ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Massachusetts politics , presidential candidates , racial categorization , racial isssues

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #401
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Double irony in regard to this thread: for most of their existence DAR actively prohibited African Americans/Blacks from joining. I am not certain what percent was required to invalidate one's application. However for many years in the South "one drop" black blood" (any black ancestry) was considered enough to define one as black legally and socially. Of course Warren would be considered without question Native American if this type of standard was applied to her!

This also illustrates how slippery, complex, and often erroneous definitions of race are. The central problem of course is that "race" is a meaningless term in genetics. The classical definitions of race do not match up with the actual science. Some alleles tend to be more common in some groups than others and this can be used as an approximation of ancestry. But there is enormous variation within each group, people outside that group may nonetheless share some of the same alleles as those inside, and the boundaries are very vague. Most people are a complicated mix of different ancestries. To try to say that having 1/4 some "race-related" alleles qualifies you as that race, but 1/8 or 1/16 etc. doesn't is meaningless as well as arbitrary; it simply doesn't work like that. The genetic data cannot be interpreted that way.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #402
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe you forgot your complaint that she lied. You just said that her ancestry is a matter of fact, which means that it wasn't a lie on her part.
I've made it as clear as can be that I don't consider her ancestry sufficient to claim her race as American Indian. I've never once denied her fractional makeup or even inferred it. Pay just a whit of attention please.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #403
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I've made it as clear as can be that I don't consider her ancestry sufficient to claim her race as American Indian.

(.................sigh....................)

HOW MANY TIMES NEED YOU BE TOLD THAT'S IRRELEVANT AND INSUFFICIENT TO WHETHER OR NOT WARREN LIED?

I'm quite satisfied with the fact.....yes, I know it to be a FACT.....that you don't think she has sufficient ancestry to be Native American. It astounds me that you continue to remain ignorant of the fact that what you think is absolutely irrelevant to what she thinks, which is really the determining factor of whether she lied or not.

It really is that simple!

You are wrong. Just man up and admit it. It'll be OK.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #404
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs
I don't see where we disagree on this.
Weren't you saying it would have been better for her not to have done the test? That was the part I disagreed with. I think it was handled poorly but ultimately successful in delegitimizing the complaints.
No. I said just the opposite. I think you misread this part:

"While, imo, that makes her claim completely credible, her detractors naturally jumped on the "10" generations detail and then on her claim of being NA on paperwork over 30 years ago. As I said, that was her mistake. If she had not done so, this whole ludicrous thing would have disappeared long ago. "

The DNA test was not a mistake; putting "Native American" down on her professional paperwork was her mistake.
Quote:
I think the best thing she can do is get ahead of it with tribal endorsements. She's clearly the best option for native american interests, but she needs to get them to say so and that'll take the wind out of all the Pocahontas talk. **** yeah she's Pocahontas, so what?
I agree.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #405
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I've made it as clear as can be that I don't consider her ancestry sufficient to claim her race as American Indian.
So, what?

This has been pointed out multiple times now, but disagreeing with someone doesnít mean they are lying.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #406
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
So, what?

This has been pointed out multiple times now, but disagreeing with someone doesnít mean they are lying.
This doesn't follow in the conversation. Your opaque communication style grows tedious. I've made my position clear. You don't agree. I get it.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #407
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

This doesn't follow in the conversation.
Of course, it does. That's what people have been telling you for pages now.

Your opaque communication style grows tedious.
Opaque? You appear to be the only one who hasn't understood what I've been saying.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #408
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

People are stll talking about this? Who cares? I sure as hell don't.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #409
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Opaque? You appear to be the only one who hasn't understood what I've been saying.
OK then. In this sentence...
disagreeing with someone doesn’t mean they are lying
Who is the someone and what is the point of disagreement?

Add: Opaque isn't quite right. More like muddled.

Last edited by varwoche; Yesterday at 09:10 PM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #410
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I was away enjoying not reading his thread and I missed this post. Pardon me!

[1] There are no members who do not meet the minimum requirement, because it is a minimum requirement for membership.

[2] Again, that is an odd way of putting it. The name is just a descriptive name. They take pride in their ancestral connection and identify with it.

[3] Not even a little bit. Even if they were named the GGGGGDAR, the situation would still be analogous. They would still be an organization that identifies and takes pride in their "fractional" ancestral connection to a particular group.

[4] That is a matter of opinion.

I'd say the parallels are obvious. As I have said many times now, both identify, in part, with an ancestor roughly the same generations removed. (I'd argue that DAR members do even more so than Warren, in my experience, but that's neither here nor there.) If you label Warren's identification with Native Americans a lie, should you not similarly label the DAR's identification with people involved in the Revolutionary War?

You were unaware of the DAR before this conversation, correct? What about the Daughters of the Confederacy, a similar but a few generations less distant from the ancestors in question? Warren's identification with a distant ancestry is neither unique or even uncommon. I suggest that you're thinking it is has more to do with your unfamiliarity with these kinds of people than it says anything about Warren.
Now I understand. And I also understand why I didn't understand. You're equating celebration of fractional identity with answering a specific question on an official form?!? Wow. We're back to apples and meatloaf here. Swear to Odin this didn't occur to me.

Last edited by varwoche; Yesterday at 09:12 PM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #411
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
People are stll talking about this? Who cares? I sure as hell don't.
Nobody really, myself included. It's a conversation about the nature of a lie and political tribalism.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #412
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

This doesn't follow in the conversation. Your opaque communication style grows tedious. I've made my position clear. You don't agree. I get it.
Your position that Warren specifically lied on a form my lifetime ago is clear yes, and with many repetitions. Any evidence supporting it, a reason for it to be a lie, you have failed to even address.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #413
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Posters here have given you reason after reason after reason, with plenty of supporting evidence as to why your position, that Warren lied, cannot be proved to be correct. Unless you know what was in her mind when she filled out that form, you can never know for sure.

But like a conspracy theorist, you hand-wave away everything that everyone says for no other reason than it doesn't match YOUR personal view. Its seems to be a hill that you are prepared to die in no matter what.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:36 AM   #414
Belz...
Fiend God

And we've told you over and over that this is irrelevant to the question of whether she lied.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:15 AM   #415
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

OK then. In this sentence...
disagreeing with someone doesnít mean they are lying
Who is the someone and what is the point of disagreement?

Add: Opaque isn't quite right. More like muddled.
You disagree with Warren about what constitutes race. That doesnít mean she was lying about hers.
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #416
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Now I understand. And I also understand why I didn't understand. You're equating celebration of fractional identity with answering a specific question on an official form?!? Wow. We're back to apples and meatloaf here. Swear to Odin this didn't occur to me.
Again, I think you are being disingenuous. If your only defense of your position is sarcasm, you have no argument. Is “it’s common sense!” coming along soon?

ETA:
What I’m actually doing is pointing out that the underlying assumption, namely:
I don't fault her for that aspect. The problem is, even per the family story, she was fractional. Self-identifying based on a small fraction is dishonest.
is false. Lots of people do it and it is a socially acceptable practice and neither considered dishonest nor even that unusual.

Can we all agree that the DAR is not being dishonest in their self-identification with their fractional ancestry?

Last edited by Upchurch; Today at 03:46 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:08 AM   #417
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You disagree with Warren about what constitutes race. That doesnít mean she was lying about hers.
Does he disagree, though?

Does Warren claim to be Native American these days?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #418
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Posters here have given you reason after reason after reason...
I'm highly unimpressed by certain of the arguments that some of the more active posters have put forward. Your blatantly tribal approach to things, not just in this thread, serves as a prime example.
Old Today, 06:01 AM   #419
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Indeed.

The only evidence we have of Warren's contemporary stance on this is her apology. Seeing as I have expressed precisely zero disagreements with Warren, here or anywhere else on the forum, funny enough it's apparently Upchurch who has a disagreement with her.

@Upchurch -- that's why your post made no sense to me. You jumped into an exchange that Belz and I were having. Because I've expressed no differences with Warren, I wasn't clear who you were referring to. Sharpen your pencil, stop knee-jerking to false conclusions, and we'll be fine.

Add: Actually, as theprestige infers, we also have the evidence that she no longer self-identifies this way.

Last edited by varwoche; Today at 06:13 AM.
Old Today, 06:22 AM   #420
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Your position that Warren specifically lied on a form my lifetime ago is clear yes, and with many repetitions. Any evidence supporting it, a reason for it to be a lie, you have failed to even address.
Help me out here. Are you in the camp that she wasn't truthful, but that doesn't necessarily make it a lie? Or are you in the camp that she was truthful? That's the magical thinking camp. That's where if you're passionate about something, and you click your heels three times, that makes it so.

(I would enjoy it if camp1 would hash things out with camp2 and let me be a reader for a while.)

Camp is a figure of speech by the way. Gotta be careful around here.
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #421
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

... Can we all agree that the DAR is not being dishonest in their self-identification with their fractional ancestry?
Yes. Furthermore, since they make it clear their ancestry is micro-fractional, they didn't do what Warren did.
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #422
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't address anyone that way, largely for reasons I've already pointed out. Namely, I have no personal connection to Africa. I'm just guessing what the asterisked word was, but I was under the impression that that is much more an American* term than an African one, and I certainly have no African American connections, as per my DNA test. There is a greater historical context why someone like me should not use that particular term.
I have deep affinity for African-American cultural forms. Think Mariana Trench. A considerable percentage of my posts on this forum, ever since the day I joined, stand as evidence of this.

So here I am, a Caucasian with ancient African roots and a deep affinity for African-American cultural forms. Yet if I go around greeting people with "Whazzup my *****" (the slang form of the N word) I'd be full of more BS than the cow ranch next door. And I bet that most posters would agree.

Why would I be full of BS? Anyone feel free to answer.
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #423
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Help me out here. Are you in the camp that she wasn't truthful, but that doesn't necessarily make it a lie? Or are you in the camp that she was truthful? That's the magical thinking camp. That's where if you're passionate about something, and you click your heels three times, that makes it so.

(I would enjoy it if camp1 would hash things out with camp2 and let me be a reader for a while.)
There's one more to add to your straw man camps. The one where she where what she said was true but also a lie.
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #424
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Yes. Furthermore, since they make it clear their ancestry is micro-fractional, they didn't do what Warren did.
Warren didn't make it clear her ancestry was micro-fractional? Was she claiming her parents were Native American? Her grandparents?

Or are you saying that she because she did not specify every time, she was being unclear?
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #425
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I have deep affinity for African-American cultural forms. Think Mariana Trench. A considerable percentage of my posts on this forum, ever since the day I joined, stand as evidence of this.

So here I am, a Caucasian with ancient African roots and a deep affinity for African-American cultural forms. Yet if I go around greeting people with "Whazzup my *****" (the slang form of the N word) I'd be full of more BS than the cow ranch next door. And I bet that most posters would agree.

I want to add a casual comment that isn't intended to advance an argument nor rebut one. Can't be too careful hereabouts.

Add to my African-American credentials that I'm friends with approx 1/3 of the African Americans in my huge WA state county!
There are about 3 in total. The county is huge geographically. Welcome to the American Redoubt.
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #426
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Wait, African roots or African-American roots? Which one are you claiming?
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #427
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I would need to know what you think those category errors are to do so.
I already explained once. Here, in detail:

(1) I was dismissive of policies/rules of tribes, more generally known as groups. See post 249.

(2) Later on, I mentioned I was looking forward to finding out the opinions of Native American individuals who I'll be working with soon. See post 347.

(3) You called this out. See post 349. Why should I care what these individuals think when I'm dismissive of tribal policies/rules?

This is textbook category error. An individual is not a group. It's irrational to saddle an individual with every aspect of the group they belong to (except for immutable characteristics). This is true as a matter of logic. This is true in real life.

Thinking of individual people that way is narrow-minded and obnoxious, but that's besides the point.

It took way too long to dredge those links ... to explain stuff I suspect you already know.

I have to work long hours over the next 6 weeks. I won't be posting much. I regret that our exchange turned acrimonious, in particular my contribution.
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #428
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Let's just say for argument's sake that Elizabeth Warren lied many years ago. Lets say she has lied a few times since. That still puts her behind Trump by tens of thousands. Recent analysis has Trump lying 13 times every day. More than 10,000 since he took office. I think that makes Warren human and Trump a POS.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #429
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'm highly unimpressed by certain of the arguments that some of the more active posters have put forward. Your blatantly tribal approach to things, not just in this thread, serves as a prime example.
That's your answer? Attack the arguer instead of the argument?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:29 PM   #430
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Camp is a figure of speech by the way. Gotta be careful around here.
I'm in camp 3... lies and untruths are not the same. A lie requires intent on the part of the teller... untruths do not. This is a well understood fact of the English language - something that intelligent, well educated people understand. If you say something that you believe to be true, but later turns out not to be, then that is not a lie, that is a mistake.

Given the above is undeniable fact, then my interpretation is that Warren acted in good faith in the belief that what she wrote down was the truth. At a time before DNA testing, she had every reason to belieive her family story, and no reason at all to doubt it....and as it turns out, what she wrote down was in fact a half truth (or partly true if you prefer).

However, your other assertion, that there is a bright line beyond which you cannot claim you are of a certain "race", and that this bright line applies to all races, is just a completely spurious fabrication, made up by you, to try to defend the indefensible. Even if you just take Native Americans, they cannot even agree between individual tribes where that bright line is, or even if one exists at all.
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #431
Stacyhs
Philosopher

And round and round and round we go........
I get dizzy just reading this thread.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #432
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm in camp 3... lies and untruths are not the same. A lie requires intent on the part of the teller... untruths do not. This is a well understood fact of the English language - something that intelligent, well educated people understand. If you say something that you believe to be true, but later turns out not to be, then that is not a lie, that is a mistake.

Given the above is undeniable fact, then my interpretation is that Warren acted in good faith in the belief that what she wrote down was the truth. At a time before DNA testing, she had every reason to belieive her family story, and no reason at all to doubt it....and as it turns out, what she wrote down was in fact a half truth (or partly true if you prefer).

However, your other assertion, that there is a bright line beyond which you cannot claim you are of a certain "race", and that this bright line applies to all races, is just a completely spurious fabrication, made up by you, to try to defend the indefensible. Even if you just take Native Americans, they cannot even agree between individual tribes where that bright line is, or even if one exists at all.
Well said.

Who's to know for certain that family lore is accurate? My father use to say we were related to a famous baseball manager for whom we share the same last name. But genealogy searches don't seem to support this claim.

He also use to tell us as children that he walked miles in the snow in Iowa to school. And then on a visit to his hometown he pointed out the home he grew up in and his school. They were maybe a block away from each other.

It was then I realized my father sometimes told stories. For years I doubted that he was on Omaha beach on D-day. He never said much about it other than he was there. You see my Dad was in the Navy. I couldn't see how this could be true. Given what happened there, I always thought this was probably a huge lie. It made me dislike him more than I did. It turns out he was. He was stationed on an LST (A tank landing craft) that sunk on the beach. He was one of two survivors from that boat. It cost me a pretty penny to find this out but I'm glad it wasn't another story.
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #433
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

If you would pay attention, you would realize the issue is what Warren thought 30 years ago.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #434
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Add: Actually, as theprestige infers, we also have the evidence that she no longer self-identifies this way.
And as I just noted, that's absolutely irrelevant to whether she lied 30 years ago.

This ain't that hard, man.
Old Today, 04:10 PM   #435
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Actually, if you truly understand the definition of a lie, that's actually rather accurate: If you believe it, it's not a lie.

Whether the statement is objectively true or not is absolutely irrelevant.
Old Today, 04:13 PM   #436
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Apples and oranges, bro; apples and oranges. Unless you think simply identifying as a certain ethnicity is equivalent to using racial slurs.
Old Today, 04:15 PM   #437
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Actually, if you truly understand the definition of a lie, that's actually rather accurate: If you believe it, it's not a lie.

Whether the statement is objectively true or not is absolutely irrelevant.
Then again, if you can't show it to be objectively false, it is relevant. Totally.

Person believes something to be true + you can't show that it objectively isn't = not a lie
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #438
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

I want to add a casual comment that isn't intended to advance an argument nor rebut one. Can't be too careful hereabouts.

Add to my African-American credentials that I'm friends with approx 1/3 of the African Americans in my huge WA state county!
There are about 3 in total. The county is huge geographically. Welcome to the American Redoubt.

The fact that you claiming African ancestry would be a lie (because you actually don't believe it) does not imply anything about another person, her claim, and her beliefs. You might as well claim you like fried chicken, therefore Warren likes fried chicken.

Two different people, man. Two different people. This is news to you?
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #439
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

I already explained once. Here, in detail:

(1) I was dismissive of policies/rules of tribes, more generally known as groups. See post 249.

(2) Later on, I mentioned I was looking forward to finding out the opinions of Native American individuals who I'll be working with soon. See post 347.

(3) You called this out. See post 349. Why should I care what these individuals think when I'm dismissive of tribal policies/rules?

This is textbook category error. An individual is not a group. It's irrational to saddle an individual with every aspect of the group they belong to (except for immutable characteristics). This is true as a matter of logic. This is true in real life.

Thinking of individual people that way is narrow-minded and obnoxious, but that's besides the point.

It took way too long to dredge those links ... to explain stuff I suspect you already know.

I have to work long hours over the next 6 weeks. I won't be posting much. I regret that our exchange turned acrimonious, in particular my contribution.

What a waste of time--All is irrelevant to what Warren believed and how she identified herself.

Too much of a coward to confront me proving you wrong? I guess some prefer ignorance. I hear it's a good place to wallow.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics