IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th January 2021, 07:43 PM   #2681
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
They are out of a job soon anyway, but as a matter of transition, can they now be hired as consultants by the Biden team? Might be best of both worlds at this time. They can give honest info without intrusions of "the boss" and still get paid (not that most of them need it!).
Why would Biden want to hire them?

Most of them were either incompetent, or totally unsuited to their job. Its doubtful they would have any information of value to pass on (at least nothing that wouldn't have bee passed on during regular transition activities.)

And why trust them? Most of them were quite happy being Trump bootlickers. I certainly wouldn't trust any of them to give honest answers, because then they would have to own up to their own submissiveness to Trump.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 06:29 AM   #2682
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

They are out of a job soon anyway, but as a matter of transition, can they now be hired as consultants by the Biden team? Might be best of both worlds at this time. They can give honest info without intrusions of "the boss" and still get paid (not that most of them need it!).
Why anyone would want trumpistas in Biden administration?
Old 12th January 2021, 07:40 AM   #2683
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think that ship has sailed. There have been plenty of situations where such things might happen - hackers rehired for security, the authors of financial disasters hired to undo them, and so forth, but at this point I think they've stayed with Trump too long, they're too conspicuously associated with him to get away with any role in the world their leader has so openly tried to destroy. At this point I suspect they're just hoping they might still be employable somewhere.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #2684
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf is stepping down.
But he was ruled illegal by the courts, can you step down from a job you legally do not have?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:35 PM   #2685
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Are they are more that could be survivors? I mean, if you're still in the White House, you're the orchestra on the Titanic playing, "Nearer my God to Thee".
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:14 AM   #2686
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But he was ruled illegal by the courts, can you step down from a job you legally do not have?
Old 13th January 2021, 12:23 AM   #2687
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Are they are more that could be survivors? I mean, if you're still in the White House, you're the orchestra on the Titanic playing, "Nearer my God to Thee".
Ben Carson.
I hated T handing him a $2 billion chunk of HUD. But he kept his head down (that I noticed) and let the career staff show him the way.
I think... any major cock-ups from his area?

Eta: Sorry, I think the $2B was a NY slice T assigned to an ex-party planner donor. IIRC.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:47 AM   #2688
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Quote:
Ben Carson.
I hated T handing him a $2 billion chunk of HUD. But he kept his head down (that I noticed) and let the career staff show him the way.
I think... any major cock-ups from his area?
Biggest screw-up may have been Carson overspending on his office redecoration.

There have been a few other Trump cabinet members who made it all the way through...

Mnuchin (Treasury) - known for misuse of government jets
Ross (Commerce) - Fell asleep during meetings
Purdue (Agriculture) - Under him, the department hired multiple Trump campaign workers who had no agriculture experience
Lighthizer (trade) - A 'trade representative' who favors tariffs

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:13 PM   #2689
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Eh. So do I. No matter how interesting I might find a subject to be, there's always some blowhard willing to go on about it at length to hear the sound of their own voice, and it puts me down faster than a glass of warm milk. Anything you need to say that can't be said in fifteen minutes should be written down instead.

Then again I'm not the head of a major government agency.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:21 PM   #2690
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Quote:
Eh. So do I. No matter how interesting I might find a subject to be, there's always some blowhard willing to go on about it at length to hear the sound of their own voice, and it puts me down faster than a glass of warm milk. Anything you need to say that can't be said in fifteen minutes should be written down instead.

Then again I'm not the head of a major government agency.
Yeah but he also may have been involved with insider trading, stealing from his business partners, etc.

And in office, he also questioned why people would visit food banks instead of taking out personal loans.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th January 2021, 01:55 PM   #2691
Armitage72
Philosopher

And in office, he also questioned why people would visit food banks instead of taking out personal loans.

Continuing the tradition of Mitt Romney, who told college students that they can start a business by borrowing money from their parents.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:48 PM   #2692
Firestone

Hope Hicks's last day at the White House was yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/polit...iot/index.html

Last edited by Firestone; 13th January 2021 at 02:49 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 05:40 AM   #2693
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Zero credit for these people quitting at the 11th hour. I hope this follows them for the rest of their lives.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:44 AM   #2694
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Zero credit for these people quitting at the 11th hour. I hope this follows them for the rest of their lives.
You could make an argument that it's worse than not quitting at all. At least the people still in the bunker with President Trump have the courage of their (misplaced) convictions.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 06:01 AM   #2695
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You could make an argument that it's worse than not quitting at all. At least the people still in the bunker with President Trump have the courage of their (misplaced) convictions.
The smart move is to stay.

I really doubt they're going to get any credibility back by quitting now. The CHUDs are only going to see you as a traitor for abandoning the God-King during his time of need. Sticking to Trump now at least leaves them with love from the fringe wing of MAGA dead-enders.

Bailing on Trump now just leaves these people with no friends anywhere. Or perhaps I'm naďve. Centrist libs really do love rehabilitating reprehensible right wingers.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:26 AM   #2696
d4m10n
Philosopher

Bailing on Trump now just leaves these people with no friends anywhere. Or perhaps I'm naďve. Centrist libs really do love rehabilitating reprehensible right wingers.
We do love a good redemption story.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #2697
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

In true Trump fashion, Trump has now turned on his biggest defender, Rudy Giuliani, by refusing to pay him.

Once again, it has been clearly demonstrated that Trump is a petty, lying, worthless POS who will turn on anyone, and everyone, who does not fully support him.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...032513094.html

Report: 'Isolated And Angry' Trump Refuses To Pay Rudy Giuliani For Legal Work

President Donald Trump is reportedly taking out his frustrations on his personal attorney and longtime friend, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

And he’s doing it in the classic Trump fashion: by refusing to pay him.

Citing two unnamed officials, the newspaper said Trump has not only refused to pay Giuliani’s legal fees but has told aides that all reimbursement requests for travel and other expenses need to go through him.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 06:42 AM   #2698
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
In true Trump fashion, Trump has now turned on his biggest defender, Rudy Giuliani, by refusing to pay him.

Once again, it has been clearly demonstrated that Trump is a petty, lying, worthless POS who will turn on anyone, and everyone, who does not fully support him.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...032513094.html

Report: 'Isolated And Angry' Trump Refuses To Pay Rudy Giuliani For Legal Work

President Donald Trump is reportedly taking out his frustrations on his personal attorney and longtime friend, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

And he’s doing it in the classic Trump fashion: by refusing to pay him.

Citing two unnamed officials, the newspaper said Trump has not only refused to pay Giuliani’s legal fees but has told aides that all reimbursement requests for travel and other expenses need to go through him.

I fully expected this. Trump has a long history of stiffing his lawyers. That is why he can't hire first class lawyers.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 06:50 AM   #2699
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
A smart lawyer would get paid in advance.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:53 AM   #2700
d4m10n
Philosopher

To be fair, Rudy didn't come through on the whole Bidengate thing.
Old 14th January 2021, 07:12 AM   #2701
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
No a smart lawyer wouldn’t work for Trump... a slightly brighter lawyer would have got paid up front...
Old 14th January 2021, 07:12 AM   #2702
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Like all Trump lackeys, Giuliani has an illusion of knowledge instead of having actual knowledge.

After all, Trump has a very long and well very established history of not paying people who do work for him. And yet, in spite of such glaring facts, for some reason Giuliani believed that such a thing would never happen to him.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 07:12 AM   #2703
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1349558089964347398

Quote:
Trump is going to betray each and every one of the lunatics and thugs and lowlifes who have supported him and it’s going to be like grinding up pure joy and snorting it off of Aphrodite’s ass
Old 14th January 2021, 07:15 AM   #2704
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
To be fair, Rudy didn't come through on the whole Bidengate thing.
And he didn't overturn the election either. So why should he get paid if Trump doesn't get to remain president?
Old 14th January 2021, 07:35 AM   #2705
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I doubt Rudy not getting paid by Trump is really that big of a deal for him.

Rudy has other clients, and his proximity to Trump and the power of the Presidency must be a huge selling point. Working for Trump for free is a loss leader.

Anyone in federal prison right now who wants to get a pardon is probably willing to let Rudy name his price.
Old 14th January 2021, 09:34 AM   #2706
d4m10n
Philosopher

Anyone in federal prison right now who wants to get a pardon is probably willing to let Rudy name his price.
For the next seven days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2021, 09:38 AM   #2707
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
For the next seven days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
It only takes a moment. I imagine Trump will be issuing many more pardons before the 20th.
Old 14th January 2021, 09:40 AM   #2708
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Rudy has other clients, and his proximity to Trump and the power of the Presidency must be a huge selling point. Working for Trump for free is a loss leader.

Does he? He got fired from the law firm he was working for when he publicly advocated the mishandling of client money. He was also working for Trump for free for a while to spite his wife while going through a divorce.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 10:35 AM   #2709
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but that suggests Rudy was at least partially competent.

Its one thing to put up a decent defense for your client and lose, its another thing to lose, after leaving messages on the wrong phone number, having multiple embarrassments (leaking brains, Borat), and possibly being on the wrong side of charges related to terrorism.

If I am a potential client, I would avoid Rudy like the plague, regardless of his association with "the president".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #2710
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Its one thing to put up a decent defense for your client and lose, its another thing to lose, after leaving messages on the wrong phone number, having multiple embarrassments (leaking brains, Borat), and possibly being on the wrong side of charges related to terrorism.

If I am a potential client, I would avoid Rudy like the plague, regardless of his association with "the president".
It depends on what you want. Nobody should hire Rudy for actual legal work.

If you want a pardon from Trump, he's probably one of the few people in a position to advocate your case (for a fee) to Trump.

Perhaps that is no longer the case, but that seems to have been the situation for a while now.
Old 14th January 2021, 10:53 AM   #2711
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It depends on what you want. Nobody should hire Rudy for actual legal work.

If you want a pardon from Trump, he's probably one of the few people in a position to advocate your case (for a fee) to Trump.
It seems to me like a big cheque to the Trump2024 re-election campaign would probably be more effective. Or maybe sign up for a membership at Mar a Lago.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th January 2021, 10:56 AM   #2712
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I think his reputation is irredeemably damaged by his activities over the last three months. This guy was highly respected as mayor, and a genuine contender for president, and now he's a joke. I don't think he can ever recover.

Not that he's going to end up sleeping under a bridge or anything. I'm sure he has enough money cached away to live out his days comfortably, but his reputation is shot.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:49 AM   #2713
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I wonder...

If Rudi isn't going to get paid by Trump after all, and he is as big a slimeball as his (former?) boss and would turn on him in an instant, how much would a book deal cost with Rudi to spill all the inside beans as evidence to avoid going to jail? Probably not too much.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:07 PM   #2714
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think his reputation is irredeemably damaged by his activities over the last three months. This guy was highly respected as mayor, and a genuine contender for president, and now he's a joke. I don't think he can ever recover.
More than his close associations with ukranian and russian mobsters? Remember Rudy needs his pardon too.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:51 AM   #2715
Firestone

Case in point, in the Washington Post today: For those who quit Trump after riot, critics say it’s too little — and four years too late

Quote:
Sarah Matthews, a 25-year-old White House spokeswoman, said she watched the violent images unfolding at the Capitol last Wednesday with horror.

Before joining the Trump campaign, and later the White House, she had worked in Congress, and said that “seeing people I know, who were scared for their lives, just shook me to my core.”

As night fell and the Secret Service ushered most staffers home in advance of the District’s 6 p.m. curfew, Matthews grabbed her blazer and the half-dozen pairs of high heels stored under her desk, and put them in her bag. She knew she wouldn’t be returning.

“I knew I could no longer serve in the role effectively, and I couldn’t walk into the building the following day and act like everything was fine, because it was indefensible,” said Matthews, who sent out her resignation letter later that evening.

“I chose to work in the Trump administration because I believed in his agenda, I believed in the policies we enacted, I believed in a lot of what we accomplished,” Matthews continued, “but what I saw take place Wednesday overshadowed all the good we’ve done these past four years.”
(bolding mine)

It's people she knows being scared for their lives that suddenly made her see the light.
All the Trump atrocities affected "the others", that was fine, that was defensible, that was "all the good we've done."

Last edited by Firestone; 15th January 2021 at 06:57 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 01:20 PM   #2716
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I fully expected this. Trump has a long history of stiffing his lawyers. That is why he can't hire first class lawyers.
I'm quite miffed, because I swear I posted several weeks ago that I didn't know where to put my misplaced admiration. To Giuliani for having the chutzpah to charge $20k/day for his quality of legal advice, or Trump for letting convincing Giuliani that he'd get paid.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 05:14 PM   #2717
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No a smart lawyer wouldn’t work for Trump... a slightly brighter lawyer would have got paid up front...
A proper solicitor would have a Client Service Agreement detailing Scope, fee or time charge, payment schedule and what disbursements are recoverable.

Perhaps such a contract exists? I don't know.

If so, I openly wonder what if the expressed (written) Scope of Services provided by Giuliani may be the problem. If the services agreement scope was "investigate if evidence exists that there was election fraud", however it could be proved, the real intent was "use courts to delay acceptance of defeat to allow further $207 million donation raising by Trump PAC", then that may break Client-Solicitor privileged communications, as an illegal act.

Trump should negotiate and settle with Giuliani.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 05:27 PM   #2718
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post

Trump should negotiate and settle with Giuliani.
You mean free pardon?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 05:38 PM   #2719
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You mean free pardon?
I am way out of my depth, but pardoning Giuliani for a specific crime would seem to probably implicate Trump at the same time, when the criminal act is defined in the pardon.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:12 AM   #2720
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Case in point, in the Washington Post today: For those who quit Trump after riot, critics say it’s too little — and four years too late

(bolding mine)

It's people she knows being scared for their lives that suddenly made her see the light.
All the Trump atrocities affected "the others", that was fine, that was defensible, that was "all the good we've done."
I'd be more impressed if she quit after kids in cages. I wonder if she would have quit if she didn't know anyone who worked on The Hill.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics