IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th June 2020, 10:15 AM   #2401
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Except for one tiny little thing: Unless they're run entirely by partisan hacks, courts generally want to hear reasons (they prefer good ones) for wildly unusual actions taken by government officials. This action is such a naked attempt to politicize the Justice Department that if it goes to court it will be pretty tough for a judge not to tell Barr to GTFO.

It's particularly unclothed given that the process was kicked off by the bald-faced lie that Berman was "stepping down." There's simply no getting around the obvious untruth of those words. It's passive-aggressive ******** that was almost certainly generated because there was some question as to whether Trump or Barr could fire film outright. The hope was likely that Berman would get the message and go away quietly, perhaps in the belief that fighting it would be more trouble than it's worth. Instead, they've given him the opportunity to parlay their ******** into a big step towards higher office by being the underdog crime-fighting hero.
That's true. I said it was a "losing" case, but I just meant that, ultimately, Barr/Trump will come out on top. Even if a judge rules that you can't fire him, he's still answerable to the executive branch, so they can certainly pull his funding or in other ways restrict his actions. He said his investigations will continue. I'm pretty sure Barr can make certain that doesn't happen.

However, on a personal level, that could end up a "win" for Berman, and if they overplay their hand as a loss for Trump/Barr.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 10:30 AM   #2402
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That's true. I said it was a "losing" case, but I just meant that, ultimately, Barr/Trump will come out on top. Even if a judge rules that you can't fire him, he's still answerable to the executive branch, so they can certainly pull his funding or in other ways restrict his actions. He said his investigations will continue. I'm pretty sure Barr can make certain that doesn't happen.
I get what you're saying, but pulling funding from ongoing investigations while/after fighting the US attorney presiding over those investigations is loud. What they wanted was to force a quiet resignation followed by quietly telling a [hopefully] compliant deputy to end/fatally slow down any politically undesirable cases. That would be followed by confirming the appointment of a replacement who would be just in time to announce a new groundbreaking investigation into one or more of Trump's political enemies.
Quote:
However, on a personal level, that could end up a "win" for Berman, and if they overplay their hand as a loss for Trump/Barr.
I think he's already got the personal win. If he's not running for a senate seat or a governorship in the next 2-4 years, I'll be shocked.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 12:16 PM   #2403
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Geoffrey Berman, Attorney for the SDNY, is getting replaced by Barr.
This would have nothing to do with him going after Guiliani's band or merry miscreants, would it?
Keeping mind that Berman was not some democrat... He actually donated to Trump's 2016 campaign.

I wonder if he can get his money back?

https://abc7ny.com/geoffrey-berman-r...trump/6257478/

(Admittedly it does reduce the sympathy I have for Berman... He supported an obvious conman for president... Did he think he would be immune to Trump's corruption?)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:09 PM   #2404
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Barr has told Berman that Trump has fired him. However, it's very unclear as to whether Trump has that right. This could end up at the Supreme Court.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rr/3229354001/

ETA: Why am I not surprised that Trump wants to replace Berman with someone who has no prosecutorial experience?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 20th June 2020 at 01:11 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:23 PM   #2405
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The concept of obstruction of justice means nothing any more, does it?
Old 20th June 2020, 01:26 PM   #2406
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Not in this administration.

If Biden wins, I expect Barr will be among the very first to go.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:44 PM   #2407
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Let's hope it means something to the voters that matter.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:44 PM   #2408
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Being a cabinet posting, the Attorney general always leaves when a president is replaced. He will leave at the same time Trump does.

(Well, unless he resigns or gets fired early.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:49 PM   #2409
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Being a cabinet posting, the Attorney general always leaves when a president is replaced. He will leave at the same time Trump does.

Traditionally cabinet members resign when the new President takes office. Traditionally. I can well imagine them all refusing to do so, just to make trouble. There's nothing traditional about this administration.
Old 22nd June 2020, 07:19 PM   #2410
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Quote:

Traditionally cabinet members resign when the new President takes office. Traditionally. I can well imagine them all refusing to do so, just to make trouble. There's nothing traditional about this administration.
I agree that this current administration is basically breaking all the norms for how the government should work.

But I really don't think cabinet members are able to stay on past the end of the president's term. These are not career public servants, they are individuals selected by the president to act as his personal advisors/minions/etc. They are members of the executive branch, which is identified with the president. It would make no sense for them to NEED to get fired after the president leaves office.

(I attempted to google anything about cabinet members having to officially resign at the end of the president's term but could find nothing. Perhaps you have some reference to back up your point?)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:00 PM   #2411
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I've seen people paraphrasing his response as "Go **** yourself."

https://i.imgur.com/0Uv5Je6.jpg
Did no one proofread that release? Yikes!
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:37 PM   #2412
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Did no one proofread that release? Yikes!
Aside from an odd placement and perhaps overuse of commas in one sentence, I don't see a problem with it. I understand the phrasing he was trying to portray, but it is awkward reading at best.
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:34 PM   #2413
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I agree that this current administration is basically breaking all the norms for how the government should work.

But I really don't think cabinet members are able to stay on past the end of the president's term. These are not career public servants, they are individuals selected by the president to act as his personal advisors/minions/etc. They are members of the executive branch, which is identified with the president. It would make no sense for them to NEED to get fired after the president leaves office.

(I attempted to google anything about cabinet members having to officially resign at the end of the president's term but could find nothing. Perhaps you have some reference to back up your point?)
Even if they refuse to resign, once the new President takes office he can just fire them. They serve at the President's pleasure.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:40 AM   #2414
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Yes. The GOP will accuse Biden of putting in a partisan loyalist to replace a perfectly fine AG. In fact, everything Trump's doing will be projected onto Biden. They'll call Biden a dictator, authoritarian, corrupt politician, and con artists. They'll accuse him of appointing cronies and yes-men, of racism, and of dividing the nation.

That's their standard MO, but it'll be on steroids after Trump loses.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:50 AM   #2415
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not off hand, I'd have to do some digging.

The other problem a Dem President is likely certain to have is getting the Senate to confirm his choices, especially if the R's retain control.
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:17 AM   #2416
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You won't find anything because there is no requirement to resign. In fact, cabinet members could remain in office indefinitely if they don't resign and aren't fired.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:55 AM   #2417
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The other problem a Dem President is likely certain to have is getting the Senate to confirm his choices, especially if the R's retain control.
Yes,.a GOP controlled senate could ensure that any role that requires confirmation remains unfilled regardless of the candidate. They're also the kind of people to do it too.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:07 AM   #2418
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes,.a GOP controlled senate could ensure that any role that requires confirmation remains unfilled regardless of the candidate. They're also the kind of people to do it too.
He could just put people in the positions on an interim basis, like Trump has done.
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:28 AM   #2419
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect that even with a Democratic majority, the Republicans will try to filibuster every appointment, unless the Dems get smart and just do away with the filibuster entirely. If the Republicans hold a Senate majority, I expect they will go to full scale obstruction of just about everything Biden or the House initiate, be it legislation or appointments, just as they did during most of the Obama administration.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:20 PM   #2420
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You won't find anything because there is no requirement to resign. In fact, cabinet members could remain in office indefinitely if they don't resign and aren't fired.

I think (don't 'know') that it is customary for cabinet members to off their resignations to an incoming president. It's up to him whether he wants to accept them or not.

There are good reasons why a chief executive of good conscience and sincere motives might solicit the advice and support of experts who were not ideologically and politically aligned with his own personal beliefs, and accept their contributions without prejudice.

Sadly, Trump has not been one such. And it is doubtful that he will have left anyone in his cabinet who could offer any value to his replacement.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:23 PM   #2421
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I suspect that even with a Democratic majority, the Republicans will try to filibuster every appointment, unless the Dems get smart and just do away with the filibuster entirely. If the Republicans hold a Senate majority, I expect they will go to full scale obstruction of just about everything Biden or the House initiate, be it legislation or appointments, just as they did during most of the Obama administration.

So Biden will have a large collection of "acting" cabinet members,etc..

Thankfully for him there has been an abundance of recent precedent for that.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:28 PM   #2422
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
So Biden will have a large collection of "acting" cabinet members,etc..

Thankfully for him there has been an abundance of recent precedent for that.
It won't stop the GOP from complaining about it as if it's never happened before.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:58 PM   #2423
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I think (don't 'know') that it is customary for cabinet members to off their resignations to an incoming president. It's up to him whether he wants to accept them or not.
Yes, it is customary. It's even customary for cabinet officers to offer re-elected presidents their resignations. That way, the president has the option to appoint new cabinet officers without the PR baggage of firing them or specifically requesting their resignations.

Still, let's hypothesize that the current attorney general was a brilliant, supremely ethical lawyer whom the next president would love to remain in that office. There's nothing stopping said next president from talking with said honorable AG and the two of them agreeing that there will be no resignation or firing and that this great, totally fictional AG would continue serving in that office.

The most famous and notorious example of indefinite (de facto lifetime) appointment isn't a cabinet-level position, but J. Edgar Hoover was the director of the FBI (and its predecessor) for 48 years until he [thankfully] died.
Old 24th June 2020, 07:47 AM   #2424
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Obama kept Gates on as Defense Secretary.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 10:10 AM   #2425
d4m10n
Philosopher

In recent days the DOJ has lost Brian A. Benczkowski (head of the criminal division), Joseph H. Hunt (head of the civil division) and Noel J. Francisco, solicitor general.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/u...jody-hunt.html

https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/stat...22799436832769

I've no idea why these guys are scurrying off the ship of state in rapid succession, presumably they have their reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by d4m10n; 24th June 2020 at 10:12 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:05 AM   #2426
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-camp...041455477.html

This particular lackey assured Trump that the recent Tulsa stadium event would be overflowing with Trump supporters, it turned out that the Tulsa stadium was less than half full of Trump supporters.

Therefore, Michael Glassner has been flushed from his job and replaced with a different Trump lackey.

Trump campaign shakes up top staff after Tulsa rally debacle

Trump campaign chief operating officer Michael Glassner, who had been heavily involved in planning the presidentís rallies, has been replaced by Trump's 2016 Arizona chair Jeff DeWit, a major shakeup at the top of the presidentís campaign following the Tulsa rally debacle and four months from Election Day, multiple sources tell ABC News.

The shake up and Glassnerís reassignment are in part a result of how badly things went in Tulsa, sources tell ABC News.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:08 PM   #2427
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The Trump Admin should have an official motto.
Something like...
"No time like the present for updating the ol' resume."

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:40 AM   #2428
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Just remember the Trump Admin Mission Statement: Don't **** it up...Full Stop.

[Thank you, Rue Paul]
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:45 AM   #2429
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-camp...041455477.html

This particular lackey assured Trump that the recent Tulsa stadium event would be overflowing with Trump supporters, it turned out that the Tulsa stadium was less than half full of Trump supporters.

Therefore, Michael Glassner has been flushed from his job and replaced with a different Trump lackey.

Trump campaign shakes up top staff after Tulsa rally debacle

Trump campaign chief operating officer Michael Glassner, who had been heavily involved in planning the presidentís rallies, has been replaced by Trump's 2016 Arizona chair Jeff DeWit, a major shakeup at the top of the presidentís campaign following the Tulsa rally debacle and four months from Election Day, multiple sources tell ABC News.

The shake up and Glassnerís reassignment are in part a result of how badly things went in Tulsa, sources tell ABC News.

So a different monkey ******* the same football.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2020, 11:46 AM   #2430
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Geoffrey Berman, Attorney for the SDNY, is getting replaced by Barr.
This would have nothing to do with him going after Guiliani's band or merry miscreants, would it?
Related to that:

The Eastern District of New York has a new U.S. attorney. Seth DuCharme, a former senior official at Justice Department headquarters...was sworn in Friday by the district’s chief federal judge...Rich Donoghue, the former head of that office, resigned Friday. ...Donoghue will take a new role in Washington...DuCharme, meanwhile, is back in his old stomping ground. Before his stint at Main Justice, he was chief of the Criminal Division of the Brooklyn U.S. Attorney’s Office. He also was counsel to Barr, advising him on national security issues.

Notice what was missing? Confirmation by the senate (along with the traditional veto power given over attorneys to senators from the state).

So, Barr has once again managed to install one of "his own" people in what could be a key legal position (just as he did in washington, and just as he tried to do in the southern district of NY.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th July 2020, 07:22 PM   #2431
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trumps campaign manager sacked.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...-brad-parscale
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 10:35 PM   #2432
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Any original players left in the team? Miller is the only one I can think of.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 04:59 AM   #2433
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Almost enough to make you feel sorry for him.

After all, Trump's unpopularity results from things trump himself has done. And even if Parscale had some great plan to reverse the decline, it is doubtful Trump would actually listen.

But then I realize he openly supports a racist con-artist, and realize that he deserves the humiliation.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 16th July 2020, 11:25 AM   #2434
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Any original players left in the team? Miller is the only one I can think of.
Other than Miller, no one outside the family comes to mind...

Last edited by d4m10n; 16th July 2020 at 11:28 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 11:52 AM   #2435
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Who is that guy, anyhow? And will he survive the convention?
Old 23rd August 2020, 09:09 PM   #2436
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Catching this one up.

Have we mentioned Herman Cain? In the Survivor game, he...well...didn't.
Old 23rd August 2020, 09:10 PM   #2437
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

And as noted elsewhere, Kellyanne Conway.

I actually admire her for keeping a straight face for so long.
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:19 PM   #2438
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
And as noted elsewhere, Kellyanne Conway.I actually admire her for keeping a straight face for so long.
I'm going to miss Kellyanne's exquisite taste in fashion inspired by the USA's war of independence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kellyanne Conway.jpg (10.8 KB, 93 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:22 PM   #2439
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I'm going to miss Kellyanne's exquisite taste in fashion inspired by the USA's war of independence.
You know how the British redcoats had a big white cross on their uniforms to act as a target?

...about that hat!
Old 24th August 2020, 06:59 AM   #2440
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I loved that outfit. Cosplay comes to the White House. Very fashionable and expensive cosplay, but cosplay nonetheless.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics