IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 10th January 2021, 02:45 AM   #761
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Retired Air Force lieutenant colonel Larry Rendall Brock Jr. was identified as part of the mob in the Capitol.

Photographs appear show the man wearing tactical gear, including a helmet, and at one point holding zip ties. Other images appear to show another individual holding cable ties.

Pictures were taken of him outside Nancy Pelosi's office. He says he didn't enter but there are images of him leaving the office.

He also says he picked the zip ties off the floor and intended to give them to a police officer. Also, not believable.
Brock is definitely lying about the zip ties; he's just trying to save his ass. He's a nut case:

Quote:
Brock can also be seen on a video from ITV News exiting Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office suite with a group of insurrectionists known to have been inside. Brock denied this allegation in conversations with The New Yorker, saying he stopped five to ten feet short of the offices when others entered.
Quote:
As for the helmet and body armor, Brock told The New Yorker that he was afraid of being attacked by members of Black Lives Matter and Antifa. “I didn’t want to get stabbed or hurt,” he said.
Quote:
The retired officer’s family and friends expressed concerns about his radical political views. “I don’t contact him anymore ‘cause he’s gotten extreme,” Bill Leake, an Air Force officer who had served with Brock, told the New Yorker.
Quote:
Some family members said white-supremacist beliefs may have motivated Brock to storm the Capitol.

Brock cited the president’s false claims of massive election fraud as his motivation and denied holding any racist views.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...enant-colonel/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 02:56 AM   #762
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Conspiracy to commit kidnapping?

Might be tough to get a conviction, but it does seem fairly certain it's what he had in mind.

Except perhaps another possibility. Conspiracy to commit cosplay. He never actually expected to get into the Capitol. It's so difficult to know what these lunatics were actually thinking. That includes the one in the Oval Office.
It seems like sedition would be an easy case to make. You need two or more people to work in concert to violently disrupt the workings of government. It was clearly more than two people, they were violent and they did disrupt the functions of the government.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:12 AM   #763
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/sta...13803158945793

Quote:
Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mich.)—the Republican who won the seat previously held by Justin Amash—tells Reason some House Republicans who voted to reject the election results knew they were lying about the election but worried about the safety of their families. https://reason.com/2021/01/08/amash-...mpression=true
Article and excerpts embedded in tweet and subsequent tweets.
Old 10th January 2021, 03:16 AM   #764
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

of course they are scared. They have every reason to be.

Problem is: if you support Trump, there will come a time you become the target of his mob no matter what you do - see what Graham got called at the airport.

So the question is not whether their family will get threatened, but when.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:20 AM   #765
Wudang
BOFH

Interesting article by someone who’s been watching Trump followers on the internet. https://www.gq.com/story/man-predict...coup-interview
Old 10th January 2021, 05:25 AM   #766
slyjoe
Master Poster

Things have changed my friend. The world has passed us by.
Figures. I was in 3G and the start of 4G. Then I went back to space comms.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:50 AM   #767
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
“Rats fleeing a sinking ship” doesn’t really do it justice.

More like maggots squirming away from a bloated corpse.
Well, with one difference; the maggots already got their meal. I doubt the lawyers are going to get paid.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:54 AM   #768
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Video out that shows the fash beating a downed police officer on the steps, it is widely believed this is the cop that later died from a trauma induced stroke.

Effort underway to identify those seen in the many videos and photos.

https://twitter.com/No_Nazis_Please/...33093647675395

CHUDs singing the national anthem while murdering a cop.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/video/...003754604.html
Old 10th January 2021, 06:10 AM   #769
Spyke
Critical Thinker

That makes my stomach sick. Those poor cops never stood a chance. ******* disgusting.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:14 AM   #770
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
At the time Britain was a constitutional monarchy, one of the major beefs the Brits in the colonies had is pithily summed up in the political slogan “No taxation without representation”. The Boston Tea party episode was a protest about taxation.

The “Boston Tea Party” was a protest against a private company over what was considered unfair taxation.

How can that be linked to the events on 6th January?
At the risk of nitpicking the BTP had an awful lot to do with the profitable smuggling line run by 'King' Hancock, the financier of the terrorist group called the "Sons of Liberty"m and the risk to it from the cheap, legal, EIC tea compared to smuggled Ditch tea, There is also the matter of the EIC's corrupt relationship with the GB parliament and the decision by North to exclude it from excise duties.
Then there is the bitter relationship between Adams and Hutchinson dating back to Deacon Adams and the Land Bank.

But I digress...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:16 AM   #771
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I know there are special categories of charges for theft of mail. But doesn't that have to be mail in transit? If someone breaks into my house and makes off with my Bed Bath & Beyond coupon, is that a Federal mail theft charge because it was once in the mail? I don't think so.

On the other hand, a piece of delivered mail is a document, and stealing documents from a congressperson's office might invite other applicable charges, such as espionage.
If there's a fingerprint on a keyboard the NSA of 1947 may be applicable.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:20 AM   #772
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There is a lot you need to educate yourself about.
Sort of amazed someone from Philidephia doe snot know the basic facts of the Amereican Revolution.
In my experience most USAians are woefully ignorant of the realities of their history.
The importance of Edward "Old Grog" Vernon and his relationship to the Washingtons, the heroism of Benedict Arnold, et cetera.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:22 AM   #773
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I guess people just weren't on the same page. Everyone had been screaming about overturning the election by force, and some people came prepared for that with zip ties and weapons, but it seems most of them just went there to have some boisterous fun. Shame on the officer for taking them at their word and responding as if they had planned to overturn the election by force.
Indeed. The chanting about hanging Pence was merely high spirits....
Old 10th January 2021, 06:29 AM   #774
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
At the risk of nitpicking the BTP had an awful lot to do with the profitable smuggling line run by 'King' Hancock, the financier of the terrorist group called the "Sons of Liberty"m and the risk to it from the cheap, legal, EIC tea compared to smuggled Ditch tea, There is also the matter of the EIC's corrupt relationship with the GB parliament and the decision by North to exclude it from excise duties.
Then there is the bitter relationship between Adams and Hutchinson dating back to Deacon Adams and the Land Bank.

But I digress...
Oh I agree, like any event that is considered a “pivotable” historical moment the actual history is always much more complicated - and I’d say much more interesting - than the popular myth.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:30 AM   #775
catsmate
No longer the 1

I have to disagree. PLanigale is not a right wing supporter; he comes off more like a beleiver in total non violence who does not want to face the reality that it simply does not work in the real world. unless you want to turn over the truly evil.
Or he puts such strict restrictions on the use of force so make it impossible to use it.
He's engaged in an awful lot of Trump/BoJo apologism so I don't give him any credence.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:31 AM   #776
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
RAF has a separate infantry arm the 'RAF Regiment'
Their job is to secure and protect airfields and such.
They are a 'combined arms' infantry force.
They would also be the ones going through the Stargate.
Or staffing the Intrusion Counter-Measure Group....
Old 10th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #777
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I once read that, among those in the scientific professions, medical doctors had the highest rates of creationists. Of course, I'm hoping she's deeply offended by everything he stands for, but I'd be surprised if she is.
It's a variation on the Salem Hypothesis. Physicians are not, with rare exceptions, actual scientists; they're medical engineers who don't have the training and mentality for experimental work and tend to over-estimate their own expertise and intelligence.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:41 AM   #778
catsmate
No longer the 1

Too bad Napoleon was not in charge. He knew how to disperse a mob trying to storm a plece where a ligislature was meeting....

Or his Honorverse analogue, Admiral Cluster Bomb.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:44 AM   #779
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Shouldn't there be equal concern that people who would travel all the way across the country for a lame duck Trump rally are almost certainly people who believe that Trump won the election and/or that Biden should not be inaugurated?
Unfortunately the Being Bloody Stupid Act never reached the statute books due to Republican fears it would drastically disenfranchise their voter base.
Old 10th January 2021, 07:27 AM   #780
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Video out that shows the fash beating a downed police officer on the steps, it is widely believed this is the cop that later died from a trauma induced stroke.

Effort underway to identify those seen in the many videos and photos.

https://twitter.com/No_Nazis_Please/...33093647675395

CHUDs singing the national anthem while murdering a cop.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/video/...003754604.html
Yes, the people going, oh, they were just peaceful demonstrators having a nice little tour of the halls of Congress, can't possibly have seen any of the videos of the storming of the Capitol. The people saying shooting one of the mob was murder or an execution can't possibly have thought about what could happen if the mob got hold of a senior politician.

Look at this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Over 50 police officers got injured. One of them got killed.

These were not peaceful protestors that just wanted their voice heard, and it's far from just a handful of them being violent. They are damn lucky that the police showed enough restraint to shoot just one of them.

If only American police had shown this much restraint every other day of the year, USA would be a much better place to live.

Last edited by Ryokan; 10th January 2021 at 07:28 AM.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 08:35 AM   #781
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's a variation on the Salem Hypothesis. Physicians are not, with rare exceptions, actual scientists; they're medical engineers who don't have the training and mentality for experimental work and tend to over-estimate their own expertise and intelligence.

Off on a tangent, the Hero System tabletop RPG distinguishes between Professional Skills and Knowledge Skills. One gives you the ability to perform a task and earn a living while the other gives you the background theoretical knowledge. How to do something vs. how something works. An example in one of the books is that someone with PS: Plumbing can fix a broken pipe but may not know anything about fluid mechanics.

EDIT: A more real world example, people taking general medical advice from a cardiac surgeon because he's "a doctor". (Oz)

Last edited by Armitage72; 10th January 2021 at 08:39 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 08:35 AM   #782
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Apologies if posted already, but this is a chilling account of what was happening inside the Capitol as right wing terrorists stormed the building (fair warning, it’s behind a paywall):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit....co/kDFJ0CRXgy

This was a coup. About that, there can be no doubt.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 08:49 AM   #783
xjx388
Philosopher

You think? The woman is a medical doctor.

You think that means anything? I can tell you from experience that it doesn’t.
Old 10th January 2021, 08:51 AM   #784
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well you are being disingenuous if you cannot distinguish between a genuine severe immediate threat and the multiple killings of people who were no threat.

Although I prefer the term murder, for a lot of them rather than execution.
Yes, a genuine severe immediate threat existed that would have involved multiple killings of people who were no threat: Mike Pence, Nancy Pelosi, Charles Schumer, members of "The Squad", assorted Republicans perceived to be insufficiently supportive of Dear Leader, anyone with a D after their name (in that approximate order),
Old 10th January 2021, 09:01 AM   #785
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Yes, a genuine severe immediate threat existed that would have involved multiple killings of people who were no threat: Mike Pence, Nancy Pelosi, Charles Schumer, members of "The Squad", assorted Republicans perceived to be insufficiently supportive of Dear Leader, anyone with a D after their name (in that approximate order),
Actually, Mike Pence should not be on that list if my comment is taken to be relating to the shooting incident. All accounts refer to Mike Pence having been the first one evacuated so it is likely he was already far away (I'm guessing something about a large, angry mob shouting "hang Mike Pence" may have made his security detail slightly uneasy).
Old 10th January 2021, 09:18 AM   #786
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Apologies if posted already, but this is a chilling account of what was happening inside the Capitol as right wing terrorists stormed the building (fair warning, it’s behind a paywall):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit....co/kDFJ0CRXgy

This was a coup. About that, there can be no doubt.
I said this the other day. Far from being not a big deal, this was far more serious than was being shown.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:25 AM   #787
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Powerful Video Arnold Schwarzenegger

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/s...284874240?s=20
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:28 AM   #788
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I said this the other day. Far from being not a big deal, this was far more serious than was being shown.
I think so, too. The insurrectionists would certainly have harmed members of Congress if they'd got their hands on them. It might be difficult for some people to wrap their heads around it, but there it is. It's absolutely abominable and unforgivable.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:30 AM   #789
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
(I'm guessing something about a large, angry mob shouting "hang Mike Pence" may have made his security detail slightly uneasy).
I remember when Reagan was shot. Some pretty heavy armament, in this case an Uzi, came out immediately.

I imagine Pence is equally protected with such armament. It could have been a bloodbath if any of the rioters had gotten anywhere near him with such chants.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 10th January 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:34 AM   #790
johnny karate

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Yes, and the truth of that is being revealed day after day.

But according to the “Let’s investigate Benghazi multiple times over several years” Republicans, we all just need to move on and... *checks notes*... “heal”.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:37 AM   #791
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I think so, too. The insurrectionists would certainly have harmed members of Congress if they'd got their hands on them. It might be difficult for some people to wrap their heads around it, but there it is. It's absolutely abominable and unforgivable.
There was the mob of dangerous and violent useful idiots and there were those who were serious fascist terrorists hiding amongst them.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #792
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I really, really want to go on Facebook and call out all my Republican Friends, but so far I've avoided most political posting. Most of their feeds are probably hidden from my view anyway. And I know it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, anyway.
Old 10th January 2021, 10:40 AM   #793
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump encouraged a coup attempt on Wednesday and he’s still president four days later.
How is that possible?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 10:44 AM   #794
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Some of the "special", "beloved", "patriotic" terrorists wore shirts with "Camp Auschwitz" and others with "6MNE", which I've come to learn stands for Six Million Not Enough.
Old 10th January 2021, 10:44 AM   #795
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

In my experience most USAians are woefully ignorant of the realities of their history.
The importance of Edward "Old Grog" Vernon and his relationship to the Washingtons, the heroism of Benedict Arnold, et cetera.
I'm not familiar with Vernon other than Mt Vernon Washington's home was named after him. Arnold OTOH, I 'm very much familiar with. He was a hell of a soldier. Still, it's too bad he wasn't hung for his treachery.
Old 10th January 2021, 10:44 AM   #796
johnny karate

Trump encouraged a coup attempt on Wednesday and he’s still president four days later.
How is that possible?
‘Merica!
Old 10th January 2021, 11:08 AM   #797
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I really, really want to go on Facebook and call out all my Republican Friends, but so far I've avoided most political posting. Most of their feeds are probably hidden from my view anyway. And I know it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, anyway.
I've already been unfollowed by the one's I've tried to engage with "Wait, would you please look at and consider this." The reactionary that does continue dialogue with me has simply grown more bigoted. Nothing I've said has ever changed his raciest heart.

So I've stopped commenting and sharing on FB. I keep the account open so I can send private messages of personal communication.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:10 AM   #798
Apathia
Philosopher

How is that possible?
America, Darling.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:28 AM   #799
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Some of the "special", "beloved", "patriotic" terrorists wore shirts with "Camp Auschwitz" and others with "6MNE", which I've come to learn stands for Six Million Not Enough.
Well obviously the "six million not enough" was from a fan of the old six million dollar man tv series, and wanted a reboot or sequel.

(In keeping with all the other lame excuses made by the rioters and their enablers)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 10th January 2021 at 11:34 AM.
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:32 AM   #800
Wudang
BOFH

Now that is a headline.

https://twitter.com/krupali/status/1...346536960?s=21

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics