ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Loch Ness may actually be getting monsters thanks to global warming

I was watching a video of either a snake or an Eel or an oarfish or whatever swimming past a boat on the Loch Ness.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:53 PM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 01:37 AM   #3
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I was watching a video of either a snake or an Eel or an oarfish or whatever swimming past a boat on the Loch Ness.
Once an eel gave me a warning bite. I Was scuba diving off Christmas Island and I was looking at some fish while holding onto a rock. I then felt a sensation like many needles scraping my skin. I looked down at my hand and saw an eel retreating into a hole. I withdrew my hand Sent my sincerest appology thoughts to the eel, and thanked it for not taking a chunk out of my hand and moved on.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 02:22 AM   #4
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It was me.
Old 13th September 2019, 02:24 AM   #5
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It was me.
Are you by any chance a giant eel? Or are you instead a shoal of smaller eels?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 04:54 AM   #6
BinDerSmokDat
New Blood

Do you know what UFOs and cryptozoological monsters have in common?
People lump a series of observations together and then try to find one explanation for all of them, instead of looking at each incident individually.

Logs, otters, eels, wind disturbances on the water, fish wakes = Nessie.

Conventional aircraft, meteors, weather phenomenon, balloon/sky lantern hoaxes = UFO.

Just apply Occam's Razor...if you have to invent an intergalactic-faring or loch-dwelling species to explain something, you're probably wrong.
BinDerSmokDat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BinDerSmokDat View Post
Do you know what UFOs and cryptozoological monsters have in common?
People lump a series of observations together and then try to find one explanation for all of them, instead of looking at each incident individually.

Logs, otters, eels, wind disturbances on the water, fish wakes = Nessie.

Conventional aircraft, meteors, weather phenomenon, balloon/sky lantern hoaxes = UFO.

Just apply Occam's Razor...if you have to invent an intergalactic-faring or loch-dwelling species to explain something, you're probably wrong.
I never said anything that smacked of hocus pokus crap. Global warming has allowed hitherto unknown sea creatures into the Loch. Let me find the video.
Old 13th September 2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I never said anything that smacked of hocus pokus crap. Global warming has allowed hitherto unknown sea creatures into the Loch. Let me find the video.
I can't find the video. The creature I saw was a sluggish snake-like thing and it was able to get in the Loch because of rising sea levels due to global warming. Depending on your definition of monsters the snake or whatever didn't look dangerous at all. It swam by two men in a boat.
Old 13th September 2019, 02:57 PM   #9
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It was me.
You gave me a warning bite?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 04:58 PM   #10
EHocking
Philosopher

I never said anything that smacked of hocus pokus crap. Global warming has allowed hitherto unknown sea creatures into the Loch.
How?

The loch's surface is 16m (52ft) above sea level and has numerous canal locks between it and the sea.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 05:05 PM   #11
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
How?

The loch's surface is 16m (52ft) above sea level and has numerous canal locks between it and the sea.
Nessie's a narrowboater?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How?

I don't know about "unknown", but numerous sea creatures DO visit Loch Ness, including anadromous fish like salmon and catadromous fish like eels. The native eel population breeds in the sargasso sea. Seals have also been known to pay the loch a visit.

It's annoyingly difficult to find information about the fauna of the loch that's not just focused on the monster.
Old 14th September 2019, 04:48 PM   #13
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I don't know about "unknown", but numerous sea creatures DO visit Loch Ness, including anadromous fish like salmon and catadromous fish like eels. The native eel population breeds in the sargasso sea. Seals have also been known to pay the loch a visit.

It's annoyingly difficult to find information about the fauna of the loch that's not just focused on the monster.
And is facilitated by global warming how?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 04:55 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And is facilitated by global warming how?
Not, probably. But your suggested sea creatures couldn't get there at all.
Old 14th September 2019, 05:00 PM   #15
EHocking
Philosopher

Not, probably. But your suggested sea creatures couldn't get there at all.
I was questioning the implied premise that rising sea levels were somehow involved.

Again, how is global warming facilitating the invasion of “monsters” to the loch and where is the evidence that such “monsters” are indeed arriving?
Old 14th September 2019, 05:23 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Please read what you wrote. Specifically:
Quote:
How?

You're saying Cainekane's hypothetical sea creatures couldn't get there for those reasons. I simply pointed out that ACTUAL sea creatures can and do get there and have for thousands of years. I'm not saying the hypothetical creatures are real or that global warming has anything to do with it; just that your reasoning is off.
Note also that the River Ness and River Oich have free flowing sections in parallel to the locks, as far as I can tell.
Old 14th September 2019, 05:24 PM   #17
EHocking
Philosopher

Please read what you wrote. Specifically:

You're saying Cainekane's hypothetical sea creatures couldn't get there for those reasons. I simply pointed out that ACTUAL sea creatures can and do get there and have for thousands of years. I'm not saying the hypothetical creatures are real or that global warming has anything to do with it; just that your reasoning is off.
Note also that the River Ness and River Oich have free flowing sections in parallel to the locks, as far as I can tell.
And global warming has what to do with any of this?
Old 14th September 2019, 05:41 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Where did I say it did? You've correctly identified that the OP is wrong but for the wrong reason.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:46 AM   #19
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I can't find the video. The creature I saw was a sluggish snake-like thing and it was able to get in the Loch because of rising sea levels due to global warming. Depending on your definition of monsters the snake or whatever didn't look dangerous at all. It swam by two men in a boat.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the recent video footage of a large snake swimming in a river in China? I've not heard about any recent footage of a snakelike creature swimming in Loch Ness.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:43 AM   #20
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/v...eory-j6nlsj0q3

Scientists from the University of Otago in New Zealand announced in research published this month that Nessie might be an oversized eel.

A video has now emerged which appears to show a large serpent-like creature in the River Ness, which flows into Britain’s largest body of fresh water.
Old 18th September 2019, 08:04 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The eels result is discussed in another thread.

Your link is paywalled, by the way.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal