IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags allopathy , homeopathy

Old 3rd March 2021, 11:59 AM   #241
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatm...p-replacement/

Hip replacement surgery has helped millions of people. It sucks if you're one of the few it didn't help, but to use that single experience as an excuse to condemn not only the procedure itself but the whole of modern medicine is utterly ridiculous.
FEW??? Have you been down this road? I've talked to plenty who have done joint replacements and live with the aftermath damage. And some one mentioned repeat, so traumatize the body more. Not this gal, I live with what damage was done the first time and only HOPE there will be no more. Many do end up in wheelchairs as they have been infections, metal/plastic removed, and new parts put in and it's a vicious cycle of major surgeries.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:23 PM   #242
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I don't buy stats as MOST are manipulated by and for the stat takers...I don't care about stats. I'm crippled from hip replacement and boy did I read the stats pre surgery.
Do you realize this conspiracy you imagine requires the participation of...?

* virtually every relevant federal agency
* virtually every state/local health agency
* virtually every major hospital
* John Hopkins and other universities

Never mind a high fallutin word like "stat". Would you like me to dig up the covid death count as reported directly by a county agency of your choosing, and then we compare that number to the number that John Hopkins or another data aggregator reports?
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:24 PM   #243
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

FEW???
There are some figures here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hip-replacement/risks/

5% of patients experience a loosening of the joint, less than 1% get an infection, 7% need further surgery after 13 years ...

So yes, few. Far, far more people are better off as a result of hip replacement than are worse off.
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:32 PM   #244
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

FEW??? Have you been down this road? I've talked to plenty who have done joint replacements and live with the aftermath damage. And some one mentioned repeat, so traumatize the body more. Not this gal, I live with what damage was done the first time and only HOPE there will be no more. Many do end up in wheelchairs as they have been infections, metal/plastic removed, and new parts put in and it's a vicious cycle of major surgeries.
Again I will ask the question that has yet to be answered: What was your condition BEFORE your hip replacement? Why did you have it in the first place?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:41 PM   #245
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Again I will ask the question that has yet to be answered: What was your condition BEFORE your hip replacement? Why did you have it in the first place?
I'm sure her hip was fine right up until the nasty allopathic docs got their hands on it. Then it was all downhill. She should have just stayed with her supplements.
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:50 PM   #246
sackett
Philosopher

That hugely popular book, "How to Lie With Statistics," has done a lot of harm. Simple folks latch onto the mere title and think that it's a refutation of any sort of quantification. They can get quite loud and angry -- at once scornful and frightened, I think -- if you start to use a statistical argument against them.

Proud ignorance, assertive ignorance, truculent ignorance, dangerous ignorance: that hideous strength!

Sorry, I meant to say, that piteous weakness. Aw hell, I wish it was.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 3rd March 2021 at 01:51 PM.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:52 PM   #247
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm sure her hip was fine right up until the nasty allopathic docs got their hands on it. Then it was all downhill. She should have just stayed with her supplements.
Ah, so it was a cosmetic hip replacement. Only in the USA!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:19 PM   #248
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I've nearly died twice on the operating table in operations that are considered safe outpatient procedures.
And that's completely expected.

Anti-science folk simply don't appreciate how utterly deadly the world was before science-based medicine was adopted. There's a reason why the child mortality rate before the 19th century was FIFTY percent.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:21 PM   #249
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh I ended up in the ER in the 80's from a pharma drug, that was my turningpoint on the heavy duty drug world... And 2 surgeries and if I ever go fr a knife again, I need a major head examine.

30 yrs of sciatic nerve damage from hysterectomy when I was in my early 40's.

10yrs+ of body damage from hip replacement at 72.

That's it and want NO MORE. Thank goodness I'm retired and now need to count on friends/family to get where I have an appt.

And Yes, I do all I can to avoid major drugs and surgeries NOW.
My surgeries have gone all just fine. Maybe you're just unlucky and are extrapolating from your experience to the rest of the world.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:25 PM   #250
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm not a homeopathic doctor for starters. And it's all about "like cures like"...look it up.
We've looked it up extensively through the years. Probably more than you. Homeopahy doesn't work beyond placebo. It's water and sugar pills, and nothing more. That's a mathematical fact. And if you think "water" has a memory of what molecules it's been in contact with and it doesn't kill you, I have a bridge to sell you.

Quote:
I dare you.
I dare you to read peer-reviewed articles on tests of homeopathy, rather than pro-homeopathy booklets and anecdotes. If it worked, doctors would LOVE to prescribe it.

Old 3rd March 2021, 02:29 PM   #251
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't buy stats as MOST are manipulated by and for the stat takers...
And where do you derive this little bit of knowledge?

Don't tell me: "common sense"?

Old 3rd March 2021, 03:13 PM   #252
steenkh
Philosopher

I've talked to plenty who have done joint replacements and live with the aftermath damage. And some one mentioned repeat, so traumatize the body more.
And I have talked with many who have had hip replacements, and have praised it highly. Yours and my stories are what is known as anecdotes: worthless.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:38 PM   #253
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
There are some figures here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hip-replacement/risks/

5% of patients experience a loosening of the joint, less than 1% get an infection, 7% need further surgery after 13 years ...

So yes, few. Far, far more people are better off as a result of hip replacement than are worse off.
I don't buy your numbers, I don't buy numbers period..so much we don't know that goes on in the world anyway and to count on numbers???? omg...
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:41 PM   #254
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
And I have talked with many who have had hip replacements, and have praised it highly. Yours and my stories are what is known as anecdotes: worthless.
How many is many? I've been on replacement forums from all over the world, and talked and hear stories from MANY MANY MANY and I don't have a count...

How many have your talked to? What is your Many?
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:47 PM   #255
SezMe
post-pre-born

You avoid those numbers, eh? Do you ever balance your checkbook? Count the number of pineapple chunks to put on your pizza? Estimate how much longer you can drive before needing to fill up again? Look at the clock? Count you homeopathic pills?

Yeah, me neither. Numbers are so 60s, right?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:15 PM   #256
EHocking
Philosopher

I don't buy your numbers, I don't buy numbers period..so much we don't know that goes on in the world anyway and to count on numbers???? omg...
i think you’re overplaying the Poe angle on your trolling now.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:36 PM   #257
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

How many is many? I've been on replacement forums from all over the world, and talked and hear stories from MANY MANY MANY and I don't have a count...

You understand that the people who frequent such forums are overwhelmingly going to be from the small percentage who have problems, whilst the vast majority who are fine just get on with enjoying their better quality of life?

Of course you don't understand that. You think that anecdotes are a more reliable source of information than rigorously collected and audited numbers. Which is just about the wrongest of wrong things it is possible to believe.
Old 4th March 2021, 12:30 AM   #258
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure whether to scold people for beating up a 10 yr old or laugh at being duped by a troll....but this at least had mild entertainment value (briefly).

Well I'm off to take my ginko balboa and deer antler supplements.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 04:55 AM   #259
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Immediately followed by:

'How many' is a question generally answered with a number.
Why ask for something you have already said you won't accept as an answer?

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
i think you’re overplaying the Poe angle on your trolling now.
I think you may be on to something there.
Old 4th March 2021, 05:21 AM   #260
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I'm not sure whether to scold people for beating up a 10 yr old or laugh at being duped by a troll....but this at least had mild entertainment value (briefly).

Actually a self-proclaimed octogenarian. And there are web sites (Caroline13 gets all her "information" on line so that must be a reliable source) that tell us what happens to the brains of persons of advanced age, right?

But yeah, I think these posts are intended primarily for entertainment purposes.
Old 4th March 2021, 07:20 AM   #261
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Actually a self-proclaimed octogenarian.
Age ain't nothin' but a number.

You kids think you're so clever with your "data" and your "facts" and your "statistics". Well. Get off my lawn of "Truths". Or something.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:02 AM   #262
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course there is a huge selection bias in those forums, because people with good results like my mom, grandfather, and several coworkers don't go on forums to talk about their experiences.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:06 AM   #263
Carrot Flower King
Muse

This from someone who has already demonstrated that they don't know how the NHS works...Nor how science works...

We're not selling you the NHS data (we already have a government that would like to do that), but it is real and carefully collated by the likes of me or my sister and hosts of other clinicians filling in loadsa forms with loadsa data points and outcome codes and all sorts. We have one of the best healthcare data sets in the world, which is precisely why so many drug companies and private healcare providers are keen to get their mitts on it.

And I've already trumped your hip anecdote with my parents' careers - their anecdotal experience would tie with the figures you "don't buy".
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:09 AM   #264
sackett
Philosopher

Naw, Carenline's got a point. Watch out for them numbers. They can add up to trouble.

sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:11 AM   #265
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Several of us have made comments about the possible nature of certain posters, but we got banished for being too specific.

And as specific responses to specific claims are never answered by the claimee, I'm tending to view it as a general rebuttal or refutation or whatever, just to keep the record straight.
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:14 AM   #266
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Naw, Carenline's got a point. Watch out for them numbers. They can add up to trouble.
Naaah, they add up to nothing. Especially if red means run, son.
Old 4th March 2021, 09:44 AM   #267
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't buy your numbers, I don't buy numbers period.
Of course you don't. You've convinced yourself that real data is fake data and that your feelings are real data.

You've managed to insulate yourself from reality.

Old 4th March 2021, 02:42 PM   #268
steenkh
Philosopher

I thought you did not like numbers?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 05:08 AM   #269
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I thought you did not like numbers?
So, kind of what I asked yesterday, then:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Immediately followed by:

'How many' is a question generally answered with a number.
Why ask for something you have already said you won't accept as an answer?

I think you may be on to something there.
Old 5th March 2021, 05:39 AM   #270
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I take it you are familiar with the term "chew-toy"? It's sorta fun watching them dig themselves deeper into very hole they started in, in the vain hope they can convince us they will come out in China. Like so many before.

Quote:
Want to fell (ahem) horny, eh?
Old 5th March 2021, 12:29 PM   #271
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Age ain't nothin' but a number.

You kids think you're so clever with your "data" and your "facts" and your "statistics". Well. Get off my lawn of "Truths". Or something.
When I hear that from people's mouth, it's nothing but a number, I can about scream....

Oh if I could only do what I did at the numbers 40, 50 and 60's...I'd be in heaven or pretty high.
Old 5th March 2021, 12:32 PM   #272
Caroline13
Muse

I take it you are familiar with the term "chew-toy"? It's sorta fun watching them dig themselves deeper into very hole they started in, in the vain hope they can convince us they will come out in China. Like so many before.

Want to fell (ahem) horny, eh?
Norman, I took some deer antler supps years back and then when a great doc did labs on DHEA, and found how the tank was pretty low, I've been taking DHEA for over 20 yrs..he tested me at the age of 60, DHEA starts to decline at about 20 on.

I may have a thread here on Libido and DHEA or maybe it's on another group I'm on.

Why isn't there a thread like:

Other Than Allopathic Medicine

Last edited by Caroline13; 5th March 2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 5th March 2021, 01:30 PM   #273
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Norman, I took some deer antler supps years back and then when a great doc did labs on DHEA, and found how the tank was pretty low, I've been taking DHEA for over 20 yrs..he tested me at the age of 60, DHEA starts to decline at about 20 on.
Whatever supplements you are taking, you look to be taking too much. Would you like to wait until the effect wears off and then form these words into a coherent sentence?

Quote:
I may have a thread here on Libido and DHEA or maybe it's on another group I'm on.
Planet, not group.

Quote:

All the other threads here are "other than allopathic medicine". There's no such thing as "allopathic" medicine. That is entirely a made-up theory by homeopaths, like "fairy dust". Thought that had been made clear to you. Clearly you need more practice in comprehension.
Old 5th March 2021, 02:51 PM   #274
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

When I hear that from people's mouth, it's nothing but a number, I can about scream....

Oh if I could only do what I did at the numbers 40, 50 and 60's...I'd be in heaven or pretty high.
Hmm. I thought you were the one who didn't buy numbers.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 07:04 AM   #275
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Because nobody started one. You can do it, if you want one.

Hans
Old 6th March 2021, 09:11 AM   #276
Mojo
Mostly harmless

There's no such thing as "allopathic" medicine. That is entirely a made-up theory by homeopaths, like "fairy dust".

Well, not quite. The medicine that Hahnemann derided as “allopathic” was based on the concept of balancing ‘humours’, and the idea that introducing an opposite effect would cure the patient. Modern medicine doesn’t do this, of course, but there are systems that rely on the same ideas still in use. In India, for example, they have Ayurveda and Unani. Ayurveda calls its humours “doshas”, and has three of them instead of four, but the founding principle is the same. Unani is in fact essentially the same Hippocratic/Galenic medicine that prescientific European medicine was based on. Ironically, they are both administered by the same Indian government department as homeopathy.

See also TCM, although that only has two humours.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 6th March 2021 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Autocorrect!
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 09:18 AM   #277
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Searching the forum for threads tagged with “homeopathy” finds 500 of them.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 09:58 AM   #278
sackett
Philosopher

Caroline13, you'd love our old pal Kumar. Better than anybody else ever did.

Old 7th March 2021, 11:26 AM   #279
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure that approach works like a charm for managing your finances.

Last edited by CORed; 7th March 2021 at 11:31 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 07:34 PM   #280
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Are you thinking of the 1955 Beecher “powerful placebo” paper?
Again, I do not recall the specific details. I'm pretty sure this is one of the ones that were discussed over the course of many episodes. There were others. An example is below.

Placebo is not bad in itself. There are many conditions that cannot be helped, but if a placebo treatment helps, then that is much better than no treatment at all.
Except when you take into account measurable outcomes, rather than subjective self-reports.

There was an asthma study where placebo inhalers were tested against ones with active ingredients. Again, no cite because I'm going from memory. It was widely reported that the people in the placebo group had significant improvement over the control group. Except that what improved was the patients' self-report of their condition. When actual lung function was measured, there was no difference. The only thing that actually changed is that the patients said that they felt better even when by objective measures there was no significant improvement.

So yeah, I guess you could say that people thinking they feel better is a better outcome than people not thinking they feel better, but surely actual improvement is what we're interested in?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology