IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , George Conway , PACs , republican party , Rick Wilson , steve schmidt , The Lincoln Project

Old 17th August 2020, 04:20 AM   #201
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Curious what the Lincoln Projects ghouls will have to say about this attack on the USPS, given that privatizing the mail is a long term project of the Republican party that predates Trumpism.
Old 17th August 2020, 05:59 AM   #202
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Curious what the Lincoln Projects ghouls will have to say about this attack on the USPS, given that privatizing the mail is a long term project of the Republican party that predates Trumpism.

One would hope that they'd have a come-to-Jesus moment, and realize that this sort of crap is exactly why getting rid of the post office is a bad idea.

One would fear that, instead, they'd have a come-to-Republican-Jesus moment.
Old 17th August 2020, 11:08 AM   #203
Venom
Illuminator

The Lincoln Reagan Project
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:21 AM   #204
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

I'll ask the question here: is it legal for us furriners (a word I learned from Foolmewunz :sad emoji: ) to donate to the Lincoln Project (or other pro Biden PACS)?

ETA: apparently not, sorry.

Last edited by Firestone; 18th August 2020 at 06:25 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:27 AM   #205
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
One would hope that they'd have a come-to-Jesus moment, and realize that this sort of crap is exactly why getting rid of the post office is a bad idea.

If there is no government post office, the government would not be able to interfere with it before an election. The ability to not use it for political purposes is one of the cases for privatizing things.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:31 AM   #206
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If there is no government post office, the government would not be able to interfere with it before an election. The ability to not use it for political purposes is one of the cases for privatizing things.
Yeah great, then democracy relies on corporations owned by billionaires. No thank you.
Old 18th August 2020, 06:34 AM   #207
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yeah great, then democracy relies [more] on corporations owned by billionaires. No thank you.
ftfy
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:34 AM   #208
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

I don't know what that would look like though.

Trump is the consequence of decades of conservative dog whistling. There's nothing new about it, it's just bit bolder and purer than previous versions.

I don't know what a conservative "restoration" would look like, nor do I think the Lincoln Project know. I suppose it isn't necessary, as their organization is dedicated to the single issue of attacking Trump.

There's definitely no reason to treat any of these people as heroes given the vast uncertainties of what they imagine the "new" conservatism would look like post Trump. My expectations are low.
Old 18th August 2020, 06:44 AM   #209
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is the consequence of decades of conservative dog whistling. There's nothing new about it, it's just bit bolder and purer than previous versions.

I don't know what a conservative "restoration" would look like, nor do I think the Lincoln Project know. I suppose it isn't necessary, as their organization is dedicated to the single issue of attacking Trump.

There's definitely no reason to treat any of these people as heroes given the vast uncertainties of what they imagine the "new" conservatism would look like post Trump. My expectations are low.
Maybe it's sweeping all of that racism, corruption, voter suppression and so on stuff back under the carpet where it belongs (and can continue quietly) rather than it being dragged into the light by President Trump and his acolytes' outbursts
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:00 AM   #210
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I imagine it would look a lot like Bob's post above. "Privatization hasn't worked, we must try it even harder!"
Old 18th August 2020, 11:44 AM   #211
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yeah great, then democracy relies on corporations owned by billionaires. No thank you.
Well, my response was regarding how the Lincoln project could square the conservative circle. As a non conservative, you have no circle to square.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 02:14 PM   #212
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see how privatizing would keep it from interfering with an election. Conservatives would just have to make sure that its corporate culture was heavily weighted in favor of contemporary conservative values.

Old-fashioned conservative values I could probably live with, but not the radical right agenda currently on offer.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 02:33 PM   #213
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't see how privatizing would keep it from interfering with an election. Conservatives would just have to make sure that its corporate culture was heavily weighted in favor of contemporary conservative values.

Old-fashioned conservative values I could probably live with, but not the radical right agenda currently on offer.

I think the Lincoln project is radical, right?
Old 18th August 2020, 02:34 PM   #214
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

According to Trump they're probably radical lefties.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 02:38 PM   #215
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Who cares what you buy,
I don't buy it either.

the system needs an overhaul and yes, trumpy needs to go,
Agreed.

but, when so many are simply blinded by "orange man bad",
Really? The "Orange man is destroying America, and you think it is "bad" to point that out?

which makes for tunnel vision, they need to get out of the way. You lead, follow or get out of the way, and the whiners who only do OMB, need to get out of the way if they have no alternative plan, which, they dont.
And that is why you are stuck with Trump no matter what you claim. When you say "get out of the way", you mean Trump's re-election and that's all you mean. The rest of us are horrified that a onetime ally has become a tinpot dictatorship. Honestly, I am unsure how many decades it will take for the US to recover from the damage.

There are only two remaining superpowers remaining in the world today. The US is NOT one of those.

Can't say I like that much, but that is what you chose to do to yourselves and there is nothing I can do about it.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 04:36 PM   #216
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know. The definitions aren't really up to the task. I just know "conservatives" are not what they used to be.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 04:42 PM   #217
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
There are only two remaining superpowers remaining in the world today. The US is NOT one of those.
What are they? Russia is not the Soviet Union. And China ... is not really what it could have been, IMO.
Old 18th August 2020, 04:50 PM   #218
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Radicals take over the GOP and now it looks like the Lincoln Project Republicans who are still actual Republicans are somehow extremist [anything] ?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 05:11 PM   #219
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The Lincoln Project are establishment Republicans who fear what Trump may be doing to the party. Specifically they fear that the reaction against Trump might undermine its future.
These are folks who had no problem with the Southern Strategy, tax cuts for the rich, undermining equality, gerrymandering, corporate greed, the Iraq War, or anything else that party has been doing for the past 50 years. They only have a problem with Trump, and when he's gone they'll go right back to all the other stuff.
They are the enemy of my enemy. But they are not my friends.
Old 18th August 2020, 05:26 PM   #220
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

To deliberately present an extreme analogy: The USSR at the time of WW 2 was hardly a “good guy.” Yet to have rejected them as an ally in the fight against the axis would have been deeply foolhardy.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 05:55 PM   #221
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
To deliberately present an extreme analogy: The USSR at the time of WW 2 was hardly a “good guy.” Yet to have rejected them as an ally in the fight against the axis would have been deeply foolhardy.
The Soviets were committed, gotta give 'em that. Maybe all that was just personal, Hitler vs. Stalin. I am a long, long way from being an expert.

I don't really see a segue into something on topic, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 18th August 2020, 06:06 PM   #222
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Radicals take over the GOP and now it looks like the Lincoln Project Republicans who are still actual Republicans are somehow extremist [anything] ?
This may have just been a play on words by BTC. I couldn't tell. But IMO, no, the Lincoln Project folks are not radical. They are trying to hold onto a definition of "conservative" that doesn't fit the agenda of many other self-defined current-day "conservatives." I've had a problem with the usage of "conservative" for at least the past 12 years. And that dates back to GWB - he seems sane now in comparison, but he let people manipulate him into invading Iraq. Not conservative in my book, at all. Though I hate to give Trump credit, he hasn't succeeded in dragging the U.S. into another Afghanistan/Iraq ***************. At least, not yet.
Old 18th August 2020, 06:11 PM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The Lincoln Project are establishment Republicans who fear what Trump may be doing to the party. Specifically they fear that the reaction against Trump might undermine its future.
These are folks who had no problem with the Southern Strategy, tax cuts for the rich, undermining equality, gerrymandering, corporate greed, the Iraq War, or anything else that party has been doing for the past 50 years. They only have a problem with Trump, and when he's gone they'll go right back to all the other stuff.
They are the enemy of my enemy. But they are not my friends.
They don't have to be my friend to be appreciated for making multiple ads against Trump, and are especially trying to get his goat.
Old 24th August 2020, 04:39 AM   #224
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Quote:
White House counselor Kellyanne Conway announced Sunday evening she will leave her post at the end of the month and George Conway said he was withdrawing from the Lincoln Project, both citing a need to focus on their family.
https://fox2now.com/news/kellyanne-c...aking+News+RSS
Old 24th August 2020, 06:27 AM   #225
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Seems that they are giving priority to family. Can’t fault them for that. A lot of Trumpistas would not do that.
Old 24th August 2020, 06:42 AM   #226
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Seems that they are giving priority to family. Can’t fault them for that. A lot of Trumpistas would not do that.
Yep, I wish their family the best of luck in pulling stuff back together. It won't be easy from the outward signs, but one can hope.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 07:18 AM   #227
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Claudia Conway enters the Posting Hall of Fame, getting both of her ghoul parents to quit their high power jobs through the power of Twitter posting.

o7 salute a real one
Old 24th August 2020, 08:57 AM   #228
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is all a show.
Old 24th August 2020, 09:17 AM   #229
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I think this is all a show.
I am open to that possibility. I just don't see how bailing on Trump right before she was scheduled to speak at the convention can be made to work to his advantage. Maybe she just realized that there is nothing she cold say that would make Trump, or herself, look good.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:05 AM   #230
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I am open to that possibility. I just don't see how bailing on Trump right before she was scheduled to speak at the convention can be made to work to his advantage. Maybe she just realized that there is nothing she cold say that would make Trump, or herself, look good.
Reports are she's still going to speak. I think your teenage daughter making a public statement about her parent's discord makes this more than likely one time "spending more time with the family" is probably true.

I imagine the lockdown had something to do with this as well. Before that, George and Kellyanne probably didn't spend that much time together. And the daughter was probably also in the same house. What a nightmare.

And it's a smart move given Trump's reelection prospects aren't good.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th August 2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:15 AM   #231
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife looked at Claudia's twitter. She's very upset that her mother is still scheduled to speak at the convention.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:37 AM   #232
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

As I said upthread, I don't think that anything that any of them says publicly can be trusted. With Bush they were doing the same thing - both getting paid for publicly disagree with each other's politics.

It's possible that it's all true, but I don't think we should unquestioningly take the word of liars and liars' daughters. Especially not when it's been reported many times that absolutely nobody in Trump's orbit is actually on his side, but is instead just using him for what they can get.

It seems to me that a credible scenario is that they're sure that Trump is going down (Kellyanne is reputed to be the source of the story that Trump has privately been telling people that he's going to resign in November) and figure that this is the best way to get some publicity and some distance before re-emerging again with some new grift, or some new version of this one.

I do find Claudia's position to be more credible than either of her parents', and it is possible that she really is trying to get herself emancipated which has led to them reconsidering their grift, but I see no reason to assume it's true just because she says it is.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:07 AM   #233
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Say what you will, George Conway is good at Twitter:

"Very soon, he will go away. He will disappear, like a miracle. We are doing a tremendous job."

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/statu...24158958350336
Old 18th September 2020, 05:14 AM   #234
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
"Very soon, he will go away. He will disappear, like a miracle. We are doing a tremendous job."
Hopefully he will lose strongly and bigly. I need encouragment like this in my life.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 10:05 AM   #235
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
This may have just been a play on words by BTC. I couldn't tell. But IMO, no, the Lincoln Project folks are not radical. They are trying to hold onto a definition of "conservative" that doesn't fit the agenda of many other self-defined current-day "conservatives." I've had a problem with the usage of "conservative" for at least the past 12 years. And that dates back to GWB - he seems sane now in comparison, but he let people manipulate him into invading Iraq. Not conservative in my book, at all. Though I hate to give Trump credit, he hasn't succeeded in dragging the U.S. into another Afghanistan/Iraq ***************. At least, not yet.
We're lucky he hasn't had the opportunity. You can be sure that if there's another terrible terrorist attack, he''ll be blowing up something.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 07:56 AM   #236
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Lincoln Project next. Their whole raison d'etre is gone, and they failed miserably in their secondary goal of defeating as many Republicans in Congress as possible. Indeed it is quite arguable that they failed in their primary goal of peeling off as much Republican support from Trump as possible; some polling indicates Trump did better among GOP partisans in 2020 than in 2016.

Quote:
According to exit polls, 93% of Republicans went for Trump on Tuesday, compared with 90% in 2016
Any hope that they would be invited back to help the shattered GOP rebuild itself is gone. Yes, maybe Biden will pick one or two for sub-cabinet level positions, but as Joe himself boasted, he doesn't need a lot of help working across the aisle, and he's gotta tamp down his left flank (unless he's already accepted that he'll be a one-termer). They are talking about a media enterprise:

Quote:
Driving the news: The group is in talks with the United Talent Agency (UTA) to help build out Lincoln Media and is weighing offers from different television studios, podcast networks and book publishers.

Why it matters: Lincoln's plan is part of the new trend of activists developing massive audiences for political influence that they are then able to spin into commercial media success.
I don't see it happening for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Brainster; 5th November 2020 at 08:02 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 08:08 AM   #237
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Yeah, the vote made it clear that the GOP is not going back to the Lincoln Republicans.
They better start their own party.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 08:49 AM   #238
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Seems the whole idea of moderating the platform to appeal to disaffected conservatives was a foolish move. Trumpism is the Republican party now, Never-Trump conservatives are an insignificant minority.
Old 5th November 2020, 11:02 AM   #239
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Yeah, the vote made it clear that the GOP is not going back to the Lincoln Republicans.
They better start their own party.
And if Trump loses, and the party does revert to the establishment, Trump will certainly start HIS own party.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:34 PM   #240
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And if Trump loses, and the party does revert to the establishment, Trump will certainly start HIS own party.
That's not the way I see it.

Trump managed to mobilize numbers of voters an establishment GOP candidate can not even dream of.
I think that they will keep the door open for Trump to run in 2024 whilst looking whether Tucker Carlson or another racist Demagogue wants to run.

Not even Republican voters want Republican career politicians.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics