IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 21st December 2020, 03:27 AM   #1201
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a reddit post with sources, which lays out the defunding of cyber-security programmes
Old 21st December 2020, 04:40 AM   #1202
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Only if they are illegal aliens.
Guardians of the Galaxy U.S./Mexican Border!
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 04:41 AM   #1203
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Worth bearing in mind that Trump defunded cybersecurity departments.
Including ending cybersecurity teams which had specific focus on Russia, if I'm hearing correctly.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:41 PM   #1204
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Including ending cybersecurity teams which had specific focus on Russia, if I'm hearing correctly.
Why use all that money when you can just ask Putin?
Old 20th January 2021, 11:16 AM   #1205
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

(Thread Bump)

Not sure if this means anything, but:

AP (via an ABC affiliate)
In his final full day in office, President Donald Trump says he has declassified information related to the FBI’s investigation into ties between Russia and his 2016 presidential campaign.
Trump says he has accepted redactions proposed by the FBI, which had objected to the declassification.

Not sure what his game is here... is it an attempt to scuttle any remaining investigations?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:00 PM   #1206
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I can't get over Putin's "alleged" billion dollar palace. Not that he has it. That apparently it's only got 11 bedrooms. You can get a 4 bedroom house here for under 300k. A billion dollars and he only gets 11 bedrooms? He got ripped off. Or "whoever the real owner is" did.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:07 PM   #1207
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I can't get over Putin's "alleged" billion dollar palace. Not that he has it. That apparently it's only got 11 bedrooms. You can get a 4 bedroom house here for under 300k. A billion dollars and he only gets 11 bedrooms? He got ripped off. Or "whoever the real owner is" did.
ah, but Putin's Pad has 11 Golden Showers.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:11 PM   #1208
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I am sure it did not cost that much. Difference goes straight to Putin's pocket.
Old 29th January 2021, 01:37 AM   #1209
Aridas

‘The perfect target’: Russia cultivated Trump as asset for 40 years – ex-KGB spy
Old 29th January 2021, 02:25 AM   #1210
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

as the article mentions, it is hard to understand why Mueller didn't investigate the hundreds of contacts between Trump and Russia.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 02:33 AM   #1211
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
as the article mentions, it is hard to understand why Mueller didn't investigate the hundreds of contacts between Trump and Russia.
I will just leave this here:

Trump and Putin discuss The Americans
Old 29th January 2021, 03:04 AM   #1212
Aridas

Perhaps. There's a few considerations in play, though, likely. First, Mueller was sticking fairly well to campaign matters. He apparently referred a whole bunch of things to the FBI, who supposedly should have been handling the more general stuff and counter-intelligence stuff. Also of particular note, though - Rosenstein, who controlled what he could investigate, apparently killed his ability to investigate into Trump-Russia connections... without informing the FBI of his decision to do so. So, we pretty much had a situation where Mueller and the FBI both thought that the other was handling that, because of Rosenstein, the guy who helped Trump come up with an excuse to fire Comey.
Old 16th March 2021, 08:55 PM   #1213
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Thread bump...

Russian President Vladimir Putin likely directed efforts to try to swing the 2020 U.S. presidential election to Donald Trump, according to an American intelligence report...The 15-page report, released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, added heft to longstanding allegations that some of Trump's top lieutenants were playing into Moscow's hands by amplifying claims made against then-candidate Joe Biden by Russian-linked Ukrainian figures... It also added new findings that Putin either oversaw or at least approved of the election meddling to benefit Trump.
The report also punctured a counter-narrative pushed by Trump's allies that China was interfering on Biden's behalf, concluding that Beijing "did not deploy interference efforts."...U.S. officials said they also saw efforts by Cuba, Venezuela and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah to influence the election, although "in general, we assess that they were smaller in scale than those conducted by Russia and Iran."

I have to admit, I am a little surprised... Even if Russia preferred a Trump victory, the poor polling and approval ratings suggested Biden would be the likely winner even if Russia did help, so by trying to interfere on Trump's behalf in 2020 they will ruin any sort of plausible deniability.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2021, 01:18 AM   #1214
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I have to admit, I am a little surprised... Even if Russia preferred a Trump victory, the poor polling and approval ratings suggested Biden would be the likely winner even if Russia did help, so by trying to interfere on Trump's behalf in 2020 they will ruin any sort of plausible deniability.
Yeah, but do we need plausible deniability anymore? For the True Believers, there's no such thing as implausible deniability.
Old 17th March 2021, 01:19 AM   #1215
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Thread bump...

Russian President Vladimir Putin likely directed efforts to try to swing the 2020 U.S. presidential election to Donald Trump, according to an American intelligence report...The 15-page report, released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, added heft to longstanding allegations that some of Trump's top lieutenants were playing into Moscow's hands by amplifying claims made against then-candidate Joe Biden by Russian-linked Ukrainian figures... It also added new findings that Putin either oversaw or at least approved of the election meddling to benefit Trump.
The report also punctured a counter-narrative pushed by Trump's allies that China was interfering on Biden's behalf, concluding that Beijing "did not deploy interference efforts."...U.S. officials said they also saw efforts by Cuba, Venezuela and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah to influence the election, although "in general, we assess that they were smaller in scale than those conducted by Russia and Iran."

And here is that report

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/16/p...020/index.html

It is damning. Here are some of the highlights

1. In February, the FBI's DC Field Office posted a US$250,000 reward for any information leading to the capture of Konstantin Kilimnik. He is assessed by the FBI to have close ties to Russian intelligence. While an arrest warrant was issued for him in 2018, the FBI appear to be stepping up their effort to get him.
For those who haven't been paying attention, Kilimnik is the guy with whom Paul Manafort shared opposition research on the Clinton campaign, research which the FSB (Russian Intelligence) almost certainly used to help direct their pro-Trump influence and misinformation campaigns. His name featured prominently in the Mueller Report, as well as in the bi-partisan Senate Intelligence Committee report on interference in the 2016 election.

2. Kilimnik is assessed by the FBI and the Intel Community to have carried out operations inside the US on behalf of the FSB in both the 2016 and 2020 Presidential elections, to get Trump into the WH in 2016 and to keep him there in 2020.
3. The FSB's strategy in their 2020 election meddling was to use people linked to Russian intelligence to launder "influence narratives" including misleading and unsubstantiated allegations against candidate Biden through US media organizations, US Officials and prominent US individuals, some of whom were close to Trump and his administration.
For "US media organizations" read Fox News, OANN and Newsmax among others. The Russians fed disinformation to those news organisations. Their confirmation bias led them to eagerly and unquestioningly lap it all up. It seems almost certain now that Hunter Biden's alleged laptop was a plant by Russian agents working for the FSB or Kilimnik.

4. The Intelligence community also uncovered narratives that Russian actors began spreading as early as 2014 alleging corrupt ties between the Biden family and officials in Ukraine and well as a network of individuals linked to Ukraine.
....yes, that is not a typo, I did mean 2014!! This early, the Russians identified Biden as a potential threat for the 2020 election were they able to get their man in in 2016.

5. Throughout the 2020 election cycle, the Russians took steps to damage the relationship between the US and Ukraine in order to undermine candidate Biden, and to benefit Trump.
6. The Intelligence report also assesses that this Russian intelligence network also tried to discredit the Obama administration by emphasizing accusations of corruption by US officials and falsely blame Ukraine for interfering in the 2016 US Presidential election
This is the exact assessment that was testified to before the Senate Intelligence Committee... that the attempt to lay the blame on Ukraine for the 2016 election interference was an obvious Russian disinformation campaign. A whole bunch of dumb as toast Republican Congress-critters (and a good number this forum's equally dumb Trump sycophants) fell for that disinformation hook, like and sinker, and parroted it to anyone who would listen.

7. The Russian proxies and associates met with and provided materials to Trump administration linked US individuals to advocate for formal investigations of the Bidens. They hired a US firm to petition officials and made attempts to make contact with several Senior US officials. They also made contact with prominent US media figures and helped produce a documentary that was aired on a US TV network January 2020.
For "Trump administration linked US individuals" read Rudi Giuliani. He was Trump's back channel to corrupt former Ukraine officials, Yuriy Lutsenko and Andrii Derkach, who between them, with the assistance of Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, were instrumental to the ouster of Amb Marie Yovanovitch, the key roadblock to Trump getting Ukraine investigation of the Bidens that he desperately wanted. Giuliani met repeatedly with Derkach throughout 2019 and 2020. He fed Giuliani load of disinformation that was used in the latter's various media appearances. Giuliani continued to defend Derkach even after he was sanctioned by the US Government as a Russian agent

Its worth noting that SDNY sought a search warrant for Giuliani's electronic devices as part of their criminal investigation into his actions. Bill Barr put a stop to that, and then fired the SDNY official who was heading the investigation - US Attorney Geoff Berman.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th March 2021 at 01:21 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2021, 01:35 AM   #1216
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As with all things Trump: if he denies it, that's Probable Cause to investigate.
Old 17th March 2021, 01:58 AM   #1217
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As with all things Trump: if he denies it, that's Probable Cause to investigate.
True and/or if he accuses someone else of it.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2021, 09:02 AM   #1218
Aridas

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This early, the Russians identified Biden as a potential threat for the 2020 election were they able to get their man in in 2016.
Evidence for this part? It's not unthinkable, but... trying to create divisions between Ukraine and the US during the Obama Administration (as was also specifically said in 6) would seem to be far more indicated, with that work simply then being more emphasized and taken advantage of when Biden became candidate.
Old 17th March 2021, 09:08 AM   #1219
wareyin
Philosopher

Evidence for this part? It's not unthinkable, but... trying to create divisions between Ukraine and the US during the Obama Administration (as was also specifically said in 6) would seem to be far more indicated, with that work simply then being more emphasized and taken advantage of when Biden became candidate.
I think that back in 2014, Biden was seen as the most probable Dem candidate in 2016. This was before his son died and caused him to step back from politics in 2015, after all.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2021, 09:39 AM   #1220
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Re: Russia interfering in the 2020 election...
Quote:
Yeah, but do we need plausible deniability anymore? For the True Believers, there's no such thing as implausible deniability.
I was thinking more in terms of how an incoming Democratic president would deal with Russia.

While I don't think the Democrats would every be "Friendly" with Putin/Russia, there are of course different levels of hostility. Had Russia kept quiet in the 2020 election, eventually Biden might have been able to decide "OK, these are rivals but we still have to deal with them." Now, there's a good chance that (for example) new sanctions will be imposed.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 17th March 2021, 11:31 AM   #1221
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That is my opinion, based on my (admittedly incomplete) knowledge of US politics. As wareyn said, in 2014, Biden would have been a very likely Dem candidate for 2016 and while the Russians had other reasons to stoke distrust between the US and Ukraine, the fact that they used the Biden family as a conduit seems to me to lead to the obvious conclusion that they saw him as a threat to their plan to put their useful idiot in the White House.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2021, 12:10 PM   #1222
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
True and/or if he accuses someone else of it.
The lone exception: I'm fairly certain Trump wasn't born in Kenya.
Old 18th March 2021, 02:37 AM   #1223
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Thread bump...

That is so despicable! To interfere in the elections of a country that would never stoop to interfering in the elections in other countries!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2021, 03:35 PM   #1224
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some more stuff on Russia and the Republicans...

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) this week released a declassified intelligence community assessment on foreign threats to our 2020 elections...multiple references in the intelligence community's findings to a pro-Russian official by the name of Andriy Derkach....
Derkach claimed he fed information to Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.)...Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.) pressed Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.)...on whether the Republican had received anti-Biden information from Derkach....Maloney spoke yesterday to MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace and said, "[T]he fact is that [Russian operatives] were so comfortable using people like Devin Nunes that Andriy Derkach -- a known Russian asset -- sent information to Devin Nunes at the Intelligence Committee. We literally had the package receipt."

Should be a surprise to absolutely know one that Nunes and Johnson are basically Russian stooges.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th March 2021, 05:13 PM   #1225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Some more stuff on Russia and the Republicans...

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) this week released a declassified intelligence community assessment on foreign threats to our 2020 elections...multiple references in the intelligence community's findings to a pro-Russian official by the name of Andriy Derkach....
Derkach claimed he fed information to Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.)...Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.) pressed Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.)...on whether the Republican had received anti-Biden information from Derkach....Maloney spoke yesterday to MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace and said, "[T]he fact is that [Russian operatives] were so comfortable using people like Devin Nunes that Andriy Derkach -- a known Russian asset -- sent information to Devin Nunes at the Intelligence Committee. We literally had the package receipt."

Should be a surprise to absolutely know one that Nunes and Johnson are basically Russian stooges.
The turds don't fall far from the Trumphole.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2021, 01:36 AM   #1226
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Huh. Looks like there was collusion after all

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics