IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2016, 12:02 AM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

David Bowie dead / David Bowie (1947 – 2016)

Appears the Thin White Duke died a few minutes ago, apparently after an 18-month battle with cancer.
Old 11th January 2016, 12:02 AM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

David Bowie dead

I didn't even know that he was suffering cancer. I was a huge fan, and a pall of sadness has fallen.

But let this thread celebrate his contribution to modern music and culture.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 12:04 AM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Dead heat with the Atheist. Bugger. I'll ask mods to merge.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 12:04 AM   #4
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Bejaysus, the number of people dying who had an influence on my young adulthood is rising scarily.

Link on Bowie: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6805396.html
Old 11th January 2016, 12:09 AM   #5
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong...

Another music legend gone.
Old 11th January 2016, 12:23 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Any details of what from? I know he had a heart condition and I don't recall amidst all the publicity about his latest album (which even a philistine like me had listened to) any mention of new health concerns?
Old 11th January 2016, 12:26 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Ah I read a "battle" with cancer. I always admired how he separated his performance side from his private life. For such a hugely influential popular figure he was a very private individual, I could never imagine him doing a "Bowie's at home" TV show to garner publicity.
Old 11th January 2016, 12:28 AM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Far out man

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 12:32 AM   #9
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I hadn't seen his new single Lazarus.

Says it all:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th January 2016, 12:47 AM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That is actually freaked the **** out of me to Robin Williams level

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 12:53 AM   #11
angrysoba
Philosophile

David Bowie (1947 – 2016)

News:

Quote:
David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 69.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 12:55 AM   #12
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Just read about this. Sad passing of a superbly multi-talented individual.
Old 11th January 2016, 12:57 AM   #13
erwinl
Master Poster

Major Tom will fly for ever and ever.

Very sad news. I didn't always like his style of music (more not than yes), but he was a pure showman and could sing very, very well.
Old 11th January 2016, 01:15 AM   #14
Ape of Good Hope
Graduate Poster

R.I.P. (Black)Starman.
Ape of Good Hope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 01:39 AM   #15
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Another legend passes on.
Old 11th January 2016, 01:58 AM   #16
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

On one hand, it's a sad day indeed. On the other, the radio has been the best I've ever heard this morning.
Tributes from some huge names and Bowie songs.

Bye David, you'll be missed.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 02:12 AM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And another one bites the dust... damn I'm getting old. I saw David Bowie at "A Happening" in southern CA, Hollywood I think but I'm not sure. I was still in high school so that means it was in 1971 since that was his first appearance in the US.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th January 2016 at 02:24 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 02:13 AM   #18
Mister Earl
Illuminator

♫ He really made the grade... ♪

#EDIT: Shamelessly hotlinking this from Fark:

Last edited by Mister Earl; 11th January 2016 at 02:16 AM.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 02:20 AM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

With Freddie. Under Pressure.

Class Classic

Old 11th January 2016, 02:26 AM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
♫ He really made the grade... ♪

#EDIT: Shamelessly hotlinking this from Fark:

http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850...A&f=1453093200
Your link doesn't work.
Old 11th January 2016, 02:31 AM   #21
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I think someone found out I was hotlinking it. I'll see if I can save my own copy, store it, and redo it.

EDIT: I guess everyone was hotlinking the same source, it must have crashed and burnt O_o. I'll look for another.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 11th January 2016 at 02:33 AM.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 02:35 AM   #22
rickps
Thinker

This has been a particularly sad start to a new year. There will be others to farewell but right now I'm feeling particularly sad. Goodbye Ziggy.
rickps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 02:37 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This? Ah too large to post. If you want to see the gif simply paste:

http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850/2/2o/fark_2oA5-6M41jsFhcxBUsNvCfhH95c.gif?t=78LhIT3Qr5sjTw9j9yoN_ A&f=1453093200

into your browser.

It won't work as a link here for security reasons.

Last edited by Darat; 11th January 2016 at 02:39 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 02:38 AM   #24
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Here we go. I think this'll do it.

What's weird is I can't really see the picture on the computer, just my phone. At work, office filters =\
So I'm effectively doing this blind. Should be a montage of handdrawn David Bowie pictures, showing his changes through the years.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 11th January 2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11th January 2016, 02:40 AM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here we go. I think this'll do it.

http://imgur/.com/gallery/kVtjwa4

What's weird is I can't really see the picture on the computer, just my phone. At work, office filters =\
So I'm effectively doing this blind. Should be a montage of handdrawn David Bowie pictures, showing his changes through the years.
Says: webpage not available.
Old 11th January 2016, 02:42 AM   #26
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Argh. I'll just have to wait about three and a half hours to de-office and then pull the proper link. It's in my imgur account.
Old 11th January 2016, 04:03 AM   #27
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

He had the rather unique combination of being a superbly talented songwriter with an insane musical gift and genre breadth, and also an absolutely incredible and varied singer.

It's hard to imagine another like him.
Old 11th January 2016, 04:08 AM   #28
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Have been a major fan since before the Ziggy days. I grew up with Bowie and Ziggy and Aladdin Sane, literally, belting in my ears. Superb. Awesome. We will always have that music "to be played at maximum volume", as the back of the album cover says.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1200_.jpg
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 04:18 AM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Going to take a while to sink in.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 04:36 AM   #30
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The impact he made on people, no there will never be another David Bowie.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 05:34 AM   #31
applecorped
Banned

David Bowie RIP

That was unexpected
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 05:41 AM   #32
JPK
Graduate Poster

"If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie." A quote from a fan on CNN
ETA: And also from the CNN article, am I the only person who is sick to death of seeing what Kanye West tweets about every friggn thing? Mr. West doesn't belong in the same article as Bowie.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 11th January 2016 at 05:51 AM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 05:43 AM   #33
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Ah I read a "battle" with cancer. I always admired how he separated his performance side from his private life. For such a hugely influential popular figure he was a very private individual, I could never imagine him doing a "Bowie's at home" TV show to garner publicity.
He didn't need to. The man was talented enough that his work did all the necessary garnering.

My wife is a huge Bowie fan, and I will definitely miss the music.
Old 11th January 2016, 05:46 AM   #34
applecorped
Banned

He's just resting
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 05:49 AM   #35
wobs
Master Poster

Possibly the greatest artist force this country has ever produced.
Old 11th January 2016, 06:00 AM   #36
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Here we go, now done proper.

Old 11th January 2016, 07:02 AM   #37
truethat
Banned

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
That is actually freaked the **** out of me to Robin Williams level
That's my reaction as well. I thought it was one of those fake rumors. We're losing all the good ones.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 07:22 AM   #38
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Wham bam thank you mam

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 07:34 AM   #39
Jrrarglblarg

He lived long to celebrate the release of his 28th album. What an artist. He will be missed.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2016, 07:35 AM   #40
Jrrarglblarg

Here we go, now done proper.

He was like Dr Who in reverse.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events