IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th August 2020, 05:30 PM   #121
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
... Or else what?
What? There's no threat or anything else implied. I think most of those in the list are more qualified than the R VP candidates I mentioned. What do you think?
Old 5th August 2020, 05:40 PM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The way I see it, voters tend to think of the VP as part of the candidate's total package. Some will select the candidate because of their VP pick. Some will select the candidate in spite of their VP pick. Some will select the candidate without caring about the VP pick. None will select the VP independently of their preference for the candidate.
I think that is true. People vote the top of the ticket.
Old 5th August 2020, 06:27 PM   #123
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What? There's no threat or anything else implied. I think most of those in the list are more qualified than the R VP candidates I mentioned. What do you think?
Oh. I don't care.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 06:35 PM   #124
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Oh. I don't care.
Of course you don't.
Old 5th August 2020, 07:09 PM   #125
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Of course you don't. : rolleyes :
Indeed.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 08:19 AM   #126
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
.....because I am not hiring this person, I am presenting them as a potential hire to the American people, and I think it is important that a person representing a race and gender that has never been represented in this office before be offered up as an option.

And, is Biden really campaigning all that much? - he is not even going to attend the "convention".

(but, yeah, he is just fine- fit as a fiddle!!)

Well said. Biden is not hiring his VP and he will not be the boss, i.e. he cannot fire the VP after she is elected. This is simply as if you were going to apply for a job that hires people in pairs and you wanted to pick someone you know to come and apply with you.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 08:30 PM   #127
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Rumor is it's between Rice and Harris.

Susan Rice would be perfect.
I picked Kamala Harris because that is who I think he will go with, but like you, I think Susan Rice would be the best pick, and if he went that way, Kamala Harris' extensive legal experience would make her a great AG.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 10:47 PM   #128
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

I think Harris is likely the best speaker; but I fervently hope that Biden does NOT choose a sitting US senator.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 11:22 PM   #129
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
...People around here switching to the "What's wrong with defending Stalin?" line shortly.

I'm afraid that's your own cross to bear. I want Trump to nuke those Russkies back to the stone age.

"but, but, but .... that makes you a hypocrite!"

No, that makes me a troll.

"Whatever, dude, we win 'cuz you just said you're no better than us!!"

No, you'll only "win" if, you know, you actually win. And the lib platform is still completely different. So there's that to look forward to and, of course, a whole lot of trolling!

"But that's not fair!"

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 02:49 PM   #130
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I picked Kamala Harris because that is who I think he will go with, but like you, I think Susan Rice would be the best pick, and if he went that way, Kamala Harris' extensive legal experience would make her a great AG.
Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
I think Harris is likely the best speaker; but I fervently hope that Biden does NOT choose a sitting US senator.
I'd prefer he doesn't take any out of the Senate to put in his cabinet, either.
Old 7th August 2020, 03:26 PM   #131
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

If I'm not mistaken, it's been 36 years since a sitting member of the House of Representatives ran for VP. That would seem to imply that the "conventional wisdom" is that representatives don't have enough national recognition to bring in a lot of votes.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 07:45 AM   #132
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The thing is, the demonstrations have not been universally popular among Dems, and the Defund the Police movement is still in its infancy and still lacks a universal formula for how to get there. Putting a Dem with and LE background on the ticket could help counter some of that. Give Dems leverage to appear to counter the worst ideas regarding changes in Law Enforcement in America, without coming out in support of the old status quo.
The Nation argues that picking Harris would in fact be support for the old status quo:

https://www.thenation.com/article/po...ce-prosecutor/
Old 8th August 2020, 08:07 AM   #133
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The Nation argues that picking Harris would in fact be support for the old status quo:

If the Nation is against it, it's gotta be the smart thing to do.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 09:31 AM   #134
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You do get that an Op-ed in The Nation is not the same thing as The Nation don't you?
Old 8th August 2020, 11:22 AM   #135
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You do get that an Op-ed in The Nation is not the same thing as The Nation don't you?
It's a shorthand. The Nation published it. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.
Old 8th August 2020, 11:38 AM   #136
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's a shorthand. The Nation published it. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.
It's a big wrong impression don't you think? I can go the NY Times on any given Sunday and read Op-Eds that profess diametrically opposed opinions. The same is true about The Nation.
Old 8th August 2020, 03:00 PM   #137
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

More breaking news from the Bee:
Biden Tells Staffers To Pick Any Black Person For VP 'Since They All Think The Same Anyway'
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 11:07 PM   #138
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Doocy from Fox had an amazing scoop yesterday: "Biden has picked his running mate".

And there's video from Biden (in his bizarre looking basement, I guess) confirming it:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th August 2020, 12:53 PM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a big wrong impression don't you think? I can go the NY Times on any given Sunday and read Op-Eds that profess diametrically opposed opinions. The same is true about The Nation.
I think the opinion is more interesting than the publisher.
Old 9th August 2020, 06:01 PM   #140
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Why Joe Biden Keeps Missing His Own V.P. Deadlines

Well, I figure it can't be too much longer. The Democratic national convention begins begins on Aug. 17.

Quote:
Mr. Biden is not a man who can be rushed, on issues big or small.
Old 9th August 2020, 06:06 PM   #141
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think the opinion is more interesting than the publisher.
Sure. But it is still just one person's opinion and nothing more.
Old 9th August 2020, 06:07 PM   #142
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Why Joe Biden Keeps Missing His Own V.P. Deadlines

Well, I figure it can't be too much longer. The Democratic national convention begins begins on Aug. 17.
There's no hurry. I'd wait till the last possible day to announce.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:00 PM   #143
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

How could you overlook this, from the same indisputable source:
Quote:
Pentagon Officials Scramble To Change Nuclear Code From 'Covfefe'
https://babylonbee.com/news/pentagon...r-code-covfefe
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 07:02 PM   #144
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. But it is still just one person's opinion and nothing more.
"Address the argument, not the arguer."
Old 9th August 2020, 07:03 PM   #145
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's no hurry. I'd wait till the last possible day to announce.
That makes so much sense that one would be a fool not to ask why he keeps saying he'll do it sooner.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:11 PM   #146
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I thought that was the argument.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:14 PM   #147
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That makes so much sense that one would be a fool not to ask why he keeps saying he'll do it sooner.
That's called the tease. Trump does that all the time. Keep them hanging....keep it in the news.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:30 PM   #148
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The argument is that Biden should not pick a former prosecutor or police chief, a criterion that would rule out a number of names on Biden's short list, most notably Kamala Harris, but also Gretchen Whitmer, Val Demmings (why does autocorrect change that to 'Lemmings'?), and Amy Klobuchar.

I simply disagree with the argument. I'm more worried about swing voters than appeasing the far left. Harris has her flaws, but so do all the other choices. So does Biden himself.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:31 PM   #149
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You thought wrong. You haven't even started to address the argument.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:52 PM   #150
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You thought wrong. You haven't even started to address the argument.
You said "The Nation argues that picking Harris would in fact be support for the old status quo:" I pointed out quite correctly The Nation in fact did no such thing since an op-ed published in the Nation is not the same thing and is in fact just the opinion of the author of the Op-Ed and not The Nation.

How is that addressing the arguer?
Old 9th August 2020, 07:56 PM   #151
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(only 6 seconds long)
Old 10th August 2020, 09:10 AM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You said "The Nation argues that picking Harris would in fact be support for the old status quo:" I pointed out quite correctly The Nation in fact did no such thing since an op-ed published in the Nation is not the same thing and is in fact just the opinion of the author of the Op-Ed and not The Nation.

How is that addressing the arguer?
The Nation published the argument. You contest that they are not necessarily the arguer. Which I happily concede. You have yet to actually address the argument they published.
Old 10th August 2020, 09:14 AM   #153
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's called the tease. Trump does that all the time.
I've long believed that politicians are more like each other than they are like the people that vote for them.

Besides, it's possible to tease a future announcement without repeatedly giving specific time frames and then missing them.
Old 10th August 2020, 02:24 PM   #154
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, Whitmer was actually invited out for an in-person interview but still isn't seen as a viable alternative here.

I agree that she is a long shot, but no takers at all is a bit weird.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 02:48 PM   #155
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I've long believed that politicians are more like each other than they are like the people that vote for them.
I would agree with that. Except I don't think there are many people like Trump.

Besides, it's possible to tease a future announcement without repeatedly giving specific time frames and then missing them.
It's possible...but it doesn't matter. Overall I think Trump is a lazy moron. But he did one thing well and that was manipulate the press. Mark Cuban called him a master at headline porn. Which is the ability to create a new headline that makes people forget about last week's headline.
Old 10th August 2020, 02:51 PM   #156
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, Whitmer was actually invited out for an in-person interview but still isn't seen as a viable alternative here.

I agree that she is a long shot, but no takers at all is a bit weird.
I never voted because voting on this seems like throwing a dart. I had no idea that Hillary would pick Kaine or that Trump would pick Pence.
Old 10th August 2020, 03:25 PM   #157
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I would agree with that. Except I don't think there are many people like Trump.
I think Trump is notable in politics for being something of a naked singularity. I think most career politicians enjoy a lot more cover from the establishment they contribute to and are a part of. They're also a lot better at concealing their venality and foolishness from the voting public. But Trump has, improbably, made a career out of putting that on display. So he looks a lot different from other politicians because other politicians put a lot more effort into hiding what they really look like.
Old 10th August 2020, 03:31 PM   #158
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I never voted because voting on this seems like throwing a dart. I had no idea that Hillary would pick Kaine or that Trump would pick Pence.
I thought Trump would pick a cardboard cutout of himself.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 03:33 PM   #159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I thought Trump would pick a cardboard cutout of himself.
An unnatural-born citizen?
Old 10th August 2020, 03:37 PM   #160
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

An unnatural-born citizen?
Definitely more honest and moral. But then again, who isn't?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics