IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 9th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #721
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Shouldn't there be equal concern that people who would travel all the way across the country for a lame duck Trump rally are almost certainly people who believe that Trump won the election and/or that Biden should not be inaugurated?
True, but being stupid isn't a fireable offense. It should be but it isn't.
Old 9th January 2021, 01:12 PM   #722
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Moving the Inauguration would be a huge mistake, in that it it would be a huge symbolic win for the MAGAts: "Look at them running scared from us Patriots!" There have a been a lot of arrests the last two days, but you know there's still tens of thousands of like-minded idiots still out there.

As dangerous as it might be, Biden needs to stand in the exact place they tried to deny him, to show them that they failed to deny him that spot.

Every government employee in DC who carries a gun should be on duty, and the crowd allowed onto the Mall to watch the Inauguration will have to be extremely well vetted and searched, but a public Inauguration on the steps of the Capitol is absolutely essential at this moment.
I'm going to suggest any further attempts at disrupting the process are going to be met with a little more resistance.

Edited to remove the not

Last edited by pgwenthold; 9th January 2021 at 01:27 PM.
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 01:15 PM   #723
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You think? The woman is a medical doctor.
There is a woman doctor from Washington that was actually involved.

She is an anti-masker.
Old 9th January 2021, 01:16 PM   #724
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I'm going to suggest any further attempts at disrupting the process are not going to be met with a little more resistance.
Or are?

FYI, the Maryland National Guard Unit that is on site has been mobilized through the inauguration.
Old 9th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #725
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Yesterday on npr, a journalist claimed the FBI could identify everyone who was in that building with an active phone, to a position within two or three feet, through the provider's data streams. If that's true, they might even be able to ID the MAGA responsible for killing one of the cops. It seems practically all of the attackers had their phones on throughout the attack.
I don't know how that would work, unless they have triangulation data from cell towers.

I have heard claims that they can do it from the public wifi, but that would only give them which server they were logged into and not the specific position.
Old 9th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #726
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Quick question: what did she have in her backpack?

She wasn't "breaking the law" she was trying to break into the chambers where leaders of our federal government were sequestered. She was carrying a large pack on her back.

She was actively attacking congress.

That's a little more than "breaking the law." It's not like she was jaywalking.
Breaking the law (which she was) is irrelevant. Her backpack is irrelevant. Breaking through that door was reasonably perceived as a threat to life and stopping it needed to be that officer's highest priority. His position at that moment should have been that he needed to shoot once to stop her and hope that he had enough bullets left to use on whoever would be following her (fortunately no one else tried).
Old 9th January 2021, 01:21 PM   #727
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I don't know how that would work, unless they have triangulation data from cell towers.

I have heard claims that they can do it from the public wifi, but that would only give them which server they were logged into and not the specific position.
I wonder if the Capitol Police or FBI have monitoring set up on the towers in the area, sort like a permanent Stingray.

Or is that in the next budget?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #728
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The mob seems to be pretty much middle class folk.
About a week before, over on the OANN comment section an alleged Architect showed up and announced that he would be traveling across the country to be there on the sixth. I wonder if he made the FBI list?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 01:34 PM   #729
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I wonder if the Capitol Police or FBI have monitoring set up on the towers in the area, sort like a permanent Stingray.

That would take some foresight, but it could be.

Off topic but related:
A few years ago, I got a message from the university IT that said that my course had been identified as a course that was classified as "attendance critical," in that there was a very strong correlation between class attendance and success in the course.

I was like, I'm glad to hear it, but I have to ask, how in the hell do you know that? I don't even take attendance in class, how do you?

What they did was to track student location by looking at whether they logged into the wifi routers in the classroom, so they could see who, among the students with phones or computers, were there.

You might complain about "big brother watching you" but the university's position is that the students are logging in to the university's wifi system, so they aren't tracking the students, it's the students who are telling the university where they are.

I always tell my students this story at the beginning of the semester, and warn them that if they don't want the university to know where they are, they need to turn off the wifi on their phones. If the wifi is on, the university can track your location all over campus.
Old 9th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #730
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The level of detail is dictated by the specific setup. The equipment, the geography, the software. This all varies from base station to carrier. Antennas are directional. Their range is also limited to their power settings. They could possibly tell if someone is in a specific hallway. You can also get an idea through antenna handoffs.

The latest equipment and software availabe today is amazing and is always changing but the cell networks out there are a giant mishmash of much older equipment and state of the art.
Old 9th January 2021, 02:01 PM   #731
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The level of detail is dictated by the specific setup. The equipment, the geography, the software. This all varies from base station to carrier. Antennas are directional. Their range is also limited to their power settings. They could possibly tell if someone is in a specific hallway. You can also get an idea through antenna handoffs.

The latest equipment and software availabe today is amazing and is always changing but the cell networks out there are a giant mishmash of much older equipment and state of the art.
My MapMyRun app is able to determine it's own location, but that's because it looks for tower signals to do it. What we are talking about here is harder, coming from the other direction, and is a LOT of data.
Old 9th January 2021, 02:08 PM   #732
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
About a week before, over on the OANN comment section an alleged Architect showed up and announced that he would be traveling across the country to be there on the sixth. I wonder if he made the FBI list?
UPDATE:I just found his posts again and I see he references DD from this non-article.

GOP in the Senate had better smarten up. Dinesh lays it all out. (General Dispatch)

I haven't seen Dinesh D'Souza mentioned yet. I wonder what **** he was saying leading up to the sixth and what he's saying now?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #733
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

UPDATE:I just found his posts again and I see he references DD from this non-article.

GOP in the Senate had better smarten up. Dinesh lays it all out. (General Dispatch)

I haven't seen Dinesh D'Souza mentioned yet. I wonder what **** he was saying leading up to the sixth and what he's saying now?
Dinesh D'Souza is a felony waiting to happen and this time Trump won't be around to save him.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #734
Reformed Offlian
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Keep hope alive.
Maybe she'll get half his guns?
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 02:25 PM   #735
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

My MapMyRun app is able to determine it's own location, but that's because it looks for tower signals to do it. What we are talking about here is harder, coming from the other direction, and is a LOT of data.
Your cell phone has multiple radios in it. A cell phone radio, a GPS radio, a WIFI radio, a bluetooth radio. Depending on what is running, the cell antenna and base station can log a tremendous amount of data including your GPS location which can pinpoint your location within feet. However, it might not be able to know say what floor you're on. But there are many reasons why the carrier would only log a minimum amout of that data and not have that data available for law enforcement.
Old 9th January 2021, 02:31 PM   #736
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There is a woman doctor from Washington that was actually involved.

She is an anti-masker.
Ninja'd several times over, but Ron and Rand Paul are also medical doctors.
Old 9th January 2021, 02:38 PM   #737
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ninja'd several times over, but Ron and Rand Paul are also medical doctors.
So is Ben Carson.
Old 9th January 2021, 02:47 PM   #738
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Iíve heard these are in the next security budget:

Old 9th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #739
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Iíve heard these are in the next security budget:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12726
"Are You Nancy Pelosi?"

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 03:03 PM   #740
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
"Are You Nancy Pelosi?"
Nancy Pelosi 2.0
Old 9th January 2021, 04:46 PM   #741
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Retired Air Force lieutenant colonel Larry Rendall Brock Jr. was identified as part of the mob in the Capitol.

Photographs appear show the man wearing tactical gear, including a helmet, and at one point holding zip ties. Other images appear to show another individual holding cable ties.

Pictures were taken of him outside Nancy Pelosi's office. He says he didn't enter but there are images of him leaving the office.

He also says he picked the zip ties off the floor and intended to give them to a police officer. Also, not believable.
Old 9th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #742
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I’m sure they were all in fact either looking for the toilet or where to buy a ticket for a tour.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:00 PM   #743
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I am reverting to a previously held position.
One that the poster I was responding to seems to agree with.
The use of the term "execution" in instances such as the one being discussed is wrong, unfounded, and indicative of a bias that blinds one from making a reasoned argument.

Neither dishonest, nor hypocritical. In spite of your unfounded accusations.
Well you are being disingenuous if you cannot distinguish between a genuine severe immediate threat and the multiple killings of people who were no threat.

Although I prefer the term murder, for a lot of them rather than execution.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #744
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/Elaijuh/status/1347205394393927697

Quote:
The Trump campaign lawyer who said there were a “non-zero number” of Republicans observing Philly vote count asks to withdraw:

“client has used the lawyer’s services to perpetrate a crime and the client insists upon taking action that the lawyer considers repugnant”
Document embedded in tweet.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:12 PM   #745
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Your cell phone has multiple radios in it. A cell phone radio, a GPS radio, a WIFI radio, a bluetooth radio. Depending on what is running, the cell antenna and base station can log a tremendous amount of data including your GPS location which can pinpoint your location within feet. However, it might not be able to know say what floor you're on. But there are many reasons why the carrier would only log a minimum amout of that data and not have that data available for law enforcement.
I guess my question is whether the federal government has previously asked cell phone carriers to keep more than the normal amount of data for towers in sensitive locations, you know, like around the Russian embassy or the White House. It would make sense and could be a request that still requires a warrant to actually get the information.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:15 PM   #746
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I guess my question is whether the federal government has previously asked cell phone carriers to keep more than the normal amount of data for towers in sensitive locations, you know, like around the Russian embassy or the White House. It would make sense and could be a request that still requires a warrant to actually get the information.
I'd guess that they would. But I wouldn't presume to actually know.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:19 PM   #747
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

The comment section - going back to before the coup - is a real hoot.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:20 PM   #748
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Iím thinking more along the lines that if they were jointly complicit in the commission of a crime and that crime lead to a death, are they then all to some degree complicit in the homicide? I believe that applies to say bank robberies but they tend to be more planned. I have no idea.
I get you. Yea, that's certainly an interesting possibility.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:21 PM   #749
slyjoe
Master Poster

I'd guess that they would. But I wouldn't presume to actually know.
Just a nit. The base stations don't have the smarts - the central offices do. In general, a call is received by multiple towers at once; the central office obtains the data and determines how a call is handled. And even if you aren't on a call, the location services have to know where you are in case someone calls you.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:22 PM   #750
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
ďRats fleeing a sinking shipĒ doesnít really do it justice.

More like maggots squirming away from a bloated corpse.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:26 PM   #751
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Maybe. I'm always a bit skeptical since I sold that kind of equipment for thirty years. I have read many exaggerations from so called authorities about the level of detail. It all depends on the setup. So much of the Capitol is stone and granite. It was probably a nightmare to set up to receive decent cell service. That is until the last 15 years and the advent of microcells. These are just like any other cell phone antenna except they run at very low power to limit their coverage. I am just not personally knowledgeable of the Capitol's cell service structure.

You combine this with video surveillance, social networks and the like and you very well maybe be able to do that.
I hope so. The ping activity should be a treasure of useful information.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:28 PM   #752
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I saw a video from when they broke through the first barricade. It was probably 100 yds or more in front of the capital.

By the time they got to the steps, the riot squad should have been there.

That video of when they were at the gates on the steps is at least checkpoint 2
I suspect there was some inside cooperation, both in preparation and on the ground. I hope not, but I suspect it.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:35 PM   #753
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I was under the impression they did. Could be wrong.
Old 9th January 2021, 06:05 PM   #754
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Just a nit. The base stations don't have the smarts - the central offices do. In general, a call is received by multiple towers at once; the central office obtains the data and determines how a call is handled. And even if you aren't on a call, the location services have to know where you are in case someone calls you.
For the most part that is true.

A normal cell site/base station includes antennas, and a router that communicate to the CO and your phone. But the routers are not dumb by any means. The COs are just other routers that automatically determine call routing. These central routers are attached to servers that logged the calls as well as other data such as GPS info.
Old 9th January 2021, 06:16 PM   #755
slyjoe
Master Poster

For the most part that is true.

A normal cell site/base station includes antennas, and a router that communicate to the CO and your phone. But the routers are not dumb by any means. The COs are just other routers that automatically determine call routing. These central routers are attached to servers that logged the calls as well as other data such as GPS info.
They're a little more complicated than servers due to the real time nature of some of their functions. I used to design BSCs.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 06:36 PM   #756
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
They're a little more complicated than servers due to the real time nature of some of their functions. I used to design BSCs.
Things have changed my friend. The world has passed us by.

Quote:
A smart central office consists of a service provider installing servers, storage and switching to create mini data centers in selected existing COs.
https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...r-says-analyst

Last edited by acbytesla; 9th January 2021 at 06:58 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 07:42 PM   #757
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Retired Air Force lieutenant colonel Larry Rendall Brock Jr. was identified as part of the mob in the Capitol.

Photographs appear show the man wearing tactical gear, including a helmet, and at one point holding zip ties. Other images appear to show another individual holding cable ties.

Pictures were taken of him outside Nancy Pelosi's office. He says he didn't enter but there are images of him leaving the office.

He also says he picked the zip ties off the floor and intended to give them to a police officer. Also, not believable.
Conspiracy to commit kidnapping?

Might be tough to get a conviction, but it does seem fairly certain it's what he had in mind.

Except perhaps another possibility. Conspiracy to commit cosplay. He never actually expected to get into the Capitol. It's so difficult to know what these lunatics were actually thinking. That includes the one in the Oval Office.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:21 PM   #758
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Might be tough to get a conviction, but it does seem fairly certain it's what he had in mind.

Except perhaps another possibility. Conspiracy to commit cosplay. He never actually expected to get into the Capitol. It's so difficult to know what these lunatics were actually thinking. That includes the one in the Oval Office.
It's impossible to say what they were up to. Still the mob erected gallows outside the Capitol and at least 2 individuals had the big zip tie style handcuffs, and lots of people were asking where is Pence?

I believe that most of this group didn't have a clue what they were doing. That doesn't mean that some didn't have specific plans to apprehend members of Congress.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:50 PM   #759
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Charge em with conspiracy to piss me off. I want these ******** to rot in prison.
Old 9th January 2021, 09:06 PM   #760
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It's too bad that there isn't a charge of "being a ******* dumbass."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics