IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th January 2021, 07:03 AM   #241
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
That's the part that weirded me out. I've seen what the windows look like on the US embassy here in Ottawa, and there's no way you'd bash them out with a 2x4. Even an actual battering ram might not do it.

How is it the Capitol has such flimsy windows?
Embassies have standards of how hardened they need to be congress apparently does not and those in congress never passed anything to increase physical security. Likely in no small part because they did not want to be inconvenienced by the construction.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:26 AM   #242
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Or simply inconvenienced, number of times I’ve seen security circumvented for RIPs.
Old 7th January 2021, 07:28 AM   #243
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Let's be clear. They stormed the Capitol Building so easy because they police didn't put any real resistance.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:42 AM   #244
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Let's be clear. They stormed the Capitol Building so easy because they police didn't put any real resistance.
Why didn't the police stop the rioters?

Why didn't Miley Cyrus ever join her friends at a Hanna Montana concert?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:55 AM   #245
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Why didn't the police stop the rioters?

Why didn't Miley Cyrus ever join her friends at a Hanna Montana concert?

You know, I can understand some cops secretly being on the side of rioters here, but what I don't get is why they're okay with just looking bad at their job.

I mean, even if you secretly want the rioters to sit at Pelosi's desk, why not just take the day off, instead of making yourself and all your cops buddies look like incompetent losers by not pushing back hard enough?
Old 7th January 2021, 08:02 AM   #246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You know, I can understand some cops secretly being on the side of rioters here, but what I don't get is why they're okay with just looking bad at their job.

I mean, even if you secretly want the rioters to sit at Pelosi's desk, why not just take the day off, instead of making yourself and all your cops buddies look like incompetent losers by not pushing back hard enough?
The serious answer is that they are not amongst the brightest of the population.
Old 7th January 2021, 08:02 AM   #247
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You don't get time and a half for sitting at home.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:05 AM   #248
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
He also said " . . .So go home, we love you, you're very special, you've seen what happens . . . you see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil . . . I know how you feel . . . "
No. You misunderstand me.

I thought it was bizarre to say “Just when you think that Trump cannot go any farther.”

Who would ever think that Trump could not go any lower?
Old 7th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #249
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Meanwhile, Trump's Stepford Wife (aka Mike Pence) gets to enjoy his shining day in the sun as a beacon of strength and honour.

**wipes away tears of laughter**

You just can't make this stuff up folks!
Old 7th January 2021, 08:23 AM   #250
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

That's the part that weirded me out. I've seen what the windows look like on the US embassy here in Ottawa, and there's no way you'd bash them out with a 2x4. Even an actual battering ram might not do it.

How is it the Capitol has such flimsy windows?
I think the difference is...

In Washington, the government (be it local law enforcement, national guard, etc.) have significant authority. In the event of trouble, they can call in reinforcements, set up roadblocks, etc. The windows in the Capitol building itself may be flimsy, but if the police are competent there should never be a risk to the building itself, or its windows. (Or at least a very limited risk).

In an embassy, since it is in a foreign city, they have less control over their surroundings. They are stuck with whatever security they have in place, and if they run into trouble (such as a riot near the embassy) they may not be able to depend on the hosting country to help control the situation.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:38 AM   #251
Armitage72
Philosopher

Secretly? There was a video linked in one of the other threads showing police officers removing a barricade to let the rioters in.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:46 AM   #252
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Secretly? There was a video linked in one of the other threads showing police officers removing a barricade to let the rioters in.
It's the least they could do. They were there to protect and to serve, and they were all out of canapés.

Last edited by timhau; 7th January 2021 at 08:48 AM.
timhau is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:46 AM   #253
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yea it is hard to sell it is a retreat for safety when they opened up the crowd control gates. There might be little functional effect on that but it is hugely demonstrative of their mood.

As the police are on record saying "we've just got to let them do their thing"

https://www.thecut.com/2021/01/polic...e-capitol.html
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:02 AM   #254
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yea it is hard to sell it is a retreat for safety when they opened up the crowd control gates. There might be little functional effect on that but it is hugely demonstrative of their mood.

As the police are on record saying "we've just got to let them do their thing"

https://www.thecut.com/2021/01/polic...e-capitol.html
I've seen perimeter acknowledge their deployment is threatened. They give ground in a coordinated movement.

That was disorganized flight. The barricade pull was just totally out of place.

The melee on the steps (get the banner waver behind your lines down, nobody understands psychology?!) Looked marginally better in terms of making out individual tactical groups "weaving" back as the gave ground.

But that's where they should have been for the first barricade video. By the steps, tear gas, rubber bullets, flash-bangs.

I have endless hours of videos on hard drives of solid police strategy thwarting far more clever protests.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:02 AM   #255
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Zuckerberg bans Trump:
Quote:
BREAKING: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a post that the social media giant was banning President Trump indefinitely, a sign of escalated actions by tech giants in the face of growing social unrest at end of Trump’s term in office.

“We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great,” he wrote. "Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...p-twitter-ban/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:33 AM   #256
SteveAitch
Thinker

Not necessarily

Assuming it's the video you are referring to.
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:50 AM   #257
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post

Not necessarily

Assuming it's the video you are referring to.
It is certainly not the "holding hands and skipping down the trail together" some try to make it in to.

But it is one of the oddest "strategic redeployment to the rear area" I've seen.

Leave the barricade. Make them dismantle it while you open ground between.

Dismantle it for them and then run? With them right on your heels?

WTF?!

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 7th January 2021 at 09:52 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:52 AM   #258
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Huh, this slime can do right thing once a millenium. Now, what about Twitter?
Old 7th January 2021, 10:26 AM   #259
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

Dismantle it for them and then run? With them right on your heels?

WTF?!
I did not see the police dismantle the barricade.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:58 AM   #260
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Huh, this slime can do right thing once a millenium. Now, what about Twitter?

I think Ms Palmieri has it - from the WaPo link above

“It has not escaped my attention that the day social media companies decided there actually IS more they could do to police Trump’s destructive behavior was the same day that they learned Democrats would chair all the Congressional committees that oversee them,” tweeted Jennifer Palmieri, Hillary Clinton’s former communications director."
Old 7th January 2021, 11:02 AM   #261
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I did not see the police dismantle the barricade.
The fact that they calmly walked away with their back to an armed mob shows that they are also traitors
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:20 AM   #262
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter extended their suspension to two weeks.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:45 AM   #263
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #264
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Biden is ripping into Trump like I have not seen him do before.
If I were BIden, I wold say I do not want Trump at my inuragral.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:55 AM   #265
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Biden is really pissed off in a way I have never seen before.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:05 PM   #266
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Apparently, there’s now like 50 accounts on Parler pretending to be Trump.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:17 PM   #267
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

You sure about that? Facebook did, but I've seen nothing about Twitter following that lead yet.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:20 PM   #268
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Facebook is a permaban apparently.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:20 PM   #269
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

His campaign online store has been taken down
Old 7th January 2021, 12:31 PM   #270
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, his latest (final?) Tweet has over 400,000 comments. It's a new record!
Old 7th January 2021, 12:33 PM   #271
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

His campaign online store has been taken down

Chalk up one more failed business!
Old 7th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #272
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pelosi just laid down the law: Invoke the 25th or she will start impeachment proceedings.Going to be a fun two weeks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:45 PM   #273
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has access to the nuclear codes but he can't Tweet or post to Facebook.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:45 PM   #274
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I love this for some reason.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:45 PM   #275
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

PELOSI: "The President of the United States incited an armed insurrection against America."
Old 7th January 2021, 12:48 PM   #276
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham on Cspan says all of Trump's accomplishments are "tarnished" by yesterday's riots.

He says that "the president is frustrated" as if that justifies an attempted coup
Old 7th January 2021, 12:51 PM   #277
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

JUst saw Giuliani do a jaw dropping "I was SHocked..Shocked" about the insurrection yesterday.
He made Claude Rains in "Casablanca" look like an amateur.
"Trial by combat" indeed.
Watch Ivanhoe or El CId on hos to do it right, Rudy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #278
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Lindsey Graham on Cspan says all of Trump's accomplishments are "tarnished" by yesterday's riots.

He says that "the president is frustrated" as if that justifies an attempted coup
Poor, poor pitiful Trump. He should be incarcerated, not just "frustrated."
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #279
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
The prank potential is enormous.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:35 PM   #280
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I love this for some reason.
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
The prank potential is enormous.
Yeah, this will make any hypothetical move of actual Trump to Parler difficult.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics