IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th August 2020, 01:49 PM   #201
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Slight digression: I think the picture of Biden on his web site is flopped, that is, reversed. He usually wears his flag pin on his left side, and it looks like the star field is on the wrong side.
https://joebiden.com/#
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=biden+flag...2FRTS2JYD4.jpg

Attention to detail matters.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:50 PM   #202
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Lincoln Project: 'Kamela'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwxqxlUXXY
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 01:52 PM   #203
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm curious, what happens if Biden gives up the ghost before election day? Do people just keep voting the same Biden/Harris ticket, and VP Harris gets the bump on inauguration day? Or does she become the candidate and select a VP to run with her?
No, the Dems would have to nominate a new ticket. Biden would be ineligible to run, from what I understand, and votes for him would be nullified. Maybe. It's never happened before. Came close, Horace Greeley kicked it between the general and EC votes, but he lost the general vote so the question was never tested.

Where it would get interesting is after the election, or after the EC vote and before the swearing in. Harris would then get the gig. That's either the 20th or 25th amendment. She then nominates a VP to get certified by the House. Once she becomes the VP-elect, it's official. The only problem is, the term VP-Elect, while used in the constitution, is not defined.

Of course, some of these rules were written when the VP was it's own race and not a single ticket item. So who knows. But it Biden punches out before the vote, I'm sure the Dems would have an alternate ready to go.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:06 PM   #204
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Lincoln Project: 'Kamela'
I am so used to see their ads being anti-trump/anti-republican attacks that it seems almost weird to see a positive pro-Democrat ad. (Not that I am complaining... Their stuff usually seems to be good )

Eta: I wonder if they threw that together at the last minute or if they had multiple ads (one for each possible VP pick) ready just in case.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 11th August 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:08 PM   #205
llwyd
Muse

Sound choice. Good.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:10 PM   #206
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how many versions for different possibles they actually prepared.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:11 PM   #207
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Bad examples.

1. Palmer Raids were against non-citizens who were deported, not law abiding American citizens.
Shifting the goalposts. The criteria was peaceful protesters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:12 PM   #208
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That link leads to Obama's final Correspondents' Association speech. How far we've fallen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFkEj7KPC0
Old 11th August 2020, 02:16 PM   #209
Hans
Philosopher

Harris, wow I made a correct guess. Think I'll start playing options.....well maybe not
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:17 PM   #210
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Harris
Ed?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:22 PM   #211
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I am so used to see their ads being anti-trump/anti-republican attacks that it seems almost weird to see a positive pro-Democrat ad. (Not that I am complaining... Their stuff usually seems to be good )

Eta: I wonder if they threw that together at the last minute or if they had multiple ads (one for each possible VP pick) ready just in case.
Probably pre-prepared a few of the more likely ones, the same way as I have no doubt there are people on this board preprepped to explain why it's a bad pick regardless of who Biden chose.
Old 11th August 2020, 02:25 PM   #212
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A reasonable choice but not my fav pick.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:31 PM   #213
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
A reasonable choice but not my fav pick.
Not mine either.. but I get it. Traditionally, the Presidential candidate tries to stay above the fray and the VP candidate is the attack dog. Kamala Harris is probably best suited for that role.
Old 11th August 2020, 02:37 PM   #214
llwyd
Muse

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Not mine either.. but I get it. Traditionally, the Presidential candidate tries to stay above the fray and the VP candidate is the attack dog. Kamala Harris is probably best suited for that role.
VP choice is not hugely important as regards the election. You can basically only screw it up or be safe and meh. So I really do like this safe, non-exciting choice. So far Biden has played this election pretty perfectly. You can't compete with the Clown in Chief for the daily news cycles this early and neither you should when the idiot is digging deeper and deeper.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:39 PM   #215
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

That can't be thrown together that quickly. They have at least five of those ready to go. One day I think it would be interesting to see what the others looked like.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:47 PM   #216
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Who knew Trump opponents were anti-immigrant? Learn something new every day.
You might want to learn the difference between stating a fact that they were immigrants and being anti-immigrant. But nice try.

Quote:
But you're rather missing the point. Yes, they were immigrants. But they weren't illegal immigrants. They were not targeted because they were immigrants, that just made deportation possible. They were targeted because of their political opinions.
You missed varwoche's point which was "And yet, no past president unleashed goons to attack peaceful protesters," to which you linked to the Palmer raids. Those weren't protesters; those were immigrant political anarchists and immigrant communist labor actvists. They weren't protesting. Do try and get your facts straight.

Quote:
The repeal doesn't change the fact that it was passed. And the fact that it was during a time of war is an excuse, it's not a justification.
Nonsense. You used the Sedition Act in an attempt to somehow hand wave away this statement by varwoche:

Quote:
No past president threatened a whistleblower extra legally.
How you think the Sedition Act of 1918 has anything to do with the above is a mystery. The whistleblower was not committing sedition. Whistleblowers are protected by law and you damn well know it.

Quote:
Nevertheless, Roosevelt said nice things about Stalin. You can't ad hom your way around that fact.
Oh, get off it. Roosevelt had to work with Stalin during WWII because he needed him. Roosevelt wasn't "servile" to Stalin and he certainly didn't accept Stalin's word over his own intelligence agencies like Trump has. Nor did he act the fool the way Trump has with Kim. You can't lie your way around those facts.
Robert Orlando is a right wing nut job. He thinks Patton was assassinated, silenced by his enemies.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:50 PM   #217
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Shifting the goalposts. The criteria was peaceful protesters.
Yep. I'm not the one who shifted them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:55 PM   #218
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump just said that Harris is a person who has told many lies.

ETA: The Idiot in Chief just mispronounced Kamala "Ka MAH la". He also used "Pocahontas" and "Sleepy Joe" in the same answer. What a putz.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 11th August 2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11th August 2020, 02:59 PM   #219
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Dammit. I was just ready to vote in the poll.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:02 PM   #220
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the pick of Kamala is telegraphing to Trump that Biden will not be pardoning Trump of all the crimes.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:04 PM   #221
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And the slamming of Harris by Trump begins.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:04 PM   #222
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It was the smart, sensible pick, but even there, Team Biden flubbed it. According to the WAPO, they were dismayed to find that every woman they looked at had flaws, and regretted making the promise that the VP would be a woman. That's pretty wince-worthy; maybe their binders weren't full of enough women?

Quote:
What a mess! With the deadline to select a vice president approaching, the members of Team Biden wish someone had told them before this all started that every high-profile woman …
ETA: Well, that's what I get for not clicking through to the clickbait. Apparently this was written as a humor column, and does not reflect the real thinking of Team Biden, but the "thinking" of the columnist. My bad.

Last edited by Brainster; 11th August 2020 at 03:39 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:08 PM   #223
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder if the pick of Kamala is telegraphing to Trump that Biden will not be pardoning Trump of all the crimes.
I don't think so. I think Trump will pardon himself. Or maybe resign before the inauguration and have Pence do it like Jerry Ford did as an end round to the questionable legality to pardoning himself.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:09 PM   #224
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It was the smart, sensible pick, but even there, Team Biden flubbed it. According to the WAPO, they were dismayed to find that every woman they looked at had flaws, and regretted making the promise that the VP would be a woman. That's pretty wince-worthy; maybe their binders weren't full of enough women?
Nonsense. Every single person has flaws. Harris is a good choice.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:13 PM   #225
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Kamala Harris is a no-nonsense woman with an excellent grasp of politics and the law, and an outstanding speaker. It Trump dares to get on the stage with her, she'll wipe the floor with him!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th August 2020 at 03:18 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:15 PM   #226
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Kamala Harris is a no-nonsense woman with an excellent grasp of political and that, and an outstanding speaker. It Trump dares to get on the stage with her, she'll wipe the floor with him!
He won't, it'll be Pence has to do that. If there are debates at all.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:16 PM   #227
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Yay, he chose Harris.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:19 PM   #228
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He won't, it'll be Pence has to do that. If there are debates at all.

Mike "Statue" Pence... I almost feel sorry for him
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:20 PM   #229
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Kamala Harris.

Well, we'll see. I'm not impressed by her, but she held her own in the debates as a candidate.

I do worry that it will be seen as a "gimmick" pick, going for a black woman, but my guess is that anyone whose vote will be influenced by that probably wouldn't vote for Biden anyway.

ETA: She has won a very big, very prominent, election, for Senator from California. That's a huge plus.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 11th August 2020 at 03:22 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:25 PM   #230
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I bet Willie Brown and The Nation are all ate up over this pick.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:26 PM   #231
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Kamala Harris.

Well, we'll see. I'm not impressed by her, but she held her own in the debates as a candidate.

I do worry that it will be seen as a "gimmick" pick, going for a black woman, but my guess is that anyone whose vote will be influenced by that probably wouldn't vote for Biden anyway.
Nah. She's a pit bull terrier. She's, smart, she's articulate and most important a fighter. She's a hard one for Republicans to go after. She was a no nonsense prosecuting attorney who can hardly be portrayed as soft on crime or as some kind of token.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th August 2020 at 03:29 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:28 PM   #232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You keep saying The Nation as opposed to the author of an op-ed. One is not the other no matter how many times you make that reference.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:31 PM   #233
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Kamala Harris.
ETA: She has won a very big, very prominent, election, for Senator from California. That's a huge plus.
Also elected and re-elected as California Attorney General, another high-profile, high responsibility position.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:31 PM   #234
Distracted1
Philosopher

Nah. She's a pit bull terrier. She's, smart, she's articulate and most important a fighter. She's a hard one for Republicans to go after. She was a no nonsense prosecuting attorney who can hardly be portrayed as soft on crime or as some kind of token.
Careful there, next you will be calling her "clean cut" for the racism trifecta.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:32 PM   #235
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Yeah imagine that, every human having flaws!

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:33 PM   #236
Belz...
Fiend God

Huh. And here I was, thinking you had conceded that.

Old 11th August 2020, 03:35 PM   #237
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense. Every single person has flaws. Harris is a good choice.
I said she was the safe, smart choice. But think about how tone-deaf it is for Team Biden to be letting out how dismayed they were the flaws they found. They're implying that there would have been men who would have sailed through without any problems.

It does reflect how far we've come that a half-Black, half-Indian woman is the safe and sensible pick.

ETA: My bad, I saw the headline and opening sentences of the WAPO piece and thought it was reporting. Actually it's a lame attempt at humor.

Last edited by Brainster; 11th August 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:47 PM   #238
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You keep saying The Nation as opposed to the author of an op-ed. One is not the other no matter how many times you make that reference.
I know. At this point I'm just doing it for fun. Thanks for noticing!

ETA: I put in a bonus joke a little earlier, but it's a bit more subtle. See if you can find it!
Old 11th August 2020, 03:48 PM   #239
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Huh. And here I was, thinking you had conceded that.
Nope! You're thinking of Elon Musk's achievements.
Old 11th August 2020, 03:59 PM   #240
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the Breaking News of the day is that Biden chose Kamala Harris as his running mate.

The news of the next four days (and nothing else) is going to be that Biden chose Kamala Harris as his running mate. And every possible permutation that entails.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics