IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , Florida politics , police incidents , police misconduct charges , Rebekah Jones , Ron DeSantis , whistleblower incidents

Old 7th December 2020, 03:34 PM   #1
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Rebekah Jones house raid for "security breach"

See http://www.tampadispatch.com/rebekah...ding-her-home/

Quote:
Rebekah Jones, the former Florida Department of Health data scientist, who was fired from her job in May and has since started her own COVID-19 dashboard, tweeted today a video showing a raid by police officers with her husband and children apparently upstairs (see below).
[...]
Fired from her job because she resisted pressure from Governor DeSantis to alter Covid-19 data.

Twitter thread with video at https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1336065787900145665.

Quote:
1/
There will be no update today.

At 8:30 am this morning, state police came into my house and took all my hardware and tech.

They were serving a warrant on my computer after DOH filed a complaint.

They pointed a gun in my face. They pointed guns at my kids..
2/

They took my phone and the computer I use every day to post the case numbers in Florida, and school cases for the entire country.

They took evidence of corruption at the state level.

They claimed it was about a security breach.

This was DeSantis.

He sent the gestapo.
This is what happens to scientists who do their job honestly.

This is what happens to people who speak truth to power.

I tell them my husband and my two children are upstairs... and THEN one of them draws his gun.

On my children.

This is Desantis' Florida.

If Desantis thought pointing a gun in my face was a good way to get me to shut up, he's about to learn just how wrong he was.

I'll have a new computer tomorrow.

And then I'm going to get back to work.

If you want to help, my website is still at

Home
Florida COVID Action Get data. Get tested. Get help. NEW: Click here to see The COVID Monitor's K-12 National Data Reporting Center New Dashboard Classic Dashboard Support our eff…
http://floridacovidaction.com
We don't know the whole story but unless Rebekah Jones was secretly leading an antifa, Deep State terror cell, this is not a good look.

Last edited by cosmicaug; 7th December 2020 at 03:56 PM.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
See http://www.tampadispatch.com/rebekah...ding-her-home/

Fired from her job because she resisted pressure from Governor DeSantis to alter Covid-19 data.

Twitter thread with video at https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1336065787900145665.

We don't know the whole story but unless Rebekah Jones was secretly leading an antifa, Deep State terror cell, this is not a good look.
WTAF!?

There'd better be a backstory to this, otherwise it's pure ******* harassment. DeSantis is pond scum, so . . .

Last edited by Resume; 7th December 2020 at 03:40 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 03:41 PM   #3
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Governor Dethsentence is dangerous and vindictive. I hope he ends up in prison. He should already be there.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

At a minimum I hope she gets a couple million from her lawsuit against the State.

Since it doesn't sound like she was served with a cease and desist order then she should get another computer and phone, start a GoFundMe for legal expenses and get as much media attention as she can.

Sounds like she's doing just that.

I wonder what the nature of the information she had on Desantis is?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th December 2020 at 03:53 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 03:57 PM   #5
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
At a minimum I hope she gets a couple million from her lawsuit against the State.

Since it doesn't sound like she was served with a cease and desist order then she should get another computer and phone, start a GoFundMe for legal expenses and get as much media attention as she can.

Sounds like she's doing just that.

I wonder what the nature of the information she had on Desantis is?
Updated quoted Twitter thread.
Old 7th December 2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This may be the claim:

Miami Herald: Did COVID data whistleblower hack Florida’s emergency alert system? Police raid home
Quote:
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement said in a statement late Monday that they issued the search warrant after suspecting Jones of being responsible for a computer hack into the DOH web site and the sending of an unauthorized message to members of the State Emergency Response Team responsible for coordinating public health and medical response.
And earlier: TampaBay: Florida’s emergency communications channel hacked, according to state official
Quote:
The Florida Department of Health says someone hacked into a system used to send emergency communications earlier this month and sent an unauthorized message to members of the State Emergency Response Team responsible for coordinating public health and medical response.

The Nov. 10 message, obtained by the Tampa Bay Times, urged recipients to “speak up before another 17,000 people are dead. You know this is wrong. You don’t have to be a part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it’s too late.”

As of the date of the message, Florida had reported 17,460 coronavirus-related deaths among Florida residents and non-residents.

“The fact that someone would use an emergency alert system for their own purpose, whatever it is, is both irresponsible and unlawful,” said Jason Mahon, spokesman the Florida Department of Health and the Florida Division of Emergency Management.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 04:59 PM   #7
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Responding to note that, although behind a paywall, the first article may be accessible if using incognito mode.
Old 7th December 2020, 05:16 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

De Santis is evil.
De Santis is an idiot.
A dangerous combination.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 05:20 PM   #9
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

As for the earlier story, it's not entirely clear what the breach was about but it sure seems like someone sent a message to a distribution list address. Presumably, this would have happened on an internal network and the hack* would have involved accessing it in the first place?

*Would this have been a network that Jones might have had access to as part of her job? Did someone forget to revoke credentials?
Old 7th December 2020, 05:26 PM   #10
rockinkt
Master Poster

"Ms. Jones refused to come to the door for 20 minutes and hung-up on agents. After several attempts and verbal notifications that law enforcement officers were there to serve a legal search warrant, Ms. Jones eventually came to the door and allowed agents to enter," Plessinger said. "Ms. Jones' family was upstairs when agents made entry into the home."

Sounds like she is quite the diva and wanted to make a big scene in an attempt to paint herself as a victim.

IMHO - If you are going to do something in protest that is illegal and has the potential to cause major problems - at least have the integrity to not whine and put on a show of faux outrage when your chickens come home to roost.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 05:34 PM   #11
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

This explain more:
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2020/12/07/agents-raid-home-fired-florida-data-scientist-who-built-covid-19-dashboard-rebekah-jones/6482817002/

Quote:
The DOH said recently that someone hacked the emergency communications channel. Jones told a reporter that she is not a hacker: "I don't know how to do that stuff."

The FDLE affidavit for the search warrant said a special agent spoke to a DOH official with the Preparedness and Response office about a suspected breach of the custom-made communications system for emergency management.

An unidentified subject gained access to the system and sent out a group text saying: "It's time to speak up before another 17,000 people are dead. You know this is wrong. You don't have to be a part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it's too late."

The text message was sent from the ESF-8 mail account to 1,750 recipients before the software vendor could stop the message from being transmitted further, the affidavit said.

The ESF-8 account is the state's emergency support function for public health and medical services and is used by many people from several agencies, including DOH and Emergency Management.

"Once they are no longer associated with ESF-8 they are no longer authorized to access the multi-user group," the FDLE affidavit said. All authorized users use the same user name and password.
In this case, "hacking" seems to mean using the username everyone (in that set of authorized employees) knows together with the password that everyone also knows (maybe from within a private network?).

Unmentioned how it is linked to her. IP address matching?
Old 7th December 2020, 05:34 PM   #12
dirtywick
Illuminator

Yeah maybe she did want to make a scene. They made it easy for her to do it. Unless someone hanging up on you is a good reason to pull a firearm. It is Florida though.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 05:36 PM   #13
dirtywick
Illuminator

This explain more:
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2020/12/07/agents-raid-home-fired-florida-data-scientist-who-built-covid-19-dashboard-rebekah-jones/6482817002/

In this case, "hacking" seems to mean using the username everyone (in that set of authorized employees) knows together with the password that everyone also knows (maybe from within a private network?).

Unmentioned how it is linked to her. IP address matching?
Their network security is “please don’t log in anymore” lol
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 05:55 PM   #14
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
"Ms. Jones refused to come to the door for 20 minutes and hung-up on agents. After several attempts and verbal notifications that law enforcement officers were there to serve a legal search warrant, Ms. Jones eventually came to the door and allowed agents to enter," Plessinger said. "Ms. Jones' family was upstairs when agents made entry into the home."

Sounds like she is quite the diva and wanted to make a big scene in an attempt to paint herself as a victim.

IMHO - If you are going to do something in protest that is illegal and has the potential to cause major problems - at least have the integrity to not whine and put on a show of faux outrage when your chickens come home to roost.
Anyone who pulls a gun in my home while my child is there will die by my hands.

These aren’t cops or governors, they are Fascist trash that needs to be taken out.

Republicans at the state and federal level are scum. Not a single human among them.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 06:02 PM   #15
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Their network security is “please don’t log in anymore” lol
Another Rebecca with leet skillz...that takes me back.
Old 7th December 2020, 06:18 PM   #16
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if they've changed the user name and password yet.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 06:22 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Responding to note that, although behind a paywall, the first article may be accessible if using incognito mode.

I didn't have any trouble.

Maybe you've used up your monthly allotment.
Old 7th December 2020, 06:36 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if they've changed the user name and password yet.
And you would think said passwords get changed routinely, like every three months.

The woman is obviously passionate.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th December 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 7th December 2020, 06:38 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Another Rebecca with leet skillz...that takes me back.
Like she logged in and and found out she wasn't locked out of her work account. Woohoo!

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th December 2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 7th December 2020, 07:01 PM   #20
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Like she logged in and and found out she wasn't locked out of her work account. Woohoo!
I suppose using an emergency network for a non-emergency is some sort of a crime, but we don't know yet it was her, right? And it's kind of on them, anyway, to have some security and to not use the same UN/PW for *everybody*.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 07:04 PM   #21
dirtywick
Illuminator

Well accusing her of hacking when hacking is defined as using an account that you were given access to just to send a single mass email asking people to change their minds about something and your only security effort to keep people out is do nothing is absolutely ridiculous

Last edited by dirtywick; 7th December 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 7th December 2020, 07:05 PM   #22
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

[i]
It's not proven that she actually did anything illegal. Recall that she was fired for accurately reporting Florida's high covid counts, in contravention of the governor's lies.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/us/fl...ard/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 07:53 PM   #23
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Way down the Miami Herald story, there's this:
Quote:
The fact that the state is now in possession of her laptops and cell phone will expose her sources, Jones said.

“The most damning stuff that they are going to get from that equipment is the information about all of the employees from the state who have talked to me over the last six months,” Jones said. “And, the fact that I promised them I would never tell anybody who they were, or where they worked and I have failed to protect them, really f-----g pissed me off.”
So the state is really going after anybody who gave her information.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 08:00 PM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

... so the virus? Reality?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 08:09 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I suppose using an emergency network for a non-emergency is some sort of a crime, but we don't know yet it was her, right? And it's kind of on them, anyway, to have some security and to not use the same UN/PW for *everybody*.
Ridiculous over reaction, IMO.
Old 7th December 2020, 08:11 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Way down the Miami Herald story, there's this:

And another piece fits into the puzzle.
Old 7th December 2020, 08:38 PM   #27
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Or, she wanted to get her family upstairs, out of the way, and safe before letting a bunch of "shoot first & ask questions later" cops came into her house.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 7th December 2020 at 08:40 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 08:58 PM   #28
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The story says that someone "sent out a group text". What does that mean? Does that mean an unauthorized emergency message using the state's system, or does that mean a message to employees on a private line where they didn't change the password as people departed? It sounds more like the latter.

In which case, this is pretty disgusting.
Old 7th December 2020, 09:44 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The story says that someone "sent out a group text". What does that mean? Does that mean an unauthorized emergency message using the state's system, or does that mean a message to employees on a private line where they didn't change the password as people departed? It sounds more like the latter.

Which part(s)? I can't tell which side you are on though I can guess.
Old 7th December 2020, 09:46 PM   #30
dirtywick
Illuminator

even if it is an emergency system for the state, change her password, get everyone unique log ins, and then manage the access to the system if it's even slightly important that people not have access to it. this is embarassing and makes them look insane to treat it as something that serious when they do so little to try and protect the access to it. she didn't even really hurt anything either.
Old 7th December 2020, 10:00 PM   #31
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Which part(s)? I can't tell which side you are on though I can guess.
If it's just an employee messaging room, then the idea of seizing property and treating a message in that room as a crime is pretty disgusting.

And regardless of what it is, if it's important enough to serve a search warrant for unauthorized use, it's darned near criminal that they have a common password that they don't even change regularly.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:45 PM   #32
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post

These aren’t cops or governors, they are Fascist trash that needs to be taken out.

Republicans at the state and federal level are scum. Not a single human among them.
Good job, that's exactly the generalising and dehumanization that the US needs right now. Can only lead to good things down the road.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 12:30 AM   #33
rockinkt
Master Poster

Keyboard warriors have to be gangster!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 01:57 AM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Great! A shoot out with the cops where people get killed! And your kid gets to be an orphan or daddy goes to prison for a long, long time. Smart!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:56 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That sounds like an email group, so not sure how it is a hack?
Old 8th December 2020, 04:29 AM   #36
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That sounds like an email group, so not sure how it is a hack?
It's a social hack where she fooled them into giving her the password by working there for a couple of years.
Old 8th December 2020, 05:55 AM   #37
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

I don't need to lock my doors for it to be a crime to enter my house without permission.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 06:20 AM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't clear if she is a whistleblower.

She does not appear to allege they broke the law. She has a policy disagreement.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 06:22 AM   #39
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I didn't have any trouble.

Maybe you've used up your monthly allotment.
I don't know. I'm confused too. I cleared my site cookies & it still was asking for a subscription,
Old 8th December 2020, 06:29 AM   #40
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

The aone article shared by Skeptic Ginger mentions a mass firing shortly after she was fired so if some/all of those people had access to the same system I imagine it doesn't have to be Jones who "breached".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics