IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 21st February 2021, 08:26 PM   #3161
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yes, the number of people reporting having been assaulted by the alleged rapist has grown to four. There's a serial rapist at large in Parliament House and I for one would like to know what's being done about that.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:46 PM   #3162
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If a person treats another person inappropriately they probably also treat other people in the same way. The only solution is to get rid of this person. Either that or you endorse the behaviour.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes, the number of people reporting having been assaulted by the alleged rapist has grown to four. There's a serial rapist at large in Parliament House and I for one would like to know what's being done about that.
And the actual number I suggest could grow. He seems to have had the attitude that vulnerable females should be sexually abused. I suggest that everyone who knew, or should have known, of the allegations and did nothing about it is an accessory before the fact.

Here is the news article about the four women.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...-case/13178190
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:57 PM   #3163
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Craig Kelly has just quit the Liberal Party.
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:31 PM   #3164
Thor 2
Philosopher

Craig's office is under investigation due to inappropriate behaviour by one Mr Zumbo.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...kelly/13184948

Quote:
Mr Kelly has previously vigorously defended Mr Zumbo and said standing him aside was one of the options the Prime Minister's staff had put to him last week.
"I said at the moment, there are no charges that have been laid, there is an AVO application which has been publicly known for at least six months that doesn't affect his ongoing work and I see no grounds for him to be thrown under the bus," he told the ABC last week.

So Kelly is standing by his man.

Maybe he has alternative views about sexual harassment to go along with the alternative medicine leaning.
Old 24th February 2021, 03:23 PM   #3165
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Peter Dutton defends handling of information around Brittany Higgins rape allegation

Quote:
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has defended his decision not to tell the Prime Minister about an alleged sexual assault in Parliament, saying it was a sensitive, operational matter.

Brittany Higgins alleged she was raped by a male colleague inside a minister's office two years ago.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) briefed Mr Dutton days before the allegations became public.

He described the information he received as "high level" and "more around the process than the detail" of the alleged offence.
The brussels sprout is not doing himself any favours here, in my opinion.
Old 25th February 2021, 12:59 AM   #3166
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Peter Dutton defends handling of information around Brittany Higgins rape allegation

Beat me to it. Everyone knows that “he said, she said” is nothing other than casting doubt on a woman’s rape allegation. And from an ex-cop, this does not surprise at all.

The Coalition’s handling of this issue simply couldn’t be worse.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 04:08 AM   #3167
Wildy
Adelaidean

I want to say that Dutton is an idiot, but I honestly feel like most of his actions are due to malice and not stupidity.

As an aside, I feel like the highlighted bit would be more applicable to Cormann.
Old 25th February 2021, 05:32 AM   #3168
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Higgins and one of the other victims both said they advised the AFP years ago at the time of the offences. One of them made a formal complaint (Higgins did not AFAIK). The AFP should then have immediately advised the minister responsible (Home Affairs?) for managing government employees inside Parliament House at that time as a matter of course. That minister was Dutton.

So if the AFP did their job then Dutton or his office must surely have been informed then. If they did not then the AFP has failed in their duty. Personally I believe they did inform someone.

If Dutton's staff only were advised but failed to advise Dutton then they are grossly negligent and culpable.

If Dutton was advised, either directly from the AFP or by his staff, and has done nothing for years then his position as minister is untenable, and he has been, frankly, criminally negligent in failing to deal with at least one serious crime.

And if indeed he was informed a while back then he is lying now.

But this is the sort of attitude that Dutton brings to the job. He is a relic of the Queensland Bjelke Peterson "brown paper bags of cash" days, being a copper at the time when half the Qld force was on the take. They would be quite prepared to overlook an offence or two if there was something in it for them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 25th February 2021 at 05:34 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 05:29 PM   #3169
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
As an aside, I feel like the highlighted bit would be more applicable to Cormann.
Fair, but brussels sprout is how First Dog refers to him, so with me it's just stuck.
Old 25th February 2021, 06:35 PM   #3170
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ali France is running against Dutton again. Good luck to her.
Old 26th February 2021, 05:23 PM   #3171
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Proof the 501s are working out nicely for Australia.

In the past one month, not only was the week-long and highly-destructive Waikeria Prison riot started by 501s, we've had - in the past three days - #1, a 501 who became President of the NZ Commancheros sentenced to 15 years for meth, #2, a double murderer who served 15 years in Aussie now locked up for another 15 years for sexually molesting his girlfriend's young children, and #3, one who won't add to NZ's prison costs, because the cops shot and killed him last night. Not sure what his 501 was for, but he was definitely deported under the rule.

Thanks, Australia!

Can we send Brenton Tarrant back now?
Old 26th February 2021, 06:08 PM   #3172
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
<snip>

Can we send Brenton Tarrant back now?
NZ has not sent him back already? Or is NZ waiting until his sentence is up?
Old 26th February 2021, 06:17 PM   #3173
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
NZ has not sent him back already? Or is NZ waiting until his sentence is up?
Sadly, the latter, and since the sentence is life without parole, I'm picking he'll die in a NZ prison.
Old 27th February 2021, 02:11 PM   #3174
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yes I certainly second that.

Not that I know much about Ali France mind you, but I would back the proverbial "Drovers Dog" in preference to Dutton.
Old 1st March 2021, 03:36 AM   #3175
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Who is the minister?

If its supposed to be a new appointee and not from NSW, someone does stand out.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 1st March 2021 at 03:58 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 04:56 AM   #3176
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Sadly, the latter, and since the sentence is life without parole, I'm picking he'll die in a NZ prison.
As long as that prison is on the Bounty Islands, that's fine by me.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 05:05 AM   #3177
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Who is the minister?

If its supposed to be a new appointee and not from NSW, someone does stand out.
Not that many old enough. My bet is Ken Wyatt. But I have no reason to think this.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 05:17 AM   #3178
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Christian Porters name is getting thrown about.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 10:50 AM   #3179
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yes more likely as details come out.

I assumed the rape was committed by an older man, but the woman and the rapist were both teenagers. She killed herself last year at age 50. Porter is 51.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 1st March 2021, 01:50 PM   #3180
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Scott Morrison will fail to lead or show any moral fortitude. A total coward.
Old 1st March 2021, 05:08 PM   #3181
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

I got Angus Taylor as front runner from news room gossip , but with no supporting evidence.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 07:45 PM   #3182
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

But what marketing skillz!
Old 1st March 2021, 08:11 PM   #3183
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I got Angus Taylor as front runner from news room gossip , but with no supporting evidence.
Look around Reddit and Twitter. Debating comps seem to be a Porter link. It’s only a matter of time before he makes a statement.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 1st March 2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 1st March 2021, 09:45 PM   #3184
Thor 2
Philosopher

Aww..... now now. I bet he's praying like mad.
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:29 AM   #3185
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Presser tomorrow morning. Will be Porter. Vehemently denies but stepping down in interests of country and party. Thats how these things go. Or if Scotty is standing beside him it means they are digging in.
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:06 AM   #3186
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Presser tomorrow morning. Will be Porter. Vehemently denies but stepping down in interests of country and party. Thats how these things go. Or if Scotty is standing beside him it means they are digging in.
Cue Dutton “he said, she said. Where’s the she?”

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:06 PM   #3187
Wildy
Adelaidean

I haven't watched the press conference yet, but it looks like it was indeed Porter. Of course he won't resign, I mean he hasn't for all the other terrible things that he's done as attorney-general.

The Betoota Advocate has more.
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:12 PM   #3188
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Well he wouldn’t want to set a precedent.

For anyone who might think their accusations have any weight against a powerful and connected man.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 2nd March 2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:34 PM   #3189
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I haven't watched the press conference yet, but it looks like it was indeed Porter. Of course he won't resign, I mean he hasn't for all the other terrible things that he's done as attorney-general.

The Betoota Advocate has more.
Oh boo hoo. One of the coalition’s major head kickers and bullies playing the victim? Precious.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:03 AM   #3190
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Look around Reddit and Twitter. Debating comps seem to be a Porter link. It’s only a matter of time before he makes a statement.
Thank you. I was wrong. It was not Angus Taylor and I have to apologise on the forum for suggesting that.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:21 AM   #3191
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Amy Remeikis on The Drum: “Why is the denial louder than someone saying, ‘This happened to me?’ The Parliament hasn’t worked out how to deal with that and if they can’t how can they expect anyone else to move forward on it?”
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:35 AM   #3192
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

On same program just saw Grace Tame’s response to a journalist asking her for a response to comments by PM. “It shouldn’t take having children to have a conscience. [a pause of indescribable power] And actually on top of that, having children doesn’t guarantee a conscience.”

Now, I caught the quote in print but to hear it is wow.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Then go watch the whole thing. It’s easy to find. Australian of the year. Absolutely. The faces of the women in the audience listening hits me hard as a man. The look of knowing on so many of them is an indictment on us.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 3rd March 2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:14 AM   #3193
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh boo hoo. One of the coalition’s major head kickers and bullies playing the victim? Precious.
Ordinarily I might be a little sympathetic for Christian Porter since there is no way that he can disprove the allegation against him

However, Christian Porter was the MP who joined Clive Palmer in his lawsuit against WA over border closures so hard cheese.
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:27 AM   #3194
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Porter’s opening today is interesting. He addresses the family and says, “You did not deserve the frenzied politicisation of your daughter’s death.” Now I could be completely wrong but that is far removed from what my perception would be if I were a member of her family. I would believe her, making this seem an incongruous framing. On the other hand it’s a classic move in politics to dismiss any accusation of wrongdoing as being politically motivated. The statement looks utterly self serving and makes a lie of his empathetic staging.

Also note how he frames the media and social media commenters as the accusers and not the woman who made the allegations before she died. These are much easier targets to cast as villains. To attack her and her claims directly is much harder for him and the public to accept. A perfect segue from the opening. This was as staged as you would expect from a politician.

“Nothing more than an accusation.” That is one hell of a loaded framing too.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 3rd March 2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:45 AM   #3195
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Ordinarily I might be a little sympathetic for Christian Porter since there is no way that he can disprove the allegation against him

However, Christian Porter was the MP who joined Clive Palmer in his lawsuit against WA over border closures so hard cheese.
Petty
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:30 AM   #3196
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Petty
Not if he (and the whole Morrison government) were willing to join forces with the biggest **** hole in the country to bring down the borders. He threatened the safety of not only WA but the whole country since it would have stopped the other states from putting up borders when they thought it was necessary too.
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:01 PM   #3197
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Wow, Australia has recovered 85% of the losses due to Covid. Yes, I know that a proportion of that was due to enormous deficit spending, but this is still an outstanding result.

It’s not often I praise the Morrison government, but they did the right thing going hard and early with support packages. There might still be a dip when Jobkeeper finishes, but things look well on track.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:57 PM   #3198
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Good timing with rains and good agriculture results, plus minerals prices improving?
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:08 PM   #3199
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Good timing with rains and good agriculture results, plus minerals prices improving?
That helped for sure, but I think it was mainly deficit spending, which the Coalition has been bagging for decades.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:43 PM   #3200
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That helped for sure, but I think it was mainly deficit spending, which the Coalition has been bagging for decades.
They need to keep spending until inflation starts to rise. Hopefully this will create many new jobs. And if they spend some of this money on infrastructure so much the better. It would give the economy an even bigger boost.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics