ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:19 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Audio editing

The only thread I could find by using the word "audio" or "editing" that helped me was from 2011. I'm looking for some good audio editing software. I'm familiar with Audacity (and do use it without issue), but was curious to see what else people recommend.

I've been making some youtube videos for tech type stuff (troubleshooting, networking, configuration), and would like to see what other software options I have. I'm not afraid to spend a bit of money, nothing bank breaking but I'd be able to handle USD$100-200 if it's worth it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:03 PM   #2
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Probably not what you're looking for: I use sox for audio stuff, and ffmpeg for video. Who needs a GUI?
Old 13th February 2020, 02:07 PM   #3
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The only thread I could find by using the word "audio" or "editing" that helped me was from 2011. I'm looking for some good audio editing software. I'm familiar with Audacity (and do use it without issue), but was curious to see what else people recommend.

I've been making some youtube videos for tech type stuff (troubleshooting, networking, configuration), and would like to see what other software options I have. I'm not afraid to spend a bit of money, nothing bank breaking but I'd be able to handle USD$100-200 if it's worth it.
Audacity and Garage Band do everything I need to create spoken-word recordings with music and sound effects. I have ProTools, but not the time to learn it.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:40 PM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Audacity and Garage Band do everything I need to create spoken-word recordings with music and sound effects. I have ProTools, but not the time to learn it.
What you've said pretty much echoes everything I've heard as well. I was hoping maybe I was missing a hidden gem somewhere, but it doesn't really seem like it. Thanks

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Probably not what you're looking for: I use sox for audio stuff, and ffmpeg for video. Who needs a GUI?
I program Cisco switches so I don't have any fear of CLI. I just think it would take me a bit longer to make it happen. With 3 mic inputs it might get a bit tough to keep track of for me. I'm fairly ADDish

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 04:26 PM   #5
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I keep meaning to try Lightworks; it might be worth a look as it has a free and paid-for version, IIRC.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:55 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

I found some pretty decent video editing software called "Shotcut" and I really like it. What I'm missing though is more cutaway\scene ending options. It really only has fade to black (not really, but it's fairly limited).

So I'd be open to suggestions there too. I know about the standard Adobe, but if there's other stuff I might be open to trying it as well. I'm really just slumming around, looking for random software. I use ink2go for my screen annotations, but always open to taht as well.

Old 14th February 2020, 09:02 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

For some reason Audio Editing software is one of those weird software categories with very little middle ground, everything is either a free open source project or a 90 bajillion dollars a month licensing release.

There's almost nothing in that "Retail off the shelf productivity and utility software" range of 30-100 bucks, one time purchase.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:05 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

One thing to consider.

If this isn't time sensitive, keep one eye on the Humble Bundle. They do "Audio Editing Software" bundles from time to time.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:30 AM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
One thing to consider.

If this isn't time sensitive, keep one eye on the Humble Bundle. They do "Audio Editing Software" bundles from time to time.
That I will certainly do

Old 14th February 2020, 10:10 AM   #10
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

For video editing, Kdenlive gets a lot of praise lately.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:14 AM   #11
kali1137
Graduate Poster

I have recently jumped into making youtube videos myself. For the audio parts, I switch between Adobe Audition for the more complicated stuff, and Audacity for the simpler things.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 10:16 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
For video editing, Kdenlive gets a lot of praise lately.
That looks pretty decent as well. It looks a lot like what I'm using too, but the only benefit Shotcut has is that they have video training tutorials from the designer. I'm positive I can find a few for this program too though. I don't use it for much just speeding up busy work and cutting out random goof ups and ****. Nothing above and beyond.

Old 14th February 2020, 10:20 AM   #13
DallasDad
Muse

Not sure of the cost, but Studio One from Presonus seems pretty decent.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 10:28 AM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
I have recently jumped into making youtube videos myself. For the audio parts, I switch between Adobe Audition for the more complicated stuff, and Audacity for the simpler things.
I really like Audacity. If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the situations you've seen yourself using Adobe over Audacity? Mind you, I'm a simple man lol. For my youtube videos I have just edited the audio track with the Shotcut program I use. The podcast I edit with audacity.

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
Not sure of the cost, but Studio One from Presonus seems pretty decent.
It looks like they have a free version that does the basic tasks, which might actually be all I need. The "artist" version is only $99 so that's still within my wheelhouse. Thanks.

Old 14th February 2020, 10:45 AM   #15
kali1137
Graduate Poster

I am making animations so I probably manipulate the audio a lot more than normal people. I use Audition to remove background noise and to break up the audio. I have my friends send me their recordings of the lines for the characters and I cut out the takes I like. I also use Audition for putting multiple tracks together into one. I use audacity for the simpler things like adding fade in and out, adjusting the overall volume, trimming things down.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 10:52 AM   #16
plague311
Great minds think...

I am making animations so I probably manipulate the audio a lot more than normal people. I use Audition to remove background noise and to break up the audio. I have my friends send me their recordings of the lines for the characters and I cut out the takes I like. I also use Audition for putting multiple tracks together into one. I use audacity for the simpler things like adding fade in and out, adjusting the overall volume, trimming things down.
Perfect, I was hoping to avoid investing in Adobe and by that description you're light years more advanced than I am.

Old 14th February 2020, 11:01 AM   #17
kali1137
Graduate Poster

I'll be honest, if I didn't have it as part of the suite, I would likely not have purchased it on it's own. Adobe kicks out quality products for sure but the learning curve on them is tough.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:58 PM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Try this https://www.nero.com/ena/. $US42.95 a year. Does contain a lot more than what you want.
Old 18th February 2020, 06:18 AM   #19
Wudang
BOFH

This popped up in my FB ad stream today in case it's of any interest.
https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

Quote:
An infinite series of free software instruments, made by musicians and sampling experts in London, for anyone, anywhere. Presented in our own plug-in, they are easy to use, and compatible with any DAW. And in case you missed it — they're all free.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:56 PM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

Ok, since I have some of the brighter minds here to help me out let me ask another question.

I'm also looking to build a "website" and the reason I put that in quotes is because I want it to be more of a landing site than anything. A place that has some details about my podcast\tutorial videos, a link to the youtube channel\podcast download sites, and that's really about it. Maybe a "contact us" link that I can program. Anyone have some suggestions on some pretty user friendly software to build something like that? I also have no issue with paying to take some online classes that will give me vendor specific knowledge.

I know I can find all of this through google, and I've searched, but it's always best to talk to everyone in the IT world. Any feedback is appreciated, of course.

ETA: I can also use fiverr to make my website, so if I don't come up with something I can just pay someone to do it. Figured it would be a chance for me to learn though.

Old 18th February 2020, 01:26 PM   #21
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I could recommend notepad and a visit to the w3c, but maybe this is more helpful:

https://podlove.org/
Old 18th February 2020, 01:36 PM   #22
plague311
Great minds think...

I could recommend notepad and a visit to the w3c, but maybe this is more helpful:

It's pretty Germanish. I don't have an issue with that but given I'm going to have a learning curve I'm concerned I won't be able to find solutions to my problems easily. Though, admittedly this is the first time I'm seeing it, and am just going off of the videos on the site. That's pretty close to what I'm looking for though those are plugins so I'd still need to build the actual site. That's all if I'm understanding it correctly, being new to it all I might be looking at it wrong.

Old 18th February 2020, 01:41 PM   #23
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Html is general isn't hard, or even hard to pick up. I think the limitation here is how fast you want it up and running. What you are describing sounds pretty simple and paying someone would be overkill for it. I haven't looked for a long time but if I think of it, I will look later tonight to see what is out these days. But basically you are looking for a webhosting service that offers the hosting, the purchase of the domain name, and preferably has a WYSIWYG page design with it. The only one that comes to mind right now is godaddy and I am not sure how good they are or how expensive.
Old 18th February 2020, 01:47 PM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

Html is general isn't hard, or even hard to pick up. I think the limitation here is how fast you want it up and running. What you are describing sounds pretty simple and paying someone would be overkill for it. I haven't looked for a long time but if I think of it, I will look later tonight to see what is out these days. But basically you are looking for a webhosting service that offers the hosting, the purchase of the domain name, and preferably has a WYSIWYG page design with it. The only one that comes to mind right now is godaddy and I am not sure how good they are or how expensive.
I actually have the domain, and webhosting. Both of those I have through cloudflare, which I also use for a few other things. I am open to hosting through other sites, I just find cloudflare to be the most secure\customizable for myself. I run my dynamic DNS and everything through there so I'm quasi-familiar with the interface.

I'll take a look at GoDaddy, and the link the Childlike sent me is a few plugins that are for Wordpress. I can dig through that as well.

ETA: I was slightly off. My domains are actually registered through Google Domains, but my DNS is run through cloudflare.

Old 18th February 2020, 01:51 PM   #25
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Well if you already have the name registered and hosting, no need to look at other sites. Now you just need a good program to design it with. I will take a look and see what is out there now.
Old 18th February 2020, 02:00 PM   #26
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It's pretty Germanish.

Tim PritloveWP, after whom the thing is named and who is its main developer, is the son of British soldiers in Germany and only recently, due to Brexit, has become a German citizen. He was the speaker of the CCC for many years, maybe is THE podcast pioneer in Germany and in general a very bright mind. I can happily recommend his products while being just a casual consumer with no detail knowledge.
Old 18th February 2020, 02:15 PM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

Tim PritloveWP, after whom the thing is named and who is its main developer, is the son of British soldiers in Germany and only recently, due to Brexit, has become a German citizen. He was the speaker of the CCC for many years, maybe is THE podcast pioneer in Germany and in general a very bright mind. I can happily recommend his products while being just a casual consumer with no detail knowledge.
I didn't mean that to come off as rude or anything. I just noticed the support videos were in the German language. I have absolutely no problems with where he's from, who he is, etc. I am just concerned about looking for answers and having limited English resources. Which, while they can be translated, it's just easier with all of the choices in software to find something in my native language.

Old 18th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #28
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I didn't mean that to come off as rude or anything. I just noticed the support videos were in the German language. I have absolutely no problems with where he's from, who he is, etc. I am just concerned about looking for answers and having limited English resources. Which, while they can be translated, it's just easier with all of the choices in software to find something in my native language.

No worries, but I'm pretty sure you'll find everything is explained in plain English if you explore for some minutes.
Old 19th February 2020, 12:10 AM   #29
Wudang
BOFH

Do you mean notepad++? As well as syntax highlighting it has “run in chrome” etc toolbar options to see the html.
Back when I had a website I used komposer, free and wysiwyg. At work it’s IntelliJ and Angular, overkill for most.

Komposer is pretty good and builds pretty clean html. So you can do a few simple things, look at the html and learn. If you want to see a horror show open an html file in word, change something and save it.
Old 19th February 2020, 02:27 AM   #30
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Do you mean notepad++? As well as syntax highlighting it has “run in chrome” etc toolbar options to see the html.
Back when I had a website I used komposer, free and wysiwyg. At work it’s IntelliJ and Angular, overkill for most.

Komposer is pretty good and builds pretty clean html. So you can do a few simple things, look at the html and learn. If you want to see a horror show open an html file in word, change something and save it.

No, I meant notepad. The stuff you describe is for cheats! Devil's work!!!1

(Using Sublime Text myself)
Old 19th February 2020, 02:32 AM   #31
Worm
Illuminator

If you're looking at something relatively simple, then I would probably recommend an out-of-the-box solution like Wordpress or similar. No point re-inventing the wheel (IMO)

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2020, 07:03 AM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
If you're looking at something relatively simple, then I would probably recommend an out-of-the-box solution like Wordpress or similar. No point re-inventing the wheel (IMO)
That's kind of the direction I'm leaning towards right now. I'm going to check out Komposer as Wudang suggested, as I figure it's always best to look at every option. Right now though, as far as podcast is related, it appears wordpress has more promotional plugins you can use for the site. The place I'm going to be hosting the podcasts through has a free player and everything built into it, so I'll just direct traffic there from the site that I eventually build.

Thanks everyone, this has been great.

Old 19th February 2020, 07:19 AM   #33
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Back in the day I used Cool Edit. It was actually cool. And rather cost effective. That was eventually eaten by Adobe and is rather horribly expensive now (as expected). Nevertheless, it should be possible to find a pre-Adobe licence for sale somewhere on the intertubes.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2020, 08:00 AM   #34
Wudang
BOFH

That's kind of the direction I'm leaning towards right now. I'm going to check out Komposer as Wudang suggested,
Just looked and it's KompoZer and it hasn't been maintained in a while so I'd be a little concerned. Maybe try brackets or atom, I've played with both.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet