ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags North Carolina incidents , North Carolina politics , republicans

Reply
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #201
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,271
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I posted a list of quotes where the argument was clearly the GOP as a whole is scummy. Two of them were yours. I'll remind you:

Here you are making it clear that the whole GOP is "a bunch of lying weasel scumbag hypocrites," GOP supporters are "textbook examples of cognitive dissonance," and in a civilized country the actions of the NC GOP here would merit a "[ban] from participation in politics for about five years." All in response this one ****** move. So yes, it's pretty clear that you think the GOP is pretty dang bad when it comes to supporting lying weaselly scumbag moves.

It is perfectly germane to therefore ask you: Should the Dems have been banned for the way they passed the lottery bill? Are the dems lying weaselly scumbags? Are Dem supporters examples of cognitive dissonance, especially given their overblown response to this move?
Wow! You don't half twist things, eh? You quote me referring to the portion of the GOP that are lying weasel scumbags and saying that we have to keep reminding the other (implicitly casual) supporters that they're supporting lying weasel scumbags.... AND YOU STRAW MAN THAT INTO THE HILITED PHRASE.

I was, first off, referring to the NC GOP. You even quoted the post where I specifically pointed that at. And then you proceed to ignore it. This is identical to the "Look! She called you all deplorables" spin.

If you want to start a thread about the Lottery vote, go ahead and start one. The evidence is not what you think it is. It was more a camp vs camp fight. The pro-lottery element within the Democratic Party but a combined GOP and activist Dems in the anti-lottery camp, with different motivations. It wasn't 100% party partisanship. As whataboutism goes it gets about a six on a scale of one to ten.

And you ignore the main thrust. "Here's examples of your side doing it" is the very definition of whataboutism. And it plays right into the apologist's dogma of "show me how this is unique to my side".

No one's claimed it was unique. No one claimed it was every single Republican or every single Republican supporter. No one claimed ALL TRUMP VOTERS were deplorable. This is all political spin to distract and dodge the responsibility for the bad choices some you supposedly "thinking conservatives" have made.

But if it makes you happy, yeah, if you can actually show that the Dems (uniquely, of course) pulled similar dirty tricks on the Lottery vote (or any vote), I'd vote to censure the party in some form. The Louisiana Democrats should've been barred from running in State elections for two or three election cycles for their support of the borderline totalitarianism of Huey P. Long. Fining, jailing or censuring a few fall guys does nothing if the parties are allowed to continue in the same vein.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #202
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,161
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
And did you get the corroborating evidence? Because the OP has been pretty well debunked -9/11 had nothing to do with anything, just good ol' political chicanery.
The 9/11 thing you keep harping isnít what Iím talking about.

But to that point, what you seem to not grasp is that the record was corrected and the claim was no longer being made.

People make mistakes and get things wrong sometimes. Thatís not the issue. The issue is when someone gets something wrong and then instead of accepting the error when itís pointed out to them, they double-down on it and continue to insist that they are right.

And thatís what youíre doing now.

As far as the corroborating evidence, I was talking about the claim that Republicans lied to the Democrats about whether or not a vote would be held.

If the Democrats claim one version of events and the Republicans claim another, a fair-minded person couldnít make a reasonable determination of truth absent any corroboration.

But when it turns out that the Republican who claims he didnít tell the Democrats there would be no vote did tell a reporter there would be no vote, the Republican version of events becomes suspect.

In that case, a fair-minded person might reach the reasonable conclusion that the Republicans are lying.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #203
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,587
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
On second thought, why bother?

I agree. You have absolutely nothing of worth to offer.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:29 AM   #204
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,542
I wonder why the Trump supporters here and on the rest of the Web who complain about "special pleading" and "different standards", and that we should criticize both sides just as much don't make a point of criticising Republicans as much as they criticise Democrats. It's almost as if ...
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #205
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I wonder why the Trump supporters here and on the rest of the Web who complain about "special pleading" and "different standards", and that we should criticize both sides just as much don't make a point of criticising Republicans as much as they criticise Democrats. It's almost as if ...


I have criticized Republicans and Iíve seen other posters who are viewed as conservative do so as well . Right here in this thread even. You can look at the ďDonald Trump is dangerously mentally ill...Ē thread for more examples.

You wonít find me on threads where the issues have been well sussed-out and thereís no need for more piling on. Yeah, the Republicans suck. Politics sucks in general. I limit my participation in this sub to issues that interest me, where I feel I have a different angle to contribute or where I want to add my voice to particular POV.

In this thread, my interest was in countering the ďGOP is evil!Ē refrain that was being sung. Apparently, if I donít jump on the bandwagon, Iím a liar who has nothing to contribute. Whatever. Iíve made my point; long live bandwagoning!
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #206
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,161
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
In this thread, my interest was in countering the ďGOP is evil!Ē refrain that was being sung.
If you want to perpetuate the charade that youíre just a fair-minded balancer of the scales, you need to try a lot harder.

When you come into this thread proclaiming right-wing blogs as irrefutable historical documents, it makes you look desperate and your true intentions become that much more obvious.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #207
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
If you want to perpetuate the charade that youíre just a fair-minded balancer of the scales, you need to try a lot harder.



When you come into this thread proclaiming right-wing blogs as irrefutable historical documents, it makes you look desperate and your true intentions become that much more obvious.
And what are my true intentions again, oh psychic wonder?

Maybe you should stop trying to divine my intentions and just respond to what I say -you know, address the argument instead of the arguer. Too many here are more interested in smearing people with a broad brush than actually listening.

Iíve substantiated the events recounted in those blogs. You can respond to that or not. Whatever.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #208
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,864
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
And what are my true intentions again, oh psychic wonder?

One does not have to be psychic to read a sign being shoved in one's face.

Quote:
I’ve substantiated the events recounted in those blogs. You can respond to that or not. Whatever.

No you haven't. You've only provided highly-partisan assertions without evidence. Until you provide corroborating evidence from an effectively unbiased source that substantiates these assertions, it's just more pathetic whataboutism and evasion.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon

Last edited by luchog; Today at 11:58 AM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #209
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,161
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
And what are my true intentions again, oh psychic wonder?
To push the Trump-era conservative narrative that everything is fine, Trump is just doing regular president stuff, this is just politics as usual, so settle down you have TDS, Democrats are bad too, and also everything is fine.

Quote:
Maybe you should stop trying to divine my intentions and just respond to what I say -you know, address the argument instead of the arguer. Too many here are more interested in smearing people with a broad brush than actually listening.
No one has been smeared and it doesnít require divination to ascertain your intentions, only an ability to observe the obvious.

And I have addressed your arguments over and over, and told you in detail why they are poor. Your response has been to ignore the points Iíve made and come after me for somehow being unfair to you.

Quote:
Iíve substantiated the events recounted in those blogs. You can respond to that or not. Whatever.
Except that you havenít. Those blogs claim the Democrats engaged in some kind of deception. No neutral source substantiates that claim.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,932
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
And what are my true intentions again, oh psychic wonder?

Maybe you should stop trying to divine my intentions and just respond to what I say -you know, address the argument instead of the arguer. Too many here are more interested in smearing people with a broad brush than actually listening.

Iíve substantiated the events recounted in those blogs. You can respond to that or not. Whatever.
Sure. As sure as you respond to the actual topic and not a "Whatboutataism" hijack you inject into the discussion.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:10 PM   #211
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,167
[quote=luchog;12827931]One does not have to be psychic to read a sign being shoved in one's face. make stuff up.

There I made your sentence true.


Quote:
No you haven't. You've only provided highly-partisan assertions without evidence. Until you provide corroborating evidence from an effectively unbiased source that substantiates these assertions, it's just more pathetic whataboutism and evasion.
NYT and WRAL are partisan? Itís as I said: Any source I provide will be shot down. Maybe Iím the psychic...
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #212
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,587
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

Maybe you should stop trying to divine my intentions and just respond to what I say -you know, address the argument instead of the arguer.

Sure, any time you're ready to provide a legitimate cite as opposed to a biased blog, we'll be ready to listen.

Until then, I'll at least persist in calling out your BS.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:40 PM   #213
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,587
An exchange with xjx388:

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You've impeached every one of my sources as biased and keep asking for more.


Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Actually, a few of the sources didn't even have any information damning of Democrats. Why did you bother with them.

What you don't have so far is a neutral source damning of Democrats. Every neutral source you posted does not support your claim. Don't you find that suspicious?


Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I'm not looking for sources that damn anyone; I'm looking for sources that outline the bare facts, stripping out the pearl clutching, damnation and emotion, and all the sources are in agreement with those facts. Those facts are very simple.



Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Please don't lie to me: You were specifically looking for sources that damn Democrats in showing they were involved in unethical behavior. That's precisely your intention. Why must you lie? Let me be clear: I'm OK with you doing that. I'm aware of unethical actions by Democrats, believe me. I just don't appreciate you lying about it.

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Lying? No, that's just well-poisoning.


Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, and you're still lying, I see. I know damn well it was your intention to find unethical Democratic behavior to contrast with the OP. That's obvious, man.

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
In this thread, my interest was in countering the “GOP is evil!” refrain that was being sung. Apparently, if I don’t jump on the bandwagon, I’m a liar who has nothing to contribute. Whatever. I’ve made my point; long live bandwagoning!

LOL! See? Precisely like I told you.


LIAR


QED

Last edited by Cabbage; Today at 04:51 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.