IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th August 2020, 08:30 PM   #281
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I guess it depends on how clearly swing voters are thinking, on the Dem side. They didn't like her for the nomination itself. If the logic here is that she'll be the president anyway, they might as well stay home. On the other hand, if the logic is that Biden is too old to be president, and they nominated him anyway, then they're clearly not thinking clearly anyway, are they?
I think you're missing the part where many people don't want Trump and are OK with either Biden or Harris becoming president.

ETA: Not sure what you mean by "swing voters ... on the Dem side." I don't think such people exist. If you're on the Dem side, you are not a swing voter.

Last edited by Minoosh; 11th August 2020 at 08:37 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 08:36 PM   #282
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Mixed race heritage seems to make a lot of heads explode.
I remember being vaguely disconcerted by mixed-race people. I got over it a long time ago. A kid I taught once told me he was Korean-African American and I was happy to realize that I had never wondered what his heritage was. He was just himself.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 08:48 PM   #283
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Mixed race heritage seems to make a lot of heads explode.
The ambiguity seems to scare them.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 08:50 PM   #284
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

And yet, that is about American as one can get. Wonder what they would say about me? I'm Irish, English, Norwegian and Swedish. I guess they don't know you can be more than one thing.
I need to see your birth certificate sir.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:41 PM   #285
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Both of Sen. Harris' parents were immigrants. How long will it be before somebody demands to see her birth certificate, and rejects whatever is produced?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:47 PM   #286
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'm baffled that so many are confused on how she can be African-American and from Jamaica. I mean where do they think that the black population of Jamaica came from? But they also seem stumped that someone can be from two places at once so these aren't exactly galaxy brains here.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:56 PM   #287
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A crisis when someone doesn’t fit neatly into an identity box.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:18 PM   #288
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm baffled that so many are confused on how she can be African-American and from Jamaica. I mean where do they think that the black population of Jamaica came from? But they also seem stumped that someone can be from two places at once so these aren't exactly galaxy brains here.

Let's just note that Harris is from Oakland, California. That's where she's from. Many of us can trace our ancestors to multiple homelands.

Last edited by Bob001; 11th August 2020 at 10:20 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:22 PM   #289
Venom
Illuminator

Also I don't understand how her "not really" being African American is relevant.

Is she claiming her ancestors were American slaves struggling in the colonies or endured Jim Crow? Obama didn't pretend to be that either. And they pretty much grew up in the culture so to speak, to an extent.

I think it's more projection from the Birthers and Birther-curious.
Old 11th August 2020, 10:25 PM   #290
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Also I don't understand how her "not really" being African American is relevant.

Is she claiming her ancestors were American slaves struggling in the colonies or endured Jim Crow? Obama didn't pretend to be that either. And they pretty much grew up in the culture so to speak, to an extent.
Harris more so than Barack Obama, if anything - an AKA from Howard University? Yeah, she's in, as the rest of the AKAs will tell you at great length, whether you asked them or not.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:17 PM   #291
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'm baffled that so many are confused on how she can be African-American and from Jamaica. I mean where do they think that the black population of Jamaica came from?
Remember, a lot of Americans are totally ignorant when it comes to places, and things that happen outside their own country*. This is likely to include the fact that the West Indies had slavery just like America, so there is a high probability that Harris is descends from slaves.

*Note: Present company excepted of course. If you were to judge Americans on how much they know about the world outside their borders by looking at ISF, you would not get an accurate picture - the general membership here is far more knowledgable than the general public.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:42 AM   #292
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Harris has been the apparent front runner in the Veepstakes for months.
You would expect that Trump would have his answers ready if she actually gets the prize.

So, "Full @realDonaldTrump answer to @seanhannity's question about @KamalaHarris' previous comments about @JoeBiden and race:" (link)

EfLy__lXgAEu0NZ.jpg

But yeah, making the election about Biden's cognitive abilities is a winning GOP strategy.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:48 AM   #293
Firestone

As for the Veep pick, I'm happy Harris is on the ticket.
(Would have been even happier if she was the actual candidate, but ok.)
Old 12th August 2020, 12:58 AM   #294
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

The ambiguity seems to scare them.
Figuring out which derogatory term or racial epithet to use is hard!
Old 12th August 2020, 01:11 AM   #295
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Harris will debate Pence. She's gonna chew him up and spit him out. This should be fun.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 02:21 AM   #296
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Anyone who nominated Biden on the assumption that he would die in office, and they were actually nominating his VP sight unseen, is an idiot. In my opinion.
Thanks for sharing this completely irrelevant response.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:24 AM   #297
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Harris will debate Pence. She's gonna chew him up and spit him out. This should be fun.
Harris was not the best choice, but as long as she uses the debate to rip Pence's balls off and stomp on them in front of Mother I'll be satisfied.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:35 AM   #298
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Will win some of the Republican vote.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:35 AM   #299
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Harris was not the best choice, but as long as she uses the debate to rip Pence's balls off and stomp on them in front of Mother I'll be satisfied.
Who would've been the best choice? Warren perhaps?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:37 AM   #300
rockysmith76
Banned

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mollie...th-harris-pick
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:41 AM   #301
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Good, maybe they'll vote for Biden.

Old 12th August 2020, 04:53 AM   #302
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Good, maybe they'll vote for Biden.
Get out there and do what needs to be done if you want him to win, don't get complacent like Dems did with Hillary.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 05:02 AM   #303
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

There isn't a layover option.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 05:05 AM   #304
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's more projection from the Birthers and Birther-curious.
It is a little strange that the party for descendents of US slavery can't be bothered to nominate someone from that group.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 05:07 AM   #305
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

A woman VP might be strategically useful as I imagine Trump and his base won't be able to resist lobbing extremely misogynistic attacks on Harris.

I don't know if there's any truth to the voting importance of suburban (read: white) women, but having Trump's sexism rubbed in their faces might tip a few over the fence.
Old 12th August 2020, 05:17 AM   #306
Garrison
Philosopher

I'm curious, if they have VP debates will Pence insist on having a chaperone?
Old 12th August 2020, 05:19 AM   #307
Belz...
Fiend God

Get out there and do what needs to be done if you want him to win, don't get complacent like Dems did with Hillary.
I'm not an American.

And unlike your pal Putin, I don't plan on interfering with foreign elections.

Old 12th August 2020, 05:24 AM   #308
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Also elected and re-elected as California Attorney General, another high-profile, high responsibility position.
Yeah but that's what also made the "LOokit me being more progressive than you, do love me now twitter" subgroup put her on an iceflow because when she was a prosecutor she made the unforgivable sin of prosecuting people.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 05:28 AM   #309
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah but that's what also made the "LOokit me being more progressive than you, do love me now twitter" subgroup put her on an iceflow because when she was a prosecutor she made the unforgivable sin of prosecuting people.
She wasn't required to. It was her discretion.
Old 12th August 2020, 05:30 AM   #310
Belz...
Fiend God

Some on the right are already claiming that she slept her way into her career. Of course women can never achieve on their own.

Old 12th August 2020, 05:33 AM   #311
Firestone

They may be a timeline where that's true, but on ours the Trump campaign surely would have preferred:
- Karen Bass, "Castro stan" and "stalinist";
- Elizabeth Warren, "communist";
- Susan Rice, of happy Benghazi memories.

Trump reverts to stereotypes as campaign fumbles to respond to Harris pick

Last edited by Firestone; 12th August 2020 at 05:41 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 05:34 AM   #312
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Some on the right are already claiming that she slept her way into her career. Of course women can never achieve on their own.
I'm curious how this will work.

The vitriol directed towards Hillary was often quite sexist, but had decades of repetition to help normalize these attacks in the public.

Harris has only been on the national stage for a short time. I'm wondering if the sexism of such attacks will be grating to women who might be undecided, or if they won't care.
Old 12th August 2020, 05:36 AM   #313
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Donald "You slept your way to the top Kamala!"
Harris: "Well you had to get to the top before anyone would sleep with you, Donald."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:07 AM   #314
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Here is the contents of a tweet from the Trump campaign

These people are truly awful. Name calling. "Political living will". It's embarrassing.

I just hope it doesn't work.
They could have used the fact she is pro-slavery. Her attempts to keep people working for the prison system, by force, after they have served their time is disturbing enough. Oh, yeah, she didn't know what arguments her office was making, despite it having her signature on it. It wasn't a hot topic either, it was only an order from the supreme court to release prisoners, why would she even look at that?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:16 AM   #315
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm curious how this will work.

The vitriol directed towards Hillary was often quite sexist, but had decades of repetition to help normalize these attacks in the public.

Harris has only been on the national stage for a short time. I'm wondering if the sexism of such attacks will be grating to women who might be undecided, or if they won't care.
Doesn't that mean that old attacks would have been factored in for most people already with Hillary, where as with Kamala there are potentially far more people for whom these things may come as news?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:20 AM   #316
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Doesn't that mean that old attacks would have been factored in for most people already with Hillary, where as with Kamala there are potentially far more people for whom these things may come as news?
I would contend that the party never really dealt with the baggage that came with Hillary properly, and that probably contributed a significant bit to her loss.

I just don't know if there's enough time to gin up the same level of hate, or if Harris is a high-profile enough character in the general public for such smears to stick. A lot of people probably don't know who she is.
Old 12th August 2020, 06:23 AM   #317
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

She's a black(-ish) educated woman from California, with parents who were so foreign they weren't even born here, running on a Democratic ticket.

I don't think "Time in the public eye" is going to make a mote of difference in how much the Right is going to hate her.
Old 12th August 2020, 06:28 AM   #318
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think you're missing the part where many people don't want Trump and are OK with either Biden or Harris becoming president.

ETA: Not sure what you mean by "swing voters ... on the Dem side." I don't think such people exist. If you're on the Dem side, you are not a swing voter.
Good points.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:33 AM   #319
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I would contend that the party never really dealt with the baggage that came with Hillary properly, and that probably contributed a significant bit to her loss.

I just don't know if there's enough time to gin up the same level of hate, or if Harris is a high-profile enough character in the general public for such smears to stick. A lot of people probably don't know who she is.
We'll see. From my point of view, I think it's unrealistic to expect anybody to change their view of Trump based on anything he says on Kamala. Kamala still has the opportunity to make an impression, for good or for ill.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:33 AM   #320
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

She's a black(-ish) educated woman from California, with parents who were so foreign they weren't even born here, running on a Democratic ticket.

I don't think "Time in the public eye" is going to make a mote of difference in how much the Right is going to does hate her.
FTFY

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics