IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Reply
Old 31st December 2018, 02:29 PM   #841
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"America gets to be racist because we're the only one with black people."

Stunning. Simply stunning.

And the irony is I have, in the past, taken issue with the way some extremely homogeneous countries make snarky remarks about how American has race problems. There is an air of... offness about a country that is 90+ percent one ethnic group looking its nose down on a multi-ethnic society having difficulty getting everyone to play nice. At times it does come across as "Dealing with minorities is easy if you don't actually have any to deal with."

The fact that the majority ethnicity in the US is only about 72% of the population while in Japan and some of the Nordic countries it's.... 100% with a rounding error pretty much is a legit factor in talking about why certain countries have racial problems and others don't.

Just don't excuse a thinly veiled racist agenda is all.
Glad we see eye to eye on some things. But I never said US is the only country with blacks. And the racial majority is about 61% adjusting for "non-hispanic whites." And our definitions of the word irony differ.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:30 PM   #842
lobosrul5
Master Poster
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,196
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The US one is the only one of interest. And that is correct, confirmed months ago by several different people. Including: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post12399486
Except its not correct. Homicide rates in Europe are generally lower than White Americans. Firearms homicide rates are also much lower in Europe than they are in the US by just whites. The chart you made or dug up is comparing apples to oranges: total firearms deaths (the vast majority of which are suicides) for the European countries, versus only homicides for white Americans.

Can we leave this sidetrack alone now please? What is your point anyways? Cops should be able to break into other peoples homes and shoot because they are black since black people shoot each other at an admittedly pretty appalling rate in America?
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:33 PM   #843
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,713
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Can we leave this sidetrack alone now please? What is your point anyways? Cops should be able to break into other peoples homes and shoot because they are black since black people shoot each other at an admittedly pretty appalling rate in America?
That's exactly what this is. A poisoning of the well with the old "Black people are hair trigger dangerous" chestnut.
__________________
Yahtzee: "You're doing that thing again where when asked a question you just discuss the philosophy of the question instead of answering the bloody question."
Gabriel: "Well yeah, you see..."
Yahtzee: "No. When you are asked a Yes or No question the first word out of your mouth needs to be Yes or No. Only after that have you earned the right to elaborate."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:41 PM   #844
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
You continue to show off your naivete. It's not possible to generalize a multi-racial society like the United States the way you try. This also ignores the "positive action" that you claim doesn't exist, like Black Lives Matter. People who live in all white countries like Scotland have a very childlike view on race.
There is a gun problem in the USA. It affects black people disproportionately compared to other races.

It is possible to discuss the gun problem in isolation from the race problem.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:45 PM   #845
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That the US is multiracial society so it's not possible to apply the policing methods of a small lily white country like Norway or Scotland (lol).
You are now being racist. Scotland and Norway are also multiracial, just with different proportions from different races. There are all sorts of reasons why each country is policed differently, some to with race and some not.

Quote:
That and it's proof you just plain don't like black people.
No it is not. You are just trying to be provocative by calling me racist against black people.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:50 PM   #846
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
You don't like black behavior, black culture, black attitudes. You don't like black people. Saying it's "Americans" you have a problem with doesn't obfuscate this fact. There's no other way to put it.
There is a gun problem with Americans. Of those Americans, a higher proportion are black than of the other races that make up Americans. They are facts.

It is a non sequitur to then claim, because of that, I think in any way badly about black Americans.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 04:47 PM   #847
fagin
Philosopher
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 7,070
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
The problem is your picture doesn't relate to reality. Looks like made up bollocks. Could you link to source.
Could you?

Or just carry on ducking and diving....
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:19 PM   #848
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
You are now being racist. Scotland and Norway are also multiracial, just with different proportions from different races. There are all sorts of reasons why each country is policed differently, some to with race and some not.
Nice try.

Black Scottish people represent approximately 0.7 percent of the total population of Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Scottish_people

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
You are just trying to be provocative by calling me racist against black people.
You are racist. You want the world to know you how much you value your lily white country and how great other white countries are. Your argument is the exact same as white supremacists calling for a "white ethnostate." Look how great things are when it's only white people! I am highly aware you're trying to squirm your out of this by calling Norway "multiracial" (lol!)
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:21 PM   #849
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Except its not correct.
Except it is, even without controlling for "Hispanics"
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
It appears the data you are linking to there pretty much supports the thread title (and without even having to worry about trying to purge white Hispanic offenders from the total white offender numbers) if the overall 3.0 figure (per 100,000 people) for Europe shown in this already posted link is valid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rate#By_region

Based upon the "known offenders" data in your table, the known homicide offender rate for men seems to be about 8.2 times that of women (I thought I'd just go ahead and do some calculations based on sex too while I was at it), and the known homicide offender rate for blacks appears to be about 7.4 times that of whites (or could be closer to 7.0 - see below*).

If we apply the same proportions determined from the "known offenders" data (11.2% women and 88.8% men, and 43.9% white and 53.5% black) to the "unknown offenders" and include those numbers in our calculations, which could be a somewhat reasonable thing to do (though, of course, in reality the numbers could be skewed a bit one way or the other), we would have the following rates (rounded to 2 significant figures):
  • 1.2 (1.15 rounded to three) female homicide offenders per 100,000 women
  • 9.5 male homicide offenders per 100,000 men
  • 3.0 white homicide offenders per 100,000 white people (white Hispanics included)
    6.1 white male homicide offenders per 100,000 white men
  • 22 or 21* black homicide offenders per 100,000 black people
    40 or 38* black male homicide offenders per 100,000 black men

....with 5.2 homicide offenders per 100,000 people overall

Using only the "known offenders" data, these would represent the lowest possible rates (per 100,000) for the given categories: 0.79 women, 6.5 men, 2.0 white, 15 black

If we assumed ALL the "unknown offenders" were of one category or the other (as in all unknown offenders were white or all unknown offenders were black, for instance), these would represent the absolute maximum possible rates (per 100,000) for the given categories: 4.0 women, 9.8 men, 4.2 white, 28 (or 27*) black

So, the following numbers, then, show the maximum possible range based upon the given data (I was just curious), but the middle numbers (as already shown above) are probably fairly reasonable.
  • 0.79, 1.2, 4.0 women
  • 6.5, 9.5, 9.8 men
  • 2.0, 3.0, 4.3 white
  • 15, 22, 28 black
    14, 21, 27 black*

In doing my calculations I used this U.S. population number for 2016 that Google displays when searched:




I used this estimated ratio of males to females in the U.S. for 2016:




...which works out to be about 49.2% male and 50.8% female, btw.

...and I used the estimated percentages of African Americans and whites in the U.S. as of the middle of 2016 from the following paragraph found on wikipedia:




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...es#cite_note-9

*The 12.7% percent of the population figure I used above seems a bit low compared to other data I've seen for black people in general, so it could be for African Americans specifically. I tried to find the original document to seek clarification but without success. The original website has now replaced it with the 2017 data, it seems. That newer data shows a 13.4% total black population. If I use that percentage in my calculations instead, the black homicide rate drops from 22 to 21, and is then just 7.0 times that of whites (rather than 7.4). Other numbers weren't significantly different.

**From the percentages I typically see, I'd probably just go, then, with rates of 3.0 for white and 21 for black (7.0 times larger rate).

I may regret saying this (lol), but according to the numbers, if all blacks - including black homicide offenders, of course - were to just disappear, the U.S. homicide offender rate could possibly drop to 2.8 which, apparently, is below the overall murder rate for Europe (3.0), Oceania (3.0), and Asia (2.9), too!

...woohoo! ...and so to go a little bit farther still... If the non-white, non-black minorities - the "others" (whoever they may be) - could only find a way to peacefully drive us white folks out also, that could really make for a difference! Without blacks OR whites, the homicide rate drops to 1.4! ...lol ...oops! ...unless it's a mistake to assume that most of the unknown offenders were either black or white! ...hmmm... ...if none of the unknown offenders were black or white, then the "other" minorities could have a total rate of 18! ...not 1.4. ...haha

I'll make you all a promise. Even though I'm white, if everyone else but me leaves, I won't kill anybody at all and I'll drop the rate down to 0.0! ...if you leave enough of your stuff behind, at least, so that I won't have to come after any of you.

Anyway, feel free to check my calculations. ...or, of course, feel free to ask for help, for it sure seems like quite a lot of you could use it.

tl;dr version:

If we assume that in the data that was linked to by Information Analyst the "unknown offenders" have the same proportions by color as the "known offenders," then the homicide offender rates (per 100,000) would be about 3.0 white, 21 black (7.0 times greater), 6.1 white men, 38 black men. ...which would seem to be in agreement with the thread title.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:23 PM   #850
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It is possible to discuss the gun problem in isolation from the race problem.
It actually isn't.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:26 PM   #851
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
There is a gun problem with Americans. Of those Americans, a higher proportion are black than of the other races that make up Americans. They are facts.

It is a non sequitur to then claim, because of that, I think in any way badly about black Americans.
There is a rape gang problem in the UK. Of those UKians, a higher proportion are Muslim than other races that make up UKians. They are facts.

It is a non sequitor to then claim, because of that, Tommy Robinson thinks in any way badly about UK Muslims.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:28 PM   #852
lobosrul5
Master Poster
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,196
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Except it is, even without controlling for "Hispanics"
Last time I say this: Your source for homicide rates in the European countries you listed is faulty. The actual homicide rate in Finland is 1.3, not 3.3. In Austria it's about .5 not 2.8. Those are total homicide rates, not just firearms. Even if your quoted post is correct and the white only firearm homicide rate in the USA is about 2.8, it doesn't matter. The other half of the comparison relied on faulty data.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:31 PM   #853
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's exactly what this is. A poisoning of the well with the old "Black people are hair trigger dangerous" chestnut.
Pointing out the not-so-subtle racism of some of the more daft Europeans on this board. They have a childlike naivete to them.

"Why do Americans talk loud in movie theaters?"

"I have got some news for you......"


Then when they get caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

"Oh...uh....it's not about race....I meant....uh....Americans in general....yeah.... "

"Yeah, sure pal."
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:35 PM   #854
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Last time I say this: Your source for homicide rates in the European countries you listed is faulty. The actual homicide rate in Finland is 1.3, not 3.3. In Austria it's about .5 not 2.8. Those are total homicide rates, not just firearms. Even if your quoted post is correct and the white only firearm homicide rate in the USA is about 2.8, it doesn't matter. The other half of the comparison relied on faulty data.
Yeah, it's you who's not understanding. I never referenced that graph for the homicide rate in Europe. I used it to reference the white and black US homicide. Read that insightful thread before commenting further.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:24 AM   #855
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Nice try.

Black Scottish people represent approximately 0.7 percent of the total population of Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Scottish_people

You are racist. You want the world to know you how much you value your lily white country and how great other white countries are. Your argument is the exact same as white supremacists calling for a "white ethnostate." Look how great things are when it's only white people! I am highly aware you're trying to squirm your out of this by calling Norway "multiracial" (lol!)
That is a huge leap you are making, that I am critical of US gun control, therefore I am a white supremacist arguing for a ethnostate.

No one is buying that and you are just being abusive because you are unable to cope with my claims and arguments.

No matter what the ethnic mix is, the USA is the only country in the western world with a gun control problem that manifests as regular dubious police shootings, regular civilian mass shootings and a high gun death rate.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:30 AM   #856
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
There is a rape gang problem in the UK. Of those UKians, a higher proportion are Muslim than other races that make up UKians. They are facts.

It is a non sequitor to then claim, because of that, Tommy Robinson thinks in any way badly about UK Muslims.
Tommy Robinson has a racist agenda and has said many racist things. I have not.

That the gun control issue affects blacks more than Hispanics and then whites, does not therefore mean I think least about the blacks, then the Hispanics and then the whites.

It is perfectly possible to point out the USA has a gun control problem and that it affects blacks more than others without being racist, or else you must be racist for pointing it out.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Last edited by Nessie; 1st January 2019 at 04:34 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:45 AM   #857
fagin
Philosopher
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 7,070
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Yeah, it's you who's not understanding. I never referenced that graph for the homicide rate in Europe. I used it to reference the white and black US homicide. Read that insightful thread before commenting further.

Right. Ignoring the obviously incorrect figures, makes the rest of the incorrect figures correct.....
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:16 PM   #858
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
That is a huge leap you are making, that I am critical of US gun control, therefore I am a white supremacist arguing for a ethnostate.

No one is buying that and you are just being abusive because you are unable to cope with my claims and arguments.

No matter what the ethnic mix is, the USA is the only country in the western world with a gun control problem that manifests as regular dubious police shootings, regular civilian mass shootings and a high gun death rate.
I never said you were a white supremacist arguing for a white ethnostate. I said you're a white supremacist who values his white ethnostate. You have not expressed outrage over the murder rate of......Belgium, which has the same murder rate as white Americans. You have made it abundantly clear your problem is with blacks.

You're tucked away in a lily white corner of the world free from the effects of diversity, and you seem to love it. You have no business waving your finger at those who have to deal with the problems that come with living in a multi-racial multi-ethnic society. That you are unaware that these problems exist, and your inability to foresee how your argument would be seen as racist, show the childlike naivete of people from that part of the world.

Last edited by Baylor; 1st January 2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:21 PM   #859
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Tommy Robinson has a racist agenda and has said many racist things. I have not.

That the gun control issue affects blacks more than Hispanics and then whites, does not therefore mean I think least about the blacks, then the Hispanics and then the whites.

It is perfectly possible to point out the USA has a gun control problem and that it affects blacks more than others without being racist, or else you must be racist for pointing it out.
The British media call Tommy Robinson a racist for the same reason I call you a racist. You endlessly rant about the crimes associated with a racial minority. Just because you try to avoid using certain verbiage and try to walk back your claims by saying it's "Americans" and "US gun control" you have a problem with doesn't exonerate you from your obviously racist attitudes. Similarly, Tommy Robinson does the same thing by saying it's only "radical Islam" he has a problem with.

What do they say on this forum? sniff sniff what's that I smell?
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:27 PM   #860
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 8,457
I must admit I've not seen that until just now.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:51 PM   #861
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 14,481
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Yeah, it's you who's not understanding. I never referenced that graph for the homicide rate in Europe. I used it to reference the white and black US homicide. Read that insightful thread before commenting further.
If the "US white" rate is higher than the rate in Europe, there's still something to be explained (why is it higher? It's certainly not because of black people). So your argument loses it's force.

Don't you see that?
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:33 AM   #862
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I never said you were a white supremacist arguing for a white ethnostate. I said you're a white supremacist who values his white ethnostate. You have not expressed outrage over the murder rate of......Belgium, which has the same murder rate as white Americans. You have made it abundantly clear your problem is with blacks.
You are a wind up merchant who has lost the debate.

I see anyone who is an American citizens as an American citizen and it does not matter what colour their skin. Same with Belgian citizens.

It is the country of America, not Belgium that has a problem with police shootings, mass shootings and other shootings.

Quote:
You're tucked away in a lily white corner of the world free from the effects of diversity, and you seem to love it. You have no business waving your finger at those who have to deal with the problems that come with living in a multi-racial multi-ethnic society. That you are unaware that these problems exist, and your inability to foresee how your argument would be seen as racist, show the childlike naivete of people from that part of the world.
The problem with police shootings in the USA is down to the police, not the blacks. You are the racist as you try and shift blame.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:37 AM   #863
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The British media call Tommy Robinson a racist for the same reason I call you a racist. You endlessly rant about the crimes associated with a racial minority. Just because you try to avoid using certain verbiage and try to walk back your claims by saying it's "Americans" and "US gun control" you have a problem with doesn't exonerate you from your obviously racist attitudes. Similarly, Tommy Robinson does the same thing by saying it's only "radical Islam" he has a problem with.

What do they say on this forum? sniff sniff what's that I smell?
You are a racist who does not think blacks are Americans.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:46 AM   #864
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
If the "US white" rate is higher than the rate in Europe, there's still something to be explained (why is it higher? It's certainly not because of black people). So your argument loses it's force.

Don't you see that?
Baylor wants to shift the problem away from it being an American to it being a black problem, as if black people are not real Americans.

On topic, the majority of police shooters in the threads about police shootings are white. In 2016 79% of US police officers are white.

https://datausa.io/profile/soc/333050/#demographics

Since according to Baylor ethnicity and not nationality is the issue, police shootings are a white problem.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:54 AM   #865
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,965
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I never said you were a white supremacist arguing for a white ethnostate. I said you're a white supremacist who values his white ethnostate. You have not expressed outrage over the murder rate of......Belgium, which has the same murder rate as white Americans. You have made it abundantly clear your problem is with blacks.

Do you know who has much better homicide rates, Baylor? Take a look at African countries like Ghana, Sierra Leone, Malawi, or my particular favourite, Burkina Faso!
List of countries by intentional homicide rate (Wikipedia).
What was your point again?!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:53 AM   #866
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Do you know who has much better homicide rates, Baylor? Take a look at African countries like Ghana, Sierra Leone, Malawi, or my particular favourite, Burkina Faso!
List of countries by intentional homicide rate (Wikipedia).
What was your point again?!
???????
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:42 PM   #867
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
If the "US white" rate is higher than the rate in Europe, there's still something to be explained (why is it higher? It's certainly not because of black people). So your argument loses it's force.
It isn't
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:44 PM   #868
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
It isn't
Is too.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:52 PM   #869
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Baylor wants to shift the problem away from it being an American to it being a black problem, as if black people are not real Americans.

On topic, the majority of police shooters in the threads about police shootings are white. In 2016 79% of US police officers are white.

https://datausa.io/profile/soc/333050/#demographics

Since according to Baylor ethnicity and not nationality is the issue, police shootings are a white problem.
That does not account for Hispanic and Latinos and it does not even break down police shootings by race.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:59 PM   #870
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
You are a wind up merchant who has lost the debate.

I see anyone who is an American citizens as an American citizen and it does not matter what colour their skin. Same with Belgian citizens.

It is the country of America, not Belgium that has a problem with police shootings, mass shootings and other shootings.



The problem with police shootings in the USA is down to the police, not the blacks. You are the racist as you try and shift blame.
That's extremely hateful thing to say as you think denying blacks their unique characteristics is somehow a complement. It's also a white supremacist logic as it assumes blacks aspire to be white. They don't.

This also brings up a problem that you refuse to address. When a racial minority murders 11 times more than the racial majority, this brings unique problems to the police force that doesn't exist in lily white countries like Scotland (lol).
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:06 PM   #871
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That's extremely hateful thing to say as you think denying blacks their unique characteristics is somehow a complement. It's also a white supremacist logic as it assumes blacks aspire to be white. They don't.

This also brings up a problem that you refuse to address. When a racial minority murders 11 times more than the racial majority, this brings unique problems to the police force that doesn't exist in lily white countries like Scotland (lol).
Never stopped you before, has it.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:37 PM   #872
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 14,481
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
It isn't
Some other posters have pretty clearly demonstrated that it is. As the saying goes, you are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:08 PM   #873
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Some other posters have pretty clearly demonstrated that it is. As the saying goes, you are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
I'm not sure where you're getting that from, don't really care either, but I did an entire thread on this topic so this is a derail. Refer to post 849 in this thread if you really are interested.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:13 PM   #874
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 14,481
These posts, for instance:
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
One again you post a random picture. Which you appear to have pulled out of your arse.

Can't be bothered to do a proper search, but according to wiki, homicide rates with a firearm for those countries is: (total homicide rates in ())

Per 100,000 of population.

USA - 4.62 (11.96)

Finland .32 (3.25)

Austria .12 (2.9)

France .21 (2.83)

Canada .16 (2.05)

Czech Rep .15 (2.01)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

Which look slightly more realistic. Interesting that the US nor only has a fairly high murder rate, but also a significant proportion of those are firearm related.
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Where are you getting those total homicide rate numbers from? They all appear to be very high. Ie I'm seeing from Finlands own official report 73 murders/manslaughters in 2017. Which is a rate of 1.33 per 100,000 not 3.25 given their estimated population of 5.5 million.

https://www.stat.fi/tup/suoluk/suolu...usolot_en.html

ETA: oh I see. 3.25 is not their total homicide rate its the total rate of firearms deaths including accidents and suicides. Its 11.96 in the USA.

ETA2: ahh and now I see how Nessie's chart is misleading. The other countries are listing the total firearms death rates including suicides and accidents (look at the numbers they match up almost perfectly to wiki). However, the US white rate is definitely not including suicides, because the suicide rate for white males by firearm is some 14 per 100,000. Even if women never killed themselves with firearms that would still be 7 per 100,000. ,

"the researchers found that white men had nine more firearm suicides per 100,000 people annually nationwide (5.41 for black men vs. 14.34 for white men)."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/healt...udy/index.html

ETA3: FYI that article does at times specify non-hispanic white.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:20 PM   #875
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
These posts, for instance:
That only counts homicides with firearms. White Americans murder with firearms more than Europeans because Americans have access to more firearms. But the homicide rate between white Americans and Europeans is roughly the same.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:35 AM   #876
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
It isn't
US white male firearm homicide rate 2018 is 2.1 per 100,000.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/23/h...udy/index.html

The England & Wales the overall homicide rate 2017 is 1.5 per 100,000. The rate for white males will be lower than that.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2017
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Last edited by Nessie; 3rd January 2019 at 02:49 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:41 AM   #877
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That's extremely hateful thing to say as you think denying blacks their unique characteristics is somehow a complement.
You pretend to know what I think. I can do that to you as well. You think denying blacks their nationality is not an issue.

Quote:
It's also a white supremacist logic as it assumes blacks aspire to be white. They don't.
It is your logic, not mine. You think blacks aspire to live in a white free USA, they don't.

Quote:
This also brings up a problem that you refuse to address. When a racial minority murders 11 times more than the racial majority, this brings unique problems to the police force that doesn't exist in lily white countries like Scotland (lol).
I am looking at the problem by country, not race. You are being racist by trying to exclude blacks from the US figures.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:47 AM   #878
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,131
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That only counts homicides with firearms. White Americans murder with firearms more than Europeans because Americans have access to more firearms. But the homicide rate between white Americans and Europeans is roughly the same.
The 2018 white male firearm homicide rate in the USA was 2.1 per 100,000.

In Europe the overall homicide rates (so white males will be a smaller number again) in 2015 is here;

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/pr...EDN-20180222-1

The three Baltic States have rates higher than 2.1. Every other European country has an OVERALL rate of less than 2.1. Some 14 European countries had rates of less than 1 per 100,000, so half the US white male rate of homicide.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Last edited by Nessie; 3rd January 2019 at 02:48 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:19 AM   #879
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
US white male firearm homicide rate 2018 is 2.1 per 100,000.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/23/h...udy/index.html

The England & Wales the overall homicide rate 2017 is 1.5 per 100,000. The rate for white males will be lower than that.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2017
I'm sorry you are unable to distinguish between someone who murdered and someone who was murdered. The statistics you cited show the latter but you compare it to the former. This is why it's so frustrating trying to carry on a discussion with you as you can't even get basic facts right to present your argument.

You also compare eight year of data with annual data but you need to learn simple definitions before moving on to that.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:22 AM   #880
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,394
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I am looking at the problem by country, not race. You are being racist by trying to exclude blacks from the US figures.
I'm categorizing statistics by race to show you hate black people.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.