IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alcohol issues , France issues , police issues

Old 22nd April 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

French riot police threaten to strike over alcohol ban

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...cohol-ban.html

Originally Posted by above link
They were wearing body armour and carrying weapons as they sipped from beer and wine bottles. Some were also smoking.
Didier Mangione, national secretary of the police union, said bosses were "trying to turn us into priests, but without the altar wine".
"Nobody should object to a small drink on jobs," he said.
The above sounds totally alien to me in the UK and I guess it would raise eyebrows in the US too. Are there any posters from other countries where policeman drinking on duty would be acceptable as Government policy?
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:17 PM   #2
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Matty1973 View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...cohol-ban.html

The above sounds totally alien to me in the UK and I guess it would raise eyebrows in the US too. Are there any posters from other countries where policeman drinking on duty would be acceptable as Government policy?
Royal Navy Police?

It's only fairly recently that the tradition of a beer at lunch time has dissapeared from most jobs.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matty1973 View Post
The above sounds totally alien to me in the UK and I guess it would raise eyebrows in the US too.
In the US, it's definitely unacceptable for police officers to drink alcohol while on the job.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
dtugg
Banned

Wow. The French will strike over anything. And yeah, police drinking on the job is completely unacceptable. It is actually pretty shocking that cops in France think they should be able to.
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:22 AM   #5
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Drinking alcohol on any job is not acceptable.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Anyone know what the legal situation is in the UK? I can't think of any job I've had were such drinking would be a breach of contract (unless it impacted on aspects of the job), indeed in two companies I've instituted a company paid for Friday afternoon beer company wide.
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

OK firstly this is not the police. This is the riot police. So if I recall correctely the law your average policeman is not allowed to drink during service (although the average worker is allowed to drink during its midday meal by law). But the riot police during their deplacement were proposed with their cold meal a a red wine or a bier.

The french article I saw said nothing about strike, only that the syndicat would check for action (there are other action than strike you know).

By the way the 1/4 red wine or the bier is the maximum which by law any worker is allowed during their meal.

That said, I don't think it is a good idea to allow alcohol in any quantity to somebody which has a weapon, is about to use it (they were getting that alcohol at a mission place so where there is a riot).
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 04:59 AM   #8
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Anyone know what the legal situation is in the UK? I can't think of any job I've had were such drinking would be a breach of contract (unless it impacted on aspects of the job), indeed in two companies I've instituted a company paid for Friday afternoon beer company wide.
The tradition of a Friday afternoon "borrel" ("drinkies") has been kept up in most of the companies I've worked for here in the Netherlands. Usually the stuff is sponsored by the company. Only one, an American company (which I left quickly), banned all booze in the office.
The last software company I worked for here even had a little bar with a free "beer" pump ("beer" in scare quotes, because it was actually Heineken). I kept a bottle of home-made Austrian Peach schnapps and a bottle of Bowmore 30 on my desk, which I sampled and shared regularly.

Visiting a client in the UK once I joined him in sinking four pints of Guinness at lunchtime (my Dutch colleague wimped out).

OT. I've seen Dutch cops smoking stogies in public. My old man (an ex British cop) was not amused.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:11 AM   #9
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

Any job? Bartender? Stripper? Fortune teller? Phone sex operator? There are some jobs for which drinking does make sense.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:22 AM   #10
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Any job? Bartender? Stripper? Fortune teller? Phone sex operator? There are some jobs for which drinking does make sense.
Are you sure every one you mentioned qualifies?

"Ooh, honey,*GULP* now I'm *GULP* softly caressing my *BURRRRP*"
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:32 AM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

We always have beer and wine in the fridge at work, for those times when someone declares Impromptu Drinks.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:24 AM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Are you sure every one you mentioned qualifies?

"Ooh, honey,*GULP* now I'm *GULP* softly caressing my *BURRRRP*"
That's why you drink hard liquor when you're working the phone sex lines. You can sip it, and there's no carbonation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Tatyana
Illuminator

People in my lab still go to the pub at lunch time.

I have had a drink at lunch, I was far too sleepy in the afternoon to make it a regular habit.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post

I have had a drink at lunch, I was far too sleepy in the afternoon to make it a regular habit.
When I was working in an office, a friend and I went down to a bar for lunch every other day. If I indulged in second or third pints, I'd conk out for about a half-hour when we got back to work. Neither my boss nor the owner of the company had a problem with it though, since my friend and I tended to be 3-5x more productive than any other employee. The owner did nudge me once, but that was because she didn't like hearing me snore.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:21 AM   #15
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

I can understand the private sector allowing it at their discretion. It surprises me that any Government department would allow it - especially the police - double especially armed police! No one so far has suggested another country which would allow this so may be it is just the French.
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:48 AM   #16
sadhatter
Philosopher

The way i see it either...

A) Your drinking to get the small buzz you get from drinking. In which case i do not want any professional ( police, doctor, lawyer, Pharmacist, etc.) doing it. Regardless of how little your judgment is effected, it is effected.

B) Your not getting any buzz whatsoever, due to either tolerance or physical make up. And it is pointless to get this angry about it. Have a soda, it is cheaper, tastes better and won't get you in trouble. Heck, if you just are morally opposed to soda, have an energy drink. Like a beer, but it makes you more, not less able to do your job ( though, not as able as the companies would have you believe.)

Either way i find this a silly thing for the officers to strike over. If i can practically change my entire free time routine to be a pharmacist, these whiners ( sorry but i really feel this is simply whining.) can avoid the beer at lunch.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:49 AM   #17
sadhatter
Philosopher

The way i see it either...

A) Your drinking to get the small buzz you get from drinking. In which case i do not want any professional ( police, doctor, lawyer, Pharmacist, etc.) doing it. Regardless of how little your judgment is effected, it is effected.

B) Your not getting any buzz whatsoever, due to either tolerance or physical make up. And it is pointless to get this angry about it. Have a soda, it is cheaper, tastes better and won't get you in trouble. Heck, if you just are morally opposed to soda, have an energy drink. Like a beer, but it makes you more, not less able to do your job ( though, not as able as the companies would have you believe.)

Either way i find this a silly thing for the officers to strike over. If i can practically change my entire free time routine to be a pharmacist, these whiners ( sorry but i really feel this is simply whining.) can avoid the beer at lunch.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:57 AM   #18
MG1962

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
When I was working in an office, a friend and I went down to a bar for lunch every other day. If I indulged in second or third pints, I'd conk out for about a half-hour when we got back to work. Neither my boss nor the owner of the company had a problem with it though, since my friend and I tended to be 3-5x more productive than any other employee. The owner did nudge me once, but that was because she didn't like hearing me snore.
Sleeping with the boss huh?
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:08 PM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post

In Australia your lunch time is not paid, so theoretically you can do what you want. When I worked for Victoria Police I had many a boozy lunch with (out of uniform) coppers, including the Chief Commissioner. Nowadays, however, most companies Occupational Health and Safety policies prohibit drinking at lunch as it can effect performance and therefore safety (this is not my argument). These policies are often ignored, particularly on Friday.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:14 PM   #20
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I know some strippers who would disagree with that...
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:22 PM   #21
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Aside from driving* which may be required during your employment, anything which impedes the safe use of machinery would not be a good idea, and I imagine could leave an employer open to litigation should an accident occur where alcohol consumption is a factor.

* - Brewery delivery drivers and helpers I'm told would often have a pint in the premises after dropping off the order, though by the time I started in the licensed trade, I think the practice had pretty much died out. Obviously it's thirsty work, and if you were only in charge of a couple of dray horses, then the potential for disaster might not be too high. But a twenty-ton truck? Yikes!
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:45 PM   #22
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Sleeping with the boss huh?
I drew the short straw that day...hence the drinking.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:49 PM   #23
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Anyone know what the legal situation is in the UK?
The health and safety people will have a fit if the job involves machinery or interesting chemicals.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 06:08 PM   #24
vwgub
Muse

In the U.S. it is not illegal to drink on the job unless you are a goverment employee. But FSM help you if you get in an accident that hurts others while your on the job and you have any detectable drug level.
Old 23rd April 2011, 06:14 PM   #25
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by geni View Post
The health and safety people will have a fit if the job involves machinery or interesting chemicals.
Talking of which, and sorry for the derail, but this is a fascinating blog:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives...ont_work_with/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events