IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , George Conway , PACs , republican party , Rick Wilson , steve schmidt , The Lincoln Project

Old 4th August 2020, 11:46 AM   #161
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How about you comment on the solutions provided?
I have a solution: Normal Saline! Which they'll be dripping into your elderly relatives' veins while they are dying alone on a ventilator.
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The US currently ranks 10th in the world in deaths per million. Who, in your opinion, is to blame for that?
Obama, obviously. Trump has said as much. He didn't even provide a test for a virus that didn't exist!
Old 4th August 2020, 11:56 AM   #162
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
There are words here, but no sense to them whatsoever.
I couldn't make him out over the noise of the goalpost being moved.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 12:00 PM   #163
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Absolutely. Conservatism is fear based: fear of change, fear of different, fear of others. That's a huge part of Trump's appeal to his base and why his message is so anti-immigrant, anti-China, anti-Democrat, etc. It's all these 'others' are out to get you.
Indeed. I often think how ****** it would be to live life like that. Hating every "other", ranting and raving about poor people being lazy and taking "your" money, convinced mask wearing is some government ploy to control you. But it obviously works for a lot of people, some of my relatives included...
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 12:15 PM   #164
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

You should be dead-set in getting rid of Trump, too. It's people like you he harms.
It's pretty baffling. I pointed this out to Chris some time ago, but it bears repeating here.

That rally in Tulsa, for example, people died afterwards. His people, not pinko homo-loving soy boy libtards. Who gets killed by drinking bleach, or by listening to Trump when he tells them not to wear masks or socially distance? Remember, those who abhor him won't listen to him. So who does? Trump supporters.

It just baffles me that the US has gotten so polarized, and trumpkins are so, that they stand by their leader even when he literally gets them killed.

The whole 'kill someone on 5th Avenue' thing turned out to be entirely true. I didn't realise he could even kill his own and get away with it, with his victims standing loyally beside him.

It wouldn't kill Trump supporters to say 'I love Trump and/or what he's doing, but...' and stand up to him and demanded he take action against the pandemic. In fact it would have saved lives.

Contradicting or criticizing Dear Leader is just too big a sacrifice, I suppose .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 12:38 PM   #165
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's pretty baffling. I pointed this out to Chris some time ago, but it bears repeating here.

That rally in Tulsa, for example, people died afterwards. His people, not pinko homo-loving soy boy libtards. Who gets killed by drinking bleach, or by listening to Trump when he tells them not to wear masks or socially distance? Remember, those who abhor him won't listen to him. So who does? Trump supporters.

It just baffles me that the US has gotten so polarized, and trumpkins are so, that they stand by their leader even when he literally gets them killed.

The whole 'kill someone on 5th Avenue' thing turned out to be entirely true. I didn't realise he could even kill his own and get away with it, with his victims standing loyally beside him.

It wouldn't kill Trump supporters to say 'I love Trump and/or what he's doing, but...' and stand up to him and demanded he take action against the pandemic. In fact it would have saved lives.

Contradicting or criticizing Dear Leader is just too big a sacrifice, I suppose .
I've been travelling a lot out West this summer. Mostly in rural areas and it stuns me watching these people. The smaller the town, the less dense the population,the greater the support for Trump and Republicans. I see Trump signs and Trump flags almost every where I go.

Everyone acts as if they not only can't catch the virus, but that the virus isn't real. Lots of these loggers and farners almost snicker when you put on a mask. This little town of Castle Rock held a Farmers market over the weekend and not one of the vendors wore a mask.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:07 PM   #166
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Rocky's responses are as bad as Trump's. It's basically the whine, "why is everyone picking on me".
100%

I'm actually happy about his attempt to derail. It allows us to point out Trump's failures in detail. It's not just as Rocky has said "Orange man bad". No it's about the importance of a timely response to a crisis.
Difficult to do when you are utterly incapable of even recognizing it is a crisis

It's about listening to more knowledgeable and smarter people.
Difficult to do when you think you are smarter than everyone else, you think you know everything about everything, and you think you know more than anyone else does.

It's about empathy for others.
Difficult to do when you are a malignant narcissist.

It's about setting a positive example.
There aren't enough laughing dog memes to cover that one
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 12:35 AM   #167
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post

I've said something similar before - when people in and around the current administration say that some people will have to die to protect the economy, they're talking about people like rocky. They don't love you back. They don't care if you and your family die, just so long as they can make a profit off it.

And yet these self-same people love Trump unconditionally still.
Old 5th August 2020, 09:06 PM   #168
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

In the Axios interview, Trump claims the COVID rate in Oklahoma only went up after he was gone. No one got infected at or because of the rally.

In his mind and in the mind of the fantasy believers that are in his cult, that's pure truthyness.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 10:26 PM   #169
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Another one:
https://www.salon.com/2020/08/05/pam...ct-ad_partner/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2020, 01:11 PM   #170
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

TLP's latest effort

WARNING: LANGUAGE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2020, 02:44 PM   #171
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
In the Axios interview, Trump claims the COVID rate in Oklahoma only went up after he was gone. No one got infected at or because of the rally.

In his mind and in the mind of the fantasy believers that are in his cult, that's pure truthyness.
He doesn't seem to get there is an incubation period. The man is a dolt.
Old 15th August 2020, 03:13 PM   #172
Steve
Philosopher

He doesn't seem to get there is an incubation period. The man is a dolt.
Incubation is a four syllable word. No way that would register in his brain.
Old 15th August 2020, 04:33 PM   #173
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I'm not suspicious of them because they aren't ideologically pure or anything. It wouldn't bother me if they stuck to the "true conservatives against Trump" shtick. My issues are their influence-peddling and how they seem to refuse to acknowledge that Trump is their monster. They are being given way more screen time and money than I think they actually deliver on. They aren't just Republican in ideals or ideology. they are Republican in sleezy tactics.
If it helps at all...

They might know very well that Dolt 45 is a symptom, and not the disease itself, and it's possible that this is just the start.

Now, Dolt 45 is particularly easy, because he sees a Lincoln Project ad on tv in the White House, and no ads for him, and he freaks out and demands ads on tv.

in the DC market. Where he has a 0% chance of winning. So it's a complete waste of money.

so that's helpful. But in at least one ad, they've also gone after everyone who stands with him. I've heard a couple of times that this might continue after Cheeto Benito's out of office.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2020, 04:47 PM   #174
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
TLP's latest effort

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Impressive.
Old 16th August 2020, 12:07 AM   #175
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
If it helps at all...

They might know very well that Dolt 45 is a symptom, and not the disease itself, and it's possible that this is just the start.

Now, Dolt 45 is particularly easy, because he sees a Lincoln Project ad on tv in the White House, and no ads for him, and he freaks out and demands ads on tv.

in the DC market. Where he has a 0% chance of winning. So it's a complete waste of money.

so that's helpful. But in at least one ad, they've also gone after everyone who stands with him. I've heard a couple of times that this might continue after Cheeto Benito's out of office.
After Trump, McConnell is #1 on my list to get his arse kicked out.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 02:33 AM   #176
Belz...
Fiend God

TLP's latest effort

Yes, ISF members under 12 should ask their parents before watching!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 04:18 AM   #177
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I've heard a couple of times that this might continue after Cheeto Benito's out of office.
One of the main players was on a podcast I listen to a few weeks back, and he said that they're absolutely not stopping once Trump is out, but that they instead need to wipe Trumpism out of American polictics.
Old 16th August 2020, 10:07 AM   #178
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
One of the main players was on a podcast I listen to a few weeks back, and he said that they're absolutely not stopping once Trump is out, but that they instead need to wipe Trumpism out of American polictics.
You should be on board with that then.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 10:09 AM   #179
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
You should be on board with that then.
As should you.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 10:11 AM   #180
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
As should you.
Who said I wasn't. YOU guys paint me a trumpkin, I never validated the theory. Reemember, BOTH sides suck. We need a revolution.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 10:25 AM   #181
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Who said I wasn't. YOU guys paint me a trumpkin, I never validated the theory. Reemember, BOTH sides suck. We need a revolution.
Nonsense. I don't buy it. No one is painting you as a Trumpkin, you are doing that all by yourself. And while I agree the nation requires systemic changes, they aren't the changes you seem to be looking for. Or the changes the Trumpturd seems to favor.
Old 16th August 2020, 10:28 AM   #182
rockysmith76
Banned

Nonsense. I don't buy it. No one is painting you as a Trumpkin, you are doing that all by yourself. And while I agree the nation requires systemic changes, they aren't the changes you seem to be looking for. Or the changes the Trumpturd seems to favor.
Who cares what you buy, the system needs an overhaul and yes, trumpy needs to go, but, when so many are simply blinded by "orange man bad", which makes for tunnel vision, they need to get out of the way. You lead, follow or get out of the way, and the whiners who only do OMB, need to get out of the way if they have no alternative plan, which, they dont.
Old 16th August 2020, 10:45 AM   #183
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It is a terrible mistake to imagine that both sides suck equally. Democrats and progressives generally support competent governance, responsible regulation, cooperation with allies, equal rights, and protections for the most vulnerable. Few support programs and policies outside what might have been promoted by RFK or Hubert Humphrey. The radical repubs are opposed to the idea of government, except to the degree that government can be used to benefit themselves and their favorites: tax cuts and benefits for the wealthiest, cuts in education and social services, cuts in environmental, industrial, financial and workplace regulation; open white racism; incompetent political cronies in the highest official positions, etc., etc., and they intend to win elections by blocking their opponents from voting against them.

It's just senseless to see the two sides as in any way comparable.

Last edited by Bob001; 16th August 2020 at 10:47 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 10:50 AM   #184
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It is a terrible mistake to imagine that both sides suck equally. Democrats and progressives generally support competent governance, responsible regulation, cooperation with allies, equal rights, and protections for the most vulnerable. Few support programs and policies outside what might have been promoted by RFK or Hubert Humphrey. The radical repubs are opposed to the idea of government, except to the degree that government can be used to benefit themselves and their favorites: tax cuts and benefits for the wealthiest, cuts in education and social services, cuts in environmental, industrial, financial and workplace regulation; open white racism; incompetent political cronies in the highest official positions, etc., etc., and they intend to win elections by blocking their opponents from voting against them.

It's just senseless to see the two sides as in any way comparable.
No it isnt, BOTH sides of the two party system are too entrenched, it needs to be diversified to about ten or more. Then they have to place nice and get along. Trump is a poopstain anomalie, but the system itself is flawed.
Old 16th August 2020, 11:08 AM   #185
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Who cares what you buy, the system needs an overhaul and yes, trumpy needs to go, but, when so many are simply blinded by "orange man bad", which makes for tunnel vision, they need to get out of the way. You lead, follow or get out of the way, and the whiners who only do OMB, need to get out of the way if they have no alternative plan, which, they dont.
I don't think anyone else buys it either. And you proved it with the post defending the turd.

And yes they do have a plan.

And what makes you think the moron has a plan outside of remaining President and making himself Emperor? It's not just that the Orange man is bad, hes bad in so many ways.

To begin with, Orange man is "stupid"...and those aren't just the words of liberals, but a train of right wing conservatives including many members of his own administration. Such as Rex Tillerson who said "Trump's a ******* idiot" COS John Kelly, COS Reince Priebus, Sam Nunberg, Steve Mnuchin and Gary Cohn have all called him an idiot. Cohn said Trump was "dumb as ****".

He's corrupt. Everything is personally motivated. He blatantly uses the government not only to enrich himself, his family, his friends and benefactors, he uses it to punish those that are politically opposed to him.

He's beyond incompetent, he's lazy.

"Morally unfit to be president,” “unethical” and “untethered to truth” James Comey. "

You want desperately to turn all of this into some simplistic theme that we just don't like Trump. But even you know this is a lie.

Last edited by acbytesla; 16th August 2020 at 11:11 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 11:17 AM   #186
Belz...
Fiend God

My neighbor is an ass. Hitler was an ass. Why is everyone still talking about Hitler but no one calls out my neighbor???

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 11:18 AM   #187
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No it isnt, BOTH sides of the two party system are too entrenched, it needs to be diversified to about ten or more. Then they have to play nice and get along. Trump is a poopstain anomalie, but the system itself is flawed.
I don't think it works that way, EVER. Regardless, (tempted to say "irregardless") of the number of political parties.
Old 16th August 2020, 11:19 AM   #188
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

My neighbor is an ass. Hitler was an ass. Why is everyone still talking about Hitler but no one calls out my neighbor???
Old 16th August 2020, 11:19 AM   #189
rockysmith76
Banned

I don't think anyone else buys it either. And you proved it with the post defending the turd.

And yes they do have a plan.

And what makes you think the moron has a plan outside of remaining President and making himself Emperor? It's not just that the Orange man is bad, hes bad in so many ways.

To begin with, Orange man is "stupid"...and those aren't just the words of liberals, but a train of right wing conservatives including many members of his own administration. Such as Rex Tillerson who said "Trump's a ******* idiot" COS John Kelly, COS Reince Priebus, Sam Nunberg, Steve Mnuchin and Gary Cohn have all called him an idiot. Cohn said Trump was "dumb as ****".

He's corrupt. Everything is personally motivated. He blatantly uses the government not only to enrich himself, his family, his friends and benefactors, he uses it to punish those that are politically opposed to him.

He's beyond incompetent, he's lazy.

"Morally unfit to be president,” “unethical” and “untethered to truth” James Comey. "

You want desperately to turn all of this into some simplistic theme that we just don't like Trump. But even you know this is a lie.
The lie is yours. I hope Biden wins, but youre already falling into the Hillary complacency position again. Sad and frankly pathetic. I hope you and yours dont screw the country for another four years.
Old 16th August 2020, 11:22 AM   #190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The lie is yours. I hope Biden wins, but youre already falling into the Hillary complacency position again. Sad and frankly pathetic. I hope you and yours dont screw the country for another four years.
I hope they don't either. Trump set a low bar. And who the hell is complacent?

And what lie? I've watched you defend Trump for quite a while.

Last edited by acbytesla; 16th August 2020 at 11:23 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 11:38 AM   #191
rockysmith76
Banned

I hope they don't either. Trump set a low bar. And who the hell is complacent?

And what lie? I've watched you defend Trump for quite a while.
Then you are unable to see whats directly in front of you. Your problem, not mine.
Old 16th August 2020, 11:47 AM   #192
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

No it isnt, BOTH sides of the two party system are too entrenched, it needs to be diversified to about ten or more. Then they have to place nice and get along. Trump is a poopstain anomalie, but the system itself is flawed.
And then you wind up with Italy or someplace with a dozen single-issue parties and an unstable, ineffectual government. The basic premise of the two-party system is that in order to win, each side has to offer programs and policies that will appeal to a majority of voters,who see themselves as somewhere in the middle. That is a force for moderation and fair majority rule. It's only in fairly recent years that the Repubs have adopted extremist policies, pandered to the deplorables, and then sought to block their opponents from voting against them.

Automatic voter registration, universal vote-by-mail and vigorous protection of voter rights would go a long way toward solving the problems of the two-party system. Another step would be campaign finance reform, and another would be revision of the Senate rules so one guy couldn't block nominees and legislation from even being considered by the body.

Last edited by Bob001; 16th August 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 16th August 2020, 12:49 PM   #193
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And then you wind up with Italy or someplace with a dozen single-issue parties and an unstable, ineffectual government. The basic premise of the two-party system is that in order to win, each side has to offer programs and policies that will appeal to a majority of voters,who see themselves as somewhere in the middle. That is a force for moderation and fair majority rule. It's only in fairly recent years that the Repubs have adopted extremist policies, pandered to the deplorables, and then sought to block their opponents from voting against them.

Automatic voter registration, universal vote-by-mail and vigorous protection of voter rights would go a long way toward solving the problems of the two-party system. Another step would be campaign finance reform, and another would be revision of the Senate rules so one guy couldn't block nominees and legislation from even being considered by the body.
Those are great suggestions. Personally, I'd like to eliminate the Senate entirely. But I know that's a pipe dream.
Old 16th August 2020, 03:33 PM   #194
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Those are great suggestions. Personally, I'd like to eliminate the Senate entirely. But I know that's a pipe dream.
Why? The Repubs controlled the House from 2010 to 2018, strongly influenced if not controlled by the Tea Party. You think it would have been good for them to be the only legislative authority?
Old 16th August 2020, 04:02 PM   #195
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Why? The Repubs controlled the House from 2010 to 2018, strongly influenced if not controlled by the Tea Party. You think it would have been good for them to be the only legislative authority?
If the issues of gerrymandering is eliminated which it hasn't been I see the Senate as a superfluous body. There is little reason for a bicameral legislature. The Senate is a monster obstacle to legislation and because of the "great compromise" it dumps power into rural states. Wyoming with barely 600,000 citizens has equal power as California with its 40 million.
Old 16th August 2020, 06:11 PM   #196
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The USA need something like we have, an Electoral Commission.

Our Electoral Commission is a Crown entity that is entirely independent of the NZ Government. Its role is to administer the electoral system impartially, efficiently, effectively, and in a way that facilitates participation in parliamentary democracy, promotes understanding of the electoral system and maintains confidence in the administration of the electoral system. Minister responsible for the Commission is not permitted to direct it to give effect to, or have regard to, government policy. Additionally, nether the government, nor the Prime Minister or anyone else can fire or appoint the Commissioner or their staff. Its has a statutory duty to act independently in performing its statutory duties and functions and exercising its powers.

Our Electoral Commission has eliminated gerrymandering entirely, because only the commission itself gets to see the voter distribution within the electorates, to there is no opportunity for candidates or parties to fiddle with the boundaries.
Old 16th August 2020, 09:08 PM   #197
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The USA need something like we have, an Electoral Commission.
In the U.S., elections are conducted at the state, county and municipal levels under state and local laws. There is no national election authority of any kind, and it's hard to even imagine how one could be created. A lot of people and governments would have to give up a lot of their authority, and entrust it to another political entity.
Old 16th August 2020, 10:26 PM   #198
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Post Office plans to eliminate hundreds of automatic mail-sorting machines.
The United States Postal Service proposed removing 20 percent of letter sorting machines it uses around the country before revising the plan weeks later to closer to 15 percent of all machines, meaning 502 will be taken out of service, according to documents obtained by Motherboard outlining the agency’s plans. USPS workers told Motherboard this will slow their ability to sort mail.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...e-mail-sorting
Old 16th August 2020, 10:51 PM   #199
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Post Office plans to eliminate hundreds of automatic mail-sorting machines.
The United States Postal Service proposed removing 20 percent of letter sorting machines it uses around the country before revising the plan weeks later to closer to 15 percent of all machines, meaning 502 will be taken out of service, according to documents obtained by Motherboard outlining the agency’s plans. USPS workers told Motherboard this will slow their ability to sort mail.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...e-mail-sorting
C of Staff Mark Meadow told Jake Tapper today they would not be removing any MORE sorting machines until after the election. But it may be too late already:

The potential effectiveness of an order issued Sunday to stop the removal of United States Postal Service sorting machines is now in question.

Internal USPS planning documents obtained by CNN indicate nearly 95% of the mail sorting machines that had been set for removal during the last few months were already scheduled to be taken out of service by now.
White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" that the USPS would not remove any more mail sorting machines until after the election.

Documents from June, obtained by CNN, show the USPS planned to remove 502 DBCS (Delivery Barcode Sorter) machines, or 13.2% of its total inventory by September 30. These machines make up the bulk of the USPS mail sort operation. They sort envelope mail, which would include ballots en route to voters. However, nearly 95%, or 475, of those were scheduled to be removed by the end of July according to documents.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/polit...der/index.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 11:11 PM   #200
Lurch
Graduate Poster

In the U.S., elections are conducted at the state, county and municipal levels under state and local laws. There is no national election authority of any kind, and it's hard to even imagine how one could be created. A lot of people and governments would have to give up a lot of their authority, and entrust it to another political entity.
But such an arm's length commission is NOT a political entity. But of course, in the US *everything* is open to and ripe for politicizing. We see how even the military (most decidedly nominally apolitical) has been brushing dangerously close to this kind of rat-**** odiousness.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics