IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2020, 03:53 PM   #161
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think Trump is notable in politics for being something of a naked singularity. I think most career politicians enjoy a lot more cover from the establishment they contribute to and are a part of. They're also a lot better at concealing their venality and foolishness from the voting public. But Trump has, improbably, made a career out of putting that on display. So he looks a lot different from other politicians because other politicians put a lot more effort into hiding what they really look like.
Nope, that's not it.

I worked in politics. I was an intern for a Democratic US Senator an aide for a Republican congressman and I worked for a mayor in the midwest. Every single one of these politicians were kind, civil and genuinely nice people. Trump is not like any of them. Trump is a vile, self centered bully. I have met only one person in my life who was that self centered and that person went to prison.
Old 10th August 2020, 04:27 PM   #162
Venom
Illuminator

"at least he's honest"
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 05:31 PM   #163
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nope, that's not it.

I worked in politics. I was an intern for a Democratic US Senator an aide for a Republican congressman and I worked for a mayor in the midwest. Every single one of these politicians were kind, civil and genuinely nice people. Trump is not like any of them. Trump is a vile, self centered bully. I have met only one person in my life who was that self centered and that person went to prison.
OLOL There are plenty of accounts of Trump being extremely nice and easy in person.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 05:36 PM   #164
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
"at least he's honest" : rolleyes :
Ha. That would indeed be a silly claim. That's not what I'm saying, though. I wouldn't call it honesty. In his own obvious way, he's just as deceptive as the rest. It's more like a carelessness for the conventional proprieties of the political class. It's the obviousness.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 06:13 PM   #165
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Harris ran away with this poll, but I don't understand how Duckworth ended up tied for second. True, she's a minority, but she's not a person who can excite the people of color to come out to vote.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 06:44 PM   #166
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

OLOL There are plenty of accounts of Trump being extremely nice and easy in person.
I'm sure if he was talking about himself.
Old 10th August 2020, 06:50 PM   #167
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure if he was talking about himself.
That's not what's reported by people who have met him one on one.
Old 10th August 2020, 07:01 PM   #168
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Actually it is.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:19 PM   #169
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Psychopaths can be very charming in person. It's how they get away with things for so long until you get to know them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:34 AM   #170
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I would agree with that. Except I don't think there are many people like Trump.
I don't know about that. I think conmen are more like each other than the people who fall for them.
Old 11th August 2020, 01:58 AM   #171
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Brace yourself: America is about to act really awkward about Biden’s female VP pick
Originally Posted by Monica Hesse (WAPO)
Whoever ends up as his running mate doesn’t get to be a candidate; she has to be a complement. Because Biden is often defensive, she’ll have to be calm; because he’s older, she’ll have to be exciting; because he’d be president, she can’t be too exciting lest she outshine him. She also needs to be ready to lead on Day One — Biden is, after all, 77 — but ideally, she’d also be a “surprising” choice we’ve never heard of. Because if we’ve heard of her, a chunk of the population will have already decided they don’t like her.

In other words, she’ll be expected to perform the tedious emotional support that women have spent the past five to 50 years raising awareness of, responsible for not only her own work, but also the work of making this older White man look good.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:57 AM   #172
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Many people are saying...whatevs.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 05:07 AM   #173
Belz...
Fiend God

"Address the argument, not the arguer."
He wasn't talking about you, but the op-ed.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 05:09 AM   #174
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Wow, there really is no way to win with some of these guys.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 07:20 AM   #175
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
He wasn't talking about you, but the op-ed.
So was I.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:22 AM   #176
Belz...
Fiend God

So was I.
That rule doesn't apply to people who aren't members.

And it wasn't an ad hominem because of the nature of the argument being responded to.

Old 11th August 2020, 07:26 AM   #177
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, there really is no way to win with some of these guys.
Heh. I keep telling you the mainstream media is not your friend. But this is the Perspectives column in the Style section. It's probably okay to expect this kind of article there.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:29 AM   #178
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That rule doesn't apply to people who aren't members.
It's not only a rule. It's a principle. The principle applies everywhere. The rule was implemented here in an attempt to uphold the principle.

Quote:
And it wasn't an ad hominem because of the nature of the argument being responded to.
Maybe ad hom isn't the right word. My point was that acbytesla decided to tackle the question of whether the Nation was the author or the publisher of the argument, rather than set aside who the arguer was and examine the argument itself. I think he assumed I was making an appeal to authority - the Nation said it, and that's important. Actually I was just saying, here's where it was said. Whether it's important is up to you to decide after you examine the argument. Which I guess acbytesla has decided they're not going to do.

Whether that's because they don't like the Nation, or because they don't like the claim, or because they just don't care about the question, is anyone's guess.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:33 AM   #179
Belz...
Fiend God

It's not only a rule. It's a principle. The principle applies everywhere.
You wrote it specifically to match the MA here. I reasonably interpreted that you were talking about the rule itself. If you were refering to a larger principle, fine, but don't expect others to conform to your own values.

Quote:
My point was that acbytesla decided to tackle the question of whether the Nation was the author or the publisher of the argument, rather than set aside who the arguer was and examine the argument itself.
No, he was taking issue with the contention that the Nation endorsed this view, when op-eds are a different matter. Acbytesla doesn't need to address every issue you imagine he could address. He only needs to address the issues he feels are worthwhile. And he's right, but you have failed to acknowledge that.

Old 11th August 2020, 07:40 AM   #180
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You wrote it specifically to match the MA here. I reasonably interpreted that you were talking about the rule itself. If you were refering to a larger principle, fine, but don't expect others to conform to your own values.
Not expectation. Hope.

Quote:
No, he was taking issue with the contention that the Nation endorsed this view, when op-eds are a different matter. Acbytesla doesn't need to address every issue you imagine he could address. He only needs to address the issues he feels are worthwhile. And he's right, but you have failed to acknowledge that.
It was not my contention that the Nation endorsed this view. My wording was misleading. I thought once that was cleared up, people might be interested in the argument itself, for why Biden should not pick Harris.

If acbytesla doesn't think it's worthwhile to discuss the merits of the people on the short list for this role, in a thread on that topic, that's fine. As long as we're clear that's what's happening.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:42 AM   #181
Belz...
Fiend God

Not expectation. Hope.
Fair enough.

Quote:
It was not my contention that the Nation endorsed this view. My wording was misleading.
Good. I consider the matter closed, then. I'm sure acbytesla will agree.

Old 11th August 2020, 08:17 AM   #182
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I've long believed that politicians are more like each other than they are like the people that vote for them.
And yet, no past president unleashed goons to attack peaceful protesters. No past president threatened a whistleblower extra legally. No past president explicitly encouraged violence against journalists. No past president stated their love for brutal dictators. No past president has been servile to Russia. No past president proposed bleach consumption. No past president ... I could go on at astounding length.

In short, this is yet another transparent attempt to normalize a dangerous, fascistic, sociopathic imbecile -- a freak show and then some.

Last edited by varwoche; 11th August 2020 at 08:18 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 08:58 AM   #183
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
And yet, no past president unleashed goons to attack peaceful protesters. No past president threatened a whistleblower extra legally. No past president explicitly encouraged violence against journalists. No past president stated their love for brutal dictators. No past president has been servile to Russia. No past president proposed bleach consumption. No past president ... I could go on at astounding length.

In short, this is yet another transparent attempt to normalize a dangerous, fascistic, sociopathic imbecile -- a freak show and then some.
Exactly! I find it patently absurd to try and normalize Trump. Sorry Prestige, this totally false equivalence of a dangerous nut job just ain't going to work. I keep wondering who you are trying to convince? Yourself?

This isn't 2016 where we can say things like, the nutty stuff is just a show and Trump will grow into the job. He'll start acting Presidential once he's in the the job.
Old 11th August 2020, 09:28 AM   #184
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Looking forward to KHive weirdos throwing a fit if Harris isn't the pick.
Old 11th August 2020, 11:23 AM   #185
Venom
Illuminator

Back in early 2019 it appeared as though Democrats and Democrat sympathizing media were ready to crown Kamala Harris the presumptive nominee.

That didn't work out but the VP conversation seems to be giving her career new life.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:48 AM   #186
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Joe Biden has informed his top advisors of his pick, expect a public announcement "soon."

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...ick/index.html

Quote:
Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, has selected his running mate, revealing to top advisers on Tuesday the woman he will invite to join his ticket, two people familiar with the matter tell CNN.

He is poised to make the announcement as early as today.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th August 2020 at 11:50 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 12:08 PM   #187
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
And yet, no past president unleashed goons to attack peaceful protesters.
Historical ignorance is a sight to behold.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Raids

Quote:
No past president threatened a whistleblower extra legally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedition_Act_of_1918

Quote:
No past president stated their love for brutal dictators. No past president has been servile to Russia.
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...th_stalin.html

Quote:
No past president proposed bleach consumption.
Neither did Trump.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 12:10 PM   #188
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Back in early 2019 it appeared as though Democrats and Democrat sympathizing media were ready to crown Kamala Harris the presumptive nominee.

That didn't work out but the VP conversation seems to be giving her career new life.
The San Francisco Chronicle former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown argues that Harris should turn down the VP slot, as being too small for her ambitions.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-15468145.php

Solid career advice? Or applied sour grapes?
Old 11th August 2020, 01:10 PM   #189
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
And the Winner is, Kamala Harris!

I must have completely missed the swimsuit competition.

Last edited by Mike!; 11th August 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:10 PM   #190
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Bad examples.

1. Palmer Raids were against non-citizens who were deported, not law abiding American citizens.

2. Sedition Act was only during time of war and was repealed in 1920.

3. Robert Orlando is a right wing nut job. His article on Roosevelt, whom right wingers demonize as a socialist, is worthless.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:11 PM   #191
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Biden picks Harris.
https://joebiden.com/#
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:17 PM   #192
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not surprised he picked Harris.

Waiting for Trump to make some insulting remark. Because you know he will.
Old 11th August 2020, 01:22 PM   #193
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This is a great choice. I'm dying to watch the attack dogs get unleashed when Trump's lick spittles make the "Too ambitious" attack.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:25 PM   #194
MrFliop
Thinker

Great! A fellow primary candidate whose most memorable moment was attacking Joe’s record on race.

Also whose campaign couldn’t even survive till the first primary contest.

Sooooooo enthusiastic I am now to vote Biden

Last edited by MrFliop; 11th August 2020 at 01:27 PM.
MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:29 PM   #195
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
Great! A fellow primary candidate whose most memorable moment was attacking Joe’s record on race.
Shows she's not a lap dog and Biden didn't want one.

Unlike VP "My God Is Called Donald" Pence.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:30 PM   #196
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I'm curious, what happens if Biden gives up the ghost before election day? Do people just keep voting the same Biden/Harris ticket, and VP Harris gets the bump on inauguration day? Or does she become the candidate and select a VP to run with her?
Old 11th August 2020, 01:30 PM   #197
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
Sooooooo enthusiastic I am now to vote Biden
You don't have to be enthusiastic. Just not stupid.
Old 11th August 2020, 01:38 PM   #198
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Shows she's not a lap dog and Biden didn't want one.

Unlike VP "My God Is Called Donald" Pence.
I fully understand that after four years of Trump, normal politics, such as a president or president candidate being criticized and not hating the person criticizing them, might be confusing or off-putting to some people.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:41 PM   #199
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm curious, what happens if Biden gives up the ghost before election day? Do people just keep voting the same Biden/Harris ticket, and VP Harris gets the bump on inauguration day? Or does she become the candidate and select a VP to run with her?
That question's been asked at just about every election with an older candidate. Not all details are clear, but f it's before the election, the party would choose another nominee, most likely the VP pick, but it could be anybody. If it happens too close to the election for ballots to be reprinted, voters would choose the existing slate, and the winning electors would probably be assigned to the new one. After the election, the elected VP probably steps up, unless there's a question about who was elected president.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...un-for-office/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...nline_manual_2
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...s-over-part-2/

There's enough uncertainty to make it really interesting.

Last edited by Bob001; 11th August 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11th August 2020, 01:45 PM   #200
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
1. Palmer Raids were against non-citizens who were deported, not law abiding American citizens.
Who knew Trump opponents were anti-immigrant? Learn something new every day.

But you're rather missing the point. Yes, they were immigrants. But they weren't illegal immigrants. They were not targeted because they were immigrants, that just made deportation possible. They were targeted because of their political opinions.

Quote:
2. Sedition Act was only during time of war and was repealed in 1920.
The repeal doesn't change the fact that it was passed. And the fact that it was during a time of war is an excuse, it's not a justification.

Quote:
3. Robert Orlando is a right wing nut job. His article on Roosevelt, whom right wingers demonize as a socialist, is worthless.
Nevertheless, Roosevelt said nice things about Stalin. You can't ad hom your way around that fact.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics