IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 13th January 2021, 11:43 AM   #1081
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Eventually you just know that they are going to arrest someone and to get out of they are going to claim they really are a Left/Antifa/BLM/Deep State sleeper agent.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:29 PM   #1082
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Meant to ask before and just been reminded in another thread - were there any black people in the mob? I canít recall seeing a single black person?
Found a link for Here's What It Was Like to Be a Marine Turned Journalist Capturing the US Capitol Assault

The ex-Marine, Chris Jones:courtesy-Chris-Jones-1800.jpg

The black guy who donned MAGA hat was apparently a Capitol Police officer.
courtesy-Capitol-police-MAGA-hat-1200.jpgI don't know where he got the megaphone. He may have just taken the hat off someone's head.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:32 PM   #1083
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I love when the gutless pissants get arrested and immediately show that they have no courage or convictions.

Someone who truly believes a revolution is coming wouldn't worry about going to a prison from which they'd certainly be released and hailed as a hero once the revolution was complete. Someone with conviction would be proud of their actions in the face of any potential punishment.

If one can't adhere to one's principles when times are hard, they're not really principles.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:33 PM   #1084
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

MAGAists

"Wait that was the Rubicon? You get so into marching to Rome that you never notice the little rivers and boarders isn't that funny"
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #1085
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Just asking a question here, you understand. I'm sure the Capitol has 24-hour surveillance cameras. Did they catch the person or persons who apparently ripped out the panic buttons that could have been used by the trapped representatives and staffers to call for help?
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #1086
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

Attachment 43970I don't know where he got the megaphone. He may have just taken the hat off someone's head.

That takes some guts
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:22 PM   #1087
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN just showed, in a story about the heavy military presence in the Captiol, a group of Guardsmen being tiven the stardard guided tour by one of the capitol tour guides.
As an ex grunt I wonder about things about how the soliers are being fed, etc.
I suspect almost all of the GUardsmen will have taken the damn tour in their down time.before this is over.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th January 2021 at 03:23 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:57 PM   #1088
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Found a link for Here's What It Was Like to Be a Marine Turned Journalist Capturing the US Capitol Assault

The ex-Marine, Chris Jones:Attachment 43969

Attachment 43970I don't know where he got the megaphone. He may have just taken the hat off someone's head.
The ex-Marine- turned journalist Chris Jones...I'll have a little bit of that, please.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:17 PM   #1089
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
This man indeed has some massive cojones!
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:28 PM   #1090
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'd love to hear the full story on this guy and from this guy.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #1091
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

The whole talk about unity and reconciliation reminds me of this classic cartoon. Just replace the fundie with a trumpkin.

Sorry it turned out so small. Click it and you will see it full-size.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #1092
slyjoe
Master Poster

The QAnon shaman guy (Jake Angeli) just had two additional charges added to the four he was already facing. A grand jury indictment was unsealed - turns out, if there is someone in the building entitled to Secret Service protection, there are additional charges for being in a "restricted" building, not just a federal building.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...id/4145493001/
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:08 PM   #1093
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The ex-Marine- turned journalist Chris Jones...I'll have a little bit of that, please.
Ridiculously good-looking. If he ever interviewed me I'd be making up **** just to keep him coming around.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:12 PM   #1094
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The QAnon shaman guy (Jake Angeli) just had two additional charges added to the four he was already facing. A grand jury indictment was unsealed - turns out, if there is someone in the building entitled to Secret Service protection, there are additional charges for being in a "restricted" building, not just a federal building.

One of the Military Times stories about him said his Navy career ended after two years when he refused to get an anthrax vaccination.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:13 PM   #1095
slyjoe
Master Poster

One of the Military Times stories about him said his Navy career ended after two years when he refused to get an anthrax vaccination.
And he's not eating because the jail won't give him organic food.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:19 PM   #1096
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I especially like this line:

Quote:
In a text message, Angeli told The Arizona Republic he was grateful the newspaper's story about his part in the Capitol mob correctly identified him as being a follower of the QAnon conspiracy theory and not a member of the left-wing Antifa movement, as had been rumored online.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:35 PM   #1097
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Pity the poor newsperson who sees this furry horn-hatted yahoo on TV and thinks, "Oh ****, he's one of ours."

It didn't occur to him that the spear could be a problem?

You just know that lots of these folks are going to turn out to have serious mental-health issues.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:13 PM   #1098
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Anthrax is organic, he should be allowed to eat bucketfuls of anthrax.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:17 PM   #1099
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Shrugs* If he was a Muslim terrorist the Left would be creaming themselves with rage if he wasn't given a halal diet. I fail to see the difference.

You're a terrorist eat your goddamn prison hotdog. Don't like that, eat the bun. Don't like that don't anything you won't be missed.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th January 2021 at 07:25 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:24 PM   #1100
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Shrugs* If he was a Muslim terrorist the Left would be creaming themselves without rage if he wasn't given a halal diet. I fail to see the difference.

You're a terrorist eat your goddamn prison hotdog. Don't like eat the bun. Don't like that don't anything you won't be missed.
...are you okay? You made a few more typos in there than usual. Or are you doing voice-to-text while eating? That never works out.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:25 PM   #1101
Wudang
BOFH

The horned headgear is it seems Lakota Sioux and has significant spiritual and cultural significance. It that I think cultural appropriation should be added to the charges but it does add to the list of reasons he’s a twat.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:42 PM   #1102
zorro99
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I love when the gutless pissants get arrested and immediately show that they have no courage or convictions.

Someone who truly believes a revolution is coming wouldn't worry about going to a prison from which they'd certainly be released and hailed as a hero once the revolution was complete. Someone with conviction would be proud of their actions in the face of any potential punishment.

If one can't adhere to one's principles when times are hard, they're not really principles.
Che Guevara, they are not.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:52 PM   #1103
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Shrugs* If he was a Muslim terrorist the Left would be creaming themselves with rage if he wasn't given a halal diet. I fail to see the difference.

You're a terrorist eat your goddamn prison hotdog. Don't like that, eat the bun. Don't like that don't anything you won't be missed.
i doubt that too many people feel bad for either one of them
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:14 PM   #1104
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Thatís apparently been remedied:

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:25 PM   #1105
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Check out this brainiac

This guy admitted to rioting during a TV interview.

https://youtu.be/zDKVyDQcft0
Old 13th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #1106
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

There should be a law against being a total ******* dumbass. Half the country would be in jail.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:18 PM   #1107
Wudang
BOFH

Part of Amazon’s filing against the Parler lawsuit. It’s not often I’m appalled.
https://twitter.com/raylehmann/statu...803236864?s=21

“after the firing squads are done with the politicians the teachers are next,”
Old 13th January 2021, 09:24 PM   #1108
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Part of Amazonís filing against the Parler lawsuit. Itís not often Iím appalled.
https://twitter.com/raylehmann/statu...803236864?s=21

ďafter the firing squads are done with the politicians the teachers are next,Ē
Truly is amazing. This isn't protected speech by any standard.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:39 PM   #1109
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The year is hardly two weeks old, and we already have a large number of really good contestents for the "Stupid Criminal Of The Year" award.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:44 PM   #1110
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Truly is amazing. This isn't protected speech by any standard.
I suspect a good lawyer could make a case that is so over the top that it is obviouly typerbole not meant seriously, but the point about how stupid it is is well taken.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:46 PM   #1111
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

John Harwood on Twitter: from my colleague@kaitlancollins: "John Eastman, the conservative attorney who falsely told Trump that Pence could block certification of Biden's win, is out at Chapman University where he worked, the school announced. He will retire from Chapman, effective immediately"

I don't really know who these people are, but yay for them. I'm happy to see people held accountable for peddling false, dangerous "information." I had gotten used to that NOT happening, though.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:05 PM   #1112
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I suspect a good lawyer could make a case that is so over the top that it is obviouly typerbole not meant seriously, but the point about how stupid it is is well taken.
Well, Shaman's defense is basically, "I walked through an open door." I don't know if it can even be established that the "revolutionaries" received a warning to disperse. Obviously this guy, and that Elizabeth chick, knew they were storming Congress but seem unable to grasp that it was a poor choice. And Shaman was carrying a ******* spear.

The zip-tie retired AF Lt. Col. claims he found the zip-ties on the floor. Right. Kudos to Trump for normalizing "lying your ass off 24/7 and getting away with it."

You know their defense is going to be, "I was too stupid to know better." I'm dismayed at how entitled these idiots are.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:11 PM   #1113
Venom
Illuminator

I'm surprised he was that old I assumed he skipped school to be there when I first saw that.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:16 PM   #1114
Cain
Straussian

How many of the people arrested have been confirmed as Antifa? Surely Matt Gaetz and others were not BSing when they said the unrest was caused by left-wing agitators.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:18 PM   #1115
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You gotta love a lot of the excuses. Florida firefighter Andrew Williams was arrested after a photo surfaced of him wearing a Trump 2020 hat and pointing at a placard for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi inside the US Capitol. His lawyer blamed it on Trump and the Capitol police.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:22 PM   #1116
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How many of the people arrested have been confirmed as Antifa? Surely Matt Gaetz and others were not BSing when they said the unrest was caused by left-wing agitators.
turns out even the right wing militias have a deep state
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:30 AM   #1117
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm surprised he was that old I assumed he skipped school to be there when I first saw that.
I was, too. My daughter is 27 and looks like she's in high school. I can't tell you how many times her driver's license has been challenged as being fake. She's had to bring out her credit cards and security badge from her workplace to prove her ID.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:32 AM   #1118
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, Shaman's defense is basically, "I walked through an open door." I don't know if it can even be established that the "revolutionaries" received a warning to disperse. Obviously this guy, and that Elizabeth chick, knew they were storming Congress but seem unable to grasp that it was a poor choice. And Shaman was carrying a ******* spear.

The zip-tie retired AF Lt. Col. claims he found the zip-ties on the floor. Right. Kudos to Trump for normalizing "lying your ass off 24/7 and getting away with it."

You know their defense is going to be, "I was too stupid to know better." I'm dismayed at how entitled these idiots are.
I wonder if this guy who was participating in insurrection against the US government will get to keep his AF retirement pay and benefits?
Old 14th January 2021, 02:49 AM   #1119
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Anthrax is organic, he should be allowed to eat bucketfuls of anthrax.

Only if the spores were cultivated and processed only using naturally occurring substances in accordance with 7 CFR Part 205.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:53 AM   #1120
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There should be a law against being a total ******* dumbass. Half the country would be in jail.
Hmmm, a big wall on one side, oceans on two sides...
Isn't the US already one big jail?

carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics