IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 22nd November 2020, 10:08 PM   #1961
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
On the Peoria shooting:

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200720...hat-injured-13

This is the Riverfront Park area in downtown Peoria. Peoria's nightlife pretty much revolves around the downtown area.

Some might notice that this happened at 4:40 AM and wonder why there was a gathering at that hour. In Peoria, this is not unusual. The bars are open until 4:00AM. When I lived there, our standard practice was to go to a non-downtown bar until it closed (1:00 or 2:00) and then head downtown to the night clubs. So this was pretty much right after closing time.

Kinda casts the old "Will it play in Peoria?" quip in a whole new light.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2020, 09:40 PM   #1962
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Today in Nevada, a young couple gave thanks for the 2nd amendment.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ings-in-nevada

(Man and woman, 20s and 30s, kill one and wound four in apparently random shootings. No known motive.)

Last edited by Meadmaker; 26th November 2020 at 09:45 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:07 AM   #1963
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Today in Nevada, a young couple gave thanks for the 2nd amendment.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ings-in-nevada

(Man and woman, 20s and 30s, kill one and wound four in apparently random shootings. No known motive.)

That's kind of a rare mass shooting. Not because mass shootings are rare, rather, they gave a description of the shooters. Two days later there was another mass shooting in South Carolina where 1 person was killed and 14 injured at a nightclub with at least three shooters.

I ran a search on The Hill's webpage and there is no mention of the club shooting, witness description or not. Must be a minor oversight.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:50 AM   #1964
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Three suspects arrested in Henderson, Nevada, Thanksgiving day shooting.

No known motive.
Old 1st December 2020, 09:55 PM   #1965
Bogative
Graduate Poster

11 shot at biker bar in Mississippi. That's two definitely and two probable mass shootings of the hundreds that I've looked at over the past several months that were white shooters.

I keep hoping slyjoe will swing in to tell me how stupid I am for believing all these media reports about non-white mass shooters.

November 26 – Henderson, Nevada – 1 dead, 5 injured
November 27 – Toledo, Ohio – 6 injured
November 27 – Macon, Georgia – 1 dead, 5 injured
November 28 – New Orleans, Louisiana – 4 injured
November 28 – Aiken, South Carolina – 1 dead, 4 injured
November 28 – Conway, South Carolina – 5 injured
November 29 – Memphis, Tennessee – 2 dead, 2 injured
November 29 – Grenada, Mississippi – 11 injured
November 30 – Palmer, Alaska – 4 dead

39 dead vs 169 injured.
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:05 AM   #1966
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
11 shot at biker bar in Mississippi. That's two definitely and two probable mass shootings of the hundreds that I've looked at over the past several months that were white shooters.

I keep hoping slyjoe will swing in to tell me how stupid I am for believing all these media reports about non-white mass shooters.

November 26 – Henderson, Nevada – 1 dead, 5 injured
November 27 – Toledo, Ohio – 6 injured
November 27 – Macon, Georgia – 1 dead, 5 injured
November 28 – New Orleans, Louisiana – 4 injured
November 28 – Aiken, South Carolina – 1 dead, 4 injured
November 28 – Conway, South Carolina – 5 injured
November 29 – Memphis, Tennessee – 2 dead, 2 injured
November 29 – Grenada, Mississippi – 11 injured
November 30 – Palmer, Alaska – 4 dead

39 dead vs 169 injured.
But the actual data suggests white shooters are more prevalent than your articles would have us believe. From 1982 through Feb 2020, incidences mirrored population ratios.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:58 AM   #1967
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
But the actual data suggests white shooters are more prevalent than your articles would have us believe. From 1982 through Feb 2020, incidences mirrored population ratios.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

I believe this is the same link slyjoe posted before having a tantrum and stomping off without answering this question: how does statista.com define "mass shooting"?

The FBI defines it as three or more victims.

Gunviolencearchives.org defines it as four or more victims.

GVA.org has documented 587 mass shootings this year alone, that's more than quintuple the 112 in 28 years claimed by statista.com.
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:25 AM   #1968
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I believe this is the same link slyjoe posted before having a tantrum and stomping off without answering this question: how does statista.com define "mass shooting"?

The FBI defines it as three or more victims.

Gunviolencearchives.org defines it as four or more victims.

GVA.org has documented 587 mass shootings this year alone, that's more than quintuple the 112 in 28 years claimed by statista.com.
Agreed, the definitions are all over the place (I did not see slyjoe's post you reference). This chart was the top hit and included to-the-point information. Snopes and others had similar findings, though.

Are you sure the selections you post are entirely representative? Pretty sure you haven't missed any articles nationwide, or do we take the ones you picked as cleanly representative of race of the shooter?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:12 PM   #1969
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Are you sure the selections you post are entirely representative? Pretty sure you haven't missed any articles nationwide, or do we take the ones you picked as cleanly representative of race of the shooter?

The New York Times analyzed two publicly available databases on mass shootings(four or more victims) from 2015, of the identifiable shooters from the 358 separate incidents, 75% were black.
Quote:
Seeking deeper insight into the phenomenon, The New York Times identified and analyzed these 358 shootings with four or more casualties, drawing on two databases assembled from news reports and citizen contributors, and then verifying details with law enforcement agencies.

Over all, though, nearly three-fourths of victims and suspected assailants whose race could be identified were black.

2015 could have been a fluke, but I see no reason to believe that.

Last edited by Bogative; 2nd December 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:49 PM   #1970
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The New York Times analyzed two publicly available databases on mass shootings(four or more victims) from 2015, of the identifiable shooters from the 358 separate incidents, 75% were black.

2015 could have been a fluke, but I see no reason to believe that.
There was another profoundly sobering FBI statistic about 2/3 of the way down that NYT article: black men are six times more likely to be the shooter in nationwide gun homicides (6x more likely to be victims, too). That is one of the most inexplicably dramatic statistics I have heard.

Old 2nd December 2020, 11:04 PM   #1971
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Still no motive on that string of shootings in and near Henderson, Nevada on Thanksgiving. The three people arrested were a pair of brothers, and one of their wives.

Reports say that there is a possibility they will be charged with hate crimes, in addition to plain old murder, but there's no public statements about motive. However, photos of one have been released, and I assume he was angry at the world for being so ugly. And he loved his tattoos. Maybe he hated everyone.
Old 11th December 2020, 05:20 PM   #1972
Bogative
Graduate Poster

There was another profoundly sobering FBI statistic about 2/3 of the way down that NYT article: black men are six times more likely to be the shooter in nationwide gun homicides (6x more likely to be victims, too). That is one of the most inexplicably dramatic statistics I have heard.
Just wait until you stumble across the statistics involving interracial aggravated assault and rape rates.
Old 11th December 2020, 05:38 PM   #1973
Bogative
Graduate Poster

With today's Supreme Court ruling it's time to wrap up the death versus injuries count.

December 1 – Morrisville, Pennsylvania – 1 dead, 3 injured
December 4 – Chicago, Illinois – 4 injured
December 5 – Autryville, North Carolina – 6 injured
December 5 – Hayward, California – 1 dead, 3 injured
December 6 – Venus, Texas – 6 injured
December 8 – Lacombe, Louisiana – 2 dead, 3 injured
December 10 – Metairie, Louisiana – 2 dead, 2 injured

By my count, since election day on November 3, there have been

45 killed and 196 injured in 49 separate mass shootings.

Now to see if the number surpasses 600 before the end of the year.
Old 24th January 2021, 10:38 PM   #1974
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Five dead in Indianapolis.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/us/in...rnd/index.html

The headline I saw included "the worse mass shooting in more than a decade." They meant in Indianapolis, of course.

More than a decade, eh? Isn't that something? It has been more than 10 years since one person killed five or more people in Indianapolis.
Old 9th February 2021, 12:15 PM   #1975
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: Five people were injured and a suspect is in custody after a shooting at the Allina Health Care Clinic in Buffalo, Minnesota, on Tuesday, according to Wright County spokesman John Holler.

Three people were critically injured and were airlifted out, he said. He described the incident as a shooting and said there were no bombs on the scene.
Old 9th February 2021, 12:20 PM   #1976
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
CNN: Five people were injured and a suspect is in custody after a shooting at the Allina Health Care Clinic in Buffalo, Minnesota, on Tuesday, according to Wright County spokesman John Holler.

Three people were critically injured and were airlifted out, he said. He described the incident as a shooting and said there were no bombs on the scene.
Mixed reporting, some claiming up to 4 bombs that detonated. hard to say at this point, breaking news is often incorrect.
Old 9th February 2021, 01:10 PM   #1977
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Kare 11 News: Police dispatch audio initially reported 15 shots fired, and later shared an audio clip of an officer reporting as many as five critically wounded. Authorities have not yet confirmed those numbers. Dispatchers were heard on Broadcastify stating that a male said he had four "homemade explosives" that all went off.
Old 9th February 2021, 01:21 PM   #1978
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said there was an "active shooter situation and some improvised explosive devices." The FBI and ATF are involved in the investigation because of the explosive devices, he said.

Images of the scene show several of the clinic's front windows were shattered.

Holler told CNN there were no bombs on scene. However, at about 2:20 p.m., first responders took an item from inside the clinic and placed it into a spherical contraption attached to the back of a Minneapolis Police bomb squad truck, video from CNN affiliate WCCO shows.
Old 10th February 2021, 06:12 AM   #1979
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Mixed reporting, some claiming up to 4 bombs that detonated. hard to say at this point, breaking news is often incorrect.
One nurse murdered, four other staff injured. The murderer has a history of "anti-government" activities and beliefs, and a prescription drug habit that had caused problems with the clinic.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:49 AM   #1980
Bogative
Graduate Poster

74 mass shootings.

76 dead.

191 injured.

That's the total from January and February this year. I haven't heard about any of these being perpetrated by the white right-wing Domestic Violent Extremist the Democrat Party and their media allies have been manufacturing fear of for the last two months.

Did I just miss the coverage?
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:52 AM   #1981
Steve
Philosopher

74 mass shootings.

76 dead.

191 injured.

That's the total from January and February this year. I haven't heard about any of these being perpetrated by the white right-wing Domestic Violent Extremist the Democrat Party and their media allies have been manufacturing fear of for the last two months.

Those are definitely numbers for all Americans to be proud of.
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:21 PM   #1982
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

74 mass shootings.
76 dead.
191 injured.

The US population is 8.75 times that of Canada. By the list above, we should have seen (number are rounded down):
  • 8 mass shootings
  • 8 dead
  • 21 injured
Instead we have:
  • Zero mass shootings
  • Zero dead
  • Zero injured
Why is there such a difference?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:48 PM   #1983
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
The US population is 8.75 times that of Canada. By the list above, we should have seen (number are rounded down):
  • 8 mass shootings
  • 8 dead
  • 21 injured
Instead we have:
  • Zero mass shootings
  • Zero dead
  • Zero injured
Perhaps you missed Bogative's point. He has no issue with the numbers - that is merely the price of freedom. He is just relieved that no responsibility can be hung on any particular "white right-wing Domestic Violent Extremist". You know, his kind of people.
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:47 PM   #1984
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

74 mass shootings.

76 dead.

191 injured.

Imagine posting this less than two months after Trump-supporting right wing terrorists attacked the U.S. Capitol in a violent insurrection and thinking it was some kind of mic drop.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:46 PM   #1985
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Imagine posting this less than two months after Trump-supporting right wing terrorists attacked the U.S. Capitol in a violent insurrection and thinking it was some kind of mic drop.

Insurrection and attempting to assassinate elected folk is quite a step-up from murdering ordinary people. Hats off to this new breed of Right Wing Supermoron!
Old 4th March 2021, 06:23 PM   #1986
Bogative
Graduate Poster

America is a more violent society? It’s something I’m sure we can figure out but we are preoccupied with distractive non-problems like Russia hoaxes, BLM, White supremacy, books/movies/TV shows/cartoons that are considered problematic to bother.
Old 4th March 2021, 06:41 PM   #1987
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Imagine spending all your time focusing on the mole hill that was January 6 and ignoring the mountain of dead bodies piling up because their deaths can’t be blamed on Trump.

93 homicides in Chicago so far this year but keep focusing on the two homicides at the Capitol.
Old 4th March 2021, 08:10 PM   #1988
mgidm86
Philosopher

Pretty sure the homicides at the Capitol are not what people are worried about, it's the whole "using violence and attempting to kill elected officials in order to stop the transfer of power" that is concerning.

Last I'm gonna say about it here. That one poster can't understand, or pretends not to, is of little concern to me. I should thank you for using the childish avatar, it's like a sign that says "Don't even bother, I'm a moron"
Old 4th March 2021, 08:26 PM   #1989
johnny karate

Imagine spending all your time focusing on the mole hill that was January 6 and ignoring the mountain of dead bodies piling up because their deaths can’t be blamed on Trump.

93 homicides in Chicago so far this year but keep focusing on the two homicides at the Capitol.
Imagine being a Trump supporter and thinking that bringing up body count is a good idea after Trump did nothing while half a million Americans died.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 10:27 PM   #1990
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Imagine being a Trump supporter and thinking that bringing up body count is a good idea after Trump did nothing while half a million Americans died.
2.5 million people have died from Covid, you forgot to blame two million deaths on Trump.

Back to the topic.

Five people shot at a convenience store in DC. That’s more numbers that will be ignored because it can’t be blamed on Trump.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/5-people...-dc-police-say
Old 4th March 2021, 10:58 PM   #1991
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

To be fair, a lot of Americans would have died even if the response was exemplary across the board. Had the US responded with the same effectiveness as Canada, the death toll would likely be about 195,000 as of today.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 07:33 AM   #1992
johnny karate

2.5 million people have died from Covid, you forgot to blame two million deaths on Trump.

Back to the topic.

Five people shot at a convenience store in DC. That’s more numbers that will be ignored because it can’t be blamed on Trump.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/5-people...-dc-police-say
You do you, but you’ll have a hard time convincing anyone that you actually care about any of this.

Trump supporters have officially come out against both law and order and protecting lives.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:58 AM   #1993
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

To be fair, a lot of Americans would have died even if the response was exemplary across the board. Had the US responded with the same effectiveness as Canada, the death toll would likely be about 195,000 as of today.
What if we had responded with the same effectiveness as New Zealand and Australia?

I know, its not a fair comparison. They both had functioning governments when the pandemic hit. A country as poor as the US can't expect to be the best at things like this.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2021, 09:33 AM   #1994
Bogative
Graduate Poster

2 killed, 13 wounded at a pop-up party on Chicago's South side.

Until the police release a description of the perpetrators, I'm just going to assume it's the Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer, Oath Keepers or another right wing DVE I keep hearing about being the biggest threat to America.
Old 16th March 2021, 02:02 AM   #1995
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I see that an armed society continues to be a polite society.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 08:57 PM   #1996
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I see that an armed society continues to be a polite society.
Well, they were only Asians, so Marge won't be bothered.

(Question: where was the good guy with a gun)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 10:40 PM   #1997
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well, they were only Asians, so Marge won't be bothered.

(Question: where was the good guy with a gun)

Thank goodness none of his victims were armed, someone could have been hurt.
Old 17th March 2021, 05:16 AM   #1998
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Thank goodness none of his victims were armed, someone could have been hurt.
Exactly, what were they thinking, working in or going to a massage shop unarmed.
If they'd had body armor and heavy machine guns this would not have happened, which is of course a totally reasonable thing to expect in such an environment.

But I doubt anything ever will make the US realize that gun control might be good. After all gun control means taking away your freedom to shoot anyone you do not like, and that's communism.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 02:28 PM   #1999
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I suppose technically we don't know if more than four people will end up getting injured by the time the incident is over; but for what it's worth, there's currently a madman shooting up a grocery store (and shooting at the responding police) in Boulder, Colorado, according to multiple reports.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 02:41 PM   #2000
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I suppose technically we don't know if more than four people will end up getting injured by the time the incident is over; but for what it's worth, there's currently a madman shooting up a grocery store (and shooting at the responding police) in Boulder, Colorado, according to multiple reports.
More details here, 'many down', apparently. Oh dear, and 'multiple shooters'. America, what is going on?

Quote:
Colorado authorities are responding to an active shooter situation at a supermarket.

'ALERT: Active Shooter at the King Soopers on Table Mesa. AVOID THE AREA. PIO is en-route,' officers from the Boulder Police Department tweeted just before 3pm local time.

According to BNO News, there are reports of 'multiple people down'. There are also reports of their being 'multiple shooters inside' the store.

Video from local outlets show the grocery store surrounded by police and other first responders.

In one video, police are heard announcing: 'The entire building is surrounded. You need to surrender. Come out with your hands up, unarmed.'
DM

vilken trφst, vad δn som kommer pε!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events