I believe that some very promising developments on the "cure" side are possibly arriving fairly soon.
Old 8th February 2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

We've poisoned our waterways, air, and food with all manner of harmful chemicals. And, since none of them are singly responsible for cancer, the courts and the will of the people aren't changing anything. Is the runoff from cattle feedlots causing cancer? Is the air quality near airports causing cancer? How about the nitrates used to make hotdogs red? There's so much we could do to clean up after ourselves, but we simply won't.

The healthiest lifestyle in the world, I understand, isn't going to do much to save you if you live near an industrial zone and an airport.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology