IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd November 2020, 12:47 PM   #2481
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I heard that The PDJT can't actually fire Dr. Fauci -- that has to come from another boss. Of course, Trump would never do it face-to-face himself anyway.
I'm sure Fauci is on the Senior Executive Schedule. They don't serve at the pleasure of the president but don't have all the rights of the General Schedule employees (GS 15 and below). When I was in government I never made it that far, nor did I aspire to so I never really looked into the differences.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 05:33 PM   #2482
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Does it count for the purposes of White House Survivor if there's no break in service? If Trump fires Fauci on Wednesday and Biden hires him for the transition team on Thursday, did he really get fired?
The problem is, even if he loses, Trump will remain in office until the new year. This will give him roughly 2 months where he can fire individuals (including Fauci). Even if Biden hires him back, that's still several months where he is out of work (and could possibly find alternate employment.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:50 PM   #2483
dirtywick
Illuminator

Well it’s not like they’re following his advice anyway.

I’m sure Biden could give him a call and ask him to stand back and stand by
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 10:53 AM   #2484
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Defense Secretary Esper fired, by Twitter. The PDJT now has an Acting Secretary of Defense -- two months before he is out of office. I guess that answers my question in another thread if he could still appoint Acting admins.

Well, I'm sure he was so pissed off he felt like he had to fire someone.

Last edited by alfaniner; 9th November 2020 at 10:56 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 10:54 AM   #2485
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

As we are approaching the final days of the Trump administration, an opportunity presents itself for prognostication.

Who do you think will be the last person fired by Trump before they all leave office? Bonus points for calling date.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 9th November 2020 at 11:01 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:27 AM   #2486
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Overcome with holiday spirit, Festivus begins early.
Old 9th November 2020, 11:58 AM   #2487
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
As we are approaching the final days of the Trump administration, an opportunity presents itself for prognostication.

Who do you think will be the last person fired by Trump before they all leave office? Bonus points for calling date.
I would not be the least bit surprised if he fired everyone. Date: 19-Jan.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 12:25 PM   #2488
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Please, oh Lord of Providential Coincidence, let it be Jared.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2020, 01:28 PM   #2489
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I would not be the least bit surprised if he fired everyone. Date: 19-Jan.
He'll be sitting on his throne in the Oval Office, with no one else in the entire building, shouting to the walls -- "I'm the King of the World!!!"
Old 9th November 2020, 02:16 PM   #2490
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Defense Secretary Esper fired, by Twitter. The PDJT now has an Acting Secretary of Defense -- two months before he is out of office. I guess that answers my question in another thread if he could still appoint Acting admins.

Has he ordered the execution of Fegelein yet?

(Movie "Downfall" reference, but not part of the usually parodied rant sequence.)
Old 9th November 2020, 02:56 PM   #2491
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am betting Fauci is next.
I also bet within ten minutes of Fauci being fired, he gets a phone call from Biden, basically offereing him choice of Health related jobs in a Biden Adminstration.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:16 PM   #2492
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There seem to be indications that Esper was going to resign today. Trump couldn't tolerate that so preemptively fired him.

Rather than guess who will be the last fired, perhaps we should have a poll as to how many. I'm guessing about 100. After all, the only rational reason for the E.O. about senior civil servants is to allow him to fire them.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:40 PM   #2493
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There seem to be indications that Esper was going to resign today. Trump couldn't tolerate that so preemptively fired him.

Rather than guess who will be the last fired, perhaps we should have a poll as to how many. I'm guessing about 100. After all, the only rational reason for the E.O. about senior civil servants is to allow him to fire them.
The Tweet is mightier than the pen.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:23 PM   #2494
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Gina Haspel, the CIA Director, may be next. FBI Director Wray is also rumored to be on the chopping block. The Reign of Terror may have nothing on Trump's Lame Duck period.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 9th November 2020 at 05:32 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:24 PM   #2495
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The Tweet is mightier than the pen.
Looks like Tweetie Bird has struck again.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:27 PM   #2496
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Looks like Gina Haspel, the CIA Director, may be next. FBI Director Wray is also rumored to be on the chopping block. The Reign of Terror may have nothing of Trump's Lame Duck period.
Aside from heads remaining attached, of course.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #2497
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Gina Haspel, the CIA Director, may be next. FBI Director Wray is also rumored to be on the chopping block. The Reign of Terror may have nothing of Trump's Lame Duck period.
What a guy. I wonder if this is the pension thing. I don't remember who it was, maybe Comey? Rosenberg? someone, that he fired deliberately a couple of days before he would have qualified to receive a pension benefit of some sort. Trump fired him just so he could take that away.

What a putz.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #2498
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Aside from heads remaining attached, of course.
Mere details, my boy, mere details.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:45 PM   #2499
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I also bet within ten minutes of Fauci being fired, he gets a phone call from Biden, basically offereing him choice of Health related jobs in a Biden Adminstration.
I expect that phone call, and ones to any others worth retaining, happened late last week.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:16 PM   #2500
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
What a guy. I wonder if this is the pension thing. I don't remember who it was, maybe Comey? Rosenberg? someone, that he fired deliberately a couple of days before he would have qualified to receive a pension benefit of some sort. Trump fired him just so he could take that away.

What a putz.
I believe it was Andrew McCabe
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:17 PM   #2501
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Not saying that America's enemies should attack between now and Jan 20, but they probably won't get a better opportunity.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:18 PM   #2502
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Wrong!

Thirty seconds.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:38 AM   #2503
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The problem is, even if he loses, Trump will remain in office until the new year. This will give him roughly 2 months where he can fire individuals (including Fauci). Even if Biden hires him back, that's still several months where he is out of work (and could possibly find alternate employment.)
Trump has to have HHS fire Fauci for cause and he has options for redress. The president can't simply order him to be fired.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:20 AM   #2504
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Overnight:
DOJ's top voter fraud official resigns in protest of Barr's order.
Pentagon's top policy official resigns as well.
Old 10th November 2020, 10:35 AM   #2505
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

... and both send their CV to Biden on the very same day I imagine.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:26 AM   #2506
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Just for clarity's sake, here we call that a "resumé".
Old 10th November 2020, 11:52 AM   #2507
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The DOJ person at least isn't leaving the DOJ, just that position.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 08:34 AM   #2508
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

This one does cause me some concern. Is Trump going to try a military coup if his claims of fraud fail to keep him in power? I suspect he's too much of a coward to go that far, as that is something likely to end with him dead or in prison if it fails, but it doesn't seem to be beyond the realm of possibility.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 08:42 AM   #2509
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Quote:
Trump has to have HHS fire Fauci for cause and he has options for redress. The president can't simply order him to be fired.
Trump can either tell the head of HHS to fire him, or fire the head of HHS and appoint someone (even in an acting capacity) who will do it for him.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 08:51 AM   #2510
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Trump can either tell the head of HHS to fire him, or fire the head of HHS and appoint someone (even in an acting capacity) who will do it for him.
Can we have a new Saturday Night Massacre? Keep firing people you can fire until one of them fires the guy you want to fire in the first place?

And then nominate that last guy to the Supreme Court?

I remember the original Saturday Night Massacre, but I was too young to understand it, really. Maybe Trump can do a few of those over the next few months.

I keep holding out hope that he will do something so outrageously over the top and illegal that there will have to be an emergency impeachment to get rid of him before January 20, or a 25th amendment action. I know it's not likely, but it would be fun.
Old 11th November 2020, 09:25 AM   #2511
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I keep holding out hope that he will do something so outrageously over the top and illegal that there will have to be an emergency impeachment to get rid of him before January 20, or a 25th amendment action. I know it's not likely, but it would be fun.
The problem with that is that it would draw attention to republicans for enabling Trump for the past 4 years, and they would probably want to avoid that sort of publicity.

"Even though we voted against Trump's impeachment, voted for his various nominations, and didn't really challenge him when he engaged in racist actions, we now think Trump is a threat to the country".
"Why didn't you try to stop him before?"
"Because... Obama wore a tan suit! Buttery maies! Bengazi!"

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th November 2020, 10:51 AM   #2512
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The problem with that is that it would draw attention to republicans for enabling Trump for the past 4 years, and they would probably want to avoid that sort of publicity.
There might even be other problems with that scenario.......but that doesn't mean I can't dream.

It occurs to me that about this time four years ago I predicted that Trump would be the first president impeached and convicted. i didn't think he could stay within the law for four years. I only have about 70 days left to be right.

(And....some would say he didn't stay within the law for four years, but that's for a different thread.)
Old 11th November 2020, 08:42 PM   #2513
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Gina Haspel, the CIA Director, may be next. FBI Director Wray is also rumored to be on the chopping block. The Reign of Terror may have nothing on Trump's Lame Duck period.
Well, so far Trump hasn't used a guillotine. I wouldn't put it past him, though.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 07:29 AM   #2514
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Reversing the trend, Rick Bright will join the Biden COVID-19 advisory board after Trump's White House retaliated against him for a whistleblower complaint.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 07:31 AM   #2515
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Well, so far Trump hasn't used a guillotine. I wouldn't put it past him, though.
That's ridiculous.

How would he manage to pull the lever that drops the blade with such small hands?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th November 2020, 10:14 AM   #2516
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

That's ridiculous.

How would he manage to pull the lever that drops the blade with such small hands?
He has people to do that for him. You don't really think a person of Trump's status would pull the lever himself, do you?
Old 12th November 2020, 01:43 PM   #2517
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
He has people to do that for him. You don't really think a person of Trump's status would pull the lever himself, do you?

He'd claim he did it himself, though.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 02:00 PM   #2518
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Quote:
He'd claim he did it himself, though.
Or claim that wanted to, but couldn't because of bone spurs in his arms.

Then afterword he would call the person who did pull the lever a "loser".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th November 2020, 02:18 PM   #2519
Armitage72
Philosopher

Two senior DHS officials have been forced to resign.

The assistant director for cybersecurity and the assistant secretary for international affairs
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 09:28 AM   #2520
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I've been thinking more about this in the waning days of Trump's reign, and what continues to amaze me (though it doesn't really surprise me) is the death star mentality we keep seeing. What could possibly possess a person at this stage to join Trump's toppling team?

You know, in the Star Wars universe, when an Imperial henchman fails (as they always must) the Emperor musters the force and kills him, and as the body lies on the floor, another henchman steps up, eager to try his hand. A retelling of the old fairy tale in which the hapless stumbler heads off to answer the oracle or fight the ogre. Is he spellbound, or just so devoid of hope that a flamboyant downfall seems a viable future?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics