ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jeremy bamber , Julie Mugford , murder cases , Nevill Bamber , Sheila Bamber

Old 27th January 2020, 03:52 PM   #401
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
It was Sheila Caffel.
Nonsense.

She misaligned inflicted flesh wound then figured where her brain was located.
Oh good grief, that is beyond silly.

It is incomprehensible to me how anyone on ISF can believe in this appalling hoax.
By what is seemingly an exotic procedure; logical reasoning.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 02:07 PM   #402
The Common Potato
Thinker

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Are you aware of the Dunning–Kruger effect?.
Are you aware of the idea of the presumption of innocence?
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 02:33 PM   #403
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
Are you aware of the idea of the presumption of innocence?
I am. That ended with the entirety appropriate conviction of that mass murdering sociopath.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 02:50 PM   #404
The Common Potato
Thinker

I am. That ended with the entirety appropriate conviction of that mass murdering sociopath.
Nicely circular.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:36 PM   #405
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Nicely circular.
Not really. The way it generally works is this:

1. Presumed Innocent.
2. Tried and convicted.
3. No longer presumed innocent.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:55 PM   #406
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Not really. The way it generally works is this:

1. Presumed Innocent.
2. Tried and convicted.
3. No longer presumed innocent.
As for 3, No longer presumed innocent.

This says nothing about facts, but a lot about belief and opinion. In the case of Bamber Anne Eaton is believed to have planted evidence. We know she got Bamber's house, and should undoubtedly be arrested as JB is currently advocating.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 06:00 PM   #407
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

This says nothing about facts, but a lot about belief and opinion. In the case of Bamber Anne Eaton is believed to have planted evidence. We know she got Bamber's house, and should undoubtedly be arrested as JB is currently advocating.
Your position is a great example of "belief and opinion".

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 04:21 AM   #408
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Your position is a great example of "belief and opinion".
Research is king of the castle.
I have read all case material and Carol Ann Lee’s book.
It is more certain Jeremy Bamber is innocent than gravity makes an egg break on the ceiling.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 08:41 AM   #409
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Even the drama "White House Farm", that is sympathetic to the prosecution, makes it clear that there was nowhere near sufficient credible evidence to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

The failures in evidence gathering, the credible exculpatory evidence and alternative explanation and the failure to disclose evidence are all reasons why Bamber's conviction is unsafe.

We should all be worried about a CJ system that will convict in such circumstances. The problem is that too many people think it will never happen to them or one they care for, so there is not the will to change.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:56 PM   #410
catsmate
No longer the 1

Nicely circular.
Oh good grief.
No. Just no. Try and produce a coherent argument.
Old 13th February 2020, 02:06 PM   #411
catsmate
No longer the 1

This says nothing about facts, but a lot about belief and opinion.
Sigh. No. The mass murdering Bamber was convicted based on facts and evidence.
A tiny group of people don't accept these facts.

In the case of Bamber Anne Eaton is believed to have planted evidence. We know she got Bamber's house, and should undoubtedly be arrested as JB is currently advocating.
Bollocks. Bamber may fool a few gullible people but that doesn't mean his drivel has any credence.

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th February 2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Fixing broken tag
Old 13th February 2020, 03:55 PM   #412
eerok
Quixoticist

It's not the strongest of cases, but I think there's no reasonable alternative to considering Bamber guilty.
Old 13th February 2020, 04:09 PM   #413
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
It's not the strongest of cases, but I think there's no reasonable alternative to considering Bamber guilty.
Which simply means you haven't read competing reconstructions.

One works the other doesn't.
Old 13th February 2020, 04:14 PM   #414
eerok
Quixoticist

Which simply means you haven't read competing reconstructions.

One works the other doesn't.
I've read this thread as well as other things, and I don't accept your narrative as plausible. I don't think Sheila could've done these murders. I think Jeremy most likely did.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:32 AM   #415
The Common Potato
Thinker

... hence...

Nicely circular.
Oh good grief.
No. Just no. Try and produce a coherent argument.
The investigation was slapdash and the conviction didn't pass he beyond reasonable doubt test. PACE '84 came in not too long before the investigations and I don't think it's stretching things too much to assume that some police officers were still wedded to older methods.

This in not an argument, just an opinion.
Old 14th February 2020, 05:19 AM   #416
Azrael 5
Philosopher

With these guys firghting his corner I cant see Jeremy getting out anytime soon:

Quote:
it seems very likely that Sheila was unconscious in the kitchen when the police broke into the house and they left her unattended. She then regained consciousness and went upstairs to the master bedroom where she shot herself and died.
WTF!

Quote:
The police then drafted in large numbers of officers for police training exercises where they used Sheila Caffell to practice taking the gun on and off of her body. This is shown in the photographs. This is the secret Essex police have tried to hide for 26 years in the name of British Justice.
https://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/alibis-1
Old 14th February 2020, 01:44 PM   #417
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh. No. The mass murdering Bamber was convicted based on facts and evidence.
A tiny group of people don't accept these facts.

Bollocks. Bamber may fool a few gullible people but that doesn't mean his drivel has any credence.
Do you accept the Bamber camp claim that there is evidence that was not disclosed at the time of the original trial?
Old 14th February 2020, 02:07 PM   #418
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I've read this thread as well as other things, and I don't accept your narrative as plausible. I don't think Sheila could've done these murders. I think Jeremy most likely did.
That is simply an argument from incredulity. The evidence suggests she shot herself when surrounded, which is not dissimilar to the Bain case.
For some odd reason people seem more comfortable shooting others than themselves, and in these two similar cases the evidence shows it was at the last minute. The discomfort of shooting oneself becomes outweighed by the anticipation of the opprobrium imminent in explaining to the world killing ones own children.

Robin Bain killed his family then some hours later himself, and Sheila Caffel did the same thing (a few years earlier).

There is no doubt in either case.
Old 14th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #419
catsmate
No longer the 1

That is simply an argument from incredulity. The evidence suggests she shot herself when surrounded,
Not even remotely true.
Old 14th February 2020, 02:39 PM   #420
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
With these guys firghting his corner I cant see Jeremy getting out anytime soon:

WTF!

https://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/alibis-1
This is very suspect;

"Message Log (7:37am)
“One dead male and one dead female in Kitchen”

Message Log (7:40am)
“The police entered the premises and found 1 male dead and 1 female dead.”

We also see at 8:10am on the same log, that the police found a further three bodies upstairs. This clearly contradicts the official line that they found one male downstairs and a further four bodies upstairs."
Old 14th February 2020, 03:55 PM   #421
eerok
Quixoticist

That is simply an argument from incredulity.
It's no such thing. We simply don't accept the same evidence as relevant. I think that you accept the rather desperate, scattershot claims of the defense as true because that's the narrative you support. I'm not pretending to be certain, as you are, because I'm not interested in proving anything, which you are.

The evidence suggests she shot herself when surrounded
I don't think it does. I think we can agree that there was some bad police work, and I think that there were inconsistent reports that confused the issue. For example, the idea that Sheila was alive in the kitchen when the police arrived is ludicrous.

which is not dissimilar to the Bain case.
Please don't muddy the thread with comparisons to other cases. They are not relevant.

For some odd reason people seem more comfortable shooting others than themselves, and in these two similar cases the evidence shows it was at the last minute. The discomfort of shooting oneself becomes outweighed by the anticipation of the opprobrium imminent in explaining to the world killing ones own children.
Also please don't muddy the thread with maundering, purely speculative generalities such as these. They add nothing to the discussion.

Robin Bain killed his family then some hours later himself, and Sheila Caffel did the same thing (a few years earlier).

There is no doubt in either case.
Clearly there's enough doubt in this case that Bamber is in prison, and is likely to remain there. I'd love to hear some theory of why the police would conspire to put him there when they already had a closed case for murder/suicide that required zero additional effort and definitely pleased the public. The path of least resistance was obviously to consider Sheila the murderer. The only problem was the facts in evidence.

Last edited by eerok; 14th February 2020 at 04:20 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors