IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th December 2020, 07:22 AM   #2561
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Dr. Fauci has accepted an offer to retain his current position in President Biden's administration.

Dead man walking!
I don't think he's in the sort of position that's a political appt.

ETA: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...mp-fire-fauci/

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th December 2020 at 07:30 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 07:35 AM   #2562
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I don't think he's in the sort of position that's a political appt.

ETA: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...mp-fire-fauci/
Maybe that's part of the genesis of the late Oct. "Schedule F" EO. It might (?) make him fireable now.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 04:52 PM   #2563
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Bill Barr is out, voluntarily.
Old 14th December 2020, 05:25 PM   #2564
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Bill Barr is out, ("voluntarily" ?).
Following a "nice chat with Trump". Of which there is no such thing, btw.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 05:37 PM   #2565
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Bill Barr is out, voluntarily.
Cue an "acting" appointment who will immediately bring charges against Hillary, Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and of course, Barry Soetoro.
Old 14th December 2020, 05:44 PM   #2566
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Cue an "acting" appointment who will immediately bring charges against Hillary, Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and of course, Barry Soetoro.
According to Stubby McBonespurs, his replacement will be Deputy Attorney General Jeff Rosen.

According to The Independent:
Mr Rosen...had previously served under Elaine Chao as deputy Transportation Secretary before his appointment to the Justice Department, replacing Rod Rosenstein as then-deputy attorney general. He was confirmed by the Senate by a party-line vote of 52-49 in May 2019, despite a lack of experience with both the Justice Department and as a prosecutor....Prior to his role in the Trump administration, Mr Rosen joined the Office of Management and Budget as its general counsel and senior policy adviser under former president George W Bush. He remained in the role until 2009.

So, much like Barr... not much actual courtroom experience, and lots of involvement with past Republican endeavors.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 06:32 PM   #2567
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Len Possett, Tim Screevy, The Reverend Phipps, Peg Leg Loombucket, Solly Levy, Ginger Epstein, Able Seaman Trufitt, Scotch Lil, Messrs Cattermole, Mousehabit, Neapthigh and Trusspot (solicitors and Commissioners for Oaths), Father Thunderghast, Fat Alice, Con Mahoney, Yeti Rosencrantz, Foo Too Robinson and Uncle Ted Willis and all!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widecombe_Fair_(song)
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 12:42 PM   #2568
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly a white house exit, but Mitch Mcconnell and Trump don;t love each other anymore.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 01:58 PM   #2569
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not exactly a white house exit, but Mitch Mcconnell and Trump don;t love each other anymore.
And here I thought those crazy kids could make it last.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 02:22 PM   #2570
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Rumor now has it that FBI Director Chris Wray is next on Trump's chopping block and the Deputy AG Rosen who will be the acting AG after Barr steps down. He really is imagining some kind of investigation leading to an arrest of Hunter and Joe Biden.

Last edited by acbytesla; 16th December 2020 at 02:24 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 04:03 PM   #2571
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Rumor now has it that FBI Director Chris Wray is next on Trump's chopping block and the Deputy AG Rosen who will be the acting AG after Barr steps down. He really is imagining some kind of investigation leading to an arrest of Hunter and Joe Biden.
Why? Apart from the fact there's patently nothing in the story whatsoever, how does he think anything will happen in the ever shrinking time before Biden is inaugurated? Does he imagine Santa is going to send him a golden-ticket iron-clad Biden indictment down his chimney in a few weeks?

If Donny's reasoning power has degenerated to that extent, the USA is well served by his immediate exit.
Old 16th December 2020, 04:09 PM   #2572
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Why? Apart from the fact there's patently nothing in the story whatsoever, how does he think anything will happen in the ever shrinking time before Biden is inaugurated? Does he imagine Santa is going to send him a golden-ticket iron-clad Biden indictment down his chimney in a few weeks?

If Donny's reasoning power has degenerated to that extent, the USA is well served by his immediate exit.
Highlighted assumes facts not in evidence.
Old 16th December 2020, 06:04 PM   #2573
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

I'm still not completely convinced that Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the United States. He might be 47th, after Mike Pence.

I don't actually expect it to happen, but I wouldn't rule out Trump going so far off the walls that his cabinet goes for the 25th amendment, or the Congress goes for a rapid style impeachment.

I don't expect those things to happen. I would be shocked if they did happen, but like so many other things that have happened in the last two months, with any other president it would not have even occurred to me that it's a possibility.
Old 16th December 2020, 07:10 PM   #2574
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still not completely convinced that Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the United States. He might be 47th, after Mike Pence.

I don't actually expect it to happen, but I wouldn't rule out Trump going so far off the walls that his cabinet goes for the 25th amendment, or the Congress goes for a rapid style impeachment.

I don't expect those things to happen. I would be shocked if they did happen, but like so many other things that have happened in the last two months, with any other president it would not have even occurred to me that it's a possibility.
More likely to resign on the 19th so Pence can pardon him.
Old 16th December 2020, 07:15 PM   #2575
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Which will be hailed by Trumpers as yet another brilliant move, preventing the commie Democrats from falsely prosecuting him.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 07:16 PM   #2576
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

One never knows, of course, but I think Trump may be stymied by the principle (or perhaps more like and excuse) Gerald Ford elaborated when he pardoned Nixon: that to accept a pardon carries an implicit admission of guilt. That's something Trump is not very good at.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 08:02 PM   #2577
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've been saying that for months.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 08:04 PM   #2578
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Highlighted assumes facts not in evidence.
Mea culpa.
Old 16th December 2020, 08:06 PM   #2579
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Which will be hailed by Trumpers as yet another brilliant move, preventing the commie Democrats from falsely prosecuting him.
Even though it won't.

But anyhoo....!
Old 17th December 2020, 05:33 PM   #2580
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
One never knows, of course, but I think Trump may be stymied by the principle (or perhaps more like and excuse) Gerald Ford elaborated when he pardoned Nixon: that to accept a pardon carries an implicit admission of guilt. That's something Trump is not very good at.
Arpaio doesn't ascribe to that interpretation, despite a court conviction.
Why would T?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 07:43 PM   #2581
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Arpaio doesn't ascribe to that interpretation, despite a court conviction.
Why would T?
It's probably a vain hope, I admit. But it's a hope. Ofr course the ideal thing, a vainer than vain hope, would be that Trump does the resignation and then on second thought Pence decides..."aw, **** him."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:27 PM   #2582
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's probably a vain hope, I admit. But it's a hope. Ofr course the ideal thing, a vainer than vain hope, would be that Trump does the resignation and then on second thought Pence decides..."aw, **** him."
I have said before that I would not at all be surprised if in mid-January Trump says he maybe might possibly be feeling a bit under the weather and before being flown to Walter Reed, out of an abundance of caution, as many Presidents before have done when going to the hospital, invokes the 25th Amendment making Pence temporarily acting President, only to resume the Presidency shortly thereafter and be shocked, shocked I tell you, that Pence has granted him a full blanket pardon that he totally didn't ask for because he is totally innocent. But, hey, a pardon is a pardon and he'll just have to accept it.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 17th December 2020 at 08:30 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:33 PM   #2583
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sure.
Pompeo canceled his 900 people party that was supposed to be the start of his 2024 campaign when it turned out that only 30 people would actually come.
The reason he gave was that he had been in contact with a suspected Covid case.
If the event had been packed he would have gone anyway.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:50 PM   #2584
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Sure.
Pompeo canceled his 900 people party that was supposed to be the start of his 2024 campaign when it turned out that only 30 people would actually come.
And given Covid to 900 people without one single pang of conscience on his behalf.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:16 PM   #2585
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Sure.
Who exactly was supposed to be invited to the party anyways? From googling around, I see that the party was supposed to be dedicated to "diplomats serving in dangerous areas"... bug given how poorly the Trump administration has treated members of the civil service, I can't see many career diplomats/public servants being too keen to participate in an event organized by one of the idiots that is messing things up (even if Covid were not an issue).

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 09:24 PM   #2586
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Who exactly was supposed to be invited to the party anyways? From googling around, I see that the party was supposed to be dedicated to "diplomats serving in dangerous areas"... bug given how poorly the Trump administration has treated members of the civil service, I can't see many career diplomats/public servants being too keen to participate in an event organized by one of the idiots that is messing things up (even if Covid were not an issue).
Having worked in the DR Congo, Central African Republic and South Sudan, I'll just tell you, you don't come home more or less healthy by not knowing how to protect yourself from infectious disease.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 09:25 PM   #2587
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Who would imagine going to Pompeo's Covid-fest would be more dangerous than serving in dangerous overseas locations...
Old 17th December 2020, 09:27 PM   #2588
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Sure.
The 2024 Republican primaries are going to be a vomit inducing spectacle. It will be a bunch of neglected dogs trying to show how hard they humped Trump's leg.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 09:33 PM   #2589
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The 2024 Republican primaries are going to be a vomit inducing spectacle. It will be a bunch of neglected dogs trying to show how hard they humped Trump's leg.
Ain't that the truth.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 09:41 PM   #2590
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I figure there will also be a couple of Candidates who try to rewrite history (a la Ben Sasse... "Look at how bad Trump was... ignore the fact that I supported him for 4 years".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th December 2020, 01:10 AM   #2591
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Why wait until 2024?

The 2022 Florida Senate primary, with Roger Stone, Ivanka Trump, and, what's his name, the Bible quoting invertebrate, could be epic.
Old 18th December 2020, 02:03 AM   #2592
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Why wait until 2024?

The 2022 Florida Senate primary, with Roger Stone, Ivanka Trump, and, what's his name, the Bible quoting invertebrate, could be epic.

I can't believe a convicted felon would get so many votes and another convicted felon would get so few.
-L.S.
Old 18th December 2020, 03:03 AM   #2593
Susheel
Graduate Poster

From what I heard, Pompeo did not "cancel" the party. Basically, he had a party and no one came. He sent out 900 invitations, 90 RSVP'd and only 30 showed up. In fact, he was supposed to speak at the event but decided to tap someone else to proxy for him.
Old 18th December 2020, 10:43 AM   #2594
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
From what I heard, Pompeo did not "cancel" the party. Basically, he had a party and no one came. He sent out 900 invitations, 90 RSVP'd and only 30 showed up. In fact, he was supposed to speak at the event but decided to tap someone else to proxy for him.
I'm going to have to look it up, but I believe he canceled subsequent parties after that fiasco.
Old 19th December 2020, 06:45 AM   #2595
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Even without the pandemic, why would he invite the diplomats who work for him? He must know his entire workforce hates him.
Old 19th December 2020, 07:01 AM   #2596
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Even without the pandemic, why would he invite the diplomats who work for him? He must know his entire workforce hates him.
and has more sense than to spread a virus all through the world just to make their boss not look like a pathetic loser.
Old 7th January 2021, 05:56 AM   #2597
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s former chief of staff and current special envoy to Northern Ireland said Thursday that he’s resigning from his diplomatic post.

Quote:
“I called [Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo last night to let him know I was resigning from that. I can’t do it. I can’t stay,” Mick Mulvaney told CNBC in an exclusive interview.

“Those who choose to stay, and I have talked with some of them, are choosing to stay because they’re worried the president might put someone worse in,” Mulvaney added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/mick...to-follow.html
Quick on the uptake, this Mulvaney!
Old 7th January 2021, 06:56 AM   #2598
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Now we're seeing a "Truxit", people resigning instead of being fired. Five staff in the last 24 hours.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:59 AM   #2599
d4m10n
Philosopher

Needs a snappier moniker.

Also, what's the point at this late hour?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 7th January 2021, 07:09 AM   #2600
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Needs a snappier moniker.

Also, what's the point at this late hour?
Self preservation... albeit at one minute to midnight, pfft.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics