IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd August 2020, 01:27 AM   #1
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Who will Biden choose as running mate?

A lot of speculations, a lot of leaks with oppo research on the various candidates.

But who will it be?

My guess is that conventional wisdom (and betting markets) are right for once: Biden will pick Kamala Harris.

Time for a forum poll ...
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:31 AM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

Build
Back
Better
Biden
Bottoms

It's a ridiculous slogan. So he will choose her.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Build
Back
Better
Biden
Bottoms

It's a ridiculous slogan. So he will choose her.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Karen Bass has some interesting stuff in her past. She was an organizer and member of the Venceremos Brigade, a group of young radicals from the SDS who annually volunteered to travel to Cuba to help the sugar cane harvest in the workers' paradise. They apparently had hoped to sub in for industrial workers, but Castro put them out in the fields cutting cane. Bass reportedly went to Cuba every six months for five years.

Quote:
Bass was one of numerous young radicals for whom a Venceremos trip proved formative. Joel Schwartz, a participant in an early brigade and a veteran labor activist, said his six-week, ground-level glimpse of the Cuban communist experiment was “life-transforming,” and added that he would “never say anything bad about anyone who went.” Schwartz also recalled that Brigadistas received threatening letters from the State and Treasury Departments, although the government never followed up on them. The leftist historian, author, and indigenous rights activist Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz remembered heading to the island with “500 squabbling Americans” of all different leftist persuasions when she traveled there on an early brigade. “It’s proof of the transformation they went through down there that they were actually not fighting at the end.”
Isn't that heartwarming? Castro brought them all together. No wonder Bass praised Fidel on his death as El Commandante Jefe and said the Cubans had lost a great leader.

In the mid-1970s Bass was a rectificationist, an adherent of the belief that Stalin and Mao had it right and that the denunciations of them after their deaths by Khrushchev and Deng were revisionism from counter-revolutionaries.

She's also got a tiny Scientology problem:

Quote:
Video emerged on Friday of the California Democrat speaking at a ceremony for a renovated Scientology church in Los Angeles when she served as speaker of the California State Assembly. The Daily Caller first reported the video’s existence.

In her remarks, Bass called on treating humans with respect and fighting oppression, but also spoke highly of the controversial group and its founder, L. Ron Hubbard.
Her explanation leaves a bit to be desired:

Quote:
“Back in 2010, I attended the event knowing I was going to address a group of people with beliefs very different than my own, and spoke briefly about things I think most of us agree with, and on those things — respect for different views, equality, and fighting oppression — my views have not changed,” Bass tweeted. “Since then, published first-hand accounts in books, interviews and documentaries have exposed this group.”
Yeah, I mean, who knew 10 years ago that Scientology was a cult of kooky people? Just as a cultural marker, the Southpark episode Trapped in the Closet came out in 2005.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:50 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why is a Stalinist on Biden's short list? Who in his entourage has those ideas and that kind of influence? Previously I said I'd be okay with a Biden administration in counterpoint to a GOP legislature. But if he's got actual Stalin apologists nudging his policy positions, I'm going to have to nope out of that. Four more years of Trump is infinitely preferably to a Stalin-adjacent presidency.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I voted for the one I think is the best: Duckworth.

I don't know who Biden will choose.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:52 AM   #7
rockysmith76
Banned

Establishment Cog number three, hopefully a better speaker than Dementia Joe.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:06 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I am, of course, legally and morally required to vote for Planet X. But I think Planet X would make a great VP!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:10 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I am, of course, legally and morally required to vote for Planet X. But I think Planet X would make a great VP!
I dunno. Planet X could conceivably cause more death, destruction, and human misery than Joseph Stalin.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:56 PM   #10
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I'm disappointed that there is no Lee Kuan option.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:42 PM   #11
Firestone

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I voted for the one I think is the best: Duckworth.

I don't know who Biden will choose.
I like Duckworth too, and she would be awesome on the ticket.

Polls show that Biden is under performing Hillary Clinton with African Americans. That's why I think he'll pick Harris. Counterargument: Harris didn't do that well with African Americans in primary polls, so who knows.
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:45 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I like Duckworth too, and she would be awesome on the ticket.

Polls show that Biden is under performing Hillary Clinton with African Americans. That's why I think he'll pick Harris. Counterargument: Harris didn't do that well with African Americans in primary polls, so who knows.
I thought Harris was less popular with black voters than Biden.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:49 PM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why is a Stalinist on Biden's short list? Who in his entourage has those ideas and that kind of influence? Previously I said I'd be okay with a Biden administration in counterpoint to a GOP legislature. But if he's got actual Stalin apologists nudging his policy positions, I'm going to have to nope out of that. Four more years of Trump is infinitely preferably to a Stalin-adjacent presidency.
A "stalinist"?
Edited by Agatha:  Edited breach of rule 12

Last edited by Agatha; 3rd August 2020 at 12:16 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:02 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
A "stalinist"?
Edited by Agatha:  Edited breach of rule 12
She defended Stalin. That's objectively Stalinist. I can understand being a Communist but rejecting Stalin. A Trotskyist or a Marxist-Leninist, for example. That's bad enough. But this woman is a literal Stalinist and she's apparently on Biden's short list. Doesn't that bother you?

Last edited by Agatha; 3rd August 2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:10 PM   #15
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

She defended Stalin. That's objectively Stalinist. I can understand being a Communist but rejecting Stalin. A Trotskyist or a Marxist-Leninist, for example. That's bad enough. But this woman is a literal Stalinist and she's apparently on Biden's short list. Doesn't that bother you?
I see "no evidence" that she ever defended Stalin. Castro...yes, but she denounced her statement about Castro.
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:26 PM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

I dunno. Planet X could conceivably cause more death, destruction, and human misery than Joseph Stalin.
Yeah, could you find some evidence to support this? I tried to Google this claim and nothing came up.

Old 2nd August 2020, 04:26 PM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Biden more or less boxed himself in when he said he'd pick a woman. Now that the expectation has become that it will be a minority woman he's even more constrained. He doesn't exactly have binders full of women to choose from. There are 25 current Black congresswomen, and the ones that have a significant amount of experience are all pretty old--there are at least 3 older than Biden. Bass isn't a spring chicken either--she's 67.

As for how she got on the short list, the Tablet article gives a pretty good explanation. She (mostly) stopped talking about her support for Castro and the media stopped asking:

Quote:
Neither Bass’ long-term involvement with the Venceremos Brigade nor her being targeted by a possibly illegal police operation have made it into accounts of Bass’ career after the mid-1990s. A June New York Times article about Bass discussed the congresswoman’s leading role in police reform efforts on Capitol Hill, but did not mention that she was herself targeted in a legally questionable police spying ring. A 2016 LA Times article about Bass’ participation in President Barack Obama’s landmark trip to Cuba says that she frequently traveled to Cuba in the ’70s for volunteer work, but does not name the Venceremos Brigade.
Note that the article does not seem to be a hit piece; the focus of the piece is purportedly her journey from the far left to the mainstream.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:30 PM   #18
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, could you find some evidence to support this? I tried to Google this claim and nothing came up.
Here you go: Karen Bass' Stalinism.

Quote:
An undated, typewritten document uploaded to a Wiki page in July of 2016 that appears to have been written by an activist with the organization Line of March lists a “Karen Bass” as one of the “forces working directly under the guidance of the rect. line” in Los Angeles. In the context of the document, “rect.” is short for “rectificationist,” referring to communists who opposed the revisionist turn typified by Khrushchev’s condemnation of Stalin and Deng Xiaoping’s repudiation of Mao. In 1977, West Coast rectificationists formed Line of March, which consolidated the efforts of activists affiliated with the Union of Democratic Filipinos, the Northern California Alliance, and the Third World Women’s Alliance (an organization that grew out of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, or SNCC). When reached for comment about Bass’s possible involvement with Line of March, a spokesperson for Bass said that the future congresswoman had “attended events.”
People around here switching to the "What's wrong with defending Stalin?" line shortly.

Last edited by Brainster; 2nd August 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:33 PM   #19
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Karen Bass has some interesting stuff in her past.
Why is a Stalinist on Biden's short list?
George Will actually wrote positively about her. Maybe he didn't know about her past. Hopefully she is no longer a Stalinist.

But these things are likely enough to strike her off the list. I can't imagine her pro-Castro past will play well in Florida, a key swing state.

I believe it will be Harris.
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:48 PM   #20
angrysoba
Philosophile

People around here switching to the "What's wrong with defending Stalin?" line shortly.
Fair enough. It doesn't look great. There's nothing there to say she was an actual Stalinist, but if she was involved with people who were then it is something she should probably clarify.

Old 2nd August 2020, 05:02 PM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Biden more or less boxed himself in when he said he'd pick a woman....
Boxed himself in?

And in case you hadn't noticed, Duckworth is a minority candidate.

NYT: Tammy Duckworth Is Nothing and Everything Like Joe Biden
Quote:
a death-cheating, double-amputee Iraq war veteran whose life story — whose very appearance, whooshing by wheelchair through the Capitol — defines the decency and service that the president’s opponents have found lacking in this White House.
Who better to stand up to Cadet Bonespurs than Duckworth?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:16 PM   #22
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Judges call? Buzz ...wrong answer.

I use to go to a gay bar from time to time. That doesn't make me gay. Nor does attending American legion and VFW events make me a veteran. And my perspective on thw world is radically different than it was in the 70s.

And not everything Stalin did was bad...just like not everything Trump has done is bad. They're both close however.
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:12 PM   #23
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I picked Kamala Harris, although I don't think that's his best strategy.
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:17 PM   #24
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I picked Michelle Grisham. I think the virus response is his best issue, practically the only issue if the election were held today, and picking a governor who did things right is a nice contrast to a president who didn't.

I would like to see Gretchen Whitmer, but I think she has been just a bit too controversial and has some negatives.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:03 PM   #25
Venom
Illuminator

That's sorta shocking from Biden's team of all people. Usually something of that nature you would find among Trumpist Republicans.

Oh well it's not like she could actually get anything done with all the checks and balances in the federal government.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:01 PM   #26
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Just going by the peek at Biden's notes, Harris seems to have this in a walk.

FTR, I don't think the VP pick really gives a boost to any candidate. I certainly didn't vote for Obama because I loved Joe Biden. I think a bad pick can signal weakness, but only after the VP nominee says something stupid. Palin really dragged McCain down (not that he ever had a chance anyway). Quayle spoke very little as a nominee but became increasingly dumber as VP. I think he was at least partially responsible for Bush losing after one term.

Trump made a good choice with Pence. He used his connections to help shore up Evangelicals but otherwise has stayed completely out of the way. I don't see anyone on the list sinking Biden. Harris' past in law enforcement hurt her in the primary but will likely help Biden among so-called independents and disgruntled Republicans.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:07 PM   #27
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

It will be Harris who then becomes the candidate when Biden drops out due to health issues. She'll then pick John Kasich as her VP.

You read it here first.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:32 PM   #28
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
It will be Harris who then becomes the candidate when Biden drops out due to health issues. She'll then pick John Kasich as her VP.

You read it here first.
Biden might pick Harris, but Kasich doesn't become VP. You heard it here.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:58 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Just going by the peek at Biden's notes, Harris seems to have this in a walk.....
Something about that leaked peek was fishy.

Unless it was a feeler, see how people react to the Harris pick, I'm not impressed by the news media glomming on to it.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:00 PM   #30
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Biden campaign says he is so close to a VP pick he can smell her
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:02 PM   #31
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
LOL! Not even clicking on that.

ETA: Though if it is Bottoms, the jokes write themselves.

Last edited by angrysoba; 2nd August 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:30 PM   #32
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Establishment Cog number three, hopefully a better speaker than Dementia Joe.
Who?

It was Donald Trump who "aced" the dementia test. So now it's official: he is genuinely demented.

</derail>
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:37 PM   #33
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Worth pointing out that any potential candidates for VP that don't get chosen don't necessarily disappear into the mists either. There are plenty of non-veep cabinet positions where they could still play major and worthwhile roles. For example, you can imagine Duckworth as Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:52 PM   #34
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Worth pointing out that any potential candidates for VP that don't get chosen don't necessarily disappear into the mists either. There are plenty of non-veep cabinet positions where they could still play major and worthwhile roles. For example, you can imagine Duckworth as Secretary of Veterans Affairs.

We've never had a female SecDef.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:53 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
We've never had a female SecDef.
Someone could be first.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:06 PM   #36
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Boxed himself in?

And in case you hadn't noticed, Duckworth is a minority candidate.

NYT: Tammy Duckworth Is Nothing and Everything Like Joe Biden

Who better to stand up to Cadet Bonespurs than Duckworth?

But I think Harris will get it. How many times has a VP pick influenced their home state to switch vote?

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 2nd August 2020 at 10:11 PM.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:40 AM   #37
Firestone

I thought Harris was less popular with black voters than Biden.
Yes, she definitely was in primary polls.

It's weird how Biden won the nomination thanks to the support of African American voters, but is now (apparently) lagging Clinton with them.
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:44 AM   #38
Firestone

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I picked Michelle Grisham. I think the virus response is his best issue, practically the only issue if the election were held today, and picking a governor who did things right is a nice contrast to a president who didn't.
Hispanics are another demographics where (according to polls), Biden is lagging Clinton, so that could also make sense.
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:46 AM   #39
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Lol
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:00 AM   #40
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I think he'll choose Elizabeth Warren. She seems pretty popular with Democrats, though so is Kamala Harris. But he's pretty conservative so he'll choose someone white.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics