IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th August 2020, 10:12 AM   #361
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I wouldn't have said so. I think Captain_Swoop was saying that Kamala personally is descended from a rich slave owning family and that this makes it a little awkward for her if she wants to present herself as some kind of avatar for black people struggling with the legacy of slavery.
First of all, he was quoting a tweet, not posting it himself. And second the implication of the quote is that black people are the descendant of slaves and so on, which is a claim of a collectivist view.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:15 AM   #362
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I wouldn't have said so. I think Captain_Swoop was saying that Kamala personally is descended from a rich slave owning family and that this makes it a little awkward for her if she wants to present herself as some kind of avatar for black people struggling with the legacy of slavery.
I suppose it depends on what is more important, one out of a thousand relatives from 10 generations ago, or the struggles that she and her family have had to overcome.

Statistically all Europeans are descended from Charlemagne, does this mean that someone who has dragged themselves up by their bootstraps should be derided because they're "royalty"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:15 AM   #363
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
First of all, he was quoting a tweet, not posting it himself. And second the implication of the quote is that black people are the descendant of slaves and so on, which is a claim of a collectivist view.
posting and agreeing with it.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:18 AM   #364
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
posting and agreeing with it.
Nonsense. He's clearly quoting someone else in order to highlight the stupidity of his words. Dinesh D'Souza is a terrible human being.

This can't be the first time you see Swoop quote Trump or one of his sycophants just to inform us of what they are posting. Reporting is not agreeing.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:22 AM   #365
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

The black descendants of white slave owners, famously wealthy and powerful people. /s

Unless the ancestry linkage between Harris and the slaveowning family is pretty recent, there's a decent chance that Harris's black ancestor was both a slave and the direct descendant of a white slave owner. Slavers raping their slaves, and sometimes producing children, isn't unusual.

This is, of course, making the very shaky assumption that Dinesh D'Souza isn't just totally full of ****, like usual.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th August 2020 at 10:24 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:34 AM   #366
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The black descendants of white slave owners, famously wealthy and powerful people. /s

Unless the ancestry linkage between Harris and the slaveowning family is pretty recent, there's a decent chance that Harris's black ancestor was both a slave and the direct descendant of a white slave owner. Slavers raping their slaves, and sometimes producing children, isn't unusual.

This is, of course, making the very shaky assumption that Dinesh D'Souza isn't just totally full of ****, like usual.
This quote from her father seems to be the origin of this claim:
Quote:
“My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town) and to my maternal grandmother Miss Iris (née Iris Finegan, farmer and educator, from Aenon Town and Inverness, ancestry unknown to me). The Harris name comes from my paternal grandfather Joseph Alexander Harris, land-owner and agricultural ‘produce’ exporter (mostly pimento or all-spice), who died in 1939 one year after I was born and is buried in the church yard of the magnificent Anglican Church which Hamilton Brown built in Brown’s Town (and where, as a child, I learned the catechism, was baptized and confirmed, and served as an acolyte).”
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ka...cestor-slaves/
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:43 AM   #367
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
As someone with some difficulty hearing, I think the next few months are going to be hard to distinguish between "ka-ma-la har-ris" and "co-ro-na vi-rus".
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 12th August 2020 at 10:48 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:55 AM   #368
rockysmith76
Banned

Nonsense. He's clearly quoting someone else in order to highlight the stupidity of his words. Dinesh D'Souza is a terrible human being.

This can't be the first time you see Swoop quote Trump or one of his sycophants just to inform us of what they are posting. Reporting is not agreeing.
If he's doing it that much he clearly likes their work, so he clearly agrees with them. Dinesh D'Souza is a fine human being with the same right to his opinion that you or I have.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:58 AM   #369
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

If he's doing it that much he clearly likes their work, so he clearly agrees with them. Dinesh D'Souza is a fine human being with the same right to his opinion that you or I have.
Captain_Swoop is a fine human being a pretty decent guy with the same right to his opinion that you or I have. You should read some of his posts where he isn't quoting others to get a feel for why he quotes people he doesn't actually agree with.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:58 AM   #370
Belz...
Fiend God

If he's doing it that much he clearly likes their work, so he clearly agrees with them.
So if I quote you saying something stupid, as I just have, that means I agree with you?

Quote:
Dinesh D'Souza is a fine human being with the same right to his opinion that you or I have.
No, he's not; yes, he does.

Old 12th August 2020, 11:01 AM   #371
rockysmith76
Banned

So if I quote you saying something stupid, as I just have, that means I agree with you?

No, he's not; yes, he does.
Yes he is and yes he does, and no, you trying to gaslight. Swoop clearly enjoys reading Weber and pals.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:01 AM   #372
carlitos
"más divertido"

If he's doing it that much he clearly likes their work, so he clearly agrees with them.
Saying things that you have literally just been told are not true is just stupid.

IDinesh D'Souza is a fine human being.......
Just trolling the libs, then. Good for you.

Last edited by carlitos; 12th August 2020 at 11:02 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:02 AM   #373
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes he is and yes he does, and no, you trying to gaslight.
Disagreeing with you is not gaslighting.

Stop lying. No one here believes you.

Old 12th August 2020, 11:03 AM   #374
Elagabalus
Philosopher

... Dinesh D'Souza is a fine human being with the same right to his opinion that you or I have.

And who happens to be bat-crap insane.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:04 AM   #375
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Saying things that you have literally just been told are not true is just stupid.
More gaslighting, okay that's fine.

Quote:
Just trolling the libs, then. Good for you.
Why would you do that? It's like fish in a barrel.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:05 AM   #376
Belz...
Fiend God

Why would you do that? It's like fish in a barrel.
Says the guy who keeps shooting himself in the foot.

Old 12th August 2020, 11:06 AM   #377
carlitos
"más divertido"

deleted upon reflection

Last edited by carlitos; 12th August 2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: plonk better than yellow card
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:09 AM   #378
Belz...
Fiend God

deleted upon reflection
I always knew Carlitos was a vampire.

Old 12th August 2020, 11:13 AM   #379
rockysmith76
Banned

Says the guy who keeps shooting himself in the foot.
Man, how frustrated are you? Kamala will fit the Liberal Bill, and all the Dems and kumbiyaa together about how bad the Orange Man is.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:16 AM   #380
Belz...
Fiend God

Man, how frustrated are you?
On a scale of one to a hundred? Zero. You're nowhere near as good at trolling as you believe. I've seen magnificent trolls in my time. You're not even moving the needle. Here's a tip for you: trolling has to hit a nerve; and that only works if it's internally consistent and has a basis in truth, no matter how shallow. If it's just random proclamations it not only reveals itself immediately, but it loses potency as well.

Hope that helps for your illustrious career in the future.

Quote:
Kamala will fit the Liberal Bill, and all the Dems and kumbiyaa together about how bad the Orange Man is.
Well, they will be correct. Orange man IS bad. Everyone can see it except his cultists.

Old 12th August 2020, 11:21 AM   #381
Lupus
Scholar

So it looks like Bernie's vote divider is getting her reward.
Who will be the first Canadian president? Kamala Harris or Ted Cruz?
Lupus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:39 AM   #382
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Dinesh D'Souza has gone in to overdrive
Here are a few of the screeds of tweets on the issue he has posted today.

Many leftists are desperately waiting for @KevinMKruse to refute my contention Kamala Harris is descended from one of Jamaica’s largest slaveowners. But he’s silent because he knows it’s true. No squid-like cloud of obfuscation, not even from Kruse, can alter the crushing fact

The “first black woman” hoopla is based on the idea that finally a female descendant of slaves can make it all the way to the White House. The problem is that Kamala Harris is descended from one of Jamaica’s largest slaveowners. This exposes the whole morality tale as a farce!

The supreme irony is that the party of slavery that demands public dissociation from all connections with slavery has nominated for the vice presidency a woman who is the descendant & beneficiary of one of the largest slave planters in Jamaica. How do they get out of this one?
I'd guess a majority, probably a substantial majority, of African Americans and Afro-Jamaicans are also descended from slave owners, simply because rape of female slaves by their masters was an everyday occurrence.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:42 AM   #383
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
Definitely not Harris. Ted Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta. Kamala Harris was born in Oakland, California.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:42 AM   #384
carlitos
"más divertido"

Ben Shapiro said:
“Kamala Harris is a far-left radical with a shocking inability to connect on a personal level; she’s rehearsed and mechanical...”
And then the universe imploded with irony.

Old 12th August 2020, 11:44 AM   #385
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Ben Shapiro said:
“Kamala Harris is a far-left radical with a shocking inability to connect on a personal level; she’s rehearsed and mechanical...”

The first time I heard Ben talk, I thought some twitter jerk had sped up his audio to make him sound like a weird dweeb.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:46 AM   #386
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Definitely not Harris. Ted Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta. Kamala Harris was born in Oakland, California.
"Canadian" is one of many well-known racist code terms for black people.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:50 AM   #387
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

"Canadian" is one of many well-known racist code terms for black people.
Oh for crap's sake, when did that happen? When will these people understand that the Civil War is over, and their side lost?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:54 AM   #388
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Man, how frustrated are you? Kamala will fit the Liberal Bill, and all the Dems and kumbiyaa together about how bad the Orange Man is.
I know the black woman scares you. I'm sorry.

Also do you ever intend to answer any questions in the thread you started after the other thread you started got rightfully sent to AAH?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th August 2020 at 11:55 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:54 AM   #389
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
Is you from the south, lupus? Nice one!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:57 AM   #390
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Ben Shapiro said:

He left out uppity.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:58 AM   #391
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So Kamala Harris is a far left radical that's still not left enough for Twitter.

2020 everyone.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:04 PM   #392
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I know the black woman scares you. I'm sorry.

Also do you ever intend to answer any questions in the thread you started after the other thread you started got rightfully sent to AAH?
No, I just note your apparent obsession with racism. Was that supposed to be a dig? I guess that's better than the other guy's triggerisms.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:06 PM   #393
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No, I just note your apparent obsession with racism. Was that supposed to be a dig? I guess that's better than the other guy's triggerisms.
Ever going to answer those questions?
Old 12th August 2020, 12:07 PM   #394
rockysmith76
Banned

Ever going to answer those questions?
Flex that obsession! Or gain a more versatile approach....
Old 12th August 2020, 12:24 PM   #395
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

So Kamala Harris is a far left radical that's still not left enough for Twitter.

2020 everyone.
The Federalist, a right wing rag, is selling "Kamala is a cop" T-shirts.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/06/21...-now-for-sale/

Who is this for? All the bitter Bernie bros that read the Federalist?
Old 12th August 2020, 12:25 PM   #396
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Oh for crap's sake, when did that happen? When will these people understand that the Civil War is over, and their side lost?
Oh, they know. It's why they have to play the tee-hee seekrit code word game. Do you think they'd do so otherwise?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:26 PM   #397
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

2020 everyone.
For Trump, anyone with a 'D' after their name is a 'far left radical'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 01:08 PM   #398
Gavin
Scholar

She said she believed Biden's rape accuser but had no problem accepting his vp offer https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/11...rape-accusers/
Gavin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 01:10 PM   #399
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

deleted
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 01:11 PM   #400
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

There were more than a few very negative comments that I'm sure will be recycled by Trump's team. IIRC, Kamala had some rather unfavorable things to say about Biden's record on opposing desegregation via busing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics