IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Kamala Harris , Karen Bass , political speculation , vice presidential choices

View Poll Results: Who will Biden choose as running mate?
Elizabeth Warren 3 6.25%
Gretchen Whitmer 0 0%
Kamala Harris 23 47.92%
Karen Bass 3 6.25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2 4.17%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1 2.08%
Stacey Abrams 0 0%
Susan Rice 5 10.42%
Tammy Duckworth 5 10.42%
Val Demings 1 2.08%
Another US Senator 0 0%
Another Governor 0 0%
Someone else 1 2.08%
On Planet X, Mike Pence will be VEEP Forever 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th August 2020, 06:34 AM   #321
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
She's a black(-ish) educated woman from California, with parents who were so foreign they weren't even born here, running on a Democratic ticket.

I don't think "Time in the public eye" is going to make a mote of difference in how much the Right is going to hate her.
Which is funny about disliking California....more Californians voted for Trump than Georgians and North Carolinians combined.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:37 AM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
We'll see. From my point of view, I think it's unrealistic to expect anybody to change their view of Trump based on anything he says on Kamala. Kamala still has the opportunity to make an impression, for good or for ill.
She needs to adopt the same approach as Biden, let Trump continue on stabbing himself.

I may have said it a few times before but no one can hurt Trump more than Trump can.
Old 12th August 2020, 06:40 AM   #323
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

As someone with some difficulty hearing, I think the next few months are going to be hard to distinguish between "ka-ma-la har-ris" and "co-ro-na vi-rus".
Old 12th August 2020, 06:42 AM   #324
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
As someone with some difficulty hearing, I think the next few months are going to be hard to distinguish between "ka-ma-la-har-ris" and "co-ro-na-vi-rus".
Ka-ro-la-vi-ris.

Co-ma-na-har-rus.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 06:58 AM   #325
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
They could have used the fact she is pro-slavery. Her attempts to keep people working for the prison system, by force, after they have served their time is disturbing enough. Oh, yeah, she didn't know what arguments her office was making, despite it having her signature on it. It wasn't a hot topic either, it was only an order from the supreme court to release prisoners, why would she even look at that?
Debunked, as of quite a while ago.

She's a black(-ish) educated woman from California, with parents who were so foreign they weren't even born here, running on a Democratic ticket.

I don't think "Time in the public eye" is going to make a mote of difference in how much the Right is going to hate her.
Well, of course not, the fact that she's a black woman with intelligence and ambition is quite enough, before we get to the (non-white) immigrant parents. But they're very clearly worried as all hell.

Latest attack seems to be trying to drive a wedge between her and black voters by pointing out that one of her long-dead ancestors owned slaves.

At this point, I think it's worth remembering that the overwhelming majority of black voters find the modern GOP to be absolutely repulsive, and that it's due to the things they say and do. They aren't good at this. Worry about white voters.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:00 AM   #326
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Latest attack seems to be trying to drive a wedge between her and black voters by pointing out that one of her long-dead ancestors owned slaves.
I wonder how many of the GOP's more hardline members have ancestors who owned slaves.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:08 AM   #327
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Who would've been the best choice? Warren perhaps?
Nah, too old. She was my presidential choice. For VP you need someone capable of picking up the torch in eight years and carrying it for another eight if political winds blow that way. Warren's got that feisty grandma thing going, so she needs a cabinet role as head of the Treasury or something where she can pursue her policies now.

I would have preferred Duckworth. She's even more of a centrist on policy, but would have locked in the military vote and given Trump endless hell about his bone spurs.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:12 AM   #328
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Let's just note that Harris is from Oakland, California. That's where she's from. Many of us can trace our ancestors to multiple homelands.
She may have been born in Oakland and later moved there, but she spent her first twelve years in Berkeley.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:29 AM   #329
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

They could have used the fact she is pro-slavery. Her attempts to keep people working for the prison system, by force, after they have served their time is disturbing enough. Oh, yeah, she didn't know what arguments her office was making, despite it having her signature on it. It wasn't a hot topic either, it was only an order from the supreme court to release prisoners, why would she even look at that?
i call shenanigans for using that word to foist your ignorant, hyperbolic opinion.
Old 12th August 2020, 07:33 AM   #330
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
She may have been born in Oakland and later moved there, but she spent her first twelve years in Berkeley.
Is living in Berkeley (where I was born) as a little kid something you think important?

Damn, I may have cooties I didn't even know I had.
Old 12th August 2020, 07:38 AM   #331
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Is living in Berkeley (where I was born) as a little kid something you think important?

Damn, I may have cooties I didn't even know I had.
Everyone who lives in Berkeley is an adjunct professor spreading marxism, even the toddlers.
Old 12th August 2020, 07:42 AM   #332
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
That's really not a debunking of the facts. In 2014, not 2011 or 2012 as this debunking maintains, with her signature on the document, she argued against the release of prisoners who have completed the terms of their incarceration. This fact is never addressed.

I'm sure none of those were parents whose kids skipped school. She was in favor of the law in California to imprison parents whose kids skipped school.

She was the worst kind of law enforcement person. One who assumed guilt and enforced punishment beyond the scope of the law.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:44 AM   #333
Leftus
Master Poster

i call shenanigans for using that word to foist your ignorant, hyperbolic opinion.
Did she or did she not fight to keep people working for the state after their terms of incarceration were up?

She did. She feigns ignorance over the issue now, but she did fight to keep people in prison after their term was up because she needed the labor.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 08:05 AM   #334
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think 'attempts to keep people working for the prison system, by force, after they have served their time' qualifies as 'pro-slavery'.

Either you don't think she did that, or you don't think that's slavery. Which is it?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 08:11 AM   #335
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Did she or did she not fight to keep people working for the state after their terms of incarceration were up?

She did. She feigns ignorance over the issue now, but she did fight to keep people in prison after their term was up because she needed the labor.
Provide evidence please.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think 'attempts to keep people working for the prison system, by force, after they have served their time' qualifies as 'pro-slavery'.

Either you don't think she did that, or you don't think that's slavery. Which is it?
First things first. Evidence please.
Old 12th August 2020, 08:11 AM   #336
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

As pointed out, they already hate her. That happened as soon as they affixed a "D" after her name.

But admittedly, they will have a special kind of hate for a smart ambitious articulate woman of color that they don't for the White guy who will be her boss.
Old 12th August 2020, 08:16 AM   #337
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
It was always to be expected that the pro-Trump anit-America crowd at Fox would pull this ********. The the rats who know their ship is sinking at the Whitehouse were quick to leak that Harris was the one they were worried about. The true believing Trumptrash leaked something else but it's what their kind would say.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 08:31 AM   #338
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm curious, what happens if Biden gives up the ghost before election day? Do people just keep voting the same Biden/Harris ticket, and VP Harris gets the bump on inauguration day? Or does she become the candidate and select a VP to run with her?
Before the election the party selects a replacement. After it's down to the electors.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 08:44 AM   #339
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Provide evidence please.

First things first. Evidence please.
Fair enough.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 08:55 AM   #340
shuttlt
Philosopher

That's really not a debunking of the facts. In 2014, not 2011 or 2012 as this debunking maintains, with her signature on the document, she argued against the release of prisoners who have completed the terms of their incarceration. This fact is never addressed.

I'm sure none of those were parents whose kids skipped school. She was in favor of the law in California to imprison parents whose kids skipped school.

She was the worst kind of law enforcement person. One who assumed guilt and enforced punishment beyond the scope of the law.
So, Javert is the VP pick?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:02 AM   #341
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She's nasty. Oh, so nasty. Trump's go-to for every woman who opposes him.
Old 12th August 2020, 09:15 AM   #342
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Errol Webber standing for Congress in California tweeted

Errol Webber For Congress (CA-37)
@ErrolWebber
US House candidate, CA-37

As a Jamaican immigrant to America, I will make it my mission to personally expose Kamala Harris for everything she is.
The woman has lied and cheated her way to the top of the political spectrum and she must be stopped.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:16 AM   #343
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

@ErrolWebber

As a Jamaican immigrant to America, I will make it my mission to personally expose Kamala Harris for everything she is.
The woman has lied and cheated her way to the top of the political spectrum and she must be stopped.
There we go. I guess it's only a stone's throw from there to "slept her way to the top".

And what does him being Jamaican have to do with anything?

Old 12th August 2020, 09:20 AM   #344
rockysmith76
Banned

@ErrolWebber

And then you give Merica 4 more Trump years, and once again the Dems fall to fighting among their own and can't see the bigger picture. Lol.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:21 AM   #345
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

And then you give Merica 4 more Trump years, and once again the Dems fall to fighting among their own and can't see the bigger picture. Lol.
Webber is a Republican.
Old 12th August 2020, 09:25 AM   #346
Belz...
Fiend God

Meanwhile the GOP has been in power for almost 4 years now and has a single piece of legislation giving tax cuts for the rich to show for it.

Old 12th August 2020, 09:27 AM   #347
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Webber is a Republican.
I was responding to Swoop, not Weber, don't twist my post thank you
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:28 AM   #348
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I was responding to Swoop, not Weber, don't twist my post thank you
How di I manage to do that?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:28 AM   #349
rockysmith76
Banned

Meanwhile the GOP has been in power for almost 4 years now and has a single piece of legislation giving tax cuts for the rich to show for it.
which has nothing to do with the rage felt against Kamala by those in this thread. She must be destroyed so the Dems can pull a Red Soxs choke yet again....

lol.
Old 12th August 2020, 09:29 AM   #350
Belz...
Fiend God

How di I manage to do that?
What, give Trump 4 more years and divide the democratic party? Beats me. Rocky's on a roll right now.

Old 12th August 2020, 09:29 AM   #351
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

And, that would be Captain Swoop!
Old 12th August 2020, 09:30 AM   #352
Belz...
Fiend God

which has nothing to do with the rage felt against Kamala by those in this thread.
No, it has everything to do with the post I was respoding to. Stay focused.

Old 12th August 2020, 09:33 AM   #353
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dinesh D'Souza has gone in to overdrive
Here are a few of the screeds of tweets on the issue he has posted today.

Many leftists are desperately waiting for @KevinMKruse to refute my contention Kamala Harris is descended from one of Jamaica’s largest slaveowners. But he’s silent because he knows it’s true. No squid-like cloud of obfuscation, not even from Kruse, can alter the crushing fact

The “first black woman” hoopla is based on the idea that finally a female descendant of slaves can make it all the way to the White House. The problem is that Kamala Harris is descended from one of Jamaica’s largest slaveowners. This exposes the whole morality tale as a farce!

The supreme irony is that the party of slavery that demands public dissociation from all connections with slavery has nominated for the vice presidency a woman who is the descendant & beneficiary of one of the largest slave planters in Jamaica. How do they get out of this one?
Old 12th August 2020, 09:34 AM   #354
Belz...
Fiend God

The “first black woman” hoopla is based on the idea that finally a female descendant of slaves can make it all the way to the White House. The problem is that Kamala Harris is descended from one of Jamaica’s largest slaveowners. This exposes the whole morality tale as a farce!
No, it's based on the idea that black people have traditionally struggled for equality in the US regardless of their ancestors' origins or status.

Old 12th August 2020, 09:37 AM   #355
shuttlt
Philosopher

That's the sad part of this. Have any of the internal divisions within the Democrats been resolved in the past 4 years? Will they be given another 4 years? At least if a progressive candidate had been put forward there would be the possibility of the "socialists are unelectable" question being put to bed for a bit.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:43 AM   #356
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

@ErrolWebber

We must go to William Sonoma and procure their finest finishing salts. Only salt of that quality will be suitable to grind in this traitor's wounds on inauguration day.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:47 AM   #357
shuttlt
Philosopher

No, it's based on the idea that black people have traditionally struggled for equality in the US regardless of their ancestors' origins or status.
There are different audiences here. One audience will certainly see this in the collectivist identitarian way you describe, others will see the story in the individualist terms Captain_Swoop is describing. I guess the key question is which audience has more undecided people available to be won over.
Old 12th August 2020, 09:49 AM   #358
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
There are different audiences here. One audience will certainly see this in the collectivist identitarian way you describe, others will see the story in the individualist terms Captain_Swoop is describing. I guess the key question is which audience has more undecided people available to be won over.
Isn't the quote from Swoop describing a collectivist view as well?

Old 12th August 2020, 09:54 AM   #359
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I was responding to someone who implied she was from Jamaica. Her father was, not her. Considering how long "birtherism" raged against Obama, it's best to correct such confusions wherever they appear.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:57 AM   #360
shuttlt
Philosopher

Isn't the quote from Swoop describing a collectivist view as well?
I wouldn't have said so. I think Captain_Swoop was saying that Kamala personally is descended from a rich slave owning family and that this makes it a little awkward for her if she wants to present herself as some kind of avatar for black people struggling with the legacy of slavery.

Last edited by shuttlt; 12th August 2020 at 09:58 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics