IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 14th April 2021, 07:03 PM   #1
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Trump Flags

Has any other POTUS had a flag with his name on it? I donít remember one but I donít remember so well anymore and I donít usually keep up with political news, but my little town has some people flying this flag and I donít like it. I wonder if this new 45 brand will be emblazoned on a flag like the ones who flew a on theirs?
Old 14th April 2021, 07:25 PM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Has any other POTUS had a flag with his name on it? I donít remember one but I donít remember so well anymore and I donít usually keep up with political news, but my little town has some people flying this flag and I donít like it. I wonder if this new 45 brand will be emblazoned on a flag like the ones who flew a on theirs?
I don't recall seeing flags with any president's or presidential candidate's names on them. I can't see many presidents wanting flags with their names on them. Of course, most presidents and candidates have the good sense to avoid imagery that might look like an attempt to supplant democracy and replace it their own, autocratic rule.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 08:43 PM   #3
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
In short, yes.

A quick google search shows up that there were plenty of flags with "Binden 2020" on them. Also, there were US flags with the stars removed and Obama's image added, as well as Obama HOPE flags. In a quick search, I was able to go back to "Reagan/Bush '84" flags. So both sides have had them previously.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Donal
Illuminator

There's always been flags and banners. But nothing like what the Orange Weakling's fans were doing. Most of the time, the big stuff was reserved for a candidate's events. The most you would see out I the wild were t-shirts, bumper stickers, and maybe a yard sign. You might see the occasional...passionate...person with a tattoo of the candidate, but those were rare.

You didn't have people with the Bush/Cheney flags flapping from their pickups, blocking the view of the drivers behind them. You didn't have posters of Bill Clinton drawn with exaggerated "masculine".
Old 15th April 2021, 08:24 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah I'm sure you can find some niche products and the rare super-obsessed supporter, but nobody had the mass produced cult of personality fandom products the way Trump did.

I didn't see a single pickup truck driving away dual wielding full size Obama or Bush flags for damn sure.

Obama did gain a little bit of the cult of personality with the black community (I remember a black comedian saying something to effect of now every black grandmother has a picture to put up next to the picture of MLK) and that's hardly surprising given the context, but even that manifested in a drastically different way.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 15th April 2021 at 08:25 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2021, 09:33 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
In short, yes.

A quick google search shows up that there were plenty of flags with "Binden 2020" on them. Also, there were US flags with the stars removed and Obama's image added, as well as Obama HOPE flags. In a quick search, I was able to go back to "Reagan/Bush '84" flags. So both sides have had them previously.
True, but not in nearly the numbers, though. Trump flags in the States were everywhere: yards, houses, trucks, Still are, believe it or not. And none seem to support Republicans in general; just the ex-POTUS. No accompanying signs for Republican governors or congressmen. Just him, usually accompanied by gun nut stickers and other more socially oriented positions, rather than political. The flag thing is intensely weird in the States.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

We had a Biden/Harris flag hung from the third floor of our house until just after the inauguration.

eta: IIRC, there was a thread, or part of a thread, about Obama was replacing the Presidential Seal with that logo he had, but it was paranoid right-wing nonsense. I can't find it at the moment.

eta2: Found it. It's not quite the same as I remembered it.

eta3: Holy cow. We had more than one thread about that logo. This must have been the thread I was thinking of.

Last edited by Upchurch; 15th April 2021 at 11:15 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2021, 04:47 PM   #8
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
True, but not in nearly the numbers, though. Trump flags in the States were everywhere: yards, houses, trucks, Still are, believe it or not. And none seem to support Republicans in general; just the ex-POTUS. No accompanying signs for Republican governors or congressmen. Just him, usually accompanied by gun nut stickers and other more socially oriented positions, rather than political. The flag thing is intensely weird in the States.

This is what I was concerned with. Some folks around here arenít letting this election go, Trump signs still in the yards, a U.S. flag flying upside down near a Trump flag.

I will never forget hearing Donny Jr. on Jan. 6 hollering ďThis is the Donald Trump Republican Party.Ē When a political party starts celebrating the mouth more than the message that came out of it, itís time for a change.
Old 15th April 2021, 05:03 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
We had a Biden/Harris flag hung from the third floor of our house until just after the inauguration.

eta: IIRC, there was a thread, or part of a thread, about Obama was replacing the Presidential Seal with that logo he had, but it was paranoid right-wing nonsense. I can't find it at the moment.

eta2: Found it. It's not quite the same as I remembered it.

eta3: Holy cow. We had more than one thread about that logo. This must have been the thread I was thinking of.
Interesting that nearly all of the posters in those threads are no longer with us.
Old 16th April 2021, 08:19 AM   #10
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I noticed yesterday that the neighbor finally got rid of his Trump flag.

Then again, it was being all ripped to shreds. Cheap piece of cloth.
Old 16th April 2021, 08:23 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

I'd really like to undertand how cults of personality form, and why they always seem attached to be biggest monsters on the planet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 12:58 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I saw one just today, under an American flag and one of those police-loving ones. I call the latter a "We hate *******" flag.
Old 16th April 2021, 01:01 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hell my neighbor still has his up.

The neighbor across the street has a pride flag up. Two neighbors down has the "Don't Step on Me" flag and the guy across the street from him put up the "NO STEP ON SNEK!" parody one.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 01:25 PM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Hell my neighbor still has his up.

The neighbor across the street has a pride flag up. Two neighbors down has the "Don't Step on Me" flag and the guy across the street from him put up the "NO STEP ON SNEK!" parody one.
Ridicule. That's the way to do it!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 03:22 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Conservative, usually lower socio-economic, Americans have always been weirdly obsessed with the flag and publicly showing their patriotism...or what they think is patriotism.... by flying it from/ slapping it all over their vehicles (usually trucks) and houses, or wearing clothes resembling it. They think the more they show it, the more patriotic it makes them. I've always thought it exceedingly strange. And stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 06:56 PM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Conservative, usually lower socio-economic, Americans have always been weirdly obsessed with the flag and publicly showing their patriotism...or what they think is patriotism.... by flying it from/ slapping it all over their vehicles (usually trucks) and houses, or wearing clothes resembling it. They think the more they show it, the more patriotic it makes them. I've always thought it exceedingly strange. And stupid.
It is weird, and sort of often overlooked is that the Conservative White Lower Class obsession with THE flag is part of their obsession with flags in general.

I have no idea which is the chicken and which is the egg here but yeah Rednecks love flags as symbols.
Old 17th April 2021, 01:48 AM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Obama flag at Florida Democratic Party office removed after veterans call it ‘disrespectful’

In this particular case I agree that the flag in question was in poor taste (follow the link to see it). If it wasn't made to look like an American flag I guess it would be OK.
Old 17th April 2021, 05:58 AM   #18
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Obama flag at Florida Democratic Party office removed after veterans call it Ďdisrespectfulí

In this particular case I agree that the flag in question was in poor taste (follow the link to see it). If it wasn't made to look like an American flag I guess it would be OK.
Oof. That is not a good design.
Old 17th April 2021, 07:35 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Oof. That is not a good design.
But the cop flags modeled on the American flag are just fine!
Old 17th April 2021, 08:03 AM   #20
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
But the cop flags modeled on the American flag are just fine!
Hey, that's only disrespectful to black people so it's not a problem.
Old 17th April 2021, 09:15 AM   #21
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Right now I am about 40 miles outside of Huntsville, Texas.

There are Trump flags aflying.
Old 17th April 2021, 10:20 AM   #22
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen a different one since the inauguration. All black and white, instead of r,w&, b. Does this mean something specific, or just a seller choice?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2021, 10:47 AM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I've seen a different one since the inauguration. All black and white, instead of r,w&, b. Does this mean something specific, or just a seller choice?
A Trump flag, or just one styled after the American flag? If the latter, it has one blue stripe and is the cop flag I've mentioned.
Old 17th April 2021, 10:53 AM   #24
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A Trump flag, or just one styled after the American flag? If the latter, it has one blue stripe and is the cop flag I've mentioned.
Didn't see them completely unfurled, but both looked like 'Trump' in black letters on a white field in the middle, and black and white horizontal stripes above and below. No other colors or field where the stars would be

Old 18th April 2021, 01:12 AM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Right now I am about 40 miles outside of Huntsville, Texas.

There are Trump flags aflying.
My condolences. I assume it's just a temporary thing?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics